Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    Got my second jab today. If nothing else, I’m just glad my life will be easier for attending events, traveling, etc. My wife is a nurse and it’s interesting to hear that a few of her coworkers will be refusing the shot and might lose their job because of it as her system is requiring it by the end of November. 
    Curious for the few of you who are just getting your second shot. What was the hold up? I’m not essential and have been fully vaccinated since March. 
    I had covid at the beginning of the summer and was advised to wait a bit before getting the vaccine. 
    Makes sense. Got it.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,567
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    Dr Falsey? that's not even a good nickname. be better. be best. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Got my second jab today. If nothing else, I’m just glad my life will be easier for attending events, traveling, etc. My wife is a nurse and it’s interesting to hear that a few of her coworkers will be refusing the shot and might lose their job because of it as her system is requiring it by the end of November. 
    Curious for the few of you who are just getting your second shot. What was the hold up? I’m not essential and have been fully vaccinated since March. 
    Felt like waiting to see more info come out about the vaccines.  I initially wanted the J&J.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,839
    mickeyrat said:

I have a friend with a veterinary practice and their clinic can’t get ivermectin for legitimate veterinary uses right now. It’s back ordered everywhere. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,404
    mickeyrat said:

I have a friend with a veterinary practice and their clinic can’t get ivermectin for legitimate veterinary uses right now. It’s back ordered everywhere. 
    Yup. Have family that run a fairly large diary farm. Can’t get the stuff. They already were hit hard by the drought here in MN. Now they are starting to worry about losing cows to worms.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,835
    mickeyrat said:

Yup. Have family that run a fairly large diary farm. Can’t get the stuff. They already were hit hard by the drought here in MN. Now they are starting to worry about losing cows to worms.
    I thought all of the idiots were not buying up the stuff for horses though. Thats what the right wing social media told me at least. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    mickeyrat said:

I thought all of the idiots were not buying up the stuff for horses though. Thats what the right wing social media told me at least. 
    Preparations for human use are prescription only, so if people are using it for covid they are (1) getting some doctor to prescribe it, or (2) buying veterinary preparations. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,292
    I need to go try to convince my husband that I didn't write this.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,686
    Canada opened the door to fully vaxxed tourists outside of the US today. Also, BC app gave us a vaccine passport today required for unessential fun things.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,963
  • Options
    There is data that an inexpensive prescription medication helps to reduce the chance that mild covid will progress, but that medication isn't ivermectin, it's fluvoxamine, a common antidepressant.

Data from the Together trial does not show ivermectin to be efficacious. Like so many things associated with the right, the story of its effectiveness seems based on fraud and misrepresentation. 

https://www.wired.com/story/better-data-on-ivermectin-is-finally-on-its-way/

EDWARD MILLS CAME to the meeting last month with very good data. A clinical trials expert at McMaster University, Mills was presenting new results from a trial that is looking at how well half a dozen different drugs treat Covid-19—not for the people so sick they’re in the emergency room or the hospital, but in people whose symptoms haven’t gotten that bad yet. People sick at home, in other words.

At his online talk, put on by the National Institutes of Health, Mills’ slides told the tale: A relatively safe, familiar, cheap drug reduced the relative risk of mild Covid getting worse by nearly 30 percent. The drug is fluvoxamine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor—an antidepressant. (It’s also an anti-inflammatory, and inflammation and an overreacting immune system are hallmarks of serious Covid infection, so that might be why it seems to help). Get a bunch of people with Covid and randomize them into two groups; 739 get fluvoxamine and 733 get a placebo. Only 77 of the fluvoxamine-takers end up in the hospital; 109 of the placebo group do. This is exciting.

“This is the first time these results have been presented in a public forum?” asked the moderator, Adrian Hernandez, director of the Duke Clinical Research Institute.

“Yeah,” Mills answered. “You are hearing it for the first time.”

“Well, simply, wow,” Hernandez said. If the data bears out, it’ll be only the second repurposed drug that works for outpatient Covid-19. (The other is a steroid called budesonide; other drugs you might have heard of, like remdesivir or dexamethasone, are for people who are severely ill and hospitalized.) The team’s results haven’t been peer-reviewed or officially published yet, but the Together trial, on which Mills is co-principal investigator, is well-designed and respected. Now, to be clear, fluvoxamine is still a ways off from becoming part of the standard of care for people with Covid-19. Once the Together trial’s results get published, guideline-setting organizations like the US Food and Drug Administration and the World Health Organization will have to take a look. But the Together trial data, if it holds up, seems positive for the SSRI.

But wait! There’s more! In the very same presentation, the very same trial that showed this antidepressant might lessen the symptoms of Covid-19 also showed that the antiparasitic drug ivermectin—you’ve heard about that one, right?—doesn’t help at all. In the Together trial, that drug, commonly used against things like river blindness and intestinal roundworms, didn’t keep anyone with Covid out of the hospital any better than a placebo. Of 677 people with Covid who got 400 micrograms per kilogram of weight per day for three days, 86 ended up in the ER or hospital; of the 678 people who got a placebo, 95 went. That’s not a significant difference, and Mills’ team dropped it from the study. (Vaccination, I should add, is still the most effective, safest, cheapest, and easiest way to avoid getting sick.)

Ivermectin had some promising early results against the virus in petri dishes and in smaller and observational studies, but it still hasn’t aced a trial. Of two apparent large-scale confirmations of its effects, one (a preprint from researchers in Egypt) got retracted over concerns about plagiarism and fake data. Scientists and journalists at BuzzFeed have found irregularities in the data from another. A separate, positive review of all the data on ivermectin was rejected from a journal after provisional acceptance for concerns about research integrity and conflicts of interest, while a strict meta-analysis of all the randomized, controlled trials of ivermectin against Covid found no positive effect for the drug. The FDA says people shouldn’t take it. The American Medical Association and two pharmacist associations have issued a statement recommending that none of their members prescribe ivermectin for Covid-19 outside of a clinical trial. (Oh, and a physician in Arkansas gave the drug to unknowing, unconsenting prison inmates, which generally is not the side of history you want to be on.)

article continued at link

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I'd like to think that channels you, me, and millions of others...we all wrote it.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    OnWis97 said:
    I'd like to think that channels you, me, and millions of others...we all wrote it.
    That piece’ll really have an effect on those who’ve elected to not get vaxxed.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    you think that was the intent, do you?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    There is data that an inexpensive prescription medication helps to reduce the chance that mild covid will progress, but that medication isn't ivermectin, it's fluvoxamine, a common antidepressant.

Data from the Together trial does not show ivermectin to be efficacious. Like so many things associated with the right, the story of its effectiveness seems based on fraud and misrepresentation. 

https://www.wired.com/story/better-data-on-ivermectin-is-finally-on-its-way/

EDWARD MILLS CAME to the meeting last month with very good data. A clinical trials expert at McMaster University, Mills was presenting new results from a trial that is looking at how well half a dozen different drugs treat Covid-19—not for the people so sick they’re in the emergency room or the hospital, but in people whose symptoms haven’t gotten that bad yet. People sick at home, in other words.

At his online talk, put on by the National Institutes of Health, Mills’ slides told the tale: A relatively safe, familiar, cheap drug reduced the relative risk of mild Covid getting worse by nearly 30 percent. The drug is fluvoxamine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor—an antidepressant. (It’s also an anti-inflammatory, and inflammation and an overreacting immune system are hallmarks of serious Covid infection, so that might be why it seems to help). Get a bunch of people with Covid and randomize them into two groups; 739 get fluvoxamine and 733 get a placebo. Only 77 of the fluvoxamine-takers end up in the hospital; 109 of the placebo group do. This is exciting.

“This is the first time these results have been presented in a public forum?” asked the moderator, Adrian Hernandez, director of the Duke Clinical Research Institute.

“Yeah,” Mills answered. “You are hearing it for the first time.”

“Well, simply, wow,” Hernandez said. If the data bears out, it’ll be only the second repurposed drug that works for outpatient Covid-19. (The other is a steroid called budesonide; other drugs you might have heard of, like remdesivir or dexamethasone, are for people who are severely ill and hospitalized.) The team’s results haven’t been peer-reviewed or officially published yet, but the Together trial, on which Mills is co-principal investigator, is well-designed and respected. Now, to be clear, fluvoxamine is still a ways off from becoming part of the standard of care for people with Covid-19. Once the Together trial’s results get published, guideline-setting organizations like the US Food and Drug Administration and the World Health Organization will have to take a look. But the Together trial data, if it holds up, seems positive for the SSRI.

But wait! There’s more! In the very same presentation, the very same trial that showed this antidepressant might lessen the symptoms of Covid-19 also showed that the antiparasitic drug ivermectin—you’ve heard about that one, right?—doesn’t help at all. In the Together trial, that drug, commonly used against things like river blindness and intestinal roundworms, didn’t keep anyone with Covid out of the hospital any better than a placebo. Of 677 people with Covid who got 400 micrograms per kilogram of weight per day for three days, 86 ended up in the ER or hospital; of the 678 people who got a placebo, 95 went. That’s not a significant difference, and Mills’ team dropped it from the study. (Vaccination, I should add, is still the most effective, safest, cheapest, and easiest way to avoid getting sick.)

Ivermectin had some promising early results against the virus in petri dishes and in smaller and observational studies, but it still hasn’t aced a trial. Of two apparent large-scale confirmations of its effects, one (a preprint from researchers in Egypt) got retracted over concerns about plagiarism and fake data. Scientists and journalists at BuzzFeed have found irregularities in the data from another. A separate, positive review of all the data on ivermectin was rejected from a journal after provisional acceptance for concerns about research integrity and conflicts of interest, while a strict meta-analysis of all the randomized, controlled trials of ivermectin against Covid found no positive effect for the drug. The FDA says people shouldn’t take it. The American Medical Association and two pharmacist associations have issued a statement recommending that none of their members prescribe ivermectin for Covid-19 outside of a clinical trial. (Oh, and a physician in Arkansas gave the drug to unknowing, unconsenting prison inmates, which generally is not the side of history you want to be on.)

article continued at link

We should tell people that smoking meth helps with covid symptoms and prevents it.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    you think that was the intent, do you?
    Oh yes 🙄
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    So....I found out Saturday that a friend/neighbor was admitted to the hospital with COVID.

I like the guy and his wife (his wife lost her first husband to cancer...her sons were good friends with my son) and we have hung out a few times.  We lost touch with them in the age of tRump because wife became an absolute tRumpster and still shares all kinds of FB memes that call Democrats/Biden supporters stupid.  I don't like to be called stupid.

Anyway...husband had posted on FB that he was checking into the hospital Saturday.  He didn't give much info but in the comments he said he had Covid.  

Apparently they released him to home health care last night.  He is home but has a nurse that visits twice a day.  He is on 24/7 oxygen and has lost a ton of weight.  His wife told my wife that she is worried about him long term.  He now wants the vaccine (they made fun of it before...saying that drinking apple cider vinegar every day did the trick) but they told him he would need to wait at least three months to get it.

Hopefully his wife will get vaccinated. She tested negative last week.

I'm guessing the hospital is sending people home that are maintaining their oxygen sat rates with regular oxygen to allow more room for more seriously ill Covid patients.  

This guy is 52, not overweight, exercises regularly, no known conditions prior to Covid.

Get fucking vaccinated.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

-- It's McSweeney's, not The Atlantic;

-- The author says it's targeted at two groups, and if someone sent it to you and you're not vaccinated, at least one person still cares about you;

-- Even my mother-in--law, who might be the nicest person in the country, has choice words for people who are refusing the vaccine. The frustration is real.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517
    edited September 2021
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Because those who've elected not to get vaxxed are just waiting for a nicely written piece to politely convince them? 

I get the point you're trying to make, but OTOH, the majority of Americans who have taken the vaccine and want to be done with this pandemic are fed the fuck up with the vaccine resistors, and it's past time we stop coddling them like children. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Sometimes you just have to vent...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

-- The author says it's targeted at two groups, and if someone sent it to you and you're not vaccinated, at least one person still cares about you;

-- Even my mother-in--law, who might be the nicest person in the country, has choice words for people who are refusing the vaccine. The frustration is real.

hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Because those who've elected not to get vaxxed are just waiting for a nicely written piece to politely convince them? 

I get the point you're trying to make, but OTOH, the majority of Americans who have taken the vaccine and want to be done with this pandemic are fed the fuck up with the vaccine resistors, and it's past time we stop coddling them like children. 
    OnWis97 said:
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bingo bango bongo. some just choose to shit on everything they see. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

Forgive my ignorance.  Speaking as a fully vaccinated person my understanding is that the vaccines won’t stop the pandemic, just keep you from getting very sick and dying.  So if the virus still passes amongst the vaccinated and non vaccinated and with billions of unvaccinated people worldwide, how will everyone in the United States being vaccinated stop the pandemic.  And honestly if it is just a pandemic of the unvaccinated let the chips fall where they may
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    static111 said:
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

Forgive my ignorance.  Speaking as a fully vaccinated person my understanding is that the vaccines won’t stop the pandemic, just keep you from getting very sick and dying.  So if the virus still passes amongst the vaccinated and non vaccinated and with billions of unvaccinated people worldwide, how will everyone in the United States being vaccinated stop the pandemic.  And honestly if it is just a pandemic of the unvaccinated let the chips fall where they may
    uh....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    static111 said:
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

You should read up on the burden the unvaccinated are putting on our health care system, and more specifically the health care workers on the frontlines. 
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    That was great; I especially liked the part about someone loving you enough to try and get you to get vaxxed so you won't drown in your own lungs. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Two shots now. I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111 said:
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

You should read up on the burden the unvaccinated are putting on our health care system, and more specifically the health care workers on the frontlines. 

Yeah, this.

1) I've seen some VERY angry people locally, where our vax rate is very good, complaining that loved ones with cancer are having to postpone treatments because the hospitals are full of COVID cases. Those COVID cases are overwhelmingly unvaccinated, so their choice is affecting others.

2) Ditto for spouses/ partners of healthcare workers, who are damn sick and tired of having their loved ones exposed to unnecessary risk because people refused to get vaccinated and then ran to the ER when they caught COVID.

3) Things have changed with delta, but previously, vaccinated people were very, very unlikely to transmit COVID to others. Doctors are finding high viral loads in vaccinated people with the delta variant, but since vaccinated people remain much less likely to get infected, they still are less likely to spread it, so more vaccinated people = fewer hosts = fewer spreaders. 
  • Options
    Two shots now. I AM A GOLDEN GOD

Congratulations! Licking doorknobs and kissing strangers both continue to be discouraged, but otherwise, great!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:

OnWis97 said:
    hedonist said:
    OnWis97 said:
    bingo bango bongo. some just choose to shit on everything they see. 
    Kind of how the McSweeney's author chooses to shit all over folks who made a personal health decision.

I mean, I get it, but to be fair....

https://youtu.be/jv7jcciKB_s
    I SAW PEARL JAM
This discussion has been closed.