Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,039

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522

hahaha that's perfect. I'm surprised it hadn't come up yet (that I've seen, anyway). good ol' Smuckers. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Vets have to be able to cure a pig, a duck, a chicken, a lizard, or a frog. That's it, I'm going to the Farmacy!
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,177
    https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1432488310623047692?s=21
    So this virus will just keep mutating? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,750
    https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1432488310623047692?s=21
    So this virus will just keep mutating? 

all viruses do. its called evolution.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

• lol

"we share the same affliction."
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

LMFAO.  Who the fuck made that call is just stupid.  Ontario’s Canadas most populous province is in a 4th wave getting less than a thousand cases a day.  Canada should close the border to the US until they open their side…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,351

LMFAO.  Who the fuck made that call is just stupid.  Ontario’s Canadas most populous province is in a 4th wave getting less than a thousand cases a day.  Canada should close the border to the US until they open their side…
    Yeah the state department is stupid.  Totally. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,750

just might be possible that this is advised to prevent export of the virus to you guys.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426

I see the advisory as level 3 not 4.... 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    CM189191 said:
    What a fucking morbid website. I mean, I get it. These people were against the vaccine, and died of COVID. The website says "The goal of this list is educational." Yeah sure. That may be a goal. Other goals include ridiculing and shaming dead people, and rubbing salt in the wounds of their friends and family. Who's really going to be visiting that website? Anti-vaxxers who are going to be educated by it and decide to get the vaccine because of it? Or people that revel in the deaths of these anti-vaxxers? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    CM189191 said:
    What a fucking morbid website. I mean, I get it. These people were against the vaccine, and died of COVID. The website says "The goal of this list is educational." Yeah sure. That may be a goal. Other goals include ridiculing and shaming dead people, and rubbing salt in the wounds of their friends and family. Who's really going to be visiting that website? Anti-vaxxers who are going to be educated by it and decide to get the vaccine because of it? Or people that revel in the deaths of these anti-vaxxers? 
    Agreed. That some become giddy over this shit is sad. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    CM189191 said:
    I find it hard to care about anti-vaxers that die that had a platform and used it to get other people to not get vaccinated (and wear masks).  Cause their negative impact is far beyond just their death.

I don't feel good about it, but more of a..."well that makes sense" pragmatism.  Not shocking, terrible that they have also led others to their deaths, and then move on and forget about them.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • shiiiid. i just added that antivaxxer site to my favorites.

just kidding.

So I saw this before and I think it should continue to be studied, but there are real problems with the studies noted:

1. Even though there are multiple trials, they are very small.  Many of them are under 100 people.  That's like a 95/5/5 confidence interval.  Those numbers are fine for business, but not health.  

2. No peer review

3. The conclusion is that there is moderate to compelling evidence that the dewormer can effectively TREAT cases, and prevent them from advancing to severe cases.  There's nothing in here that I saw that it is a sub for the vaccine, which both reduces your likelihood to catch AND advance COVID.  

4. Last, there were only 6 people with severe covid that were given the treatment.  I did not see anything about the result, but at that number, it doesn't matter.  The results are random.
    CM189191 said:
    I find it hard to care about anti-vaxers that die that had a platform and used it to get other people to not get vaccinated (and wear masks).  Cause their negative impact is far beyond just their death.

I don't feel good about it, but more of a..."well that makes sense" pragmatism.  Not shocking, terrible that they have also led others to their deaths, and then move on and forget about them.

You may not feel good about it....but here's little sample of a comment section below one of the dead anti-vaxxers.....

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    And all this is why the FDA is not recommending the treatment.  It's no better than a vaccine, it's untested, not peer reviewed, etc.  Why would they recommend it?  And is it any better than Remdesivir which is actually FDA approved?  I believe that's what Trump got, but not positive. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    CM189191 said:
    Yea! Own those anti-Vaxxers!!! Fucking gross. That website is full of shit. To educate? Yea. Sure. 
    CM189191 said:

You may not feel good about it....but here's little sample of a comment section below one of the dead anti-vaxxers.....

Celebrating death is cruel.  At the same time, news stories about prominent anti-vaxxers and denialists are important.  Publicizing bad choices that lead to bad outcomes can lead some people to better decisions.. hopefully. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    mrussel1 said:
    So I saw this before and I think it should continue to be studied, but there are real problems with the studies noted:

1. Even though there are multiple trials, they are very small.  Many of them are under 100 people.  That's like a 95/5/5 confidence interval.  Those numbers are fine for business, but not health.  

2. No peer review

3. The conclusion is that there is moderate to compelling evidence that the dewormer can effectively TREAT cases, and prevent them from advancing to severe cases.  There's nothing in here that I saw that it is a sub for the vaccine, which both reduces your likelihood to catch AND advance COVID.  

4. Last, there were only 6 people with severe covid that were given the treatment.  I did not see anything about the result, but at that number, it doesn't matter.  The results are random.
    I agree. It's the only place where I found info for the trials so I guess this is what everyone is running with?  I know there is a youtube video but haven't watched it because we all know how those things go...
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Celebrating death is cruel.  At the same time, news stories about prominent anti-vaxxers and denialists are important.  Publicizing bad choices that lead to bad outcomes can lead some people to better decisions.. hopefully. 
    That might be true. In fact, this comment section that I posted is for the death of a conservative radio host. But I think random person that made a facebook post is different than someone like him with a real platform, and that's what most of the people on that site are. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Play stupid games ...
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

That might be true. In fact, this comment section that I posted is for the death of a conservative radio host. But I think random person that made a facebook post is different than someone like him with a real platform, and that's what most of the people on that site are. 
    the misinformation that this guy put on his radio show likely got other people killed. to me, that is unforgivable.

to be frank, i have no sympathy for him. none.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

the misinformation that this guy put on his radio show likely got other people killed. to me, that is unforgivable.

I'm with you.
    I have no sympathy for people who are anti-mask/vaxx and then die from their choices 
    I have even less sympathy for the people in public positions, i.e. radio hosts, TV heads, politicians, religious leaders who are public about being anti-mask/vaxx and then die.
    Too bad.
    Your body your choice
  • mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

I'm with you.
    I have no sympathy for people who are anti-mask/vaxx and then die from their choices 
    I have even less sympathy for the people in public positions, i.e. radio hosts, TV heads, politicians, religious leaders who are public about being anti-mask/vaxx and then die.
    Too bad.
    Your body your choice
    "BUt mY MediCAl frEEdOm!!!!!!!!!!"

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,933
    OnWis97 said:

What's even behind these cures/antidotes? It used to be Hydrochloruqine (or whatever) and now it's Ivermectin. Is it some weird GOP or Q conspiracy to make it look like Science/Doctors/Dems/Libs are all trying to keep the pandemic going by hiding cures? Or is that just the power of internet rumor mills? Maybe I could share with my 75 Twitter followers that a drink of one party Coke, two-parts OJ, and 4 parts goat urine will cure Covid and a couple months from now, everyone with goats is getting rich selling urine?
    Follow the money.

For what it's worth: thirty-odd years ago, I found myself in the former Soviet Union, a land where the infrastructure was in far worse shape than ours (think potholes big enough to swallow a Yugo). Doctor never were held in high regard in the USSR -- word was (I never looked into this -- it was widely accepted as true, but I can't vouch for it) that bus drivers were paid better than doctors, so medicine was not attracting the best and brightest. At any rate, in the aftermath of the fall of the Soviet Union, people's distrust of doctors made them turn from medicine to folk remedies -- grasses, herbs, homeopathic medicine, large quantities of alcohol, astrology, etc. Granted, the state of medicine/ health care was atrocious, but I saw a blanket rejection of medications in favor of herbal remedies.

Ever since then, I've taken a rise in folk remedies and conspiracies and a rejection of "science" to indicate a fraying of the social fabric.

But that's just my take on things,
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,039
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

I'm with you.
    Too bad.
    Your body your choice

I'm not going to revel in their deaths, but I sure as shit won't get upset when other people do. We're talking about people going to great lengths and efforts to prolong this pandemic.

Their passing is a net gain for the rest of us. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

I'm with you.
    Too bad.
    Your body your choice

I'm not going to revel in their deaths, but I sure as shit won't get upset when other people do. We're talking about people going to great lengths and efforts to prolong this pandemic.

Their passing is a net gain for the rest of us. 
    oh don't get me wrong. i am not reveling in it. i just feel nothing.

i have gone on and on on the boards about how this pandemic has decimated my business this year and the anti vaxxers and anti maskers are prolonging it. 

i am tired. i am angry. and i am frustrated. but i am not feeling any sympathy for people encouraging this pandemic to continue.

This discussion has been closed.