Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    ok, I guess if someone is a dick that means every word out of their mouths is a lie. interesting take. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    ok, I guess if someone is a dick that means every word out of their mouths is a lie. interesting take. 
    No,  just him in this case.  It's too convenient. The money is immaterial but it's embarrassing for him to be invested in a covid treatment when he's been so vocally dismissive of the pandemic and any mitigation efforts .. all of them. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    mrussel1 said:
    No,  just him in this case.  It's too convenient. The money is immaterial but it's embarrassing for him to be invested in a covid treatment when he's been so vocally dismissive of the pandemic and any mitigation efforts .. all of them. 

He doesnt have credibility imo.

trying to recall when those stock dumps became known by those three other senators....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

Typical 'vaccine hesitant' person is a 42-year-old Ontario woman who votes Liberal: Abacus polling

https://www.macleans.ca/society/typical-vaccine-hesitant-person-is-a-42-year-old-ontario-woman-who-votes-liberal-abacus-polling/

The hesitant are not conspiracy theorists. They aren’t angry at the world. They don’t think COVID-19 is a hoax. They aren’t radicals of the left or the right — 61 percent of them say they are on the centre of the spectrum. Two thirds have post-secondary education. They might be timid, but they’re not stupid.

Almost half of them (46 percent) live in Ontario and well over half of them (59 percent) are women. A quarter were born outside Canada. Their average age is 42 and the plurality are between 30 and 44 years old. If they were voting in a federal election today, 35 percent would vote Liberal, 25 percent Conservative, 17 percent NDP, 9 percent Green — pretty similar to overall voting intentions for the entire population.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    I would argue it's less of him being a dick, and more his track record of being disingenuous that leads people to not afford him the benefit of the doubt. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    GlowGirl said:

So, seriously, I think that a lot of people, having seen this or "The Stand" or whatever, and having slept through or failed biology class, think that movies = real life. I saw a quote a week or two ago from a woman who refused to get vaccinated, insisted COVID is a hoax because <<do you see people lying dead on the sidewalk or in their front yards? No, you don't! So you can't tell me the pandemic is real! >> Etc etc.

That comment pulled up a scene from "The Stand" (90's version, I'm old) for me -- where employees at the lab where the plague escaped basically died where they stood, because the disease was somehow that aggressive. So since dead bodies aren't jamming the Lincoln Tunnel and the devil isn't holding court in Las Vegas (as far as we know), COVID can't possibly be real.

Or something.

It's called science FICTION for a reason.
    I wish that person could have visited the cemetery's here in NY during the height of it.  I had never seen so many open holes in all of my times going to them.  The backhoes and the workers kept moving to another spot digging or moving caskets.

That made everything hit home.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    Governor here in MN issued an EO requiring all state employees that enter state buildings, or interact with public, to submit proof of vax by Sept 8, or submit to weekly testing. 

As a state employee, I’m fully behind it. I’m sure a few rubes will quit to own the libs, or whatever hill they’re willing to die on nowadays…  
    Yep, our HR director shared the memo with me 30 minutes before the press conference. Only one of my staff is not vaccinated so it will be a simple one time verification and then done. I'm interested to see how this plays out with all the unvaxxed state employees. Lawsuits should be forming as I type this. This is where the "we're testing too much" crowd will circle the wagons and say this violates some sort of freedom. 
    They can try a lawsuit all they want, courts will shoot them down due to precedent, and that the un-Vaxed have a choice. There’s only one person on my unit who isn’t vaxed. It wouldn’t surprise me if she quit over this.

I’m more interested in the union’s response in supporting this. There are numerous unions around the country that are not supporting vax mandates. Myself and a couple of co-workers let our union reps know that if they don’t support it, we may have to reconsider our voluntary commitment to paying unions dues.

San Diego County has been doing a great job of sharing information and TONS of data throughout the pandemic. So I was looking at a fifteen-page report the county just released, which includes, among other things, data on settings where people were potentially exposed to COVID. In the last two weeks, as in the last fourteen months, 31.6% of people report potential workplace exposure. That's more than double the percentage of people reporting potential exposure in bars/restaurants. So workplace mandates seems like a pretty good idea to me!

I think you have to be careful with that data.  It's self reported,  so that makes me skeptical right there.  Plus,  how would you really know if you were exposed in a bar or restaurant? You have no information after you live,  whereas it's the opposite for a work place 

Looking at the data, since the numbers add up to more than 100% it's clear that it is self-reported. About half of respondents apparently couldn't even think of a place where they could have been exposed. I haven't spoken with a contact tracer, but my guess is that you are asked to recall your activities over the last period of time: did you go to work? Did you go shopping? etc.

But the county also publishes regular (used to be daily, now weekly) reports of cases, hospitalizations, deaths, etc. and includes the number of new outbreaks (four or more cases tied to a location) and  the setting in which the outbreak(s) occurred. Workplace outbreaks figure prominently.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    Governor here in MN issued an EO requiring all state employees that enter state buildings, or interact with public, to submit proof of vax by Sept 8, or submit to weekly testing. 

As a state employee, I’m fully behind it. I’m sure a few rubes will quit to own the libs, or whatever hill they’re willing to die on nowadays…  
    Yep, our HR director shared the memo with me 30 minutes before the press conference. Only one of my staff is not vaccinated so it will be a simple one time verification and then done. I'm interested to see how this plays out with all the unvaxxed state employees. Lawsuits should be forming as I type this. This is where the "we're testing too much" crowd will circle the wagons and say this violates some sort of freedom. 
    They can try a lawsuit all they want, courts will shoot them down due to precedent, and that the un-Vaxed have a choice. There’s only one person on my unit who isn’t vaxed. It wouldn’t surprise me if she quit over this.

I’m more interested in the union’s response in supporting this. There are numerous unions around the country that are not supporting vax mandates. Myself and a couple of co-workers let our union reps know that if they don’t support it, we may have to reconsider our voluntary commitment to paying unions dues.

San Diego County has been doing a great job of sharing information and TONS of data throughout the pandemic. So I was looking at a fifteen-page report the county just released, which includes, among other things, data on settings where people were potentially exposed to COVID. In the last two weeks, as in the last fourteen months, 31.6% of people report potential workplace exposure. That's more than double the percentage of people reporting potential exposure in bars/restaurants. So workplace mandates seems like a pretty good idea to me!

I think you have to be careful with that data.  It's self reported,  so that makes me skeptical right there.  Plus,  how would you really know if you were exposed in a bar or restaurant? You have no information after you live,  whereas it's the opposite for a work place 

Looking at the data, since the numbers add up to more than 100% it's clear that it is self-reported. About half of respondents apparently couldn't even think of a place where they could have been exposed. I haven't spoken with a contact tracer, but my guess is that you are asked to recall your activities over the last period of time: did you go to work? Did you go shopping? etc.

But the county also publishes regular (used to be daily, now weekly) reports of cases, hospitalizations, deaths, etc. and includes the number of new outbreaks (four or more cases tied to a location) and  the setting in which the outbreak(s) occurred. Workplace outbreaks figure prominently.
    That doesn't surprise me, especially for environments that are near capacity.  We opened ours up and had about 15% capacity.  But because one office is in FL, we closed them all back down two weeks ago when the surge started.  Interestingly we did have one person with it, who was double vaxed.  She got it from her adult son who is not.  She kicked it in 3 days and he took over ten.  No coincidence there. Fortunately no one else in the office got it...yet.
    This is worrisome.  I'm on Pfizer.  Punchline, this study (non peer reviewed) shows that in July, Pfizer's effectiveness at stopping transmission dropped to the 40's.  Moderna was much stronger.  Virologist's caution not to read too much into yet because it's limited and not reviewed, but it's still something to consider when making decisions about concerts and such.  I'm in the pit at DMB in about two weeks.  

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-moderna-delta-biden-e9be4bb0-3d10-4f56-8054-5410be357070.html
  • The patriarch of a family very close to my wife's family her whole life croaked yesterday from COVID.  His wife was also in the hospital.  4 of the kids, that we know of, also had COVID.
    Any guesses as to where they stood on the question of Vaccine or Not?

I feel badly for the family, and for my wife since this guy was like an uncle to her.
    They should have taken the shots or stayed home and been safe if they had medical reasons not to take it.  (They didn't - whole family was anti-shot.  "We will live our lives."  Well....some of you will.  Not your Dad.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mrussel1 said:
    He's been dismissive of the restrictions, not treatments. he got the vaccine. and he tells people to get it if they want it. 

look, I've been thinking about the republican end of this. while i find it abhorrent that R governors are opening things up when it's the absolute worst time to do so, I do understand their line of thinking: "the vaccine is available country-wide, people have had the opportunity to get the shot or not, and we can't wait anymore". Let me be crystal clear: I find this stance unconscionable, but it's consistent with R ideology: individual freedom or death. 

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    He's been dismissive of the restrictions, not treatments. he got the vaccine. and he tells people to get it if they want it. 

look, I've been thinking about the republican end of this. while i find it abhorrent that R governors are opening things up when it's the absolute worst time to do so, I do understand their line of thinking: "the vaccine is available country-wide, people have had the opportunity to get the shot or not, and we can't wait anymore". Let me be crystal clear: I find this stance unconscionable, but it's consistent with R ideology: individual freedom or death. 
    Why do you think Rand got the vaccine?  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/rand-paul-says-he-won-t-get-covid-vaccine-n1268268
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Why do you think Rand got the vaccine?  https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/rand-paul-says-he-won-t-get-covid-vaccine-n1268268
    It's fun to read that article with the hindsight of knowing the pandemic is benefitting him financially. 
  • mrussel1 said:

a lot of them are choosing individual freedom AND death.

i just saw more floridians have died from covid than was desantis's margin of victory in the election. he is literally letting his own supporters die. but he does not care about florida. only running for president in 2024.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I watched his "choose freedom" video and I misunderstood something he said about the vaccine. 

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's fun to read that article with the hindsight of knowing the pandemic is benefitting him financially. 
    not that it matters, but did it though? I thought I read that his wife actually lost money on that investment, which actually gives me joy. 

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I watched his "choose freedom" video and I misunderstood something he said about the vaccine. 
    Here's the thing.  I've watched Rand closely over the years, as I found him interesting when he was first elected as a senator.  He seemed principled and was willing to buck traditional views on both sides of the aisle.  But over the past decade, he's devolved into someone even worse than a known partisan.  I've found him disingenuous, deceitful and just as prone to ridiculous, hyperbolic statements as anyone.  He is no Justin Amash who appears to be a truly principled libertarian.  So he gets no benefit of the doubt from me.  His continued badgering of Fauci  both in hearings and now in a criminal referral is repulsive.  He's worse than any other senator on the Hill in that respect, 
    I'm off to get my shot!

C'ya in a bit!
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    I'm off to get my shot!

C'ya in a bit!
    Good deal!
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

not that it matters, but did it though? I thought I read that his wife actually lost money on that investment, which actually gives me joy. 

If not, then my bad. I assumed he did. 

With that being said, did the word about the money lost come direct from him, or another source? 

The man has proven to be disingenuous, which is why I can't understand extending the benefit of the doubt based on his word alone. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If not, then my bad. I assumed he did. 

With that being said, did the word about the money lost come direct from him, or another source? 

The man has proven to be disingenuous, which is why I can't understand extending the benefit of the doubt based on his word alone. 
    that I don't know. it was reported in the original CNN article I read. 

www.headstonesband.com

Hmmmmmm?!? Which one is it? I should put this in the show me something funny thread too. 
  • My Fall Plans

The Delta Variant

"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Hey everyone:

If you haven't been following Ed Yong's writing on the pandemic, you should. He won a Pulitzer for good reason -- thoroughly researched, clearly and thoughtfully-written reporting. He has a new piece up today on The Atlantic that offers, IMO, great coverage of where we are, where we're going, and how delta changed everything. It should NOT be paywalled.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    I'm off to get my shot!

C'ya in a bit!

Awesome, well done!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Here's the thing.  I've watched Rand closely over the years, as I found him interesting when he was first elected as a senator.  He seemed principled and was willing to buck traditional views on both sides of the aisle.  But over the past decade, he's devolved into someone even worse than a known partisan.  I've found him disingenuous, deceitful and just as prone to ridiculous, hyperbolic statements as anyone.  He is no Justin Amash who appears to be a truly principled libertarian.  So he gets no benefit of the doubt from me.  His continued badgering of Fauci  both in hearings and now in a criminal referral is repulsive.  He's worse than any other senator on the Hill in that respect, 

There's seems to be something that happened when he, Lindsey Graham, and others went golfing with TFG. It can't be that the golf was soooo awesome (we all know TFG cheats at golf). My assumption has been blackmail of some sort, but I suppose that belongs in another thread.

I have no love for Rand Paul at this point, either. However, given that his wife lost money on the deal and knowing full well that things like this *can* happen, I'm not inclined to get agitated about this story. I WOULD like people to remember how certain senators were briefed on the coronavirus early last year and then sprinted to call their brokers and money managers before doing a damn thing on the public health front. That's worth remembering. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    This is worrisome.  I'm on Pfizer.  Punchline, this study (non peer reviewed) shows that in July, Pfizer's effectiveness at stopping transmission dropped to the 40's.  Moderna was much stronger.  Virologist's caution not to read too much into yet because it's limited and not reviewed, but it's still something to consider when making decisions about concerts and such.  I'm in the pit at DMB in about two weeks.  

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vaccines-pfizer-moderna-delta-biden-e9be4bb0-3d10-4f56-8054-5410be357070.html
    I saw this...

The July 28, 2021, pre-print report of the study, which has not been peer-reviewed, suggests a gradual "declining trend in vaccine efficacy" over 6 months after two doses of the Pfizer vaccine in more than 45,000 people worldwide.

The study finds overall effectiveness falls from 96% to 84%.

EDIT: I should note that yes what you posted is concerning....booster on the way I guess.

Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    Hey everyone:

If you haven't been following Ed Yong's writing on the pandemic, you should. He won a Pulitzer for good reason -- thoroughly researched, clearly and thoughtfully-written reporting. He has a new piece up today on The Atlantic that offers, IMO, great coverage of where we are, where we're going, and how delta changed everything. It should NOT be paywalled.

Ed Yong is hands down one of the best, if not the best, journalists out there today. I specifically subscribed to the Atlantic for his writing.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745

Hmmmmmm?!? Which one is it? I should put this in the show me something funny thread too. 

hmm, is there a third option?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

There's seems to be something that happened when he, Lindsey Graham, and others went golfing with TFG. It can't be that the golf was soooo awesome (we all know TFG cheats at golf). My assumption has been blackmail of some sort, but I suppose that belongs in another thread.

I have no love for Rand Paul at this point, either. However, given that his wife lost money on the deal and knowing full well that things like this *can* happen, I'm not inclined to get agitated about this story. I WOULD like people to remember how certain senators were briefed on the coronavirus early last year and then sprinted to call their brokers and money managers before doing a damn thing on the public health front. That's worth remembering. 
    1000% - Paul is no scummier than them. That doesn't mean they aren't scumbags and congressional insider trading shouldn't be brought to light. (Not that anything will be done about it, but I digress)

& yeah, I'm no more agitated about Paul than I was about both the Republican and Democrats of whom you're referring. This shit happens all the time, unfortunately. 
This discussion has been closed.