• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    it's also a question of access, much like voting. marginalized communities have a MUCH harder time accessing social services, not to mention many of them just don't have the time, with lower income earners often working more than one job to support
    True, but all of these variables factor into the pandemic as a whole. The common rhetoric is ignoring this and pinpointing the blame on an insignificant portion of the human population. I just don’t see it as helpful to anyone’s psyche. Especially those who can’t fight the urge to piss into the wind and ultimately let the actions of others control them.
    It's not insignificant in this country, where we live.  I'm not concerned about Uzbekistan's vax rate or hesitancy at the moment.  Talking about our population against the world isn't really relevant.  
    I guess I am just not on team "America First". My world view is not limited to the borders in which I am confined. Covid isn't either, as evidenced by Delta.

Eye roll. We control our region.  If everyone controls their region,  it will cease to become a pandemic and move to a regional epidemic.  None of us have any influence on Uzbekistany leaders or media.  We have influence here.  So to act like Uzbek and Khazak mean the same to us here as Florida and Texas,  well that's just silly. 
    Phew, I guess the current dominant strain and breakthrough cases stemming from another regions fight is nothing to fret. Let’s just hope the next one doesn’t lessen our current vaccine efficacy even more. Silly, I know. So back to my initial point. Do you think the message that was posted is beneficial in “controlling” our region? I mean, I guess if beating someone into submission is your thing then by all means continue. I just find it counterproductive.
    I honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make here. What message?
    My point being, we have proof that other regions contribute directly to our situation with absolutely no influence from the US. Our region is not responsible for the Delta variant but it is now the dominant strain. Knowing this, I choose not to focus solely on what we are doing because it is not that simple. The fuck you "message" was a social media grab from CM that I originally commented on. The rant blaming the current state of the pandemic solely on unvaccinated americans, as if the US is the only dog in the fight against covid.
    Sure the variant developed somewhere else.  But we are most directly affected by what happens closely to us.  We know that the vaccines efficacy was about 90% in preventing illness against the original.  While studies are still being done on the delta, let's assume it's 25 points less effective.  So if everyone was immunized,  then the rate of transmission continues to drop with each person until it has no hosts.  And then that region,  call it Florida,  ceases to be a hot spot.  And it continues.  I guess you can think of the old recycling adage... think globally, act locally. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    Governor here in MN issued an EO requiring all state employees that enter state buildings, or interact with public, to submit proof of vax by Sept 8, or submit to weekly testing. 

As a state employee, I’m fully behind it. I’m sure a few rubes will quit to own the libs, or whatever hill they’re willing to die on nowadays…  
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    edited August 2021
    Governor here in MN issued an EO requiring all state employees that enter state buildings, or interact with public, to submit proof of vax by Sept 8, or submit to weekly testing. 

As a state employee, I’m fully behind it. I’m sure a few rubes will quit to own the libs, or whatever hill they’re willing to die on nowadays…  
    That's a bonus.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561

Yep, our HR director shared the memo with me 30 minutes before the press conference. Only one of my staff is not vaccinated so it will be a simple one time verification and then done. I'm interested to see how this plays out with all the unvaxxed state employees. Lawsuits should be forming as I type this. This is where the "we're testing too much" crowd will circle the wagons and say this violates some sort of freedom. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    it's also a question of access, much like voting. marginalized communities have a MUCH harder time accessing social services, not to mention many of them just don't have the time, with lower income earners often working more than one job to support
    True, but all of these variables factor into the pandemic as a whole. The common rhetoric is ignoring this and pinpointing the blame on an insignificant portion of the human population. I just don’t see it as helpful to anyone’s psyche. Especially those who can’t fight the urge to piss into the wind and ultimately let the actions of others control them.
    It's not insignificant in this country, where we live.  I'm not concerned about Uzbekistan's vax rate or hesitancy at the moment.  Talking about our population against the world isn't really relevant.  
    I guess I am just not on team "America First". My world view is not limited to the borders in which I am confined. Covid isn't either, as evidenced by Delta.

Eye roll. We control our region.  If everyone controls their region,  it will cease to become a pandemic and move to a regional epidemic.  None of us have any influence on Uzbekistany leaders or media.  We have influence here.  So to act like Uzbek and Khazak mean the same to us here as Florida and Texas,  well that's just silly. 
    Phew, I guess the current dominant strain and breakthrough cases stemming from another regions fight is nothing to fret. Let’s just hope the next one doesn’t lessen our current vaccine efficacy even more. Silly, I know. So back to my initial point. Do you think the message that was posted is beneficial in “controlling” our region? I mean, I guess if beating someone into submission is your thing then by all means continue. I just find it counterproductive.
    My point being, we have proof that other regions contribute directly to our situation with absolutely no influence from the US. Our region is not responsible for the Delta variant but it is now the dominant strain. Knowing this, I choose not to focus solely on what we are doing because it is not that simple. The fuck you "message" was a social media grab from CM that I originally commented on. The rant blaming the current state of the pandemic solely on unvaccinated americans, as if the US is the only dog in the fight against covid.
    Sure the variant developed somewhere else.  But we are most directly affected by what happens closely to us.  We know that the vaccines efficacy was about 90% in preventing illness against the original.  While studies are still being done on the delta, let's assume it's 25 points less effective.  So if everyone was immunized,  then the rate of transmission continues to drop with each person until it has no hosts.  And then that region,  call it Florida,  ceases to be a hot spot.  And it continues.  I guess you can think of the old recycling adage... think globally, act locally. 
    Yes. Which makes all pieces just as important to the whole. With global vaccination rates already behind our efforts, for the most part, it is likely just a matter of time until a variant with even more evasiveness to our vaccines arises. No level of shaming or blaming will change this. I think we have a mutual agreement, it just comes down to the separation of our ability to implement out of sight out of mind. As much as I am not a fan of the divide in this country, I realize how much more fortunate I am than the overwhelming majority of our global brothers and sisters, and that is hard for me to forget.
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    call me a sheep all you want. 
    call yourself some type of wolf all you want. 
    fact is, the sheep own this yard. 
    foxes aren't welcome. 

join us sheep or fuck off. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    People here are refusing  due to fears of what the vaccine  will do to you. 
    Its not political or religious here at all from what ive seen. 
    But there's a correlation here.  It's no coincidence that the hesitancy is rooted in the Republican party and that's also the party that is more religious and less educated.  It doesn't mean that ONLY Republicans, but there is a correlation.  

By demographic (though the data is incomplete), the least vaccinated group in America are black people. So you're right that it's not ONLY Republicans, but it might not be MAINLY Republicans either, going off the assumption that there's more black Democrats than there are black Republicans. 

"Black Americans are the least vaccinated demographic group, according to the Centers for Disease Control, which estimates that 25% of the Black population in the US is fully vaccinated. Of the US population that is fully vaccinated, only 9% are Black. However, this data is incomplete -- the CDC reports that race and ethnicity data is available for 68% of people who are fully vaccinated."

"The difference between life and death" Community leaders boost efforts to reach unvaccinated Black Americans amid Delta spike - CNN
    Blacks make up only 14% of the population.  So while it is true that by demographic they are the least, there are more white Americans unvaxxed than black ones.  And the hesitancy is rooted in the GOP, not the D's.  https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/11/majorities-support-vaccine-mask-mandates-republicans-503506

I understand that there are way less black people in the country so of course there's more unvaccinated white people. But I also don't think that the 75% of black people that are unvaccinated are unvaccinated because they're being influenced by the GOP or Fox News pushing hesitancy. So why aren't they getting vaccinated? They're (for the most part) not of the party that is "more religious and less educated." The majority of registered black voters are democrats, and the democrats have been pushing the vaccine. So why aren't they getting it?

My overall point is that it's not just white Trump-lovers that are refusing the vaccine. Yet it seems as if they're the only ones getting ridiculed and criticized for not believing in science. 
    For fucks sake because the US government conducted medical experiments on black military personnel and covered it up. Just a short 60-70 years ago. That 400 years of oppression went deep, long and continues on so many levels.
    Yep
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:

Yes. Which makes all pieces just as important to the whole. With global vaccination rates already behind our efforts, for the most part, it is likely just a matter of time until a variant with even more evasiveness to our vaccines arises. No level of shaming or blaming will change this. I think we have a mutual agreement, it just comes down to the separation of our ability to implement out of sight out of mind. As much as I am not a fan of the divide in this country, I realize how much more fortunate I am than the overwhelming majority of our global brothers and sisters, and that is hard for me to forget.
    reasoning with these idiots hasn't worked. most of the "shaming" is just responsible people venting. we know it won't change minds. we also know it won't do any harm. if they haven't gotten the shot now, they won't. 

if people think that a big chunk are TRUTHFULLY going to trust the FDA when it gets approved, I gotta bridge to sell you. (these people not trusting the CDN but trusting the FDA is one of the most asinine positions I've heard yet, as an aside). 

i'm done "understanding" or "being respectful" of their point of view. fuck them. they are being selfish and we're not. that's the bottom line. 

so fuck them. 

www.headstonesband.com

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    call me a sheep all you want. 
    call yourself some type of wolf all you want. 
    fact is, the sheep own this yard. 
    foxes aren't welcome. 

join us sheep or fuck off. 
    🙄
    right back atcha, sweetheart. 

www.headstonesband.com

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:

reasoning with these idiots hasn't worked. most of the "shaming" is just responsible people venting. we know it won't change minds. we also know it won't do any harm. if they haven't gotten the shot now, they won't. 

if people think that a big chunk are TRUTHFULLY going to trust the FDA when it gets approved, I gotta bridge to sell you. (these people not trusting the CDN but trusting the FDA is one of the most asinine positions I've heard yet, as an aside). 

i'm done "understanding" or "being respectful" of their point of view. fuck them. they are being selfish and we're not. that's the bottom line. 

so fuck them. 
    That’s just not my style. I have a much easier time accepting that I have zero control over the actions of others. Or I just don’t feel compelled to be as vocal. My wife on the other hand…maybe it’s the balance we need.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    tbergs said:

Yep, our HR director shared the memo with me 30 minutes before the press conference. Only one of my staff is not vaccinated so it will be a simple one time verification and then done. I'm interested to see how this plays out with all the unvaxxed state employees. Lawsuits should be forming as I type this. This is where the "we're testing too much" crowd will circle the wagons and say this violates some sort of freedom. 
    They can try a lawsuit all they want, courts will shoot them down due to precedent, and that the un-Vaxed have a choice. There’s only one person on my unit who isn’t vaxed. It wouldn’t surprise me if she quit over this.

I’m more interested in the union’s response in supporting this. There are numerous unions around the country that are not supporting vax mandates. Myself and a couple of co-workers let our union reps know that if they don’t support it, we may have to reconsider our voluntary commitment to paying unions dues.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    GlowGirl said:

So, seriously, I think that a lot of people, having seen this or "The Stand" or whatever, and having slept through or failed biology class, think that movies = real life. I saw a quote a week or two ago from a woman who refused to get vaccinated, insisted COVID is a hoax because <<do you see people lying dead on the sidewalk or in their front yards? No, you don't! So you can't tell me the pandemic is real! >> Etc etc.

That comment pulled up a scene from "The Stand" (90's version, I'm old) for me -- where employees at the lab where the plague escaped basically died where they stood, because the disease was somehow that aggressive. So since dead bodies aren't jamming the Lincoln Tunnel and the devil isn't holding court in Las Vegas (as far as we know), COVID can't possibly be real.

Or something.

It's called science FICTION for a reason.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    tbergs said:

They can try a lawsuit all they want, courts will shoot them down due to precedent, and that the un-Vaxed have a choice. There’s only one person on my unit who isn’t vaxed. It wouldn’t surprise me if she quit over this.

I’m more interested in the union’s response in supporting this. There are numerous unions around the country that are not supporting vax mandates. Myself and a couple of co-workers let our union reps know that if they don’t support it, we may have to reconsider our voluntary commitment to paying unions dues.

San Diego County has been doing a great job of sharing information and TONS of data throughout the pandemic. So I was looking at a fifteen-page report the county just released, which includes, among other things, data on settings where people were potentially exposed to COVID. In the last two weeks, as in the last fourteen months, 31.6% of people report potential workplace exposure. That's more than double the percentage of people reporting potential exposure in bars/restaurants. So workplace mandates seems like a pretty good idea to me!

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    tbergs said:

San Diego County has been doing a great job of sharing information and TONS of data throughout the pandemic. So I was looking at a fifteen-page report the county just released, which includes, among other things, data on settings where people were potentially exposed to COVID. In the last two weeks, as in the last fourteen months, 31.6% of people report potential workplace exposure. That's more than double the percentage of people reporting potential exposure in bars/restaurants. So workplace mandates seems like a pretty good idea to me!

I think you have to be careful with that data.  It's self reported,  so that makes me skeptical right there.  Plus,  how would you really know if you were exposed in a bar or restaurant? You have no information after you live,  whereas it's the opposite for a work place 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
      By Lateshia Beachum, Lindsey Bever and Marisa Iati

Choosing the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was about convenience for Amy Riley. She was knee-deep in planning a virtual event for her communications job when she became eligible for vaccination and couldn’t chance losing two days to potential side effects from a two-dose mRNA vaccine. Plus, she wanted to be fully immunized before her niece’s graduation.
    Riley, 41, said she knew Johnson & Johnson’s shot had lower efficacy numbers than the other approved vaccines, but she remembers health officials assuring the public that the one-dose vaccine was just as good.
    Now, frustrated by how little information seems to be available about her vaccine brand’s effectiveness against the delta variant, she’s not sure she believes health officials.
    “I would still get it over not getting vaccinated, if that was the choice,” Riley, a resident of Riverside County, Calif., said in an interview with The Washington Post. “I just feel like, well, did I make the wrong decision?”
    Riley is among the more than 13 million Americans who have received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, some of whom now question how well it will protect them against the delta variant of the coronavirus. She and others who fret about their one dose have reasonable concerns, given earlier data and a rocky rollout.

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038

Mississippi’s Hospital System Could ‘Fail’ In 10 Days, UMMC Warns As Feds Rush In

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    So whats the feelings about this….military assistance, asking for medical volunteers.  Every night they show people dying, begging people to get vaccinated…..I’m brain dead right now so just wondering how people feel. 
    So whats the feelings about this….military assistance, asking for medical volunteers.  Every night they show people dying, begging people to get vaccinated…..I’m brain dead right now so just wondering how people feel. 
    Frustrated, exasperated 
  • well, well, well.

mr rand fucking paul's wife bought stock in feb 2020 in a company that makes covid antiviral treatment. he failed to disclose it for 16 months.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/rand-paul-discloses-16-months-late-that-his-wife-bought-stock-in-company-behind-covid-treatment/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=RSS_nation-world
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    well, well, well.

mr rand fucking paul's wife bought stock in feb 2020 in a company that makes covid antiviral treatment. he failed to disclose it for 16 months.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/rand-paul-discloses-16-months-late-that-his-wife-bought-stock-in-company-behind-covid-treatment/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=RSS_nation-world
    as much as I can't stand that man, I have no problem with this because of this:

Kelsey Cooper, a spokeswoman for Paul, said the senator completed a reporting form for his wife’s investment last year, but learned only recently, while preparing an annual disclosure, that the form had not been transmitted. He sought guidance from the Senate Ethics Committee, she said, and filed the supplemental report along with an annual disclosure Wednesday.

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    well, well, well.

Kelsey Cooper, a spokeswoman for Paul, said the senator completed a reporting form for his wife’s investment last year, but learned only recently, while preparing an annual disclosure, that the form had not been transmitted. He sought guidance from the Senate Ethics Committee, she said, and filed the supplemental report along with an annual disclosure Wednesday.

think the reporting is one thing. the advocating for what amounts to widespread spread of covid through disregarding masking and other mitigation efforts is the more troublesome part for me, given his family can and likely did profit from that .....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    well, well, well.

Coincidence or fear of loose lips in the ranks? I guess we'll just have to take Paul at his word...
    It's a hopeless situation...
    well, well, well.

According to Paul….  
    just because we don't like him doesn't make it any less believable. 

www.headstonesband.com

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Canadian federal government is working on a vaccine passport to facilitate international travel, according to an announcement today. Not sure if there will be any expectation of it being required for access to any services within Canada though. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    He's been disingenuous about the pandemic since the beginning.  Why would should we believe him now? The dick sent a criminal referral to the DOJ for Dr Fauci.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    mrussel1 said:
    He's been disingenuous about the pandemic since the beginning.  Why would should we believe him now? The dick sent a criminal referral to the DOJ for Dr Fauci.
    Exactly. The reasons people do not like the guy are the reasons they should not believe him. 
This discussion has been closed.