Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Ontario is at about 70% fully vaxxed.  It's the government's fault that we will struggle to reach 80% or higher fully ...they keep moving the goal post.  

Ample vaccines available to any eligible person who wants them, outreach and mobile programs, and you still argue that “it’s the government’s fault”? :lol:

Covid changed the goal posts 
    Did I say there was enough vaccines?  Did I blame Pm in my post?  I was pointing the finger at the provincial government…don’t be so clueless…or obtuse.  Ontario has been lockdown longer than just about anywhere in North America…

At 1st it was 70% and all restrictions lifted and now it’s 90%…

The goal post keep moving.  Not every thing is about you or being offended bevpcause you think someone is taking a shot at your racist misogynist groper PM…

SO GO GET A FUCKING LIFE…

Weird response. Of course it isn’t about being offended. It’s about covid mutating, which means the goal posts change. They’ve changed everywhere, not just Ontario. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Why does it always get so hostile on this thread 
     Chill out
    I know right?  We are all in this together after all...  Meaning, all of us, the plebes, are in this together.  "The" party and the elites play by a different set of rules.

I know there was a guy from Sweden around here at one time.  I keep seeing different information regarding Sweden and if you look at their numbers, they are pretty damn good.  Hoping you would not mind sharing what your country did so well that others are struggling with?  I have read things but who knows if they are true.  Thanks in advance!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    Why does it always get so hostile on this thread 
     Chill out
    one look at the username will give you a clue.....
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
     Chill out
    It's just Canadians for you. 
    we are a hostile bunch, that's for sure. :lol:

www.headstonesband.com

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    mrussel1 said:
     Chill out
    It's just Canadians for you. 
    we are a hostile bunch, that's for sure. :lol:
    What are you laughing aboot?

Somebody erase some stuff so nobody gets a TO.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    edited August 2021
     Chill out
    I know right?  We are all in this together after all...  Meaning, all of us, the plebes, are in this together.  "The" party and the elites play by a different set of rules.

I know there was a guy from Sweden around here at one time.  I keep seeing different information regarding Sweden and if you look at their numbers, they are pretty damn good.  Hoping you would not mind sharing what your country did so well that others are struggling with?  I have read things but who knows if they are true.  Thanks in advance!
    The Swedish numbers were terrible compared the surrounding Norse countries.  They only looked good compared to the US and other poorly managed countries.  

Cases per 100k:

Sweden - 10k
    Finland - 1900
    Norway - 2589

Deaths per 100k:

Sweden - 143
    Finland - 18
    Norway - 15

Not a success story.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
     Chill out

Sweden did their own thing...I guess no mask, no lockdowns, schools stayed open...

They didn't cripple their economy.

Oh, the biggest supporters of lockdowns in Canada were Government employees working from home and those who were making more off government assistance than working...

I will exclude teachers...most teachers I worked with wanted in-person learning...

Give Peas A Chance…
     Chill out

Sweden did their own thing...I guess no mask, no lockdowns, schools stayed open...

Oh, the biggest supporters of lockdowns in Canada were Government employees working from home and those who were making more off government assistance than working...

I will exclude teachers...most teachers I worked with wanted in-person learning...

What is the death to GDP ratio that you find acceptable?
     Chill out

I love when people use the economy as an excuse, like it's better that people died rather than losing money. 

www.headstonesband.com

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    edited August 2021
    Uk got everything wrong. Every occasion . Well maybe  lockdown  was late but needed
     And vaccines  were in good time 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,745
    edited August 2021
     Chill out

I love when people use the economy as an excuse, like it's better that people died rather than losing money. 
    I interacted with a lot of folks who were so begrudged by lockdowns etc.  Some via text and some on social media. A cousin of mine who owns a restaurant lost his mind on the internet about the lockdowns...  which was understandable in terms of his bitterness.

Then he took it to the next level and started going on about mortality rates and how it didn't make sense to close down because according to him, only a small number would die.  And I asked a simple question of him: "So you would consider losing your father forever to keep your restaurant open?"   Got a lot of push back, but of course not an answer to that very simple question. 

My best friend was working in San Diego during all of this, and when California basically started opening everything, Ontario was closing everything.  He sent us a message almost bragging about his situation and how pissed we must be at our government. 

I immediately looked at the California death numbers compared to Ontario's per capita and I simply responded:  "Do you measure the success of a pandemic response on how quickly you get to go golfing and drinking? Or do you base it on how many people lost life and how many families were torn apart?"    I'm happy to say it did give him some pause. Ultimately I think if you go down the rabbit hole of society everyone would say the same thing:  Yes, we want freedom, yes we want to go to concerts, yes we want to get back to normal.  But no one, not one person would be willing to sacrifice a loved one to get it. And if I met that person who maybe did suggest they would be willing to sacrifice their father for example, I would then want to ask the father. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    mrussel1 said:
     Chill out

What was swedens compared to other countries.

I actually also meant to ask were they better off, worse off, or the same?

I do not not if they were.

Canada's official death toll is around 26 000, but some say it's double that?

Canada’s COVID-19 death toll may be double the official count: Report (citynews.ca)

There may be no way of knowing what worked best.

Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:
     Chill out

What was swedens compared to other countries.

I actually also meant to ask were they better off, worse off, or the same?

I do not not if they were.

Canada's official death toll is around 26 000, but some say it's double that?

Canada’s COVID-19 death toll may be double the official count: Report (citynews.ca)

There may be no way of knowing what worked best.

Err...I'll repost what I posted above.  You don't think there's a fair way to evaluate what worked best?

The Swedish numbers were terrible compared the surrounding Norse countries.  They only looked good compared to the US and other poorly managed countries.  

Cases per 100k:

Sweden - 10k
    Finland - 1900
    Norway - 2589

Deaths per 100k:

Sweden - 143
    Finland - 18
    Norway - 15

Not a success story.
    @Meltdown99 and Sweden had the largest decrease in GDP... so... lose/lose  https://www.statista.com/statistics/1201536/gdp-rate-forecasts-in-the-nordics/

Parksy said:
     Chill out

I interacted with a lot of folks who were so begrudged by lockdowns etc.  Some via text and some on social media. A cousin of mine who owns a restaurant lost his mind on the internet about the lockdowns...  which was understandable in terms of his bitterness.

Then he took it to the next level and started going on about mortality rates and how it didn't make sense to close down because according to him, only a small number would die.  And I asked a simple question of him: "So you would consider losing your father forever to keep your restaurant open?"   Got a lot of push back, but of course not an answer to that very simple question. 

My best friend was working in San Diego during all of this, and when California basically started opening everything, Ontario was closing everything.  He sent us a message almost bragging about his situation and how pissed we must be at our government. 

I immediately looked at the California death numbers compared to Ontario's per capita and I simply responded:  "Do you measure the success of a pandemic response on how quickly you get to go golfing and drinking? Or do you base it on how many people lost life and how many families were torn apart?"    I'm happy to say it did give him some pause. Ultimately I think if you go down the rabbit hole of society everyone would say the same thing:  Yes, we want freedom, yes we want to go to concerts, yes we want to get back to normal.  But no one, not one person would be willing to sacrifice a loved one to get it. And if I met that person who maybe did suggest they would be willing to sacrifice their father for example, I would then want to ask the father. 
    most of them turn it into a "I'm fine, protect the elderly and the compromised, let the rest of society move on". like locking up the elderly and the compromised indefinitely would be a great solution. 

it really speaks to a bigger societal problem where a LOT of people consider their right to go a movie more important than someone else's right to be alive. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mrussel1 said:
     Chill out

Cases per 100k:

Sweden - 10k
    Finland - 1900
    Norway - 2589

Deaths per 100k:

Sweden - 143
    Finland - 18
    Norway - 15

Not a success story.
    So my question then would be what did the other two countries do?  I also would still like to hear from the guy from Sweden on their response as well as their neighbors.

A quick search of Finland brings up this article from November 19, 2020.   https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-finland-sweden-role-model/a-55664117

Why is Finland coping so well with the coronavirus crisis?

1. Finland reacted swiftly

Back in Spring, as the number of infections skyrocketed around the world, the Finnish government reacted promptly and imposed a two-month long lockdown. Travel to and from Helsinki and the surrounding areas was banned. Schools and other institutions were closed, quickly followed by restaurants.

Now, if you google "Finland Covid" and look at the graph, at the time this probably looked like a good idea.  Look at the spikes after this article was written and the 7 day average is trending toward the highest number since it began over a year ago.  They are showing around 35% fully vaccinated.  The deaths have been virtually non-existent.

When I google "Norway Covid" the graphs are similar.  Around the same vaccination rate and deaths are non existent.

Sweden is actually higher vaccinated (around 40%) with way more cases than the other two, however their deaths have virtually disappeared as well.

Can anyone give me an explanation for this?  One thing that caught my eye is the amount of testing we are doing here compared to those three.  The highest 7 day averages for each of those countries looks like this, with the US in there as well.  

Sweden - 51,085 (May 9, 2021)

Finland - 21,794 (March 19, 2021)

Norway - 29,204 (March 27, 2021)

US - 1,910,000 (November 2020) and the last time the US's 7 day average was lower than Sweden's highest was around March of 2020. 

Is it possible that we are testing too much?!

• ParksyParksy Posts: 1,745
    Parksy said:
     Chill out

most of them turn it into a "I'm fine, protect the elderly and the compromised, let the rest of society move on". like locking up the elderly and the compromised indefinitely would be a great solution. 

it really speaks to a bigger societal problem where a LOT of people consider their right to go a movie more important than someone else's right to be alive. 
    100%.   Beyond the governments failures.. to which there are many in many jurisdictions...  This pandemic showed me a lot of people's true colours.   Within discussions about freedoms and economy etc. there seemed to be this weird inability for a lot of people to consider the human life element of this.  Regarding your comment.. I heard a lot of that too. "only affects the elderly and the high risk."   It's like "OK, so.......  we just stop caring about them?"  "We sacrifice them?" And for what?  Money?  Travel?    So many opinions and comments that seemed completely devoid of humanity and dignity. Complete lack of empathy.  And it always seemed stupid to me as well because no one would actually want to risk themselves or a loved one in the same case.  It's like that D-Bag from the movie Titanic who when he learned half of the people on the ship would die he's like "meh, not the better half."  Apparently there are a lot more of those types than I originally thought. 

I often had to say to people.. even in my family...  "Grandpa fought WWII for freedom, yes.  But it wasn't for your freedom to go get a professional haircut, and if you think it was....  you really really really need to read a history book." 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    mrussel1 said:
     Chill out

Cases per 100k:

Sweden - 10k
    Finland - 1900
    Norway - 2589

Deaths per 100k:

Sweden - 143
    Finland - 18
    Norway - 15

Not a success story.
    So my question then would be what did the other two countries do?  I also would still like to hear from the guy from Sweden on their response as well as their neighbors.

A quick search of Finland brings up this article from November 19, 2020.   https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-finland-sweden-role-model/a-55664117

Why is Finland coping so well with the coronavirus crisis?

1. Finland reacted swiftly

Back in Spring, as the number of infections skyrocketed around the world, the Finnish government reacted promptly and imposed a two-month long lockdown. Travel to and from Helsinki and the surrounding areas was banned. Schools and other institutions were closed, quickly followed by restaurants.

Now, if you google "Finland Covid" and look at the graph, at the time this probably looked like a good idea.  Look at the spikes after this article was written and the 7 day average is trending toward the highest number since it began over a year ago.  They are showing around 35% fully vaccinated.  The deaths have been virtually non-existent.

When I google "Norway Covid" the graphs are similar.  Around the same vaccination rate and deaths are non existent.

Sweden is actually higher vaccinated (around 40%) with way more cases than the other two, however their deaths have virtually disappeared as well.

Can anyone give me an explanation for this?  One thing that caught my eye is the amount of testing we are doing here compared to those three.  The highest 7 day averages for each of those countries looks like this, with the US in there as well.  

Sweden - 51,085 (May 9, 2021)

Finland - 21,794 (March 19, 2021)

Norway - 29,204 (March 27, 2021)

US - 1,910,000 (November 2020) and the last time the US's 7 day average was lower than Sweden's highest was around March of 2020. 

Is it possible that we are testing too much?!

really? the testing too much nonsense again? stop looking at numbers, since they aren't comparable between nations that have wildly different populations sizes. look at test positivity rate. 

www.headstonesband.com

The data has to be normalized for population.  You can't evaluate it in raw numbers.  
    mrussel1 said:
    The data has to be normalized for population.  You can't evaluate it in raw numbers.  
    Yes.  You are right.  

But what got me into this discussion is that we were told 70% fully all restrictions removed, now it's 90%  You don't think this causes vaccine hesitancy?  And people are really doubtful restrictions get lifted then.  our provincial government is convinced that they solely vaccinate our way out of this.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1 said:
    Good point.  
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Let's first define the "we" doing "too much" testing: It's generally people who feel ill, particularly with Covid symptoms.

So, no, we're not testing too much. Probably too little from what I've observed anecdotally in a mostly Covid-conscious state.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    More not great news. 

Preliminary lab results suggest that the lambda variant may be more infectious and at least somewhat resistant to neutralizing antibodies from the vaccines. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/delta-infections-among-vaccinated-likely-contagious-lambda-variant-shows-vaccine-2021-08-02/

If/when we do face a variant that escapes protection offered by the current vaccines, I think there is a high likelihood that the mRNA vaccines can be tweaked to be more specifically targeted, but this means getting back into waiting for vaccine production and roll out. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes.  You are right.  

But what got me into this discussion is that we were told 70% fully all restrictions removed, now it's 90%  You don't think this causes vaccine hesitancy?  And people are really doubtful restrictions get lifted then.  our provincial government is convinced that they solely vaccinate our way out of this.
    I haven't seen those numbers.  70% is the common number used for herd immunity, but haven't heard 90%.  The good news is I bet before Delta is done, we'll have 80+% immune either through the vax or recovery.  
  • dankind said:
    Let's first define the "we" doing "too much" testing: It's generally people who feel ill, particularly with Covid symptoms.

So, no, we're not testing too much. Probably too little from what I've observed anecdotally in a mostly Covid-conscious state.
    I totally disagree with this statement.  All of these mandates are coming out and you have to show proof of vaccination to enter or.... a negative test!  If you get contact traced from school or work, you have to wait 14 days or show.... a negative test!

Why are we doing these things if there are no signs or symptoms?  Since I have been down this road, I know the responses are going to come back to asymptomatic spread, which has since been proven to not be a thing.

Related, and this is something I have not looked into, but someone is getting really, really rich on testing in the US.  Anyone know who?
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes.  You are right.  

Also since that original number is the prevalence of a variant with 1,000 the viral load of the prior ones, and a proven ability to spread from vaccinated to either vaccinated or unvaccinated individuals (albeit at a greatly reduced proportion of the original exposures). When facts change, plans should too.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • dankind said:

That couldn’t be more wrong. Leave the US?, get a test…come back to the US…get a test….someone at work positive…get a test….you were within 6 feet of someone….get a test…..your kids school had a positive result….get them a test….the list goes on and on and on and on and on…..
    dankind said:

I totally disagree with this statement.  All of these mandates are coming out and you have to show proof of vaccination to enter or.... a negative test!  If you get contact traced from school or work, you have to wait 14 days or show.... a negative test!

Why are we doing these things if there are no signs or symptoms?  Since I have been down this road, I know the responses are going to come back to asymptomatic spread, which has since been proven to not be a thing.

Related, and this is something I have not looked into, but someone is getting really, really rich on testing in the US.  Anyone know who?
    Someone got really rich off the statin I take.  Therefore I'm not taking it anymore.  That'll show 'em. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Why are we doing these things if there are no signs or symptoms?  Since I have been down this road, I know the responses are going to come back to asymptomatic spread, *which has since been proven to not be a thing.

Someone got really rich off the statin I take.  Therefore I'm not taking it anymore.  That'll show 'em. 
    I said "generally."

But reactionaries gonna reactionary (*and of course, spread a little misinformation while they're at it).

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

show me your data that suggests asymptomatic spread is not a thing. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00059-4/fulltext

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210110/59-percent-of-covid-cases-stem-from-asymptomatic-spread

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4851

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.