Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,222
    It finally got me. I lost my taste and smell on Christmas evening after experiencing some mild cold/allergy like symptoms. Tested positive yesterday after a negative on Sunday. I had a mild fever last night that broke early this morning, and other than some sinus pressure with a little congestion I’ve felt fine. Taste and smell seem to be returning today as well. I received 2 doses of recently “expired” Pfizer without a booster. Looking forward to some natural immunity, and hopefully a new year with much less severe covid going around for everyone. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,440
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Funny and timely. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,976
    In Alberta...

• Options

Fauci: US should consider vaccine mandate for US air travel
    By ZEKE MILLER
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious disease expert, said the nation should consider a vaccination mandate for domestic air travel, signaling a potential embrace of an idea the Biden administration has previously eschewed, as COVID-19 cases spike.

Fauci, President Joe Biden’s chief science adviser on the pandemic response, said that such a mandate might drive up the nation's lagging vaccination rate as well as confer stronger protection on flights, for which federal regulations require all those age 2 and older to wear a mask.

“When you make vaccination a requirement, that’s another incentive to get more people vaccinated," Fauci told MSNBC on Monday. “If you want to do that with domestic flights, I think that’s something that seriously should be considered.”

The Biden administration has thus far balked at imposing a vaccination requirement for domestic air travel. Two officials said Biden’s science advisers have yet to make a formal recommendation for such a requirement to the president.

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations, said a vaccine mandate on planes could trigger a host of logistical and legal concerns.

The U.S. currently mandates that most foreign nationals traveling to the U.S. be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus, though citizens and permanent residents only need to show proof of a negative test taken within a day of boarding.

US President Joe Biden on Monday pledged the full support of the federal government to states facing surges in COVID-19 cases from the more transmissible omicron variant and a run on at-home tests. (Dec. 27)

Federal rules don’t require people travelling by air within the U.S. to show a negative test. Hawaii requires travelers to test or show proof of vaccination to avoid a mandatory quarantine.

Biden did not respond to questions on whether he was considering implementing a domestic air travel vaccination requirement, but he told reporters the subject was discussed on a call with the nation's governors Monday morning.

“They asked Dr. Fauci some more questions about everything from whether or not he thought he was going to move to test at home — I mean, on air flights and that kind of thing,” Biden said of the call before departing the White House for his home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

During the virtual meeting with governors, Biden pledged the full support of the federal government to states facing surges in COVID-19 cases from the more-transmissible omicron variant and a run on at-home tests that dominated headlines over the holiday season.

“My message is: If you need something, say something, and we’re going to have your back any way we can," Biden said. He acknowledged long lines and chaotic scenes as Americans sought out testing amid the case surge and as they looked to safely gather with family and friends over the holiday.

“Seeing how tough it was for some folks to get a test this weekend shows that we have more work to do,” he said. He referenced his administration’s plan to make 500 million rapid tests available to Americans beginning next month through an as-yet-to-be-developed website.

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson, the National Governors Association chairman, raised concerns Biden's plan could get in the way of state efforts to boost supply of tests.

“That dries up the supply chain for what we might offer as governors,” he said, saying the lack of supply “has become a real challenge.”

Biden assured Hutchinson that the federal effort won’t interfere with state actions. “This gets solved at the state level,” he said.

A White House official said the new tests would come from new manufacturing capacity and wouldn’t interfere with existing supply chains.

Earlier this year the White House explored a domestic vaccination requirement for flights, or one requiring either vaccination or proof of negative test. But officials have not been eager to mandate vaccination for domestic air travel because they expected it to face immediate legal challenges, mitigating its potential effectiveness as a tool to drive up vaccinations.

Pressed last week on why Biden had not mandated vaccinations for domestic air travel, White House press secretary Jen Psaki told MSNBC that “we know that masking can be, is, very effective on airplanes."

“We also know that putting in place that additional restriction might delay flights, might have additional implications,” she added. "We would do it, though, if the health impact was overwhelming. So we rely always on the advice of our health and medical experts. That isn’t a step at this point that they had determined we need to take.”

Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show more than 241 million Americans, about 77% of the eligible population age 5 and over, have received at least one shot of a COVID-19 vaccine. Officials believe, though, that there is some overcount in the figures due to record-keeping errors in the administration of booster shots.

Since the summer, the Biden administration has embraced various vaccination requirements as a way to get unvaccinated Americans to roll up their sleeves. It has instituted requirements that federal workers, federal contractors and those who work in health care get their shots, and that employers with 100 or more employees institute vaccination-or-testing requirements for their workers.

Those vaccination requirements have been mired in legal wrangling, with the Supreme Court set to hear arguments Jan. 7 in cases seeking to overturn them.

___

Associated Press writer Darlene Superville in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, contributed.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Surely there are other qualified people to be spokespersons for NIAID.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,489
    lol a year ago more than 50% of population didn’t even believe that the virus was real today they all want free test kits 🤣🤣
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,403
    static111 said:
    With omicron cases spreading like wildfire, the White House is finally taking steps to make free antigen tests available to all. But this fall, Vanity Fair has learned, it dismissed a bold plan to ramp up rapid testing ahead of the holidays. Frustrated experts explain how confusion, distrust, and a single-minded fixation on vaccinating Americans left testing on the back burner for so long.

"White House press secretary Jen Psaki seemed to deride the very idea of free nationwide home tests. “Should we just send one to every American?” she mused sarcastically from the briefing room podium. “Then what happens if you—if every American has one test? How much does that cost, and then what happens after that?”"

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/12/the-biden-administration-rejected-an-october-proposal-for-free-rapid-tests-for-the-holidays
     Why are all these people wanting tests last week and this week but not three months ago? What’s the reasoning behind a sudden surge in testing demand?

Holiday travel and gatherings clearly is fueling the recent spike in testing.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    Fauci Says Domestic Travel Vaccination Rule Should Be Considered (msn.com)

I'm vaccinated (including booster) and have flown 5 times in the last couple months, but i disagree with this.  You can catch the virus and transmit whether you are vaxed or non-vaxed.   The unvaccinated have been on planes and in restaurants ever since March 2020.  Why start now?  COVID19 is terrible, but time for people to make their own decisions about what they are comfortable doing and move on.  
    Yep.  I'm fully vaxxed and currently dealing with my own case of covid.  It's blatantly obvious that being vaxxed does not help contain the spread so why on earth would they institute a mandate like this??  It will do nothing.  It's like the vax mandate that Chicago and Cook County have going into place in January where you have to be fully vaxxed to go to gyms, restaurants, movies, etc...  NYC and LA have had a similar mandate in place for months and they are both seeing record amounts of cases.  What science are they following here???  It's all just political theater.  
    The chances of you going to the hospital and dying are far lower because you are vaccinated.

That's why we still want people to be vaccinated and why we should be making life less convenient for the unvaccinated.

Fuck the unvaccinated.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    dignin said:

I'm vaccinated (including booster) and have flown 5 times in the last couple months, but i disagree with this.  You can catch the virus and transmit whether you are vaxed or non-vaxed.   The unvaccinated have been on planes and in restaurants ever since March 2020.  Why start now?  COVID19 is terrible, but time for people to make their own decisions about what they are comfortable doing and move on.  
    Yep.  I'm fully vaxxed and currently dealing with my own case of covid.  It's blatantly obvious that being vaxxed does not help contain the spread so why on earth would they institute a mandate like this??  It will do nothing.  It's like the vax mandate that Chicago and Cook County have going into place in January where you have to be fully vaxxed to go to gyms, restaurants, movies, etc...  NYC and LA have had a similar mandate in place for months and they are both seeing record amounts of cases.  What science are they following here???  It's all just political theater.  
    The chances of you going to the hospital and dying are far lower because you are vaccinated.

That's why we still want people to be vaccinated and why we should be making life less convenient for the unvaccinated.

Yup. Your first sentence is the reason why my brother isn't on a ventilator. 
    Post edited by mfc2006 on
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,678
    edited December 2021
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.
    That last comment is unnecessary.  Some have perfectly good reasons.  The J&J vaccine fiasco is enough support for the argument that these vaccines were rushed.  If these vaccines were perfectly safe the. They wouldn’t tell people not to get the J&J vaccine months after telling people to use it.  

My dad has been dealing with AFIB and serious high/low blood pressure issues ever since taking the J&J vaccine.   Too much of a coincidence.   He would love to take back the decision of getting vaxed.  Could he have got the same issues with COVID, sure, but the fact remains most likely that the vaccine hurt him instead.  Is there proof?  No, but too much of a coincidence to not have those symptoms and then a few days after the vaccine having those symptoms long term.

Edit:  I got the Pfizer booster last week.  Decided not to mix and match since I didn’t have any issues with the Pfizer vaccine originally.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,168
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.
    That last comment is unnecessary.  Some have perfectly good reasons.  The J&J vaccine fiasco is enough support for the argument that these vaccines were rushed.  If these vaccines were perfectly safe the. They wouldn’t tell people not to get the J&J vaccine months after telling people to use it.  

My dad has been dealing with AFIB and serious high/low blood pressure issues ever since taking the J&J vaccine.   Too much of a coincidence.   He would love to take back the decision of getting vaxed.  Could he have got the same issues with COVID, sure, but the fact remains most likely that the vaccine hurt him instead.  Is there proof?  No, but too much of a coincidence to not have those symptoms and then a few days after the vaccine having those symptoms long term.

Edit:  I got the Pfizer booster last week.  Decided not to mix and match since I didn’t have any issues with the Pfizer vaccine originally.
    sorry to hear about that. hope your dad does well with meds if he needs them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,792
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.
    Alright then.  Starting next week I won't be able to bring my 5 year old to restaurants or movie theaters because he isn't fully vaxxed yet.  Fuck him though, right?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,489
    Totally ran out of sympathy cards for the cultists unvaccinated fools 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,940
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.

That comment is very annoying to me as well. It either comes from a place of self righteousness or assuming anyone who isn’t vaccinated is a white , racist , anti science conservative. Which just isn’t the truth. 

Anti Vaccine conspiracy theorists? Yea , I’d agree. Fuck them. But the people who looked into the facts and decided it’s not for them, I have no problem with. Vaccinated people who threw caution to the wind because they felt invincible are also responsible for spreading the virus. But who cares? People should worry about themselves and do what’s best for them. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.

That comment is very annoying to me as well. It either comes from a place of self righteousness or assuming anyone who isn’t vaccinated is a white , racist , anti science conservative. Which just isn’t the truth. 

Anti Vaccine conspiracy theorists? Yea , I’d agree. Fuck them. But the people who looked into the facts and decided it’s not for them, I have no problem with. Vaccinated people who threw caution to the wind because they felt invincible are also responsible for spreading the virus. But who cares? People should worry about themselves and do what’s best for them. 
    this is the part I struggle with. I'm not saying we're throwing caution to the wind, but case numbers are at the highest they've been here since the beginning, and both my kids went to separate houses for sleepovers last night. Six families in total between the two houses. My wife authorized this unilaterally. I had a conversation with her this morning that this isn't really responsible at this point. Yeah, it's xmas break. I get it. Yeah, we're all vaxxed. I get it. But omicron spreads so fast, if even one of those kids is infected and doesn't know it, there's grandparents and parents who are high risk involved here. Now I'm getting pressure about NYE. One family and ours, which is fine (I guess), but that family was part of this sleepover madness. And he's the manager of a fucking chain restaurant. She works in the mall. Seriously. Everyone in this situation seems to think covid is over when we've entered the worst part of it. 

And I'm the paranoid weirdo for the being the cautious one. It's frustrating. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,940
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.

this is the part I struggle with. I'm not saying we're throwing caution to the wind, but case numbers are at the highest they've been here since the beginning, and both my kids went to separate houses for sleepovers last night. Six families in total between the two houses. My wife authorized this unilaterally. I had a conversation with her this morning that this isn't really responsible at this point. Yeah, it's xmas break. I get it. Yeah, we're all vaxxed. I get it. But omicron spreads so fast, if even one of those kids is infected and doesn't know it, there's grandparents and parents who are high risk involved here. Now I'm getting pressure about NYE. One family and ours, which is fine (I guess), but that family was part of this sleepover madness. And he's the manager of a fucking chain restaurant. She works in the mall. Seriously. Everyone in this situation seems to think covid is over when we've entered the worst part of it. 

I know man. It’s a tough, tough situation and I feel for you. I just cannot wait to be past this. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,810
    edited December 2021
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.

You are definitely  not paranoid or over  the top at all. We are in a shit storm  here now things  are gonna start collapsing  over the next 2 weeks not from  severity  but from cases
     Everything  will  collapse  because  everyone  will be at home  isolating.  It fuckin pisses me off
     My dad has cancer
     So what happens when is cancer nurse  and oncologist are off for 10 days?  Its a shit storm here. You are definitely  not paranoid 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I am fully vaxxed times 3.  I could give a rats ass what someone’s vaxx status is…

And people who were vaccine hesitant before, will be even more hesitant considering less than 6 months after the second dose boosters are needed…maybe the idiot politicians should quit with the bullshit that we’ll vaccine our way out of this.  Have we vaccines away the flu?

In Ontario it was at first 75% vaccinated and restrictions lifted, then it was 80, then 85 and so on…we are over 80% and the restrictions are coming back…fear sells I guess.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    no one (that I've seen) has been saying we'll vaccine our way out of this. at least not lately. vaccines are the best way to keep our health care system afloat. if you don't understand that at this point......
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Working from home this week because my brother tested positive & we were around him a lot on the 24th & 25th. He was vaccinated, but not boosted & feels like shit. I feel fine, but can't get tested until Thursday morning. 
    My brother & his wife still feel like shit. The rest of us haven't shown any symptoms whatsoever. That being said, we've all been working from home and not leaving the house until we're able to get tested (tomorrow). We cancelled plans with friends tonight and they just didn't get it. They were pissed because we cancelled. I explained that we may be asymptomatic and don't want to risk getting them sick. They didn't care and were assholes about, to be honest. So strange.

People think the pandemic is over because we have vaccines. I just don't understand it at all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Working from home this week because my brother tested positive & we were around him a lot on the 24th & 25th. He was vaccinated, but not boosted & feels like shit. I feel fine, but can't get tested until Thursday morning. 
    My brother & his wife still feel like shit. The rest of us haven't shown any symptoms whatsoever. That being said, we've all been working from home and not leaving the house until we're able to get tested (tomorrow). We cancelled plans with friends tonight and they just didn't get it. They were pissed because we cancelled. I explained that we may be asymptomatic and don't want to risk getting them sick. They didn't care and were assholes about, to be honest. So strange.

People think the pandemic is over because we have vaccines. I just don't understand it at all.
    yeah, I'm going to have about 7 people pissed at me if/when I pull the plug on NYE. my oldest daughter, still at that sleepover, just texted my wife to pick her up to take her to a different friend's house to hang out. WTF
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    World Junior hockey Championship cancelled...they had 4 cases
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,678
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

We keep worrying about the over 65 crowd and rightfully so. I wonder though if you polled the over 65 crowd what percentage would say we accept the risks but want to see our family and friends?   

My parents say come and visit.  They understand the risks but seeing their loved ones is worth the risk to them versus spending what could be years isolated from society.  

You care about your friends and that is what we all should do. But from your friends’ perspective, they made their own informed decision that there is a less than .1% chance they will die from Covid and they are fine with that risk.  You made the right call though as we shouldn’t be reckless if we know that we have been exposed.   

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.

I know man. It’s a tough, tough situation and I feel for you. I just cannot wait to be past this. 
    i've got a newsflash for ya. we are not "getting past this."

63% vaccination rate in the US, which is abysmally low. the unvaccinated are again filling up our hospitals and our icus and are making this thing stick around. i have had it with wilfully unvaccinated adults, and at this point, if they want to fuck around and find out that is on them. 

i am 100% on board with insurance companies raising premiums on wilfully unvaxed adults and things like that. 

but we are not "getting past it".
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:

Fuck the unvaccinated.

i've got a newsflash for ya. we are not "getting past this."

63% vaccination rate in the US, which is abysmally low. the unvaccinated are again filling up our hospitals and our icus and are making this thing stick around. i have had it with wilfully unvaccinated adults, and at this point, if they want to fuck around and find out that is on them. 

i am 100% on board with insurance companies raising premiums on wilfully unvaxed adults and things like that. 

but we are not "getting past it".
    well, we will actually. it may be longer than any pandemic in history, but we will. all pandemics end. that's just a fact. whether it be through mass death, or the virus mutates so it's milder and keeps itself alive (keeping my fingers crossed that this is what omicron is), like today's flu which was formerly known as the spanish flu. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.