2022 North American rumour thread

Comments

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    demetrios said:
    If things go well & more & more folks get fully vaccinated, here's hoping Toronto, Quebec City, Ottawa & Hamilton shows come through next March 2022.
    I believe Canada has hit the numbers we need to open the land border, etc...
    Now it's just a matter of getting the green light(s)!
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    D-Rod said:
    Recapping:

1) Hopefully March/April for the USA dates we already know.

2) Europe in the summer.

3) There was supposed to be a fall 2020 tour through the USA. I remember hearing:
    Pittsburgh
    Columbus OR Cleveland
    Chicago, but not Wrigley Field
    I'm sure another NYC date or two would have happened and possibly Philadelphia. The only reason they couldn't two NYC dates in spring 2020 was due to the the arena being booked. If they do NYC, they can easily do Philly.

Obviously numbers one and two we know. Three was in discussions when it fell apart. Obviously, there's been nothing past discussions. No tickets, no posters, nothing.

Hopefully #3 happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if they take time off and head to the southern hemisphere in November or Feb/March of 2023. (As long as the Cubs stay remotely relevant, don't expect anything for October due to playoffs.)

I wouldn't be surprised if we get the original USA dates plus a few more. The arena in Seattle will have been used by then and if they're re-scheduling one NYC date, they could easily do another plus more dates in that area.

Milwaukee and Madison Wisconsin were also rumored on the 2020 fall leg   

Indeed they were. I had called it "The I-90 Tour."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_90
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    Just came across this, which some may find interesting:

PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Gibson said:
    demetrios said:
    If things go well & more & more folks get fully vaccinated, here's hoping Toronto, Quebec City, Ottawa & Hamilton shows come through next March 2022.
    I believe Canada has hit the numbers we need to open the land border, etc...
    Now it's just a matter of getting the green light(s)!

It depends, we have a pretty high # for first doses, but I think we're only 25% in on 2nd doses.  That being said they're coming fast and furious, I would suspect by the end of July we'll be in a pretty good spot.
  • ChoskaChoska Posts: 119
    Washington State opened fully today. I doubt that means they will play a show in Washington, unless they did the truly unexpected and limited attendance for an outdoor show to people who live in Washington. 
    Seattle 1992Seattle 1992Seattle 1993Seattle 1995Seattle 1996Seattle 1998Seattle 2001Seattle 2002Seattle 2005Gorge 2006Seattle 2009Seattle 2013Chicago 2016 x2Seattle 2018 x2San Diego 2022Nashville 2022, Seattle 2022 - Eddie Vedder

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Think the band still holds a TX grudge from the Bush days? Agree there is no reason not to visit.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    Think the band still holds a TX grudge from the Bush days? Agree there is no reason not to visit.
    Towards the end of the '03 Dallas show Ed mentioned something about it being their last show in Texas for awhile. They have only played 3 Austin festival sets and 1 Dallas arena set since. If it is about politics, that's a lame excuse at this point. There are more people who vote blue here than every other state not named California. It's time.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I couldn't tell you why they skip certain cities and states but I would bet politics is not the reason. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Agree. They go where they’ll easily sell tickets and fill arenas. Of course when you ignore areas of the country for so long the people forget about you. I meet people here a lot that have no idea they’re still around. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    JimmyV said:
    I couldn't tell you why they skip certain cities and states but I would bet politics is not the reason. 
    I would hope not.
    ComeToTX said:
    Agree. They go where they’ll easily sell tickets and fill arenas. Of course when you ignore areas of the country for so long the people forget about you. I meet people here a lot that have no idea they’re still around. 
    Filling arenas is not a problem, the ten only crowd and tee shirt teens can do that.
  • DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 514
    Did the TX shows sell out? I mean - they play blue states... they play red states.  Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma - all on the schedule for 2020.  No chance all 17,000-37,000 attendees at shows all voted alike.  Maybe tickets didn’t go as quickly as hoped and they did Lincoln, OKC instead. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
    DM282158 said:
    Did the TX shows sell out? I mean - they play blue states... they play red states.  Tennessee, Missouri, Oklahoma - all on the schedule for 2020.  No chance all 17,000-37,000 attendees at shows all voted alike.  Maybe tickets didn’t go as quickly as hoped and they did Lincoln, OKC instead. 
    OKC has always been an easy ticket to obtain, I remember there still being public tickets available on TM right before the tour got axed. Who knows, I don’t expect another home show anyway so I have to travel. Just weird that fans in Houston and Dallas have to do the same.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    DM282158 said:
    When you play one arena show in a massive state in a dozen years it’s gonna sell out. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    ComeToTX said:
    To be fair, I live in the NYC area and I also meet people who are surprised to find out that Pearl Jam is still a going concern. 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    JimmyV said:

I remember reading an interview from one of the band members (I think it was Ed) that the only reason they played Vegas was because Kelly Curtis liked to go there.
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    JimmyV said:

I remember reading an interview from one of the band members (I think it was Ed) that the only reason they played Vegas was because Kelly Curtis liked to go there.
    I am a resident of Vegas and you can get some strange vibes here. I saw The National once at the Hard Rock (now Virgin) and Matt Berringer was like, "I hate this city. No idea why we are here." I also once saw Arcade Fire play to like 4000 people in an arena on a Sunday night in a terrible scheduling decision.

We are still a few years from Pearl Jam doing a residency at Caesar's or The Park Theatre for 4000 people a night at $300 a ticket.
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    edited June 2021
    If they really want to, the band could EASILY sell out arena shows in Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio (or Austin).  And if they actually put some effort into promoting it...let' say "The Pearl Jam; Come and Take It Tour" or "Pearl Jam: Back in Texas to Restore Order Tour"...they would sell out multiple stops at these cities on the same tour. Their choice. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Save WhoSave Who Posts: 292
    Detroit has had one show in 15 years and has a nice new arena.  LCA needs its PJ cherry popped.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Watching the years tick by with so few shows in general doesn't bode well for very many areas besides the "go to's". Just kinda sad how the last 10 years have gone from a touring stand point.  Hope Ed's voice still holds up strong for 2022 and beyond. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    Watching the years tick by with so few shows in general doesn't bode well for very many areas besides the "go to's". Just kinda sad how the last 10 years have gone from a touring stand point.  Hope Ed's voice still holds up strong for 2022 and beyond. 
    I would say more like last 6-7 years

2013 was an incredible Pearl Jam year - new album, tons of shows, two destination events middle of the year.  They then followed up with the 2014 Tour which was another good one

But as soon as that 2014 USA tour finished, something happened and it’s never been the same since 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    They played a reasonable number of shows in 16 and 18 and would have played a bunch in 20 if not for the plague.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I really hope they add Chicago to the tour if it's in late winter. A few UC shows would be amazing!
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited July 2021
    I would say more like last 6-7 years

2013 was an incredible Pearl Jam year - new album, tons of shows, two destination events middle of the year.  They then followed up with the 2014 Tour which was another good one

But as soon as that 2014 USA tour finished, something happened and it’s never been the same since 
    They played a reasonable number of shows in 16 and 18 and would have played a bunch in 20 if not for the plague.  

I agree with RatherStarved.

2015 and 2017 were weird years with Global Citizen being the only USA (global?) show that year and Chris dying in what probably would have been a big year for Soundgarden. If Soundgarden has that big year, 2017 is understood as lost for Pearl Jam stuff.

Remember that album that Can't Deny Me was supposed to be on? It was teased in early 2018. Let's assume that the album was being written throughout much of the later part of 2017...but that might be bad thinking due to the comments made at Fenway about not touring for a while and "back to the studio" and all that. I still strongly believe that they had something almost ready to go for a late 2018 release and a huge tour in 2019, similar to what happened with Riot Act...but then the reset button was smashed hard.

Here's my guess about what could have happened, if not for fate. Events not necessarily in order. Predictions for the last two years are more blurry than predictions for the earlier years.

2017:
    Mike releases his book.
    Eddie solo tour through Europe.
    Soundgarden has a big year.
    The members of Pearl Jam take a year off from each other.
    Maybe some Jeff side project stuff.

2018:
    South American tour
    Album (not Gigaton) comes out while touring Europe. Can't Deny Me is the lead single.
    USA tour. Not Home/Away, but maybe ending with The Home Shows in Seattle.

2019:
    More USA dates
    Dates in the southern hemisphere.

2020:
    ??????
    Eddie solo stuff?

2021:
    Possible year off. Maybe Eddie back in Europe. 
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    What happened to the forthcoming album produced by Brendan O'Brien and containing Can't Deny Me is a fascinating question that we will likely never get an answer to. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 514
    JimmyV said:
    What happened to the forthcoming album produced by Brendan O'Brien and containing Can't Deny Me is a fascinating question that we will likely never get an answer to. 
    100000%
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    Save Who said:
    Detroit has had one show in 15 years and has a nice new arena.  LCA needs its PJ cherry popped.
    And what a show that was...…...
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    Now we know why they didn't add any shows this year around the festivals.....They just released the Pearl Jam Funk Pop! Figure set instead.  
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    I really hope they add more shows on the east coast
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    mfc2006 said:
    wbutler29 said:
    ComeToTX said:
    vedpunk said:
    RT85129 said:
    Atlanta deserves a tour stop in 2022.  Not sure if there's another metropolitan area which has been passed over more.  One tour stop in last twenty years....and it was a festival. 
    Houston says hold my beer. 
    Seriously. Texas as a whole has been ignored. Three festival sets and one arena show since 2003?

Kind of crazy . . . Houston is tailor-made for PJ fan base.  4th largest city in the US.  two major, international airports within 45 minutes of a 20,000 seat NBA arena and a 20,000+ outdoor amphitheater. Tough to play in the summer, but from Sept-May pretty decent weather.  I understand the bush-era resentment, but Houston is changing slowly but surely.
    BINGO.
    I would love to have a reason to visit Texas in 2022 and PJ will be a valid reason lol
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    vedpunk said:
    Now we know why they didn't add any shows this year around the festivals.....They just released the Pearl Jam Funk Pop! Figure set instead.  
    Working the desk job instead of the construction job. 
This discussion has been closed.