Options

Marjorie Taylor Greene

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,343
    mace1229 said:
    Republicans love lawsuits, apparently. Who knew?
    I don’t see the issue of suing teachers as Republican or democrat. Plenty of lawsuits against school have developed, not just Rs.
    You will soon as these red states enact these stupid new laws. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Is Biden referring to that Florida law that the Oscars made fun of? I don’t see how that is anti-trans.
    What Flo Rida law are you referring to?
    The one where you can’t tak about sex to first and second graders. I didn’t get why at the Oscars tbe hosts were chanting “gay, gay!” Someone told me it was making fun of that law, which has nothing to do with gay or trans.
    That's not quite right.  Sex ed is already banned K-5 in Florida.  This law bans discussion of gender issues K-3.  It also allows a parent to sue a school district if they think their child was privy to such a discussion. 
    You’re right, I just read a little more about it. I thought it was more broad.
    I still don’t see the issue, and part of the problem with labeling it the “don’t say gay bill” and celebrities repeating that is it’s spreading misinformation about what it really says. Nothing that I saw said they can’t say “gay.” 

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."
    Got that from this NPR article.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/03/28/1089221657/dont-say-gay-florida-desantis

You just can’t have classroom instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity. And why would you in first grade? You can still talk about civil rights and discrimination, historical figures who were gay, and so on. Just can’t have classroom instruction about what it means to be gay or a lesson about gender identity. And at 7 years old, leave it up to the parents to have that discussion. I don’t see if a kid asks “what is gay” that if a teacher answers “when someone has 2 daddys” or something like that fitting under this law, that’s not classroom instruction around sexual orientation. 
    I think giving parents the right to sue a school for what a teacher might say in class is outrageous.  Here in Virginia, our new (R) governor established a hotline for parents to complain about teachers.  It's also outrageous that we are dividing parents from teachers, as if they are the enemies.  
    As a spouse of a teacher I agree whole heartedly. Depending on the subject, at times teachers have to discuss sensitive topics that can make people uncomfortable. Seemingly innocuous lessons and conversations can be turned around on a teacher and get them reported. Years ago my wife had a parent complain about her and demand she get disciplined because of an answer she gave to a student who asked her a question about the lesson that she was teaching. The Principal dismissed the complaint for the BS it was, but not all administrators are willing to confront parents when they are wrong.
    @mace1229 this is what I'm talking about.  These types of suits.  
    That’s not a lawsuit. Nothing will stop parents from complaining. The parents of a straight A student complains about the teacher the first time their kids gets a B+. Parents complain every day.
    My first year teaching a parent filed a report against me for being racist because I called the office on her daughter for refusing to get in her seat and then cussing me out. According to the mom, I wouldn’t have asked her to get in her seat if she was white. Nothing is going to stop parents from complaining to the school.
    but these types of situations will turn into lawsuits with laws like these. 
    I don’t see that happening any more than it already does. In this case would only happen if a teacher intentionally designed a lesson about what is homosexuality for a class of 7 year olds. The law prohibits that. 

The law also prohibits me from teaching about Christianity. And I’d get sued if I built a lesson around that. Kids can ask “what’s the difference between Jewish and Christian” and I can give a brief answer and move on. No one’s ever called it the “don’t say god law.”
    Well that's really teh question, isn't it?  When does talking become instruction?  Does the law state to sue, there must be a lesson plan?  I doubt it.  
    Based on my experience and apply some common sense I would say it depends on who initiates it and the response given. A teacher can’t have a 5 minute journal writing with a prompt of “what is homosexuality?” Then say “well the kids just asked me what homosexuality was so I was only answer their questions.”
    But if a kid hears about the first gay president in a few years and asks “what is a gay president?” I don’t see how giving a short answer and moving on would apply here.
    Same with religion. I can answer a question. And it comes up a lot in science. But I can’t design a lesson about intelligent design and talk about the Bible because I covered evolution the week before.
  • Options
    Almost every change in schools was a result of a lawsuit. From not teaching creation, do special Ed instruction, food requirements, even bussing, suicide prevention protocol, school safety. You think only republicans have filed against schools?
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Is Biden referring to that Florida law that the Oscars made fun of? I don’t see how that is anti-trans.
    The one where you can’t tak about sex to first and second graders. I didn’t get why at the Oscars tbe hosts were chanting “gay, gay!” Someone told me it was making fun of that law, which has nothing to do with gay or trans.
    That's not quite right.  Sex ed is already banned K-5 in Florida.  This law bans discussion of gender issues K-3.  It also allows a parent to sue a school district if they think their child was privy to such a discussion. 
    I still don’t see the issue, and part of the problem with labeling it the “don’t say gay bill” and celebrities repeating that is it’s spreading misinformation about what it really says. Nothing that I saw said they can’t say “gay.” 

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

You just can’t have classroom instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity. And why would you in first grade? You can still talk about civil rights and discrimination, historical figures who were gay, and so on. Just can’t have classroom instruction about what it means to be gay or a lesson about gender identity. And at 7 years old, leave it up to the parents to have that discussion. I don’t see if a kid asks “what is gay” that if a teacher answers “when someone has 2 daddys” or something like that fitting under this law, that’s not classroom instruction around sexual orientation. 
    I think giving parents the right to sue a school for what a teacher might say in class is outrageous.  Here in Virginia, our new (R) governor established a hotline for parents to complain about teachers.  It's also outrageous that we are dividing parents from teachers, as if they are the enemies.  
    They are enemies. At least some of them. This is (culture) war.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,871
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

That’s always been the case. Teachers get sued a lot, I’m willing to bet that story that was posted a while ago with the math teacher doing a Native American dance is getting sued. Many school shootings involve lawsuits against the school and sometimes teachers.  So thats not new.
    And if there’s a law prohibiting an action, what’s the point of there’s no consequence?
    I can’t have a lesson about teen suicide without notifying parents. If I knowingly and willingly ignore that and intentionally design a lesson about teen suicide, should I not face a consequence? That would likely be in the form of a lawsuit from any parents that objected.
    I see no difference if there’s a law prohibiting me having a lesson around sexual orientation.
    Also the reason I’ve always been union. Even when it wasn’t well represented and actually discouraged by the district, I’m joining that union. Union = lawyers.
    if a teacher is going out of their way to provide a lesson that is not part of the developed and approved curriculum, they should be spoken to and possibly disciplined. But merely answering a question of a student who is curious should not be liable. 

should a teacher in the 60's have been prohibited from, and sued for, answering a student's question about interracial relationships?
    No, and I don’t read this law as saying that either. It prohibits instruction. It would be hard to prove in a lawsuit a question from a student was designed instruction.
    I don't know, as mrussell said, that's all up for interpretation. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Teachers deserve our respect and admiration.  We salute the troops and what not, but I'd love to hear a pilot on a plane salute teachers for a change.  We entrust them with our children every day, and pay them squat.  It's disgraceful.  They have to put their own money into their classes as well.  To me, being a teacher is a sacrifice.  
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

That’s always been the case. Teachers get sued a lot, I’m willing to bet that story that was posted a while ago with the math teacher doing a Native American dance is getting sued. Many school shootings involve lawsuits against the school and sometimes teachers.  So thats not new.
    And if there’s a law prohibiting an action, what’s the point of there’s no consequence?
    I can’t have a lesson about teen suicide without notifying parents. If I knowingly and willingly ignore that and intentionally design a lesson about teen suicide, should I not face a consequence? That would likely be in the form of a lawsuit from any parents that objected.
    I see no difference if there’s a law prohibiting me having a lesson around sexual orientation.
    Also the reason I’ve always been union. Even when it wasn’t well represented and actually discouraged by the district, I’m joining that union. Union = lawyers.
    if a teacher is going out of their way to provide a lesson that is not part of the developed and approved curriculum, they should be spoken to and possibly disciplined. But merely answering a question of a student who is curious should not be liable. 

should a teacher in the 60's have been prohibited from, and sued for, answering a student's question about interracial relationships?
    No, and I don’t read this law as saying that either. It prohibits instruction. It would be hard to prove in a lawsuit a question from a student was designed instruction.
    I don't know, as mrussell said, that's all up for interpretation. 
    So if this law allows lawsuits against teachers for teaching something the law says they can’t, is there anything preventing parents from suing anyway on other issues?  My understanding is there isn’t. Seems like a non issue to say they can sue, when they already can. I’ve literally been told by admin not to tell kids of color not to say the N word, because that’s their culture. It’s dumb. But there would be nothing preventing that parent from suing. I was told that because there was a rumor that another teacher in district was out on leave when a parent complained that he didn’t allow the N word. So I went to admin and asked, I said if that’s really true we should know. The response was “we can’t comment on that investigation, but if I were you I wouldn’t tell a student of color not to use that word because it might offend the parent.” Just because someone can sue doesn’t mean they will, or that they will win. After almost a year of paid leave the teacher got a big bonus and their job back. Never did know if that was really the reason or not.
    I really just don’t see this as turning a teacher answering a question into a successful lawsuit. I mean, not any more that what already exists.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,846
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Teachers deserve our respect and admiration.  We salute the troops and what not, but I'd love to hear a pilot on a plane salute teachers for a change.  We entrust them with our children every day, and pay them squat.  It's disgraceful.  They have to put their own money into their classes as well.  To me, being a teacher is a sacrifice.  
    Facts. 
  • Options
    well, generally lawsuits aren't very successful if there's no law against what they are suing for. sure, you can draw up a lawsuit on anything a lawyer is willing to let you pay them for, but if there's no law/precedence, then it will likely go nowhere. If there is a law and later, precedence, it makes it much easier to ruin someone's life over having a simple conversation. it's absurd and flies right in the face of "freedom". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    well, generally lawsuits aren't very successful if there's no law against what they are suing for. sure, you can draw up a lawsuit on anything a lawyer is willing to let you pay them for, but if there's no law/precedence, then it will likely go nowhere. If there is a law and later, precedence, it makes it much easier to ruin someone's life over having a simple conversation. it's absurd and flies right in the face of "freedom". 
    You’re right about not being very successful. We disagree on how this will apply to the classroom though.

Heres my prediction on how this plays out in a couple years. With all the people and celebs calling it the don’t say gay bill it just takes 1 to listen. A teacher is going to use the word “gay” appropriately in the classroom. Someone in the class is going to respond with “oooooh, you can’t say gay, you’re in trouble.” Another kid is going to believe that crap and say something to his parents. Mom is going to see dollar signs and try to cash in. After contacting a bunch of lawyers she finds one that’s desperate and wants the exposure so he takes it on. It makes national news for a week with everyone who said it before saying again that this means you can’t say gay.
    Meanwhile the teacher is on paid leave for 6 months, kids are without a teacher. An already struggling school is going to have to pay legal fees. Then when this is over the district is going to pay more fees to the teacher for wrongfully putting him on leave and ruining his career. But by then everyone forgot this story and just remembers the original lawsuit.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Absolutely...I have a cousin who collects some money from us every year to buy supplies. I'm a bit nervous about treatment of teachers anyway, just given the fervor of anti, well, anti-everything going on. (In case you didn't see the cynicsm there)

I admit that I have not followed "Don't say Gay" very closely. But I'm reminded of a debate I had with my boss in the early 2000s. His take was that "I don't want to know about it." The people that don't want to know about it; their mind always races to the bedroom. But the ultimate impact is people can't talk about their partners. They have to think twice about having pictures up in the office or talking about your weekend. Why? Because apparently some minds go straight to "the bedroom." Well, if it doesn't with hetero co-workers, why does it with gay co-workers? Again, I'm not even sure whether this is an apt analogy, but if my elementary school teacher can mention his wife, why can another one mention his husband? In neither case is the topic about sex (I sincerely hope). It's about telling the latter to pretend he spends his free time sitting in a chair and looking at the wall. Having two dads or two moms is every bit as much a part of culture as having one parent or being raised by grandparents. Does the bill actually make sure we pretend it doesn't exist? 

Or is this really addressing an actual problem about actual inappropriate talk that has happened and is not about providing a "safe space" for people who don't want today's realities to be at all acknowledged.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PS...I've known for years that I would never want to go into teaching...helicopter parents, potential false accusations of inappropriate behavior, etc. and it only seems to be getting bleaker.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    You’re right about not being very successful. We disagree on how this will apply to the classroom though.

Heres my prediction on how this plays out in a couple years. With all the people and celebs calling it the don’t say gay bill it just takes 1 to listen. A teacher is going to use the word “gay” appropriately in the classroom. Someone in the class is going to respond with “oooooh, you can’t say gay, you’re in trouble.” Another kid is going to believe that crap and say something to his parents. Mom is going to see dollar signs and try to cash in. After contacting a bunch of lawyers she finds one that’s desperate and wants the exposure so he takes it on. It makes national news for a week with everyone who said it before saying again that this means you can’t say gay.
    Meanwhile the teacher is on paid leave for 6 months, kids are without a teacher. An already struggling school is going to have to pay legal fees. Then when this is over the district is going to pay more fees to the teacher for wrongfully putting him on leave and ruining his career. But by then everyone forgot this story and just remembers the original lawsuit.
    I guess I just can't be as flippant about a stupid law that could potentially ruin lives of teachers. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    PS...I've known for years that I would never want to go into teaching...helicopter parents, potential false accusations of inappropriate behavior, etc. and it only seems to be getting bleaker.
    i agree. I know several teachers and they all seemed stressed out to the brink, especially during report card time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2022
    mace1229 said:

I guess I just can't be as flippant about a stupid law that could potentially ruin lives of teachers. 
    I actually don’t see anything wrong with the law as I interpret it. Teachers shouldn’t be explaining why someone is gay to an 8 year old. You’re 8 when you start 3rd grade. That doesn’t mean you can’t answer a question or teach discrimination in relation to how it affected gays. It’s never meant that for any of the other topics were not allowed to talk about.
    I guess we’re at a stalemate and only time will tell how it really impacts teachers. But if I was in Florida this probably wouldn’t be in my list of 100 things I’m worried about every day at school.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,528
    OnWis97 said:
    Forget helicopter parents, they have to deal with lawnmower parents. They aggressively run over anything or anyone that they think gets in the way of making their kids lives perfect. Don't like the grade your kid got, don't think your kid gets to play enough on the team? Just make a stink and start attacking.   
  • Options
    hahaha lawnmower parents. that's gold. I'm sure my teacher friends will identify with that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    OnWis97 said:
    Forget helicopter parents, they have to deal with lawnmower parents. They aggressively run over anything or anyone that they think gets in the way of making their kids lives perfect. Don't like the grade your kid got, don't think your kid gets to play enough on the team? Just make a stink and start attacking.   

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I actually don’t see anything wrong with the law as I interpret it. Teachers shouldn’t be explaining why someone is gay to an 8 year old. You’re 8 when you start 3rd grade. That doesn’t mean you can’t answer a question or teach discrimination in relation to how it affected gays. It’s never meant that for any of the other topics were not allowed to talk about.
    I guess we’re at a stalemate and only time will tell how it really impacts teachers. But if I was in Florida this probably wouldn’t be in my list of 100 things I’m worried about every day at school.
    The way these states are introducing these new laws and the way they are being covered by the right wing media, it almost feels as if they are asking parents to file lawsuits. I would be shocked if we do not see a big increase in lawsuits over the next few years....because that is what these politicians want. They want to muddy up the waters as best they can. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

100%. and it's the school system encouraging this type of behaviour from the parents. it's nauseating. I feel so lucky to have two star students who are self starters and self reliant. god knows I wasn't. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,528
    OnWis97 said:

Unfortunately it happens. My wife loves teaching kids and seeing them learn and achieve, but the rest of it wears on her a lot. Add to it all the laws, rules and documentation she has to be hyper aware of as a special education teacher. I truly don't know how she does it. I couldn't handle it. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    OnWis97 said:

Bingo
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,182
    OnWis97 said:
    imagine being a coach. when i worked as an athletic trainer at a high school a parent tried to sue the school district because their son got cut from the baseball team. fortunately the district backed the coach and nothing came of it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    imagine being a coach. when i worked as an athletic trainer at a high school a parent tried to sue the school district because their son got cut from the baseball team. fortunately the district backed the coach and nothing came of it.
    And yet people like Gym Jordan become congresspeople. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

The way these states are introducing these new laws and the way they are being covered by the right wing media, it almost feels as if they are asking parents to file lawsuits. I would be shocked if we do not see a big increase in lawsuits over the next few years....because that is what these politicians want. They want to muddy up the waters as best they can. 
    I disagree with that. Lots of lawsuits for just uttering the word “gay” isn’t going to look good for them (the politicians). I don’t think they, or hardly anyone, really cares. They just don’t want daily lessons built on what it means to be gay or trans to a 7 year old. Seems reasonable to me. Let’s learn to read and get caught up with math first.

Almost seems like the opposite to me. Not necessarily politicians, but just people/celebrities/social media celebs are exaggerating what these laws actually say so they can be like “look how evil Texas/Florida/the south/any red state,  etc is!” I don’t want to bring up bad feelings for some, but look at a thread that was closed and how that information was just wrong. 
    Teachers can’t initiate conversation in a lot of things, but are allowed to answer questions. And a teacher is probably 1000 times more likely to be falsely accused of misconduct than be sued for saying gay, that’s why this is so low o my radar.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Yeah, Mace, I just vehemently disagree. I do not believe there are many 3rd grade teachers currently teaching that stuff to kids, just like there are not many teaching Critical Race Theory. And if there are, it's gotta be such a small number of them that it should not warrant this kind of attention.

This is another battle of their Culture War. This is why they spend countless hours talking about it on Fox and other stations. They riled parents up last year and encouraged them to go to school board meetings to yell about masks and stuff. I look at this as an extension of that, to a degree (albeit a completely different subject). If Desantis runs for president, you can absolutely expect him to run on this as one of his main wedge issues. You just don't spend as much time hyping these kinds of bills up for it to not be a big deal .

Guess we'll see what happens!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,182
    Yeah, Mace, I just vehemently disagree. I do not believe there are many 3rd grade teachers currently teaching that stuff to kids, just like there are not many teaching Critical Race Theory. And if there are, it's gotta be such a small number of them that it should not warrant this kind of attention.

This is another battle of their Culture War. This is why they spend countless hours talking about it on Fox and other stations. They riled parents up last year and encouraged them to go to school board meetings to yell about masks and stuff. I look at this as an extension of that, to a degree (albeit a completely different subject). If Desantis runs for president, you can absolutely expect him to run on this as one of his main wedge issues. You just don't spend as much time hyping these kinds of bills up for it to not be a big deal .

this new law was a solution in search of a problem.

further proof that the gop is a party of grievance with zero ideas for any legislation of substance.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

In NY teachers earn a good salary with top benefits. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

In NY teachers earn a good salary with top benefits. 
    If it's under a 100k then I would not call it good.  Here in Virginia,  average is about 55k. For someone with a masters or bachelor's,  that's not good.  I hire kids out of school for 55 for entry level exempt positions. I wouldn't trust them with my kids 
  • Options

this new law was a solution in search of a problem.

further proof that the gop is a party of grievance with zero ideas for any legislation of substance.
    Same thing they did, and are doing, with their new voting restriction laws.
    chinese-happy.jpg