Options

Marjorie Taylor Greene

Comments

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,683
    mace1229 said:
    Is Biden referring to that Florida law that the Oscars made fun of? I don’t see how that is anti-trans.
    What Flo Rida law are you referring to?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,343
    She is a disgusting human being
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,323
  • Options
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    edited April 2022
    mace1229 said:
    Is Biden referring to that Florida law that the Oscars made fun of? I don’t see how that is anti-trans.
    The one where you can’t tak about sex to first and second graders. I didn’t get why at the Oscars tbe hosts were chanting “gay, gay!” Someone told me it was making fun of that law, which has nothing to do with gay or trans.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    The one where you can’t tak about sex to first and second graders. I didn’t get why at the Oscars tbe hosts were chanting “gay, gay!” Someone told me it was making fun of that law, which has nothing to do with gay or trans.
    That's not quite right.  Sex ed is already banned K-5 in Florida.  This law bans discussion of gender issues K-3.  It also allows a parent to sue a school district if they think their child was privy to such a discussion. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    For example...it prevents a teacher from explaining to students how or why another student has 2 dads or 2 moms.
    Or why he or she has a same sex partner
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,871
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    isn't it nicknamed the "Don't Say Gay" bill?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    isn't it nicknamed the "Don't Say Gay" bill?
    Nicknamed by the opponents
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    That's not quite right.  Sex ed is already banned K-5 in Florida.  This law bans discussion of gender issues K-3.  It also allows a parent to sue a school district if they think their child was privy to such a discussion. 
    You’re right, I just read a little more about it. I thought it was more broad.
    I still don’t see the issue, and part of the problem with labeling it the “don’t say gay bill” and celebrities repeating that is it’s spreading misinformation about what it really says. Nothing that I saw said they can’t say “gay.” 

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."
    Got that from this NPR article.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/03/28/1089221657/dont-say-gay-florida-desantis

You just can’t have classroom instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity. And why would you in first grade? You can still talk about civil rights and discrimination, historical figures who were gay, and so on. Just can’t have classroom instruction about what it means to be gay or a lesson about gender identity. And at 7 years old, leave it up to the parents to have that discussion. I don’t see if a kid asks “what is gay” that if a teacher answers “when someone has 2 daddys” or something like that fitting under this law, that’s not classroom instruction around sexual orientation. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    For example...it prevents a teacher from explaining to students how or why another student has 2 dads or 2 moms.
    Why would you want to explain the why to a 7 year old that isn’t yours? I’m not going to speculators why someone else is gay and explain that to a child.
    That doesn’t prevent me from saying “gay” and talking about civil rights and a history of discrimination.
    Pretty sure that child and their parents wouldn’t want their private lives being the focus of a class discussion and the teacher trying to explain it to the class either. Seems extremely inappropriate to me.

The school should be sued if they sit the kids in a circle and ask “why do you think Johnny has 2 dads?”
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I still don’t see the issue, and part of the problem with labeling it the “don’t say gay bill” and celebrities repeating that is it’s spreading misinformation about what it really says. Nothing that I saw said they can’t say “gay.” 

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

You just can’t have classroom instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity. And why would you in first grade? You can still talk about civil rights and discrimination, historical figures who were gay, and so on. Just can’t have classroom instruction about what it means to be gay or a lesson about gender identity. And at 7 years old, leave it up to the parents to have that discussion. I don’t see if a kid asks “what is gay” that if a teacher answers “when someone has 2 daddys” or something like that fitting under this law, that’s not classroom instruction around sexual orientation. 
    I think giving parents the right to sue a school for what a teacher might say in class is outrageous.  Here in Virginia, our new (R) governor established a hotline for parents to complain about teachers.  It's also outrageous that we are dividing parents from teachers, as if they are the enemies.  
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Why would you want to explain the why to a 7 year old that isn’t yours? I’m not going to speculators why someone else is gay and explain that to a child.
    That doesn’t prevent me from saying “gay” and talking about civil rights and a history of discrimination.
    Pretty sure that child and their parents wouldn’t want their private lives being the focus of a class discussion and the teacher trying to explain it to the class either. Seems extremely inappropriate to me.

The school should be sued if they sit the kids in a circle and ask “why do you think Johnny has 2 dads?”
    why? the school should be SUED? you don't think kids should be taught inclusion and tolerance at a young age? school isn't merely academics; if the school can teach sex ed, then they should be able to address these other questions. all this bill does is take away a bigot's inability to speak about something that scares them. 

all a teacher has to say in this situation is "relationships can be between any two people of consensual age, regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, etc", and then "if you have more question, I'd suggest you talk to your parent/guardian about it". 

the right is just so scared of people "giving you gay", which is so utterly preposterous, so they are limiting what people are allowed to speak about. which is INSANITY. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I think giving parents the right to sue a school for what a teacher might say in class is outrageous.  Here in Virginia, our new (R) governor established a hotline for parents to complain about teachers.  It's also outrageous that we are dividing parents from teachers, as if they are the enemies.  
    That’s always been the case. Teachers get sued a lot, I’m willing to bet that story that was posted a while ago with the math teacher doing a Native American dance is getting sued. Many school shootings involve lawsuits against the school and sometimes teachers.  So thats not new.
    And if there’s a law prohibiting an action, what’s the point of there’s no consequence?
    I can’t have a lesson about teen suicide without notifying parents. If I knowingly and willingly ignore that and intentionally design a lesson about teen suicide, should I not face a consequence? That would likely be in the form of a lawsuit from any parents that objected.
    I see no difference if there’s a law prohibiting me having a lesson around sexual orientation.
    Also the reason I’ve always been union. Even when it wasn’t well represented and actually discouraged by the district, I’m joining that union. Union = lawyers.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,528
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

As a spouse of a teacher I agree whole heartedly. Depending on the subject, at times teachers have to discuss sensitive topics that can make people uncomfortable. Seemingly innocuous lessons and conversations can be turned around on a teacher and get them reported. Years ago my wife had a parent complain about her and demand she get disciplined because of an answer she gave to a student who asked her a question about the lesson that she was teaching. The Principal dismissed the complaint for the BS it was, but not all administrators are willing to confront parents when they are wrong.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

That’s always been the case. Teachers get sued a lot, I’m willing to bet that story that was posted a while ago with the math teacher doing a Native American dance is getting sued. Many school shootings involve lawsuits against the school and sometimes teachers.  So thats not new.
    And if there’s a law prohibiting an action, what’s the point of there’s no consequence?
    I can’t have a lesson about teen suicide without notifying parents. If I knowingly and willingly ignore that and intentionally design a lesson about teen suicide, should I not face a consequence? That would likely be in the form of a lawsuit from any parents that objected.
    I see no difference if there’s a law prohibiting me having a lesson around sexual orientation.
    Also the reason I’ve always been union. Even when it wasn’t well represented and actually discouraged by the district, I’m joining that union. Union = lawyers.
    There's a difference between a designed lesson and talking about something, isn't there?  Teachers talk in class.  Kids ask questions.  Now the state of FL has expressly allowed a law suit to be filed in that situation.  Isn't there a distinction here?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

if a teacher is going out of their way to provide a lesson that is not part of the developed and approved curriculum, they should be spoken to and possibly disciplined. But merely answering a question of a student who is curious should not be liable. 

should a teacher in the 60's have been prohibited from, and sued for, answering a student's question about interracial relationships?
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

As a spouse of a teacher I agree whole heartedly. Depending on the subject, at times teachers have to discuss sensitive topics that can make people uncomfortable. Seemingly innocuous lessons and conversations can be turned around on a teacher and get them reported. Years ago my wife had a parent complain about her and demand she get disciplined because of an answer she gave to a student who asked her a question about the lesson that she was teaching. The Principal dismissed the complaint for the BS it was, but not all administrators are willing to confront parents when they are wrong.
    @mace1229 this is what I'm talking about.  These types of suits.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

There's a difference between a designed lesson and talking about something, isn't there?  Teachers talk in class.  Kids ask questions.  Now the state of FL has expressly allowed a law suit to be filed in that situation.  Isn't there a distinction here?
    I don’t know if it does allow it though. The law specifically prohibits instruction. A kid asking a question and giving a brief, appropriate answer isn’t “instruction” to me. 
    Intentionally setting aside class time to discuss what homosexuality means to you, that’s instruction.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

That’s not a lawsuit. Nothing will stop parents from complaining. The parents of a straight A student complains about the teacher the first time their kids gets a B+. Parents complain every day.
    My first year teaching a parent filed a report against me for being racist because I called the office on her daughter for refusing to get in her seat and then cussing me out. According to the mom, I wouldn’t have asked her to get in her seat if she was white. Nothing is going to stop parents from complaining to the school.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

That’s not a lawsuit. Nothing will stop parents from complaining. The parents of a straight A student complains about the teacher the first time their kids gets a B+. Parents complain every day.
    My first year teaching a parent filed a report against me for being racist because I called the office on her daughter for refusing to get in her seat and then cussing me out. According to the mom, I wouldn’t have asked her to get in her seat if she was white. Nothing is going to stop parents from complaining to the school.
    but these types of situations will turn into lawsuits with laws like these. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don’t see that happening any more than it already does. In this case would only happen if a teacher intentionally designed a lesson about what is homosexuality for a class of 7 year olds. The law prohibits that. 

The law also prohibits me from teaching about Christianity. And I’d get sued if I built a lesson around that. Kids can ask “what’s the difference between Jewish and Christian” and I can give a brief answer and move on. No one’s ever called it the “don’t say god law.”
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,153
    Fuck this disgusting human being. Check yourself if you are a fan. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Republicans love lawsuits, apparently. Who knew?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Fuck this disgusting human being. Check yourself if you are a fan. 
    For the record, I haven’t seen anyone defend MTG here. This is just a side topic of the Florida bill.
  • Options
    Republicans love lawsuits, apparently. Who knew?
    I don’t see the issue of suing teachers as Republican or democrat. Plenty of lawsuits against school have developed, not just Rs.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I don’t see that happening any more than it already does. In this case would only happen if a teacher intentionally designed a lesson about what is homosexuality for a class of 7 year olds. The law prohibits that. 

The law also prohibits me from teaching about Christianity. And I’d get sued if I built a lesson around that. Kids can ask “what’s the difference between Jewish and Christian” and I can give a brief answer and move on. No one’s ever called it the “don’t say god law.”
    Well that's really teh question, isn't it?  When does talking become instruction?  Does the law state to sue, there must be a lesson plan?  I doubt it.  
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

if a teacher is going out of their way to provide a lesson that is not part of the developed and approved curriculum, they should be spoken to and possibly disciplined. But merely answering a question of a student who is curious should not be liable. 

should a teacher in the 60's have been prohibited from, and sued for, answering a student's question about interracial relationships?
    No, and I don’t read this law as saying that either. It prohibits instruction. It would be hard to prove in a lawsuit a question from a student was designed instruction.