Options

Marjorie Taylor Greene

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,040
    Yeah, Mace, I just vehemently disagree. I do not believe there are many 3rd grade teachers currently teaching that stuff to kids, just like there are not many teaching Critical Race Theory. And if there are, it's gotta be such a small number of them that it should not warrant this kind of attention.

This is another battle of their Culture War. This is why they spend countless hours talking about it on Fox and other stations. They riled parents up last year and encouraged them to go to school board meetings to yell about masks and stuff. I look at this as an extension of that, to a degree (albeit a completely different subject). If Desantis runs for president, you can absolutely expect him to run on this as one of his main wedge issues. You just don't spend as much time hyping these kinds of bills up for it to not be a big deal .

Guess we'll see what happens!
    I do agree with your first paragraph. Probably not an issue anyway. Not an necessary law, but the impact is also being over blown.
    If I’m wrong and there are lots of lawsuits, then I hope the first one against a teacher who plays an episode of The Flintstones.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,280
    Seems like a bill suited for the conservative rural communities of any state in the US. I doubt this would get much support in any large urban environment. It's also probably the last thing I would be concerned about my kid hearing about at school. Like some have mentioned, unless this was a wide spread issue, I don't know why legislation is being wasted on it besides it being a chest puffing opportunity for the culture warriors in the conservative circles.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,573
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,183
    this was just painful to watch. hannity is doing his best to gaslight the entire world.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,894
    I often wonder if these dupes on fox actually believe the stuff they say on tv, or if it's all just theatre to them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,183
    I often wonder if these dupes on fox actually believe the stuff they say on tv, or if it's all just theatre to them. 
    they are the truest of true believers.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    The only thing worse than someone like Marjorie Taylor Greene being in any kind of public office is the fact that so many MILLIONS of people side with her (and Trump, and etc.).  I've been thinking about that a lot lately.  I need to stop doing that.  It's not good for one's mental health!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    The only thing worse than someone like Marjorie Taylor Greene being in any kind of public office is the fact that so many MILLIONS of people side with her (and Trump, and etc.).  I've been thinking about that a lot lately.  I need to stop doing that.  It's not good for one's mental health!
    I think part of it is that they don't see a viable alternative and side with their own ignorance.  Conversations and teaching is how we get through this.  Not brow beating and screaming.  Even in the face of brow beating and screaming from them, sometimes it is best to remain calm and speak as a reasonable individual...easier said than done, but I still try to practice it when I can, far from the confines of AMT.  We are all in this together as they say.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    @brianlux since you are a reading man, here is one of my favorites from one of the all time experts on the subject.  https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/king-papers/documents/loving-your-enemies-sermon-delivered-detroit-council-churches-noon-lenten
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    I think part of it is that they don't see a viable alternative and side with their own ignorance.  Conversations and teaching is how we get through this.  Not brow beating and screaming.  Even in the face of brow beating and screaming from them, sometimes it is best to remain calm and speak as a reasonable individual...easier said than done, but I still try to practice it when I can, far from the confines of AMT.  We are all in this together as they say.  

I agree that brow beating and screaming does not change anyone's thinking.  I'm pretty sure I've said here before that yelling at someone has never changed any one's mind.  You never hear people say, "Thanks for chewing my ass out and calling me a dick head, it helped me change my outlook."

But that said, true believers rarely change, and so many of those in the right wing are simply digging their heals in.  And if they are saying the left is doing things that don't work well for them so they would rather go with Trump or Greene, that is like saying "My old toothbrush isn't doing the job well enough so I think I'll use a wire brush instead."  It just makes no sense.  Trump and Greene are not going to make these people lives better.  They are not going to make the land base that sustains us more viable.  They are not going to ease anyone's burdens.  They are only going to make life worse.  It makes no sense.

And it's almost impossible to change the minds of fanatics.  Look at history.  Look at Jonestown.  They would rather take the Kool-Aid.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited April 2022
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

I agree that brow beating and screaming does not change anyone's thinking.  I'm pretty sure I've said here before that yelling at someone has never changed any one's mind.  You never hear people say, "Thanks for chewing my ass out and calling me a dick head, it helped me change my outlook."

But that said, true believers rarely change, and so many of those in the right wing are simply digging their heals in.  And if they are saying the left is doing things that don't work well for them so they would rather go with Trump or Greene, that is like saying "My old toothbrush isn't doing the job well enough so I think I'll use a wire brush instead."  It just makes no sense.  Trump and Greene are not going to make these people lives better.  They are not going to make the land base that sustains us more viable.  They are not going to ease anyone's burdens.  They are only going to make life worse.  It makes no sense.

And it's almost impossible to change the minds of fanatics.  Look at history.  Look at Jonestown.  They would rather take the Kool-Aid.
    that's why no one is trying to change those minds. you work on the centre rights and independents. the far rights are just so full of hate and fear that it doesn't matter if trump literally blew their house up: they have no other choice but to follow the person that feeds their hate and fear, right over the cliff if necessary. otherwise their identity is lost, and they have no purpose. 

there's a certain person here who fits this description, and why it's best to laugh at them rather than engage. there is no point. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,573
    edited April 2022
    brianlux said:
    I often ask what is worse?

The consporacy theory spewing, lying racist xenophobe like MTG and TGF?

Or

The people who continue to support them financially,  by voting, and posting on message boards.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,167
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Is Biden referring to that Florida law that the Oscars made fun of? I don’t see how that is anti-trans.
    What Flo Rida law are you referring to?
    The one where you can’t tak about sex to first and second graders. I didn’t get why at the Oscars tbe hosts were chanting “gay, gay!” Someone told me it was making fun of that law, which has nothing to do with gay or trans.
    That's not quite right.  Sex ed is already banned K-5 in Florida.  This law bans discussion of gender issues K-3.  It also allows a parent to sue a school district if they think their child was privy to such a discussion. 
    You’re right, I just read a little more about it. I thought it was more broad.
    I still don’t see the issue, and part of the problem with labeling it the “don’t say gay bill” and celebrities repeating that is it’s spreading misinformation about what it really says. Nothing that I saw said they can’t say “gay.” 

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."
    Got that from this NPR article.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/03/28/1089221657/dont-say-gay-florida-desantis

You just can’t have classroom instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity. And why would you in first grade? You can still talk about civil rights and discrimination, historical figures who were gay, and so on. Just can’t have classroom instruction about what it means to be gay or a lesson about gender identity. And at 7 years old, leave it up to the parents to have that discussion. I don’t see if a kid asks “what is gay” that if a teacher answers “when someone has 2 daddys” or something like that fitting under this law, that’s not classroom instruction around sexual orientation. 
    I think giving parents the right to sue a school for what a teacher might say in class is outrageous.  Here in Virginia, our new (R) governor established a hotline for parents to complain about teachers.  It's also outrageous that we are dividing parents from teachers, as if they are the enemies.  
    They are enemies. At least some of them. This is (culture) war.
    Teachers deserve our respect and admiration.  We salute the troops and what not, but I'd love to hear a pilot on a plane salute teachers for a change.  We entrust them with our children every day, and pay them squat.  It's disgraceful.  They have to put their own money into their classes as well.  To me, being a teacher is a sacrifice.  

In NY teachers earn a good salary with top benefits. 
    If it's under a 100k then I would not call it good.  Here in Virginia,  average is about 55k. For someone with a masters or bachelor's,  that's not good.  I hire kids out of school for 55 for entry level exempt positions. I wouldn't trust them with my kids 

That’s true in the city, but out here in the burbs, teachers with 20+ years are typically over 100k with top benefits and many (if not a majority) can afford to retire in their mid to late fifties with a good pension.

” Close to one-fifth (18.6 percent) of all public-school teachers and administrators employed by school districts outside New York City were paid more than $100,000 last year—including most education professionals on Long Island, according to salary data posted today at SeeThroughNY.net, the Empire Center’s transparency website.”

https://www.empirecenter.org/publications/most-long-island-educators-paid-at-least-100000-last-year/
  • Options
    static111 said:
    @brianlux since you are a reading man, here is one of my favorites from one of the all time experts on the subject.  https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/king-papers/documents/loving-your-enemies-sermon-delivered-detroit-council-churches-noon-lenten
    Thanks, Static, that is indeed a beautiful message.  The thing is, Dr. King was a far better man than I and I do admire what he says.  I seldom if ever express my anger and hatred to individuals, but I cannot lie and say I love everyone.  I try to minimize the hate but, being at least somewhat misanthropic, I cannot pretend to love all.
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

that's why no one is trying to change those minds. you work on the centre rights and independents. the far rights are just so full of hate and fear that it doesn't matter if trump literally blew their house up: they have no other choice but to follow the person that feeds their hate and fear, right over the cliff if necessary. otherwise their identity is lost, and they have no purpose. 

there's a certain person here who fits this description, and why it's best to laugh at them rather than engage. there is no point. 

I have not seen this quote, so I can't verity it, but I am told Trump has claimed that his followers love him so much that even if he went out and shot someone at random on the street they would still vote for him.  How does one love a man like that?  I cannot.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,709
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Is Biden referring to that Florida law that the Oscars made fun of? I don’t see how that is anti-trans.
    The one where you can’t tak about sex to first and second graders. I didn’t get why at the Oscars tbe hosts were chanting “gay, gay!” Someone told me it was making fun of that law, which has nothing to do with gay or trans.
    That's not quite right.  Sex ed is already banned K-5 in Florida.  This law bans discussion of gender issues K-3.  It also allows a parent to sue a school district if they think their child was privy to such a discussion. 
    I still don’t see the issue, and part of the problem with labeling it the “don’t say gay bill” and celebrities repeating that is it’s spreading misinformation about what it really says. Nothing that I saw said they can’t say “gay.” 

"Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

You just can’t have classroom instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity. And why would you in first grade? You can still talk about civil rights and discrimination, historical figures who were gay, and so on. Just can’t have classroom instruction about what it means to be gay or a lesson about gender identity. And at 7 years old, leave it up to the parents to have that discussion. I don’t see if a kid asks “what is gay” that if a teacher answers “when someone has 2 daddys” or something like that fitting under this law, that’s not classroom instruction around sexual orientation. 
    I think giving parents the right to sue a school for what a teacher might say in class is outrageous.  Here in Virginia, our new (R) governor established a hotline for parents to complain about teachers.  It's also outrageous that we are dividing parents from teachers, as if they are the enemies.  
    Teachers deserve our respect and admiration.  We salute the troops and what not, but I'd love to hear a pilot on a plane salute teachers for a change.  We entrust them with our children every day, and pay them squat.  It's disgraceful.  They have to put their own money into their classes as well.  To me, being a teacher is a sacrifice.  

If it's under a 100k then I would not call it good.  Here in Virginia,  average is about 55k. For someone with a masters or bachelor's,  that's not good.  I hire kids out of school for 55 for entry level exempt positions. I wouldn't trust them with my kids 

That’s true in the city, but out here in the burbs, teachers with 20+ years are typically over 100k with top benefits and many (if not a majority) can afford to retire in their mid to late fifties with a good pension.

” Close to one-fifth (18.6 percent) of all public-school teachers and administrators employed by school districts outside New York City were paid more than $100,000 last year—including most education professionals on Long Island, according to salary data posted today at SeeThroughNY.net, the Empire Center’s transparency website.”

https://www.empirecenter.org/publications/most-long-island-educators-paid-at-least-100000-last-year/
    That is NY, so the compensation scales are different.  I bet that translates to 70k here in Richmond.  And if you told me 18% were over 70k, that isn't impressive  to me.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

That is NY, so the compensation scales are different.  I bet that translates to 70k here in Richmond.  And if you told me 18% were over 70k, that isn't impressive  to me.  
    It’s definitely not an executive lifestyle but a comfortable one, and many are retired by 55 with the ability to afford two residences. I’d say that’s not too terrible. And many teachers at 20+ years are north of 130k, without the need to have ten direct reports and online Teams meetings round the clock, or whatever the corporate comparable existence is.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    Thanks, Static, that is indeed a beautiful message.  The thing is, Dr. King was a far better man than I and I do admire what he says.  I seldom if ever express my anger and hatred to individuals, but I cannot lie and say I love everyone.  I try to minimize the hate but, being at least somewhat misanthropic, I cannot pretend to love all.
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

I have not seen this quote, so I can't verity it, but I am told Trump has claimed that his followers love him so much that even if he went out and shot someone at random on the street they would still vote for him.  How does one love a man like that?  I cannot.
    https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/23/politics/donald-trump-shoot-somebody-support/index.html

he said it during one of his campaign rallies
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/01/23/politics/donald-trump-shoot-somebody-support/index.html

he said it during one of his campaign rallies

That's it, thanks!

"Donald Trump boasted Saturday that support for his presidential campaign would not decline even if he shot someone in the middle of a crowded street.

“I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters,” Trump said at a campaign rally here.

After the event, Trump declined to answer when asked by CNN to clarify his comments."

• Options

Liberal activists doing their best to sue to disqualify Marj from running for re-election. A similar case was already lost in NC, so this seems likely headed to SCOTUS. I could see Roberts voting with the libs and losing 5-4, so the Court would then confirm that an insurrectionist can run for Congress or even President. Wonder if Roberts feels any culpability letting the extremist horses loose from the barn.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,996

Liberal activists doing their best to sue to disqualify Marj from running for re-election. A similar case was already lost in NC, so this seems likely headed to SCOTUS. I could see Roberts voting with the libs and losing 5-4, so the Court would then confirm that an insurrectionist can run for Congress or even President. Wonder if Roberts feels any culpability letting the extremist horses loose from the barn.

so rather than fight in state court where it belongs first.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,040

I can’t stand MtG, but I think that’s a terrible idea. Unless someone was convicted of a crime or impeached. If you let courts and politicians decide who can run then that defeats the purpose of an election. Let the people vote. Don’t like her, then put up a better candidate to run against her.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I can’t stand MtG, but I think that’s a terrible idea. Unless someone was convicted of a crime or impeached. If you let courts and politicians decide who can run then that defeats the purpose of an election. Let the people vote. Don’t like her, then put up a better candidate to run against her.

read the 14th amendment in full.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

This is a tricky topic because one could argue that most of what Team Trump did was advancing crackpot legal theories that had no chance under a judicial microscope.  Only if you could prove that they intentionally organized and unleashed the mob AND MTG was aware and part of that conspiracy, would it be disqualifying.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

This is a tricky topic because one could argue that most of what Team Trump did was advancing crackpot legal theories that had no chance under a judicial microscope.  Only if you could prove that they intentionally organized and unleashed the mob AND MTG was aware and part of that conspiracy, would it be disqualifying.  

I believe the one rep alwrted police that mtg may have been of of the reps leading tours on jan 5. if any of those folks seen on footage from jan 5 then entered on jan 6, logical argument is mtg helped them.

• Options
    Boebert tweeting Pelosi left the chamber is helping them in my book...

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

I believe the one rep alwrted police that mtg may have been of of the reps leading tours on jan 5. if any of those folks seen on footage from jan 5 then entered on jan 6, logical argument is mtg helped them.
    logical, but not necessarily beyond a reasonable doubt.  Was it a scouting mission and was she aware of that?  I'm just saying, what we believe and what can be proved are different. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

logical, but not necessarily beyond a reasonable doubt.  Was it a scouting mission and was she aware of that?  I'm just saying, what we believe and what can be proved are different. 

plain language of 14 doesnt make that distinction. so the originalist court would in theory need to rule her out.
    would also point out the "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a consideration for criminal proceedings but civil realm has a less strict burden to meet.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

plain language of 14 doesnt make that distinction. so the originalist court would in theory need to rule her out.
    would also point out the "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a consideration for criminal proceedings but civil realm has a less strict burden to meet.

But there's no definition of what it means to engage in insurrection.  So that needs to be litigated.  I'm just saying it feels like a high hurdle. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

But there's no definition of what it means to engage in insurrection.  So that needs to be litigated.  I'm just saying it feels like a high hurdle. 

well surely there is a mechanism to stop these fucktards without relying an electorate that is passively ignorant, willfully militant or just trolling for a lark.