Capitol Hill Riots

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    Thanks for the clarification, so I have to walk back my last statement about this guy. I know it’s not a popular viewpoint here, but if he didn’t attempt to or actually breach the building he was just a protester in my eyes.

That said, the woman that was shot I still have no problem with, given the facts around her death. It’s sad that she died, but she made her choice.
    Yeah there were clearly a lot of people that attended to protest without storming the capitol.  I don't have a problem with those idiots.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    do we feel sorry for extremists who have been brainwashed into hating america? 

you know what we should be doing? start calling these fucks what they are: radical republican terrorists. 
    I certainly feel for their families and any other innocents in their lives. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Thanks for the clarification, so I have to walk back my last statement about this guy. I know it’s not a popular viewpoint here, but if he didn’t attempt to or actually breach the building he was just a protester in my eyes.

That said, the woman that was shot I still have no problem with, given the facts around her death. It’s sad that she died, but she made her choice.
    Yeah there were clearly a lot of people that attended to protest without storming the capitol.  I don't have a problem with those idiots.

Agreed.  They have the right to protest, even if they are idiots for supporting Trump.  But those who stormed the Capitol deserve everything that's coming to to them and that they show any surprise if further evidence of idiocy.

I also agree that it really must suck for those who are related to but don't adhere to the beliefs of these seditionists.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

absolutely agree. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    edited January 2021
    I was surprised that they used a real name in that story. Kevin Gleeson was a guy who did die last week in the riot, of a heart attack and not electrocution of the testicles. I didn't think any of that story would be true. Now any website with that picture and name floating around is probably open to a lawsuit. Our 10c dues just went up. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    edited January 2021
    brianlux said:

Agreed.  They have the right to protest, even if they are idiots for supporting Trump.  But those who stormed the Capitol deserve everything that's coming to to them and that they show any surprise if further evidence of idiocy.

I also agree that it really must suck for those who are related to but don't adhere to the beliefs of these seditionists.
    I bet he died before he had the chance to "storm" the capitol. I do not believe any loved ones stories regarding these people. They want to paint a nice picture of them and I would want to do the same if I was in that position.  A quick search on his social media posts tells me he was all in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-supporters-who-died-during-capitol-riot-left-online-presence-n1253400

“Kevin was an advocate of President Trump and attended the event on January 6, 2020 to show his support,” the family said in a statement. “He was not there to participate in violence or rioting, nor did he condone such actions.”

Greeson appeared to be active on Parler, the “Twitter for conservatives,” where an account with his name and picture lodged threats against Democrat and Republican politicians who Greeson said did not sufficiently support Trump.

Responding to a post that floated the “militia option” to keep Trump in office, Greeson wrote, “I’m in.. call me I have guns and ammo!” He interacted with posts from the far-right Proud Boys, telling them to give Antifa “hell.”

Greeson also said he hoped House Speaker Nancy Pelosi would get Covid-19 and die, and on Dec. 17 wrote, “Let’s take this f------ Country BACK!! Load your guns and take to the streets!”

Post edited by PJNB on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,353
    edited January 2021
    mace1229 said:
    I was surprised that they used a real name in that story. Kevin Gleeson was a guy who did die last week in the riot, of a heart attack and not electrocution of the testicles. I didn't think any of that story would be true. Now any website with that picture and name floating around is probably open to a lawsuit. Our 10c dues just went up. 
    I wish his family luck with their lawsuits, and would also advise them not to hold their collective breath for a favorable outcome. 
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:

I bet he died before he had the chance to "storm" the capitol. I do not believe any loved ones stories regarding these people. They want to paint a nice picture of them and I would want to do the same if I was in that position.  A quick search on his social media posts tells me he was all in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-supporters-who-died-during-capitol-riot-left-online-presence-n1253400

“Kevin was an advocate of President Trump and attended the event on January 6, 2020 to show his support,” the family said in a statement. “He was not there to participate in violence or rioting, nor did he condone such actions.”

Greeson appeared to be active on Parler, the “Twitter for conservatives,” where an account with his name and picture lodged threats against Democrat and Republican politicians who Greeson said did not sufficiently support Trump.

Responding to a post that floated the “militia option” to keep Trump in office, Greeson wrote, “I’m in.. call me I have guns and ammo!” He interacted with posts from the far-right Proud Boys, telling them to give Antifa “hell.”

Greeson also said he hoped House Speaker Nancy Pelosi would get Covid-19 and die, and on Dec. 17 wrote, “Let’s take this f------ Country BACK!! Load your guns and take to the streets!”

at first i had the same thought (why believe the wife?), i see what you're saying, but a lot of what people say online, as we well know, is mostly just big talk. when it comes to action, most just sit back and let others. 

if the statements by witnesses, including paramedics, say he wasn't armed, and wasn't near the entrance of the capitol, i have no reason to believe one way or the other. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,395
    Apologize if this has been Posted already:

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:

at first i had the same thought (why believe the wife?), i see what you're saying, but a lot of what people say online, as we well know, is mostly just big talk. when it comes to action, most just sit back and let others. 

if the statements by witnesses, including paramedics, say he wasn't armed, and wasn't near the entrance of the capitol, i have no reason to believe one way or the other. 
    If you just take that day of his and judge him off of those actions then yes I agree fully if the reports are true. That said the online rhetoric is straight garbage and posts like that is the reason why Jan 6th ended up the way it did. I am not saying you disagree just that his action that day is not the whole picture. 
    edited January 2021
    cutz said:

i think it was posted, but a couple thoughts on it that i didn't give before:

how does she know it was "reconnaissance"? you can't just assume it was that because of hindsight. you'd have to have known that when it was happening. and if so, she should have said something at the time. maybe they had legitimate public tours? I don't know if those exist, but this is a dangerous accusation. one that shouldn't just be announced on twitter without absolute proof. 

I sincerely hope this isn't just a bluff hoping that she's right and trying to get attention. that would be seriously damaging to the dissemination of the real truth of the investigation and her career. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

cutz said:

how does she know it was "reconnaissance"? you can't just assume it was that because of hindsight. you'd have to have known that when it was happening. and if so, she should have said something at the time. maybe they had legitimate public tours? I don't know if those exist, but this is a dangerous accusation. one that shouldn't just be announced on twitter without absolute proof. 

I sincerely hope this isn't just a bluff hoping that she's right and trying to get attention. that would be seriously damaging to the dissemination of the real truth of the investigation and her career. 
    One thing I found noteworthy, this is a 10 year Navy Vet & an Annapolis grad. It's not like these accusations came from say, AOC, who I'm under the impression has no military training at all. 

That's not to give life to this accusation, and as someone else mentioned, I would imagine there's video footage to back this up if true. 
    cutz said:

One thing I found noteworthy, this is a 10 year Navy Vet & an Annapolis grad. It's not like these accusations came from say, AOC, who I'm under the impression has no military training at all. 

That's not to give life to this accusation, and as someone else mentioned, I would imagine there's video footage to back this up if true. 
    i get that, but this is a very specific allegation that requires actual proof, not just "i saw gaetz giving a tour of the capitol to a bunch of duck dynasties". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    It feels like the term "reconnaissance" here has to be an assumption. Like "I saw them with Congressperson X and then they showed up the next day at the capital. You do the math."  But if that's the case, she should have phrased it closer to that and maybe suggested it may have been reconnaissance. Because, yeah, if she actually recognized it in the moment as reconnaissance, then she clearly dropped the ball.

It doesn't seem like she'd be lying about this. Then again, here GOP counterparts tell worse lies on a per-minute basis.

It's not going to come to anything, anyway, unless there's footage that can put someone there on both days.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    cutz said:

i get that, but this is a very specific allegation that requires actual proof, not just "i saw gaetz giving a tour of the capitol to a bunch of duck dynasties". 
    & I get that too. 

To my knowledge she didn't mention any names though, so it's not as specific as you're suggesting either. 

IDK if it's BS or not, but I also don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that something curious she saw the day before may have clicked after what went down on the 6th. & again... she has a military background, so she may know a thing or two about reconnaissance. 
    OnWis97 said:
    It feels like the term "reconnaissance" here has to be an assumption. Like "I saw them with Congressperson X and then they showed up the next day at the capital. You do the math."  But if that's the case, she should have phrased it closer to that and maybe suggested it may have been reconnaissance. Because, yeah, if she actually recognized it in the moment as reconnaissance, then she clearly dropped the ball.

It doesn't seem like she'd be lying about this. Then again, here GOP counterparts tell worse lies on a per-minute basis.

It's not going to come to anything, anyway, unless there's footage that can put someone there on both days.
    I imagine there's video footage that would corroborate her accusation if it's true. 
  • A Stop the Steal organizer has said that he had assistance from members of congress in planning and getting information. A tour by an elected member seems a stretch but by an elected member's staff? Totally possible. I could see a Matt Getts giving a tour, yuck it up, pointing out all the hideaway rooms, etc. This is bigger than what you think it is/was.

Weeks before a mob of President Trump’s supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, right-wing activist Ali Alexander told his followers he was planning something big for Jan. 6.

Alexander, who organized the “Stop the Steal” movement, said he hatched the plan — coinciding with Congress’s vote to certify the electoral college votes — alongside three GOP lawmakers: Reps. Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Mo Brooks (Ala.) and Paul A. Gosar (Ariz.), all hard-line Trump supporters.

“We four schemed up of putting maximum pressure on Congress while they were voting,” Alexander said in a since-deleted video on Periscope highlighted by the Project on Government Oversight, an investigative nonprofit. The plan, he said, was to “change the hearts and the minds of Republicans who were in that body, hearing our loud roar from outside.”

After riots inside the Capitol left five people dead — and Alexander and his group were banned from Twitter this week — those three GOP lawmakers are now under increasing scrutiny over their role in aiding the right-wing activist.

In a statement to The Washington Post, a spokesman for Biggs said the congressman had never been in contact with Alexander or other protesters and denied he had helped organize a rally on Jan. 6.

“Congressman Biggs is not aware of hearing of or meeting Mr. Alexander at any point — let alone working with him to organize some part of a planned protest,” the statement said.

Neither Brooks nor Gosar responded to requests for comment from The Washington Post. But in a lengthy, defiant statement on Wednesday, the Alabama lawmaker insisted he also bore no responsibility for the riot. Brooks added he would not have promoted any action that could undermine GOP efforts to block the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s electoral college victory.

“I take great offense at anyone who suggests I am so politically inexperienced as to want to torpedo my honest and accurate election system effort I spent months fighting on,” Brooks wrote.

Videos and posts on social media suggest links between all three Republicans and the right-wing activist.

Alexander, a felon who has also been identified in media reports as Ali Akbar, gained a large following by live-streaming monologues in which he professed his conservative views and support for Trump. Speaking to Politico Magazine in 2018, he called himself an “interpreter of energy for this period.”

In June 2019, Donald Trump Jr. retweeted Alexander’s false claim that Vice President-elect Kamala D. Harris is not an “American Black.” The following month, Alexander attended a “social media summit” at the White House, alongside a number of far-right figures who had accused companies of anti-conservative bias.

After Trump lost in November, the Daily Beast noted, Alexander positioned himself as a leading voice behind the movement to support the president’s challenge to the election results. He was labeled “a true patriot” by Gosar on Twitter, and on Dec. 19, the two both spoke at a “Stop the Steal” rally in Phoenix.

“We will not go quietly. We’ll shut down this country if we have to,” Alexander told the crowd, later leading them in a chant of “1776.”

Later on at the event, Alexander played a video message from Biggs, calling him a “friend” and “hero.” In the recording, Biggs said he wished he could have attended the event and vowed to challenge the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s electoral victory.

“When it comes to January 6, I will be right down there in the well of the House with my friend from Alabama representative Mo Brooks,” Biggs said in the recording. A tweet from Alexander, including the message from Biggs, was retweeted by Trump on Dec. 26.

A Biggs spokesperson told CNN that the congressman recorded the video following a request from Gosar’s staff.

By late December, Alexander said he was planning a protest outside the Capitol on Jan. 6. His event appears to be one of at least four competing rallies that had sought permits for that date. But far-right online forums indicated Trump supporters were preparing for more than just a rally — and Alexander, too, appeared to suggest protesters might do more than just wave signs.

If Democrats got in the way of an objection from congressional Republicans, “everyone can guess what me and 500,000 others will do to that building,” he wrote on Twitter in December, according to the Daily Beast. “1776 is *always* an option.”

At a rally the night before the vote, Alexander led the crowd in chanting, “Victory or death!” The following morning, Gosar tagged the activist in several tweets.

Recounting the riot in a video on Periscope over the weekend, Alexander said he wished people had not entered the U.S. Capitol or even gone on the steps. He also argued the rioters had not necessarily violated the law, even though dozens have now been charged by federal prosecutors.

In an email to The Post, Alexander said he had “remained peaceful” during the riots and claimed his earlier speeches “mentioned peace” and were being misrepresented.

“Conflating our legally, peaceful permitted events with the breach of the US Capitol building is defamatory and false,” he said. “People are being misled and then those same people are fomenting violence against me and my team.”

At around 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday — about two hours after rioters breached the Capitol — Alexander posted a video of himself overlooking the crowd outside the building, claiming the majority of protesters were peaceful and praising those who didn’t go inside.

But, he said in the video, “I don’t disavow this. I do not denounce this.”

Kim Bellware contributed to this report.

4.1k Comments
    Teo Armus is a reporter for The Washington Post's Morning Mix team. He previously covered race, immigration and identity issues for the 

Ali Alexander claims Reps. Biggs, Brooks, Gosar helped plan ‘Stop the Steal’ rally at Capitol - The Washington Post
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • cutz said:

I read this comment on that tweet and was trying to remember where I read it before...

Replying to
    **** GOP COUP **** How can anyone not see what the GOP is doing? 1. texas AG files to supreme court to toss votes 2. GOP state AGs and GOP congress members sign on. 3. GOP congress members vote to not certify Biden’s win. 4. GOP groups fund and transport rioters to DC! GOP COUP!

Ahhh I know!  Reminds me of the right talking about Soros funding buses for people to go to the protests.

If it has legs and they can prove it that would be something, if not then it's a strategy out of the others playbook.
    Be ready for four years of hypocrisy.  The right will be creating outrages out of nothing or using Biden's actions or comments to generate outrage over things that they were completely silent on when tRump did the same thing.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Be ready for four years of hypocrisy.  The right will be creating outrages out of nothing or using Biden's actions or comments to generate outrage over things that they were completely silent on when tRump did the same thing.
    They have no policy. They can’t win on policy. All they are capable of is personal destruction, vilification and faux outrage. I heard that bigger, cheaper, better health plan than Obamacare is two weeks away.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,432
    Be ready for four years of hypocrisy.  The right will be creating outrages out of nothing or using Biden's actions or comments to generate outrage over things that they were completely silent on when tRump did the same thing.
    It has already started. The new congresswoman from Georgia (Greene) has announced on Twitter that she plans to introduce articles of impeachment on Biden 1/21/21 for abuse of power. They must grow them pretty dumb in that area. 
    It has already started. The new congresswoman from Georgia (Greene) has announced on Twitter that she plans to introduce articles of impeachment on Biden 1/21/21 for abuse of power. They must grow them pretty dumb in that area. 
    yeah she is unbelievably stupid

shapiro got so owned on that he deleted it. hahaha snowflake. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Retired firefighter is getting charged for throwing a fire extinguisher at police officers last Wednesday. You couldn’t write this shit in Hollywood. 

• Retired firefighter is getting charged for throwing a fire extinguisher at police officers last Wednesday. You couldn’t write this shit in Hollywood. 

Is his name Wobby? Or Wobert?

Brilliantati©
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,768
    edited January 2021
    A moment of positivity so we can breathe again........

Falling down,...not staying down
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    Kat said:
    A moment of positivity so we can breathe again........

Awesome!  Kudos to these vets!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.