Capitol Hill Riots

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    MayDay10 said:
    Well, its extra disheartening because there are police officers and military members who would also enjoy bashing my brains in just because I don't love Donald Trump.  Law enforcement and military fits very nicely within the Trumper profile.  We have a really bog problem on our hands.  
    While you are correct that many military and veterans have bought into Trump, there a lot of us who haven't. My wife and I both served in the Navy, and we still have contact with many of the people we served with. Many of us have been speaking out against Trump and the people who back him.  
    thank you for your service, and thank you for speaking out.

my dad is a 75 year old vietnam vet who runs the banquet hall at the local vfw. most of the people that go there open carry and are big time trump supporters. my dad has been going to this vfw for 45 years. i talked to him last night and he said for the first time he feels uncomfortable going there. my dad is a moderate who has grown more progressive over the last 4 presidential elections.  i used to go there for the fish fry on fridays, but i cannot bring myself to support an establishment with open carrying trump sycophants.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,432
    MayDay10 said:
    Well, its extra disheartening because there are police officers and military members who would also enjoy bashing my brains in just because I don't love Donald Trump.  Law enforcement and military fits very nicely within the Trumper profile.  We have a really bog problem on our hands.  
    While you are correct that many military and veterans have bought into Trump, there a lot of us who haven't. My wife and I both served in the Navy, and we still have contact with many of the people we served with. Many of us have been speaking out against Trump and the people who back him.  
    thank you for your service, and thank you for speaking out.

my dad is a 75 year old vietnam vet who runs the banquet hall at the local vfw. most of the people that go there open carry and are big time trump supporters. my dad has been going to this vfw for 45 years. i talked to him last night and he said for the first time he feels uncomfortable going there. my dad is a moderate who has grown more progressive over the last 4 presidential elections.  i used to go there for the fish fry on fridays, but i cannot bring myself to support an establishment with open carrying trump sycophants.
    We have distanced ourselves from some friends in the last few years. We live on the Southern Illinois/Indiana border which is as red as a fire hydrant. As Trump's time in the White House has passed, I have seen friends and neighbors who I thought were pretty reasonable, buy into the lies and rhetoric. They have been so taken in by him that I don't know if they will ever admit they were wrong.  It is very disturbing and sad. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,283
    MayDay10 said:

sup shipmate. standing shoulder to shoulder.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    MayDay10 said:

sup shipmate. standing shoulder to shoulder.....
    Absolutely. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,187
    A very interesting read, but not surprising in the least. I'm sure this is behind a paywall so I am posting it below.

FBI report warned of ‘war’ at Capitol, contradicting claims there was no indication of looming violence

A day before rioters stormed Congress, an FBI office in Virginia issued an explicit internal warning that extremists were preparing to travel to Washington to commit violence and “war,” according to an internal document reviewed by The Washington Post that contradicts a senior official’s declaration the bureau had no intelligence indicating anyone at last week’s pro-Trump protest planned to do harm.

A situational information report approved for release the day before the U.S. Capitol riot painted a dire portrait of dangerous plans, including individuals sharing a map of the complex’s tunnels, and possible rally points for would-be conspirators to meet up in Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and South Carolina and head in groups to Washington.

“As of 5 January 2021, FBI Norfolk received information indicating calls for violence in response to ‘unlawful lockdowns’ to begin on 6 January 2021 in Washington. D.C.,” the document says. “An online thread discussed specific calls for violence to include stating ‘Be ready to fight. Congress needs to hear glass breaking, doors being kicked in, and blood from their BLM and Pantifa slave soldiers being spilled. Get violent. Stop calling this a march, or rally, or a protest. Go there ready for war. We get our President or we die. NOTHING else will achieve this goal.”

BLM is likely a reference to the Black Lives Matter movement for racial justice. Pantifa is a derogatory term for antifa, a far-left anti-fascist movement whose adherents sometimes engage in violent clashes with right-wing extremists.

Yet even with that information in hand, the report’s unidentified author expressed concern that the FBI might be encroaching on free speech rights.

The warning is the starkest evidence yet of the sizable intelligence failure that preceded the mayhem, which claimed the lives of five people, although one law enforcement official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to avoid disciplinary action, said the failure was not one of intelligence but of acting on the intelligence.

An FBI official familiar with the document said that within 45 minutes of learning about the alarming online conversation, the Norfolk FBI office wrote the report and shared it with others within the bureau. It was not immediately clear how many law enforcement agencies outside the FBI were told, but the information was briefed to FBI officials at the bureau’s Washington field office the day before the attack, this official said.

The official, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss ongoing investigations, added that the report was raw intelligence and that at the time it was written, the FBI did not know the identities of those making the online statements.

The FBI already faces tough questions about why it was not more attuned to what was being discussed in public Internet conversations in the days leading up to the attack, and why the bureau and other agencies seemed to do little to prepare for the possibility of mass violence.

The document notes that the information represents the view of the FBI’s Norfolk office, is not to be shared outside law enforcement circles, that it is not “finally evaluated intelligence,” and that agencies that receive it “are requested not to take action based on this raw reporting without prior coordination with the FBI.”

Multiple law enforcement officials have said privately in recent days that the level of violence exhibited at the Capitol has led to difficult discussions within the FBI and other agencies about race, terrorism, and whether investigators failed to register the degree of danger because the overwhelming majority of the participants at the rally were White conservatives fiercely loyal to the President Trump.

“Individuals/Organizations named in this [situational information report] have been identified as participating in activities that are protected by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution,” the document says. “Their inclusion here is not intended to associate the protected activity with criminality or a threat to national security, or to infer that such protected activity itself violates federal law.

“However,” it continues, “based on known intelligence and/or specific historical observations, it is possible the protected activity could invite a violent reaction towards the subject individual or others in retaliation or with the goal of stopping the protected activity from occurring in the first instance. In the event no violent reaction occurs, FBI policy and federal law dictates that no further record to be made of the protected activity.”

The document notes that one online comment advised, “if Antifa or BLM get violent, leave them dead in the street,” while another said they need “people on standby to provide supplies, including water and medical, to the front lines. The individual also discussed the need to evacuate noncombatants and wounded to medical care.”

On Jan. 6, a large, angry crowd of people who had attended a nearby rally marched to the Capitol, smashing windows and breaking down doors to get inside. One woman in the mob was shot and killed by a Capitol Police officer; officials said three others in the crowd died from medical emergencies. Another Capitol police officer died after suffering injuries.

On Friday, the head of the FBI’s Washington Field Office, Steven D’Antuono, told reporters “there was no indication” of anything planned for the day of Trump’s rally “other than First Amendment-protected activity.” D’Antuono added, “we worked diligently with our partners on this.”

The FBI said in a statement that its “standard practice is to not comment on specific intelligence products,” but added that FBI field offices “routinely share information with their local law enforcement partners to assist in protecting the communities they serve.”

The FBI did not detail specifically who saw the document before the mob attack on Congress or what, if anything, was done in response.

For weeks leading up to the event, FBI officials discounted any suggestion that the protest of pro-Trump supporters upset about the scheduled certification of Joe Biden’s election could be a security threat on a scale with racial justice protests last summer in the wake of George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody.

While the nation’s capital is one of the most heavily guarded cities on the planet, local and federal law enforcement agencies sought to take a low-key approach to last week’s event, publicly and privately expressing concerns that they did not want to repeat the ugly clashes between protesters and police last year.

Some law enforcement officials took the view that pro-Trump protesters are generally known for over-the-top rhetoric but not much violence, and therefore the event did not pose a particularly grave risk, according to people familiar with the security discussions leading up to Jan. 6.

Even so, there were warning signs, though none as stark as the one from the FBI’s Norfolk office.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,187
    Cont'd...

FBI agents had in the weeks before the Trump rally visited suspected extremists hoping to glean whether they had violent intentions, a person familiar with the matter said, though it was not immediately clear who was visited or if the FBI was specifically tracking anyone who would later be charged criminally. These visits were first reported Sunday by NBC News.

In addition, in the days leading up to the demonstration, some Capitol Hill staffers were told by supervisors to not come into work that day, if possible, because it seemed the danger level would be higher than a lot of prior protests, according to a person familiar with the warning. Capitol Police did not take the kind of extra precautions, such as frozen zones and hardened barriers, that are typically used in major events around the Capitol.

Now, the Justice Department and federal agents are scrambling to identify and arrest those responsible for last week’s violence, in part because there is already significant online discussion of new potential clashes Sunday and again on Jan. 20 when Biden will be inaugurated.

Federal agents remain in a state of high-alert in the days leading up to the inauguration as authorities brace for possible violence not just in Washington, but around the country, officials said.

The FBI recently issued a different memo saying that “armed protests” were being planned “at all 50 state capitols” and in D.C. in the days leading up to the inauguration, according to an official familiar with the matter, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive law enforcement matter.

The memo — first reported on by ABC News and later confirmed by The Washington Post — is a raw intelligence product, compiling information gathered by the bureau and several other government agencies, an official said. Some of it is unverified, and the threat is likely to differ significantly from place to place, the official said.

But the data it highlights to law enforcement are nonetheless troubling — including that there was information suggesting people might storm government offices, or stage an uprising were Trump to be removed from office, the official said.

In a statement, the FBI declined to comment specifically on the memo about state capitols but said: “Our efforts are focused on identifying, investigating, and disrupting individuals that are inciting violence and engaging in criminal activity. As we do in the normal course of business, we are gathering information to identify any potential threats and are sharing that information with our partners.

“The FBI respects the rights of individuals to peacefully exercise their First Amendment rights,” it continues. “Our focus is not on peaceful protesters, but on those threatening their safety and the safety of other citizens with violence and destruction of property.”

It's a hopeless situation...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    MayDay10 said:
    Of the half-dozen military veterans/active duty people I know, all are Trump supporters, and none have offered even the most tepid condemnation of the Capitol Riot. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    keep in mind that these are all anecdotal experiences, folks. 

(just don't want to see a widespread condemnation of our vets here because of a few personal experiences)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/amazon-removing-qanon-apparel-supporters-164038469.html

Amazon is removing QAnon apparel from its site after supporters of the conspiracy theory participated in the attack on the US Capitol

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited January 2021
    rgambs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Of the half-dozen military veterans/active duty people I know, all are Trump supporters, and none have offered even the most tepid condemnation of the Capitol Riot. 
    I am sorry to hear that, and I believe your experience isn't isolated. I can't answer for the veterans you know, but I know way more than a half dozen veterans I served with that find our current President and his followers a disgrace. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • mcgruff10 said:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/amazon-removing-qanon-apparel-supporters-164038469.html

Amazon is removing QAnon apparel from its site after supporters of the conspiracy theory participated in the attack on the US Capitol

Finally!

Now all the little reddit and Etsy stores can cash in!
    rgambs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I am sorry to hear that, and I believe your experience isn't isolated. I can't answer for them, but I know way more than a half dozen veterans I served with that find our current President and his followers a disgrace. 
    @JeBurkhardt Why is it that republicans seem to be more pro-military than the dems?  I mean the defense budget has been passed every year by congress.  I just don't quite get it.  
    mcgruff10 said:

Dang, I just got an Amazon card from my employer for filling out a health survey for our insurance. I better get my order in quick!
  • This was posted by a family member that was upset she couldn’t get on Parler. She refuses to even entertain the other side of a conversation. 
    She’s made up her mind and that’s that. 

There is no reasoning with people like this. I have to avoid politics when I’m around her. It sucks. 
    This was posted by a family member that was upset she couldn’t get on Parler. She refuses to even entertain the other side of a conversation. 

There is no reasoning with people like this. I have to avoid politics when I’m around her. It sucks. 
    she probably believes that "big tech" silencing her and like minded individuals is also refusing to hear their side of the conversation. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• This was posted by a family member that was upset she couldn’t get on Parler. She refuses to even entertain the other side of a conversation. 

she probably believes that "big tech" silencing her and like minded individuals is also refusing to hear their side of the conversation. 
    You got it!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    edited January 2021
    This was posted by a family member that was upset she couldn’t get on Parler. She refuses to even entertain the other side of a conversation. 

Everyone has jacked up family stories, unfortunately.
    I would legitimately avoid that person all of the time. 
    Good luck dealing with her looney perspectives!

Oh, yeah, bro, I forgot -- I have a $500 print, would you possibly trade me all of your jordan collection for it, when I get it?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Oh, yeah, bro, I forgot -- I have a $500 print, would you possibly trade me all of your jordan collection for it, when I get it?
    Now why didn't you harp on that tool box when you read that, lol?!?  I was being nice and he accosted me.  Accosted!!!!

As far as the family member, she is my blood and would do anything for me.  We just don't see things eye to eye politically...
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925

Is Parlay that new social media site where pirates get together and talk about a truce for their common agenda or something?
  • mace1229 said:

Is Parlay that new social media site where pirates get together and talk about a truce for their common agenda or something?
    Arrrgh.  You are a member too, ehhhh?  We talk about boo-tay ya land lubber!

Best pirate talk I can come up with...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551

Now why didn't you harp on that tool box when you read that, lol?!?  I was being nice and he accosted me.  Accosted!!!!

As far as the family member, she is my blood and would do anything for me.  We just don't see things eye to eye politically...

I saw it after the closure.  Just commented on his new thread where he claims to have sold it.

I call bs on that.  Good riddance, either way.  Not like we all don't know that 1/2 of those items (at least) go to flippers, just funny to see someone with the stones to openly post the flip here.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

I saw it after the closure.  Just commented on his new thread where he claims to have sold it.

I call bs on that.  Good riddance, either way.  Not like we all don't know that 1/2 of those items (at least) go to flippers, just funny to see someone with the stones to openly post the flip here.
    I was surprised that more people didn't jump his shit?

Read what you wrote, funny!  he said Snarky?  I like that word.  Snarky.
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I am sorry to hear that, and I believe your experience isn't isolated. I can't answer for them, but I know way more than a half dozen veterans I served with that find our current President and his followers a disgrace. 
    @JeBurkhardt Why is it that republicans seem to be more pro-military than the dems?  I mean the defense budget has been passed every year by congress.  I just don't quite get it.  
    I gave this some thought and honestly I don't really know. I think it is just optics. It is a talking point that they can use to prove how patriotic they are. The sense that if we have a strong military, we have a strong country. A co worker, who is a Republican, said the best thing Trump has done is "make the rest of the world afraid of us". Not respect, fear. They wave the flag and praise the military, but what do they really do for them? Military wages, at least for junior enlisted are low. Are they advocating for meaningful increases? Do they push for increased resources and funding for service members to help them after after suffering wounds and trauma from combat? Way too many men and women suffer from physical and psychological issues following their service. I ran a 5K this past year for awareness for veteran's suicide called 22 Too Many. 22 veterans a day take their own lives. There needs to be more people on both sides of the aisle insuring that the people who are asked to defend our country are taken care.      
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I gave this some thought and honestly I don't really know. I think it is just optics. It is a talking point that they can use to prove how patriotic they are. The sense that if we have a strong military, we have a strong country. A co worker, who is a Republican, said the best thing Trump has done is "make the rest of the world afraid of us". Not respect, fear. They wave the flag and praise the military, but what do they really do for them? Military wages, at least for junior enlisted are low. Are they advocating for meaningful increases? Do they push for increased resources and funding for service members to help them after after suffering wounds and trauma from combat? Way too many men and women suffer from physical and psychological issues following their service. I ran a 5K this past year for awareness for veteran's suicide called 22 Too Many. 22 veterans a day take their own lives. There needs to be more people on both sides of the aisle insuring that the people who are asked to defend our country are taken care.      
    republicans are the champions of the military. 
    democrats are the champions of mental health. 

these champions are from different leagues. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

@JeBurkhardt I really appreciate the response, thank you.  That question has always boggled my mind.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931

My brother and sister in law are just like that.

I argued with her when tRump passed his tax cuts.  Going back YEARS we have argued about Obama, deficits, GOP vs Dem, etc.  She railed on Obama forever about deficits.  Now that tRump has run up massive deficits she doesn't care.  I honestly thought we would have a discussion where she would admit to being wrong about deficits but she doubled down.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

I argued with her when tRump passed his tax cuts.  Going back YEARS we have argued about Obama, deficits, GOP vs Dem, etc.  She railed on Obama forever about deficits.  Now that tRump has run up massive deficits she doesn't care.  I honestly thought we would have a discussion where she would admit to being wrong about deficits but she doubled down.
    it's far past policy decisions. now it's "if my side does it, awesome, if your side does it, fuck you". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it's far past policy decisions. now it's "if my side does it, awesome, if your side does it, fuck you". 
    Thing is I don't have "a side".  If something is fucked up I'll tell you.  I'm not a party first type of person where someone like her is.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    cutz said:
    Jesus, I couldn't watch the entire video. This is extremely frightening.
This discussion has been closed.