So called 10C exclusive available at Target tomorrow

Comments

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    CPR7 said:
    Guys it's just stuff. 

"It's not the world that's heavy, it's just the things that you save..."
    I think that line was meant for more emotional baggage, instead of physical belongings.  But I digress.  Carry on. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,685
    edited November 2020
    Quality of the vinyl comes down to 2 things

1. How its cut (Source and the vinyl mastering engineer can make a huge difference)
    2. Where its pressed. Certain plants just do an OK job while others do a phenomenal job (Is the vinyl flat? quiet - meaning no pops skips or crackles)

Color doesn't really make a difference (certain split colors, or tri/quad color pinwheel can lead to issues because of how the biscuit needs to be assembled). So really it comes down to personal taste. 

Personally clear and coke bottle are my favorite single colors. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,799
    Get_Right said:
    I would guess the people complaining only want something exclusive rather than a new colored vinyl. 
    I want a well working fanclub.

How many eyeballs saw that newsletter etc before it went out?
    Fan club does work well. And probably a lot fewer eyes on that than you think.
    edited November 2020
    tdawe said:
    Get_Right said:
    or if you just want to pound your chest and say look what I got.
    That’s right...or, as I like to call it, “collecting vinyl.” 

If you think it’s stupid that’s fine, but it’s a hobby for a lot of people, including a lot of
    members of this fan club. 
    No collecting vinyl is cool. Not so much pounding your chest. If it is the vinyl you want, what difference does it make? You collect vinyl, you got vinyl and the chance to buy it here or in store. That sounds like win win.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    Quality of the vinyl comes down to 2 things

1. How its cut (Source and the vinyl mastering engineer can make a huge difference)
    2. Where its pressed. Certain plants just do an OK job while others do a phenomenal job (Is the vinyl flat? quiet - meaning no pops skips or crackles)

Color doesn't really make a difference (certain split colors, or tri/quad color pinwheel can lead to issues because of how the biscuit needs to be assembled). So really it comes down to personal taste. 

Personally clear and coke bottle are my favorite single colors. 
    I wish they would focus on your two points. Ten deserves an AAA release.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    why not have it in the uk shop seeing as target are selling it
    danny d
    edited November 2020
    Get_Right said:
    I would guess the people complaining only want something exclusive rather than a new colored vinyl.  I do agree that saying "exclusive" is misleading.  But who cares? Unless you are hoping it is limited and you want its value to go up or if you just want to pound your chest and say look what I got. Purple vinyl of a record we have heard a zillion times. 
    No the bigger issue is if we had known the truth, we could have gotten it for at least $11 cheaper from Target and used it was part of their Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale right now.  
    Yes, it would bother me that I spent an extra $11 to buy from the 10C rather than Target. It would bother me for about 5 minutes.
    Agreed. 

Have Chris Bellman cut the catalog from the original tapes/Hi-Res files, press at RTI or QRP on 180g. Call them the audiophile edition.

• tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Get_Right said:
    tdawe said:
    Get_Right said:

If you think it’s stupid that’s fine, but it’s a hobby for a lot of people, including a lot of
    No collecting vinyl is cool. Not so much pounding your chest. If it is the vinyl you want, what difference does it make? You collect vinyl, you got vinyl and the chance to buy it here or in store. That sounds like win win.
    My point is that the difference between “pounding your chest” and whatever you think the cool version of collecting is is in the eye of the beholder. Vinyl junkies have been known to lose their shit over much smaller things than this, but words like “exclusive” mean quite a lot and using them properly is pretty much the least we can ask of this club. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,131
    edited November 2020
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    I would guess the people complaining only want something exclusive rather than a new colored vinyl. 

Then, there you have a problem.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Bissy77Bissy77 Posts: 447
    How is the pre order sold out at Target?  ha....should it stay open?
    MLPS: 6-30-98 ; East Troy: 10-8-00 ; St. Paul: 6-16-03 ; East Troy: 6-21-03 ; Camden: 7-5-03 ; Grand Rapids: 10-3-04 ; Thunder Bay: 9-9-05 ; East Rutherford: 6-1-06; East Rutherford: 6-3-06 ; St. Paul: 6-26-06 ; St. Paul: 6-27-06, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, EV MLPS 7-2-11, PJ20 Alpine Valley 9-3-11, PJ20 Alpine Valley 9-4-11; Wrigley 7-19-13, St Paul 10-19-14; Wrigley 8-22-16; Seattle 8-8-18, Seattle 8-10-18; EV NY 2-4-22
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

You are right about that, but it is nothing new.10C has been imperfect for a long time.
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

You are right about that, but it is nothing new.10C has been imperfect for a long time.
    True, but one of the things it is good at is selling members-only exclusive vinyl (I’m not talking about the singles; I mean the Vault series which is a model for how these sorts of things should be offered).
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
    tdawe said:
    Get_Right said:
    tdawe said:
    Get_Right said:

My point is that the difference between “pounding your chest” and whatever you think the cool version of collecting is is in the eye of the beholder. Vinyl junkies have been known to lose their shit over much smaller things than this, but words like “exclusive” mean quite a lot and using them properly is pretty much the least we can ask of this club. 
    I get it, we all want the holy grail. It is limited and you were able to buy it for $18.  Whats the problem? It is not like saying exclusive would turn a purple Ten into Benaroya.
  • Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

One persons "imperfect" is another mans "not well working"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    How many different colors of Ten does a person need?  It just continues to be money grab anymore. I’m glad I didn’t buy this.  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,251
    pjl44 said:
    I think it would have been better for them to word it something like "We've partnered with Target on a limited edition purple pressing of Ten and we'll be selling a limited allotment exclusively to Ten Club members." They've done that with RSD releases and the like.
    It’s really this simple. It was worded very poorly by 10c. 

Not that I care as I own Ten in about 8 different versions already. I definitely don’t need another fucking version just because it’s purple. Why not repress something that hasn’t been readily available?  Benaroya, live on 2 legs, rearviewmirror...
    Why Ten again?!?  
    edited November 2020
    Eh, many collectors enjoy collecting variants. They like having every pressing or all the colored pressings. Its a thing. Just like anything else. 

Its well established in PJ circles that people like having a collection. For most people, yeah, you only need one copy.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,320
    This shit just feeds the flippers. 
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I am good with it working 90% of the time.  It is a $20 fan club, not a bank.
    pjl44 said:
    I think it would have been better for them to word it something like "We've partnered with Target on a limited edition purple pressing of Ten and we'll be selling a limited allotment exclusively to Ten Club members." They've done that with RSD releases and the like.
    It’s really this simple. It was worded very poorly by 10c. 

Not that I care as I own Ten in about 8 different versions already. I definitely don’t need another fucking version just because it’s purple. Why not repress something that hasn’t been readily available?  Benaroya, live on 2 legs, rearviewmirror...
    Why Ten again?!?  
    ^^^^^^ This.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    Because we are the only ones that will buy anything not Ten. No one at target would by Binaural.
  • Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I am good with it working 90% of the time.  It is a $20 fan club, not a bank.
    I am good with shit that shouldn't even be a problem working, working. 
  • CPR7CPR7 Posts: 366
    Vedd Hedd said:
    CPR7 said:
    Guys it's just stuff. 

"It's not the world that's heavy, it's just the things that you save..."
    I think that line was meant for more emotional baggage, instead of physical belongings.  But I digress.  Carry on. 
    Could go both ways. Art is up to individual interpretation. I can relate to it both ways. But I digress. Carry on. 
  • If anyone wants to sell their 10C copy +plus additional shipping costs+ media mail shipping to me because they got the Target version, I am willing to buy your 10c copy. 
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    For those still in defense of 10C  (Where ya at by the way?)

Like a jaded little baby, I still will not let this go :)  They did this with the PJ20 release.  Sold through 10C with it's high AF shipping, they listed an "Exclusive Content" PJ20 Limited Edition Blu Ray for 59.99.  I of course purchased, because I am a sheep and what they were advertising was just too sexy. 

A few months later or so, they released the EXACT SAME blu ray, same content, but different packaging for $20 less. I repeat.. SAME CONTENT, $20 less.  This isn't fake news. This isn't opinion.  This happened. So if you're still defending 10C, ask yourself... is that right?  And what exactly does "Exclusive" mean to 10C?   Do they understand what it actually means?  If not, are they kind of praying on sheep like me who will buy because I love the band and want the exclusive content? Now you can blame me all you want for being stupid, and you would be correct.  But what does stuff like this say about 10C as well?  You can judge me for being dumb, but you have to judge 10C for being shady as well. 

Regarding this vinyl release... beyond the minutia of their wording... you have to ask why they wanted first dibs here.  Why didn't they say in their email that this would be available at Target?  If their reasoning was that they simply wanted 10C members to get the first shot before the general public, that's cool... but SAY that. Don'y muddy the waters with this exclusive crap. 

Look at Record Store Day.  They differentiate between what is exclusive to RSD and what is "First Release."  They do that for a reason, and that reason is helpful for the fans and consumers. It does nothing for them at all, just the consumers. It's good, helpful information. Perhaps they do that because they know that if a consumer THINKS they can only get an item on RSD, they wait in line, they drive a great distance.... only to learn that days or weeks later they can get it online.  That would piss people off. And they (RSD) seem to know that. So they share information and help.  10C, perhaps take note? 

Also... for those about to chirp me... I'm not complaining about the Home Depot here.  We pay for a membership to 10C. A membership that yes, I can cancel.  Does 10C want to lose the... albeit small... revenue I give them just for being a member? Hopefully they improve. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    Jesus fucking Christ people.  Nowhere - N-O-W-H-E-R-E did it say it was a "Ten Club Exclusive."  It said Ten Club Members Only exclusive.  Meaning you had to be logged in to your Ten Club membership to buy it here.  You couldn't be just a general public person without a 10C membership.  You know, how show posters are sold, Vault vinyl records are sold, etc.  You know how you have to be a Ten Club member to buy that stuff?  That's what they meant here.  It's the same record that will be sold at Target, same color.  Ten Club got an allotment of the Target vinyl, they sold it here to MEMBERS ONLY, and the general public can get theirs at Target.  Nothing was worded vaguely or incorrectly.  It literally means what it says.  Good grief some of you people need to go back to first grade reading class.
    Nailed it. It's definitely vague and arguably incorrect, but the level of outrage and number of posts devoted to the subject is mind-boggling. Mistakes happen. Could the wording have been improved? Yes. Were they intentionally trying to trick you? Of course not. If they were, they wouldn't have used a picture with a massive Target sticker. 
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    SHZA said:
    Jesus fucking Christ people.  Nowhere - N-O-W-H-E-R-E did it say it was a "Ten Club Exclusive."  It said Ten Club Members Only exclusive.  Meaning you had to be logged in to your Ten Club membership to buy it here.  You couldn't be just a general public person without a 10C membership.  You know, how show posters are sold, Vault vinyl records are sold, etc.  You know how you have to be a Ten Club member to buy that stuff?  That's what they meant here.  It's the same record that will be sold at Target, same color.  Ten Club got an allotment of the Target vinyl, they sold it here to MEMBERS ONLY, and the general public can get theirs at Target.  Nothing was worded vaguely or incorrectly.  It literally means what it says.  Good grief some of you people need to go back to first grade reading class.
    Nailed it. It's definitely vague and arguably incorrect, but the level of outrage and number of posts devoted to the subject is mind-boggling. Mistakes happen. Could the wording have been improved? Yes. Were they intentionally trying to trick you? Of course not. If they were, they wouldn't have used a picture with a massive Target sticker. 

Not trying to harass you or anything, I agree with some of what you and Dyer is saying.  But before this fiasco, I didn't have the slightest clue what a Target sticker looked like and I can't be the only member who didn't.  
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,943
    Parksy said:
    SHZA said:

Not trying to harass you or anything, I agree with some of what you and Dyer is saying.  But before this fiasco, I didn't have the slightest clue what a Target sticker looked like and I can't be the only member who didn't.  
    I think the ten club acknowledging in emails to people that the wording was misleading confirms you are correct. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Parksy said:
    SHZA said:

I've been collecting records for about 25 years.  I occasionally shop at Target.  I didn't even know Target carried records.  

I don't want to debate the semantics of the email or item.  Exclusive is pretty clear, and almost all records have stickers.  
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020