Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    The Lincoln Project tiki torch demonstration in Charlottesville is simply street theater which is an effective way to bring attention to an issue.  It was used very effectively during the Vietnam war to help bring an end to that atrocity.  I'm surprised to see so many left-leaning folks here denounce that demonstration.  To me it kind of reflects a weakness that is pervasive in the left.  It's no wonder the hard right is taking over. 
    only because in today's day, it gives the right fodder for the whole "Jan 6 was antifa disguised as MAGA". 

Except that there is a ton of information showing that Trump was hugely influential in making January 6 happen (see last night's Heather Cox Richards letter in Mickeyrat's thread) and the Lincoln Party claimed responsibility for their demonstration.  I have to stand by my words above and I'm not at all opposed to street theater.  The left needs to start taking some lessons from their own past and toughen up and we are going to be beaten down by an angry and aggressive far right.  History will bear me out on this. It's damn scary.
    I get it. i honestly don't care what they did either way. I'm just saying sometimes it takes more effort to fight back false claims than it is to stage something like that in the first place. 
    True.
    brianlux said:
    The Lincoln Project tiki torch demonstration in Charlottesville is simply street theater which is an effective way to bring attention to an issue.  It was used very effectively during the Vietnam war to help bring an end to that atrocity.  I'm surprised to see so many left-leaning folks here denounce that demonstration.  To me it kind of reflects a weakness that is pervasive in the left.  It's no wonder the hard right is taking over. 
    This is the correct take, folks. 
    agreed....everyone knew they were fake right?

I hope so but reading some news sources and certain forums, you would think not.  I'm really puzzled about that.  It's so obvious they were parodying, not actually supporting racists!
    but that's the problem. right wing twitter reports that the lincoln project ("the left" LOL) are the real racists and they fucking believe it. and gives credence to the false flag narrative they all lap up constantly. there's really no winning in scenarios like these. 
    To take this further, we have had a few anti Semitic incidents here in Austin recently.  The right wing media is blaming liberals, Critical race Theory and basically saying that the left are the true propagators of racism and that CRT is a tool to make people more racist etc...So LP pulling something like this definitely gives some legitimacy to that claim in the eyes of the right.
    They're afraid of CRT because it exposes and teaches the truth about slavery and racism. But also because they think it's going to make school children racist towards white people. And they're afraid of the demise of white people in America which is happening anyway.
    😂😂 what is “the demise of white people”? What does that even mean?
    Tucker Carlson and his "replacement" theory. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    only because in today's day, it gives the right fodder for the whole "Jan 6 was antifa disguised as MAGA". 

Except that there is a ton of information showing that Trump was hugely influential in making January 6 happen (see last night's Heather Cox Richards letter in Mickeyrat's thread) and the Lincoln Party claimed responsibility for their demonstration.  I have to stand by my words above and I'm not at all opposed to street theater.  The left needs to start taking some lessons from their own past and toughen up and we are going to be beaten down by an angry and aggressive far right.  History will bear me out on this. It's damn scary.
    I get it. i honestly don't care what they did either way. I'm just saying sometimes it takes more effort to fight back false claims than it is to stage something like that in the first place. 
    True.
    brianlux said:

I hope so but reading some news sources and certain forums, you would think not.  I'm really puzzled about that.  It's so obvious they were parodying, not actually supporting racists!
    but that's the problem. right wing twitter reports that the lincoln project ("the left" LOL) are the real racists and they fucking believe it. and gives credence to the false flag narrative they all lap up constantly. there's really no winning in scenarios like these. 
    To take this further, we have had a few anti Semitic incidents here in Austin recently.  The right wing media is blaming liberals, Critical race Theory and basically saying that the left are the true propagators of racism and that CRT is a tool to make people more racist etc...So LP pulling something like this definitely gives some legitimacy to that claim in the eyes of the right.
    They're afraid of CRT because it exposes and teaches the truth about slavery and racism. But also because they think it's going to make school children racist towards white people. And they're afraid of the demise of white people in America which is happening anyway.
    That term's been around long before Tucker started using it to scare his viewers. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

True.
    brianlux said:

That term's been around long before Tucker started using it to scare his viewers. 
    Right but he took it out from under the rock... he's as bad as Trump. In fact,  worse. He's more of a thought leader.  This stuff his from him,  to the audience,  to Trump. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,931
    The clips of joe Biden falling asleep at the climate summit are hilarious. Sometimes people take things too serious. If you can’t chuckle at that then …..I don’t know. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    I said all throughout that the dude was too old to be president. 
    The problem is that the only alternative to a super old retread was also a super old retread...one who lied from his position more than 10x per day and pretty much hates everyone except his daughter, with whom he has a sick fascination. 
    So, I had to pick old Joe over old Don. 

It is sad, not funny, that we pick people who are a few steps from the grave for our toughest job. 
    "What you reap, is what you sow."
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Dan Rather wrote a piece about the whole "Let's Go Brandon" movement going on.
    Thought I would share.
    https://steady.substack.com/p/a-party-embraces-vulgarity
  • Options
    The problem is that the only alternative to a super old retread was also a super old retread...one who lied from his position more than 10x per day and pretty much hates everyone except his daughter, with whom he has a sick fascination. 

It is sad, not funny, that we pick people who are a few steps from the grave for our toughest job. 
    -In fairness to Joe, I'd fall asleep during a climate summit too. 

-It's more than a "sick fascination." He totally wants to bang his daughter. 

-It's sad...but it's also the system that's sad. Any system where, out of 300 Million people, we're left with Joe Biden and Donald Trump (each in their late 70s) to vote for, is a broken-ass system. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

Agreed. I do still find the clip funny though. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227

Maybe some of the younger candidates like Pete or Amy would have had more energy but that's not who "folks" typically vote for. Had either been the nominee we'd be enjoying trumps second term right about now. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    nicknyr15 said:
    The clips of joe Biden falling asleep at the climate summit are hilarious. Sometimes people take things too serious. If you can’t chuckle at that then …..I don’t know. 
    falling asleep? maybe. the way he rubbed his eyes after to me told me he just had dry eyes. it's not like his head was drooping or there was anything else suggesting he was falling asleep. but who knows. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    Dan Rather wrote a piece about the whole "Let's Go Brandon" movement going on.
    Thought I would share.
    https://steady.substack.com/p/a-party-embraces-vulgarity

If by his ending he means to turn the obscenity toward America?
    I agree with Rather.

"This is Donald Trump allowing the basest of human instincts to triumph over reason. It is a party that marches, in almost lockstep, under a banner of misplaced victimhood, of vilifying those who are different, of denying the truth, and having the chutzpah - fueled by privilege - to announce a hateful ignorance to the world with raw vulgarity, or the meekest fig leaf of innuendo. Let’s go Brandon? How about let’s go America?"

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,227
    edited November 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    Try 74 million+ token Trump fans. But I hardly don't they still listen to their high school band. Or never even heard of Pearl Jam. Log into your Jason Aldean account you have. You'd be the token flaming lib. 

FJB
    Can you try this again in a cogent manner? 
    I'll  do it for him...it was a rigged election and all patriotic Americans know that. We love Travis tritt and you're a snowflake.

#FTFG
    And....

Let's Go, Brandon

Someone should open a thread with that title and see how long it lasts

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    nicknyr15 said:
    falling asleep? maybe. the way he rubbed his eyes after to me told me he just had dry eyes. it's not like his head was drooping or there was anything else suggesting he was falling asleep. but who knows. 
    Ok. Dozing off? Resting his eyes?
    https://youtu.be/RnCT2QI8Y9g

Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Ok. Dozing off? Is that better? 
    no, I wasn't arguing semantics. It just looks to me like he's resting his eyes, not dozing or falling asleep. But again, I could be wrong. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    no, I wasn't arguing semantics. It just looks to me like he's resting his eyes, not dozing or falling asleep. But again, I could be wrong. 
    Whatever he’s doing, wasn’t a good look. I don’t take this shit seriously so it was just funny to me. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Whatever he’s doing, wasn’t a good look. I don’t take this shit seriously so it was just funny to me. 
    I hear ya on both statements. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    nicknyr15 said:
    Anyone can be forgiven for a snooze after an international flight across the atlantic and going straight to work...been there been disoriented as hell.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    but to nicknyr's point, anyone else remember a time when something like this would just be laughed at on late night tv and not used as a weapon against his fitness to lead? (and we did stuff like this against trump as well)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    but to nicknyr's point, anyone else remember a time when something like this would just be laughed at on late night tv and not used as a weapon against his fitness to lead? (and we did stuff like this against trump as well)
    Bush puking on the Japanese PM?
  • Options
    hahaha what???
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Bill painting the map of Hawaii on Monica's dress?

No, wait, never mind -- half of the people would applaud that these days.  [Perhaps only if Bill would have discussed while on an Access Hollywood bus.]
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,947

Maybe some of the younger candidates like Pete or Amy would have had more energy but that's not who "folks" typically vote for. Had either been the nominee we'd be enjoying trumps second term right about now. 

I don't know... several were relatively young (under 50):

The Top Ten: Youngest U.S. Presidents

RankPresidentYearsDays
    1.Theodore Roosevelt42322
    2.John F. Kennedy43236
    3.Bill Clinton46154
    4.Ulysses S. Grant46236
    5.Barack Obama47169
    6.Grover Cleveland47351
    7.Franklin Pierce48101
    8.James Garfield49105
    9.James K. Polk49122
    https://www.infoplease.com/us/government/executive-branch/the-top-ten-youngest-us-presidents

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hahaha what???
    He ate some bad broccoli
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Also, regarding Biden being "too old", "sleepy", and all that, remember- Biden got in to the race because like many of us, he was hugely concerned about the possibility of a second Trump term.  I don't think he was exactly thrilled to be running for president, but he knew he had as good or better chance than anyone at beating Trump, and, of course, he did.  I'll bet anything he would have been just as happy having another strong Democrat contender beat Trump and just be able to enjoy his retirement.  I can't even imagine keeping President Biden's busy schedule and he's got 8, almost 9 years on me.  I wish people would cut him some slack, and give due respect.  The alternative to his presidency would, frankly, be fucked up!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    brianlux said:
    Also, regarding Biden being "too old", "sleepy", and all that, remember- Biden got in to the race because like many of us, he was hugely concerned about the possibility of a second Trump term.  I don't think he was exactly thrilled to be running for president, but he knew he had as good or better chance than anyone at beating Trump, and, of course, he did.  I'll bet anything he would have been just as happy having another strong Democrat contender beat Trump and just be able to enjoy his retirement.  I can't even imagine keeping President Biden's busy schedule and he's got 8, almost 9 years on me.  I wish people would cut him some slack, and give due respect.  The alternative to his presidency would, frankly, be fucked up!
    Agreed... He's doing just fine and has put competent people in position instead of fucking idiots 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    brianlux said:
    Agreed... He's doing just fine and has put competent people in position instead of fucking idiots 
    Don't  forget the last regime was run by white supremacists who brought in all those fucking idiots
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I voted for him and respect what he is trying to do.
    Doesn't mean I changed my opinions on electing old people for what is one of the most challenging jobs I can imagine having to do.  

Very thankful he beat out the disaster known as Donald Trump.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    brianlux said:
    Doesn't mean I changed my opinions on electing old people for what is one of the most challenging jobs I can imagine having to do.  

I see your point and yes, I would like to see a younger, more energetic president as well, but we really didn't have another choice.  It always seems that way though, the lesser of two evils thing.   Only this time it was old and no longer at the top of his game vs totally screwed.  Easy decision!
    So because of the way the situation unfolded and because we have who we have, I think the least we can do is be supportive of our current president. 
    And looking at the future, Democrats need to get their shit together.  I have to be honest and say I'm just about ready to bail and go with the Lincoln Project folks.  I'd rather stay Democratic, but our party is starting to look like the people in the church I grew up in who have often been referred to as "the frozen chosen."  Screw that, I want some real progression in the the progressive movement.  I'm sick and tires of wishy-washy.   
    So what to do?  Anymore, I almost feel clueless.  Where to turn, what to do.  Just say "shove it" to the whole mess?  I wish (but I won't).
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    edited November 2021
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I see your point and yes, I would like to see a younger, more energetic president as well, but we really didn't have another choice.  It always seems that way though, the lesser of two evils thing.   Only this time it was old and no longer at the top of his game vs totally screwed.  Easy decision!
    So because of the way the situation unfolded and because we have who we have, I think the least we can do is be supportive of our current president. 
    And looking at the future, Democrats need to get their shit together.  I have to be honest and say I'm just about ready to bail and go with the Lincoln Project folks.  I'd rather stay Democratic, but our party is starting to look like the people in the church I grew up in who have often been referred to as "the frozen chosen."  Screw that, I want some real progression in the the progressive movement.  I'm sick and tires of wishy-washy.   
    So what to do?  Anymore, I almost feel clueless.  Where to turn, what to do.  Just say "shove it" to the whole mess?  I wish (but I won't).
    Going full on Lincoln Project isn't going to get you anything but regression.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The democrats just keep squandering all of their opportunities. The republicans always seem to have the longest view in the room as far as remaining in power, while the democrats just try to get everything at once and then bitch and complain when that doesn't work (shocker) and then lose the majority for another decade to the party who's more focused. 

Look at abortion. That's been a rallying cry for republicans for DECADES and we may now be on the brink of Roe being overturned. YET the majority of the country is pro choice. Imagine if democrats had that kind of resolve. Imagine if they even mentioned the issue in 2016. You likely wouldn't have had Trump become president and there'd be a solid majority of democrats on the supreme court right now.
    chinese-happy.jpg