#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,642
    It is making sense to me now.  You all are operating like his decline is new news.  

Others saw it coming a long time ago.    

It makes sense why it doesn’t bother those who didn’t see this coming.  Glad this is cleared up for me because it made little sense to me that nobody is curious how it got to this point where the party had to push him out.

“Seeing it coming” is not seeing it.

”seeing it coming” is projection based on bias.
    I hate confirmation bias. How many other times did they see it coming that they were wrong? Probably 9 out of 10.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    The thing is we were seeing it. Accepting it is what proved difficult for many.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    edited July 23
    shecky said:

Opinion: Bouncing Biden for Harris is a bad look for Democrats and a betrayal of voters.

By Scott Jennings
    July 22, 2024 10:50 AM PT

Three weeks. That’s all it took to overthrow a president.

Joe Biden’s weekend announcement that he would not accept his party’s nomination for another term followed what will go down in history as the single worst presidential debate performance ever.

Bad enough, in this case, to knock Biden out of a race he had already won — the Democratic primary.

Imagine the Lakers beating the Celtics at Crypto.com Arena, only to do something so bad in the locker room afterward that the NBA said: “Guys, we are awarding the Celtics the win because of just how poorly you behaved. ”

The debate was a miscalculation of epic proportions. Biden’s campaign — trailing at the time but close enough to come back and win — asked for it. They scheduled it. They bragged about it.

Trump said yes and let Biden make all the rules. Many in the media crowed that Biden had bested Trump in setting the contours and the expectations.

And then Biden fell on his face.

What followed has been truly stunning. Three weeks of Democrats melting down, Biden defiantly telling them to pound sand and then finally the president bending the knee in a mysterious letter posted during a weekend bout with COVID.

It was plumb weird that the White House didn’t release a photo of Biden this weekend signing the letter or meeting with his political advisors. For the most powerful person in the world to announce an Earth-shattering decision via social media without really giving a reason (reread his letter — you won’t find one in there) just adds to the humiliation for a man who had once said that only the Lord Almighty could drive him from the race.

If he’s dropping out for health reasons, Americans need to know that right now. Because it does call into question his fitness to lead the country presently.

Perhaps the Lord Almighty for Democrats is House Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi, who, working with former President Obama and other party leaders, not to mention George Clooney and party donors, mounted the pressure campaign to remove Biden from the race.

Thou shalt have no other speakers before me, I reckon. Read this passage from Politico’s reporting about what happened this weekend:

“ ‘Nancy made clear that they could do this the easy way or the hard way,’ said one Democrat familiar with private conversations who was granted anonymity to speak candidly. ‘She gave them three weeks of the easy way. It was about to be the hard way.’ ”

What was the “hard way,” exactly? Apparently, going public with her advice. Why not invoking the 25th Amendment?

President “Democracy Is on the Ballot” Biden found his end in the most undemocratic way possible — not at the hands of voters, but rather of the political elites.

I was wrong when I predicted that Biden would hang on. I guess I shouldn’t have taken Democrats literally when they said we always must respect the outcome of elections. When you hear that demand this fall, be sure to read the fine print: not applicable to Democratic primaries or when Nancy Pelosi says so.

I was right, though, that the Democrats would turn to Vice President Kamala Harris as Biden’s replacement. Though Harris piously proclaims she wants to “earn” the nomination, anyone can see that the fix is in.

Biden was taken out in an undemocratic way, and Harris will be installed through a rigged process. Inspiring.

For Donald Trump’s part, he simply needs to transfer the arguments he was making against Biden to Harris. She is, after all, just as responsible for Biden’s failures as he is and carries an approval rating in the high 30s, same as the president.

Specifically, I expect the Republicans to laser focus the immigration crisis as the most pronounced of Harris’ failings. Biden appointed her his de facto border czar in 2021, and the situation has only gotten worse since.

Trump was already arguing that a vote for Biden was actually a vote for Harris, as nobody expected Biden to complete a second term. Trump was proven right, albeit on an accelerated timeline.

Democrats are using the talking point that Trump is now the oldest presidential candidate in American history. But they are missing the point — Biden’s numeric age was never the problem. It was his rapid decline and the signs of a cover-up that had Republicans — and most Americans — exercised about Biden’s fitness for office.

Republican Nikki Haley, who lost to Trump in the GOP primary but endorsed him at last week’s Republican Party convention, said in January, “The first party to retire its 80-year-old candidate is going to be the one who wins this election.”

Now the 2024 election will test her theory. Harris, who is 59, will be portrayed in the media as young and vigorous; Trump, old and past tense.

Trump starts ahead of Harris in the national polls. But for the next three weeks, it’s likely that Harris will receive glowing profile after profile, followed by a coronation at the Democratic National Convention.

Trump must step up the pressure and invade her political space as much as possible during this time, proving his own vigor while defining his new opponent as more extreme and incompetent than his former one. His campaign, I have no doubt, is ready to unleash just such an attack.

The question is: Will Americans hold Biden’s record against Harris? Or is simply putting a younger face on a failed administration enough to give it a second chance?

Scott Jennings is a contributing writer to Opinion, a former special assistant to President George W. Bush and a senior CNN political commentator.

Opinion: Republican opinions about Democratic governance continue to be self-serving and not genuine, should be ignored

benjs is a contributing writer to A Moving Train, a formerly hopeful human and lead dog poo picker-upper for an eight pound Maltese named Tony. He's not unbiased but also doesn't lie to sell an agenda to an unwitting public that have collectively hit the 'off' switch on their brains so as not to offend the Leader by thinking
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,299
    benjs said:
    shecky said:

Opinion: Bouncing Biden for Harris is a bad look for Democrats and a betrayal of voters.

By Scott Jennings
    July 22, 2024 10:50 AM PT

Three weeks. That’s all it took to overthrow a president.

Joe Biden’s weekend announcement that he would not accept his party’s nomination for another term followed what will go down in history as the single worst presidential debate performance ever.

Bad enough, in this case, to knock Biden out of a race he had already won — the Democratic primary.

Imagine the Lakers beating the Celtics at Crypto.com Arena, only to do something so bad in the locker room afterward that the NBA said: “Guys, we are awarding the Celtics the win because of just how poorly you behaved. ”

The debate was a miscalculation of epic proportions. Biden’s campaign — trailing at the time but close enough to come back and win — asked for it. They scheduled it. They bragged about it.

Trump said yes and let Biden make all the rules. Many in the media crowed that Biden had bested Trump in setting the contours and the expectations.

And then Biden fell on his face.

What followed has been truly stunning. Three weeks of Democrats melting down, Biden defiantly telling them to pound sand and then finally the president bending the knee in a mysterious letter posted during a weekend bout with COVID.

It was plumb weird that the White House didn’t release a photo of Biden this weekend signing the letter or meeting with his political advisors. For the most powerful person in the world to announce an Earth-shattering decision via social media without really giving a reason (reread his letter — you won’t find one in there) just adds to the humiliation for a man who had once said that only the Lord Almighty could drive him from the race.

If he’s dropping out for health reasons, Americans need to know that right now. Because it does call into question his fitness to lead the country presently.

Perhaps the Lord Almighty for Democrats is House Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi, who, working with former President Obama and other party leaders, not to mention George Clooney and party donors, mounted the pressure campaign to remove Biden from the race.

Thou shalt have no other speakers before me, I reckon. Read this passage from Politico’s reporting about what happened this weekend:

“ ‘Nancy made clear that they could do this the easy way or the hard way,’ said one Democrat familiar with private conversations who was granted anonymity to speak candidly. ‘She gave them three weeks of the easy way. It was about to be the hard way.’ ”

What was the “hard way,” exactly? Apparently, going public with her advice. Why not invoking the 25th Amendment?

President “Democracy Is on the Ballot” Biden found his end in the most undemocratic way possible — not at the hands of voters, but rather of the political elites.

I was wrong when I predicted that Biden would hang on. I guess I shouldn’t have taken Democrats literally when they said we always must respect the outcome of elections. When you hear that demand this fall, be sure to read the fine print: not applicable to Democratic primaries or when Nancy Pelosi says so.

I was right, though, that the Democrats would turn to Vice President Kamala Harris as Biden’s replacement. Though Harris piously proclaims she wants to “earn” the nomination, anyone can see that the fix is in.

Biden was taken out in an undemocratic way, and Harris will be installed through a rigged process. Inspiring.

For Donald Trump’s part, he simply needs to transfer the arguments he was making against Biden to Harris. She is, after all, just as responsible for Biden’s failures as he is and carries an approval rating in the high 30s, same as the president.

Specifically, I expect the Republicans to laser focus the immigration crisis as the most pronounced of Harris’ failings. Biden appointed her his de facto border czar in 2021, and the situation has only gotten worse since.

Trump was already arguing that a vote for Biden was actually a vote for Harris, as nobody expected Biden to complete a second term. Trump was proven right, albeit on an accelerated timeline.

Democrats are using the talking point that Trump is now the oldest presidential candidate in American history. But they are missing the point — Biden’s numeric age was never the problem. It was his rapid decline and the signs of a cover-up that had Republicans — and most Americans — exercised about Biden’s fitness for office.

Republican Nikki Haley, who lost to Trump in the GOP primary but endorsed him at last week’s Republican Party convention, said in January, “The first party to retire its 80-year-old candidate is going to be the one who wins this election.”

Now the 2024 election will test her theory. Harris, who is 59, will be portrayed in the media as young and vigorous; Trump, old and past tense.

Trump starts ahead of Harris in the national polls. But for the next three weeks, it’s likely that Harris will receive glowing profile after profile, followed by a coronation at the Democratic National Convention.

Trump must step up the pressure and invade her political space as much as possible during this time, proving his own vigor while defining his new opponent as more extreme and incompetent than his former one. His campaign, I have no doubt, is ready to unleash just such an attack.

The question is: Will Americans hold Biden’s record against Harris? Or is simply putting a younger face on a failed administration enough to give it a second chance?

Scott Jennings is a contributing writer to Opinion, a former special assistant to President George W. Bush and a senior CNN political commentator.

Opinion: Republican opinions about Democratic governance continue to be self-serving and not genuine, should be ignored

benjs is a contributing writer to A Moving Train, a formerly hopeful human and lead dog poo picker-upper for an eight pound Maltese named Tony. He's not unbiased but also doesn't lie to sell an agenda to an unwitting public that have collectively hit the 'off' switch on their brains so as not to offend the Leader by thinking
    And I damn cool human being ^^^
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,713
    Current MAGA themes in my social media feed:

1. "Where is Joe"...all kinds of conspiracy theories that he's already dead, that he's in hospice, etc. HE WAS ON A FUCKING LIVE PHONE CALL YESTERDAY but they will say that was probably AI or something.

2. Kamala slept her way to the top. They are fucking selling t-shirts that show Kamala's heel wearing feet in the air, legs spread, with different slogans like "Whatever it takes", etc.

Fucking disgusting but not unexpected I guess.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,701
    Biden couldn't win.  He was providing no energy for the electorate.  

Cognitively, he is fine.  Physically, he is starting to show his age.  I am 45 and probably could not last in a 90 minute pressure-packed debate.  An 80 year old who needs to be fed mashed potatoes and vegetables isn't lasting 10 seconds in the debate.  If I am Biden's age and in his condition, I will thank my lucky stars.

Ultimately, it is about electability and the outlook for Biden was not good and he was unable to bring the energy or appeal that Harris could.  
    There probably also is some thought put into what Biden's age/condition will be in 4 years of doing this strenuous job (and 100 more days of campaigning).
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,230
    edited July 23

1. "Where is Joe"...all kinds of conspiracy theories that he's already dead, that he's in hospice, etc. HE WAS ON A FUCKING LIVE PHONE CALL YESTERDAY but they will say that was probably AI or something.

2. Kamala slept her way to the top. They are fucking selling t-shirts that show Kamala's heel wearing feet in the air, legs spread, with different slogans like "Whatever it takes", etc.

3. What happened this weekend in the Democratic Party was a coup. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    MayDay10 said:
    Cognitively, he is fine.  
    What 
    pjl44 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Cognitively, he is fine.  
    What 
    No doubt about it. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,987

Absolutely expected.
    Re: "slept her way to the top" -- One of the attacks on Hillary Clinton was that she was unf---able; now they'll try to paint Harris as a slut because -- reasons? They're pretty sure she has slept with more than one person in her life? 
    This woman's perspective: the pressure to calibrate one's behavior so finely that it feels like balancing on a tightrope? It feels familiar. And I am certain that it is familiar to Kamala Harris, and that she has gotten this far by having a thick skin and not giving a rat's ass about this commentary.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,709
    CM189191 said:

Spot the fuck on. 
    www.myspace.com
    I remember how quickly Dems came together in 2020 -- they *can* do it, and I'm glad they have. They needed unity around someone, and thy have it.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    I remember how quickly Dems came together in 2020 -- they *can* do it, and I'm glad they have. They needed unity around someone, and thy have it.
    There is inspiration from what just happened over in France too...
    www.myspace.com
    There is inspiration from what just happened over in France too...
    & the UK as well.
    Another criticism of  VP Harris that I’ve seen is that she doesn’t have children. 

Imagine what they would saying if she had 5 children from 3 partners like the republican nominee?
    It's "funny" how some people act like they have some say over what's happening in women's vaginas and uteruses. Imagine if we applied the same criteria to men. 
    Yeah the no children thing will go over well with women...

About as well as the JD Vance selection works with them....
    www.myspace.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Posts: 36,680
    MayDay10 said:
    Biden couldn't win.  He was providing no energy for the electorate.  

Cognitively, he is fine.  Physically, he is starting to show his age.  I am 45 and probably could not last in a 90 minute pressure-packed debate.  An 80 year old who needs to be fed mashed potatoes and vegetables isn't lasting 10 seconds in the debate.  If I am Biden's age and in his condition, I will thank my lucky stars.

Ultimately, it is about electability and the outlook for Biden was not good and he was unable to bring the energy or appeal that Harris could.  
    There probably also is some thought put into what Biden's age/condition will be in 4 years of doing this strenuous job (and 100 more days of campaigning).
    Agree 100%. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Posts: 36,680
    Then they should clap back that Trump may have slept his way to prison 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Absolutely expected.
    Re: "slept her way to the top" -- One of the attacks on Hillary Clinton was that she was unf---able; now they'll try to paint Harris as a slut because -- reasons? They're pretty sure she has slept with more than one person in her life? 
    This woman's perspective: the pressure to calibrate one's behavior so finely that it feels like balancing on a tightrope? It feels familiar. And I am certain that it is familiar to Kamala Harris, and that she has gotten this far by having a thick skin and not giving a rat's ass about this commentary.

In this world if you are a man and cheat on all your wives it’s no big deal but if your a woman who has had sexual relationships with more than one man/woman your a slut 🤷‍♂️ go figure! Most civilized countries like in Europe or South America or anywhere it was or is still not a big deal for a man to have a side piece.. 
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668

Absolutely expected.

In this world if you are a man and cheat on all your wives it’s no big deal but if your a woman who has had sexual relationships with more than one man/woman your a slut 🤷‍♂️ go figure! Most civilized countries like in Europe or South America or anywhere it was or is still not a big deal for a man to have a side piece.. 
    Yeah it’s not that big of a deal. I don’t think that many people really care. It’s the oldest profession in the world, so they say.
    teskeinc said:

Absolutely expected.

Yeah it’s not that big of a deal. I don’t think that many people really care. It’s the oldest profession in the world, so they say.
    Nice so your ok with husbands and wives having affairs while married? Damn dude 
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/francois-mitterrand-s-last-secret-love-living-a-triple-life-1.4690128
    teskeinc said:

Absolutely expected.

KH is not in the profession of prostitution! No matter what you may believe she’s not 
    teskeinc said:

Absolutely expected.

I don't think so either. It's great red meat for the magats but it will just motivate women more.

GenZ females will not like Vance calling Harris a cat lady that doesn't have an interest in the US since she doesn't have kids...They are rabid for Harris right now. I live with a few of them.

teskeinc said:

Absolutely expected.

So now we are back to the misogynistic insults again? You people just can't go more than a few posts without resorting to this nonsense. 

Be better. 
    www.myspace.com
  • teskeincteskeinc Posts: 1,668
    teskeinc said:

Absolutely expected.

Nice so your ok with husbands and wives having affairs while married? Damn dude 
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/francois-mitterrand-s-last-secret-love-living-a-triple-life-1.4690128
    Well….. Willie Brown was 60, married with 3 kids when Harris was 29 and they had their “relationship” in SF. I just don’t think it’s an issue that people would disqualify her from a vote from the American public in this day and age.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,506
    teskeinc said:

Absolutely expected.

What a shitty reply.  Embarrassing. 
    teskeinc said:

Absolutely expected.

So now we are back to the misogynistic insults again? You people just can't go more than a few posts without resorting to this nonsense. 

Be better. 
    Wait till the leader of the misogynistic party gets started he will put his foot in his mouth every time he opens it! 
    mrussel1 said:
    teskeinc said:

Absolutely expected.

What a shitty reply.  Embarrassing. 
    Only a matter of time before Trump dips into that water. He already referred to her "pole" numbers on his faux twitter thing yesterday. 

Go ahead, fire up tens of millions of broads. See how that works for you, you old dummy. lol
    www.myspace.com