#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,710
    sad

https://fortune.com/2024/07/23/elon-musk-backs-down-from-45-million-a-month-pledge-to-trump-says-he-doesnt-subscribe-to-cult-of-personality/

Elon Musk denies reported $45 million a month pledge to Trump, says he doesn’t ‘subscribe to cult of personality’

July 23, 2024 at 5:35 PM EDT
    Elon Musk owner of Tesla and the X formerly Twitter platform attends a symposium on fighting antisemitism titled Never Again  Lip Service or Deep Conversation in Krakow Poland on January 22nd 2024 Musk who was invited to Poland by the European Jewish Association EJA has visited the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp earlier that day ahead of International Holocaust Remembrance Day
    Elon Musk has a complicated relationship with former President Donald Trump.
    GETTY

Elon Musk is not spending $45 million a month to elect former President Donald Trump, though he has created a new super political action committee (PAC) to fund the Republican candidate, the billionaire told conservative commentator Jordan Peterson during an interview Monday evening. 

During the interview, which was hosted on Musk’s platform, X, Peterson asked Musk if he had “shocked” himself by donating a substantial amount of money to Trump’s campaign. Musk – who has previously criticized Trump, calling him a “bull in a china shop” – paused to correct the “media.” 

Related Video

a is simply not true,” Musk said. “I am not donating $45 million a month to Trump.”

The Wall Street Journal first reported on the claim, citing sources “familiar with the matter.” The outlet has not yet issued a retraction or follow-up article altering its reporting. 

Musk did note that he created a super PAC, called the America PAC, to help support Trump. A super PAC is a group that can raise unlimited amounts of money for a campaign’s independent expenditures—such as for ads, or for day-to-day operations— but doesn’t donate directly to the campaign. They have become prominent among both Democrats and Republicans since a 2010 D.C. appeals court decision that authorized the existence of the super PACS. For a normal PAC, donors are limited to gifts of only $5,000 a year.

Several tech company leaders have donated to America PAC, including Ken Howery, an early executive at Paypal along with Musk, Antonio Gracias, a private-equity leader, Sequoia Capital’s Shuan Maguire, and the Winklevoss twins. 

The super PAC is also led in part by Joe Lonsdale, a co-founder of the software company Palantir and politically ambitious venture capitalist in Austin who is close to Musk, according to the New York Times. 

The Austin-based America PAC “is not supposed to be a sort of hyperpartisan” organization, Musk said. He said that he isn’t part of MAGA—or Make America Great Again, Trump’s campaign slogan—but rather, his principles are aligned with “MAG”: Make America Greater. 

“I don’t prescribe to [a] cult of personality,” Musk said. But, he added that Trump demonstrated “great courage” after being shot by an attempted assassin on July 13, and that strength helps intimidate America’s enemies. 

Additionally, Musk spoke about the “core values” that make America great, which he thinks the Republican party embodies more so than the Democrats. 

“One of those values being meritocracy, as much meritocracy as possible, so you get ahead as a function of your skill, and nothing else,” Musk said. 

He also added that one of the principles the PAC aligned with was “freedom,” particularly freedom from “as much government intervention as possible.” The hand of government gets heavier every year, and if we don’t roll back some restrictions and regulations, eventually, “everything will be illegal,” Musk said.

When Peterson pressed Musk for why he was switching to Trump, after long voting Democratic, Musk said that Democrats had become the party of censorship.
     He also criticized a lawsuit that the Justice Department—under President Joe Biden’s administration— launched against his company SpaceX, last year, alleging that Musk discouraged refugees and asylum seekers from applying to work at the aerospace company. A court order later blocked the U.S. from pursuing the lawsuit.

www.myspace.com
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 899
    From the outside looking in, can anyone shed some light on what now looks to be an extended lame duck period? Would Biden start throwing around executive orders around willy nilly? I'd say the GOP would slam any such action as executive overreach but would there be enough checks and balances to get in the way of anything? Was wondering if he'd have codified Roe if he had the chance. And would there be any other legislation Dems would think of that would warrant similar executive action in these circumstances in Biden's eyes? Cheers for any and all answers.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    JT167846 said:
    From the outside looking in, can anyone shed some light on what now looks to be an extended lame duck period? Would Biden start throwing around executive orders around willy nilly? I'd say the GOP would slam any such action as executive overreach but would there be enough checks and balances to get in the way of anything? Was wondering if he'd have codified Roe if he had the chance. And would there be any other legislation Dems would think of that would warrant similar executive action in these circumstances in Biden's eyes? Cheers for any and all answers.
    I would say he would continue operating as if he was still running for re-election as Harris is his VP. Doing anything abnormal like that would probably only hurt her chances.
    www.myspace.com
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    shecky said:

musk is giving trump 45 million a month through the election. he is basically a trump shill. his opinion does not matter to most of us. 

musk backed off of that, no longer promised 45M/mnth

wonder why?

Tesla Earnings Fall 43%

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,715
    I think the board got to Musk...liberals buy electric cars. Liberals don't like tRump.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,506
    JT167846 said:
    I would say he would continue operating as if he was still running for re-election as Harris is his VP. Doing anything abnormal like that would probably only hurt her chances.
    Also, there's a lame duck whenever a president is in their second term.  So this isn't unprecedented.  Typically they spend this time worrying about their legacy, but the time is short for Biden on that since this is unplanned.  
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,281
    edited July 24
    JT167846 said:
    I don’t see this as any different than when a president is finishing up a second term and knows he can’t run again. Happens about every other president.
    *Juat saw mrussel beat me to this answer.
    Whatever he does it will be after the election since a lot depends on who wins.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,231
    edited July 24
    I understand the argument that Biden should have dropped out last fall but considering the bind this leaves the Republicans in what with all the $ they just spent at the RNC, that god awful pick for VP, and the fact that they’re now all in on their aging, dementia riddled candidate….idk, the timing could have been worse. I know 3-1/2 months isn’t a long time for Harris, but OTOH hand as trump himself was crying about on Sunday… republicans have to start all over too. Sure, Vance can be replaced, but that won’t be a good look either. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,643
    I look forward to Hunter’s pardon.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,108
    I understand the argument that Biden should have dropped out last fall but considering the bind this leaves the Republicans in what with all the $ they just spent at the RNC, that god awful pick for VP, and the fact that they’re now all in on their aging, dementia riddled candidate….idk, the timing could have been worse. I know 3-1/2 months isn’t a long time for Harris, but OTOH hand as trump himself was crying about on Sunday… republicans have to start all over too. Sure, Vance can be replaced, but that won’t be a good look either. 
    Honestly, I'm starting to come around that the call-to-action wouldn't feel as high-stakes as it did given the wait. There's a serious surge in the air towards Harris, and if Democrat campaign leadership can keep that momentum up and spend strategically, this could honestly be a landslide. Prosecutor vs. convicted criminal for President is a wonderful contrast. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    Honestly, I'm starting to come around that the call-to-action wouldn't feel as high-stakes as it did given the wait. There's a serious surge in the air towards Harris, and if Democrat campaign leadership can keep that momentum up and spend strategically, this could honestly be a landslide. Prosecutor vs. convicted criminal for President is a wonderful contrast. 
    agreed....the Dems just need a big turnout. If we get that tRump will be put to pasture politically.

edited July 24
    benjs said:
    & by contrast, all that momentum the republicans had after the debate & the RNC has disappeared. 
    If Biden had dropped out say last October, the republicans would have had 8 months to do opposition research on whomever they might be going up against. Instead they went all in on Biden at their convention and are now left scrambling. 
    benjs said:
    & by contrast, all that momentum the republicans had after the debate & the RNC has disappeared. 
    If Biden had dropped out say last October, the republicans would have had 8 months to do opposition research on whomever they might be going up against. Instead they went all in on Biden at their convention and are now left scrambling. 
    Yeah there's no way Vance is the VP if it isn't Biden. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,198
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

musk is giving trump 45 million a month through the election. he is basically a trump shill. his opinion does not matter to most of us. 
    Musk said today he really isn't.  Trolled the Trump campaign I guess.  Maybe it's because TSLA reported earnings today and they are down 10% for today and afterhours. The missed revenue numbers and that's with **$890MM** in regulatory credits they received for the period.  Yes, that's right, Elon the South African who hates all of the takers in this country received almost a billion in regulatory credits.  
    Elongitaint is a POS apartheid lover. Just wait until he further ruins Tejas.

wonder how much strain he puts on the power grid
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    benjs said:
    Exactly!  That’s what makes it so entertaining.  Just waiting to see how they attack her without them offending women, blacks, Asians, inter-racial marriages, men who stand behind their spouses, women without children, ambitious women.  A woman brings a whole array of new stuff to worry about, don’t we?  

How long before pms or menopause is mentioned.  The wicked tongues better watch.  
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,643
    benjs said:
    Exactly!  That’s what makes it so entertaining.  Just waiting to see how they attack her without them offending women, blacks, Asians, inter-racial marriages, men who stand behind their spouses, women without children, ambitious women.  A woman brings a whole array of new stuff to worry about, don’t we?  

How long before pms or menopause is mentioned.  The wicked tongues better watch.  
    It’s like they’ve never heard of Margaret Thatcher, Indira Gandhi, Golda Meir, Angela Merkel, Marie LaPen or Susan B Anthony, Betsy Ross, Harriet Tubman, Liz Cheney, Sarah Palin, Rosa Parks, Geraldine Ferraro, RBG, Amy Coney Barrett, Sonia Sotomayor or Dr. Ruth. Or their own mothers.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,998
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

Musk said today he really isn't.  Trolled the Trump campaign I guess.  Maybe it's because TSLA reported earnings today and they are down 10% for today and afterhours. The missed revenue numbers and that's with **$890MM** in regulatory credits they received for the period.  Yes, that's right, Elon the South African who hates all of the takers in this country received almost a billion in regulatory credits.  
    That whole saga was very weird...
    ...I get offering up a huge sum and thinking better of it. But it seems like a risk of pissing Trump off and we all know you don't want Trump on your bad side. Seems he'd have been better off not bringing it up in the first place.

Also, I cannot even relate to that amount of money (Getting towards $180 million). How much can that buy in terms of judges and regulators? He certainly would have special resident / advisor status in the eyes of the federal government and also be able to get away with a lot of shit.  But it seems like he could use a lot less money than that on his own and make a lot of headway.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Agree with everyone above on the timing. It seems to have worked out perfectly. No real convention bounce/bump, the ear thing seems like months ago at this point, and it makes the Vance pick look even dumber. 
    www.myspace.com
    edited July 24
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,789
    Agree with everyone above on the timing. It seems to have worked out perfectly. No real convention bounce/bump, the ear thing seems like months ago at this point, and it makes the Vance pick look even dumber. 

Agreed here as well. 
    It's way to early to "count chickens before they hatch", of course, but I couldn't be happier with the way things have turned around.  The positive energy and hope is widespread and is building.  Not long at all ago, I had no idea I could feel this hopeful.  Now here we are!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Agreed here as well. 
    It's way to early to "count chickens before they hatch", of course, but I couldn't be happier with the way things have turned around.  The positive energy and hope is widespread and is building.  Not long at all ago, I had no idea I could feel this hopeful.  Now here we are!
    Wait until Mark Kelly is the VP on the ticket.  There's little risk whether we win or lose the election.  AZ has a D gov.  
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,214
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

i will bet he is totally giving 45 million a month and then denying it. it is not like anybody is going to hold him to his word or anything. 

he has lost a lot of us as customers forever. many will never ever buy a tesla, and many will never use twitter again.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

i will bet he is totally giving 45 million a month and then denying it. it is not like anybody is going to hold him to his word or anything. 

he has lost a lot of us as customers forever. many will never ever buy a tesla, and many will never use twitter again.
    I'll never own a Tesla.  

But to be fair,  I own two V8s. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

I'll never own a Tesla.  

Yeah fuck that. I'm in the market for another V8

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

I'll never own a Tesla.  

I know it's terrible, but I love them.  And I love cars.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

I'll never own a Tesla.  

I was looking at a new Ford Expedition but no V8s...only V6. That would probably be ok but fuck that. I'll get an F150 with a V8.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

I'll never own a Tesla.  

I was looking at a new Ford Expedition but no V8s...only V6. That would probably be ok but fuck that. I'll get an F150 with a V8.
    I have a Yukon that I love.  So easy to get moving.  Plus it shuts down four cylinders on the highway, giving it pretty good gas mileage.  Probably 22 or so when cruising.  My other V8 is a 5 liter s62 that makes close to 500bhp and 480 ft/lb of torque.  It is not efficient.  I think I'm getting ready to sell this one though.  
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,324
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

I'll never own a Tesla.  

Noooooooo!!!!!! Ford trucks use the aluminum beds that take away steelworker jobs from our fellow hardworking northern Indiana union steelworkers.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    shecky said:

I'll never own a Tesla.  

Noooooooo!!!!!! Ford trucks use the aluminum beds that take away steelworker jobs from our fellow hardworking northern Indiana union steelworkers.
    But that Ford transmission...