Options

#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    Time to cut the Saudi's loose and see how they like it. Fuck them.
    They'd align w Russia, make another currency and not use the dollar for purchasing oil.  Those two things would put the balance of power on whack.

We unfortunately can't cut all ties w them.
    Stop with the craziness!  If you have an issue with another country it is very simple to just cut all ties with them and leave them alone...nothing bad would ever come from that!
    If it were that easy we would have done so after 9/11.

It's not crazy to think that the dollar would no longer purchase oil.  It is what China and Russia have been striving for a while now.
    I was being sarcastic ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    They'd align w Russia, make another currency and not use the dollar for purchasing oil.  Those two things would put the balance of power on whack.

Stop with the craziness!  If you have an issue with another country it is very simple to just cut all ties with them and leave them alone...nothing bad would ever come from that!
    If it were that easy we would have done so after 9/11.

It's not crazy to think that the dollar would no longer purchase oil.  It is what China and Russia have been striving for a while now.
    I was being sarcastic ;)
    lol, sorry, I missed that.

I was wondering why you answered like that too.

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

Granted, cutting all ties isn't realistic, but we sure as shit could find a middle ground. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,456
    'THERAPY IS GREAT'

They Threw a Beer at Her Head. She Chugged It. How a Comedian Owned MAGA Hecklers

Ariel Elias talks to Rolling Stone about her viral clip, a masterclass in handling these kinds of heckling assholes

BY PETER WAD

A FEW UNHINGED members of a New Jersey comedy club audience must have gotten lost on their way to a Trump rally. Ariel Elias was in the middle of her stand-up set when a person in the crowd demanded to know if she voted for Trump and another threw a can of beer at her head.

Even before the heckling, “the set wasn’t going great,” Elias tells Rolling Stone of her time on stage at Uncle Vinnie’s Comedy Club in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, on Saturday night. The hecklers were in a large party of approximately 20 people celebrating a “Mexico-themed birthday,” she says. And the vibes were off from the beginning. Members of the group “were wearing fake mustaches and had to be told to quiet down before the show even started.”

Elias shared a clip of the incident on social media, where it surpassed a million views by Sunday afternoon. The exchange happened during a Q&A segment of her act where she interacts with the audience.

“Did you vote for Donald Trump?” a woman in the crowd asked Elias.

“Did I vote for Donald Trump? What do you think?” the comedian responded. She added, “Here’s a question for you: Why would you ask me that in here, knowing I’m the only Jew in the room? Are you trying to get me killed?”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/ariel-elias-beer-throw-comedy-club-maga-hecklers-1234607923/

“I don’t hide who I am or change how I present myself. I also don’t really talk about politics on stage, it’s just not what I want my stand up to be,” Elias says. “But my perspective is that of a southern Jew, and I talk a lot about being a woman and body image. I really think I’m good enough at this to make people who disagree with me laugh and enjoy. So yes, I’ve gotten iced out by crowds, a couple of people have walked out, every now and then someone yells something. But I’ve never gotten half a free beer for it.”

Asked what she’d say to her hecklers, Elias tells Rolling Stone, “My message to last night’s hecklers is that therapy is great, I highly recommend it. Or just write down your feelings. I promise you’ll feel like throwing things less.”

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678

It’s *almost* as if OPEC & Putin & the GOP are in cahoots. 
    Biden actually said that if OPEC cuts the oil that they are aligning with Russia.  So there is that.  It's a perfect platform for the GOP to run with too though.  Low hanging fruit.
    Of course they are aligning with Russia.  But I dont' understand your point?  You're saying the perfect platform for the GOP is to make the case that OPEC is aligned with Russia?  Does that mean the US should align with Russia?  Did I miss when gas prices became more important than fighting for freedom and self determination?  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Biden actually said that if OPEC cuts the oil that they are aligning with Russia.  So there is that.  It's a perfect platform for the GOP to run with too though.  Low hanging fruit.
    Of course they are aligning with Russia.  But I dont' understand your point?  You're saying the perfect platform for the GOP is to make the case that OPEC is aligned with Russia?  Does that mean the US should align with Russia?  Did I miss when gas prices became more important than fighting for freedom and self determination?  
    The GOP has been kissing Putin's ass for a long time now... everyone else should pucker up too, I guess. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    edited October 2022
    @Out of My Mind and Time sure, the left are the trashy ones. HAHAHAHAcutz said:
    'THERAPY IS GREAT'

They Threw a Beer at Her Head. She Chugged It. How a Comedian Owned MAGA Hecklers

Ariel Elias talks to Rolling Stone about her viral clip, a masterclass in handling these kinds of heckling assholes

BY PETER WAD

A FEW UNHINGED members of a New Jersey comedy club audience must have gotten lost on their way to a Trump rally. Ariel Elias was in the middle of her stand-up set when a person in the crowd demanded to know if she voted for Trump and another threw a can of beer at her head.

Even before the heckling, “the set wasn’t going great,” Elias tells Rolling Stone of her time on stage at Uncle Vinnie’s Comedy Club in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, on Saturday night. The hecklers were in a large party of approximately 20 people celebrating a “Mexico-themed birthday,” she says. And the vibes were off from the beginning. Members of the group “were wearing fake mustaches and had to be told to quiet down before the show even started.”

Elias shared a clip of the incident on social media, where it surpassed a million views by Sunday afternoon. The exchange happened during a Q&A segment of her act where she interacts with the audience.

“Did I vote for Donald Trump? What do you think?” the comedian responded. She added, “Here’s a question for you: Why would you ask me that in here, knowing I’m the only Jew in the room? Are you trying to get me killed?”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/ariel-elias-beer-throw-comedy-club-maga-hecklers-1234607923/

“I don’t hide who I am or change how I present myself. I also don’t really talk about politics on stage, it’s just not what I want my stand up to be,” Elias says. “But my perspective is that of a southern Jew, and I talk a lot about being a woman and body image. I really think I’m good enough at this to make people who disagree with me laugh and enjoy. So yes, I’ve gotten iced out by crowds, a couple of people have walked out, every now and then someone yells something. But I’ve never gotten half a free beer for it.”

Asked what she’d say to her hecklers, Elias tells Rolling Stone, “My message to last night’s hecklers is that therapy is great, I highly recommend it. Or just write down your feelings. I promise you’ll feel like throwing things less.”

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    ^It's always the maga nerds who feel the need to inject their politics into everything and anything. 

#itsacult
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

My Point is GOP is not blaming Russia for gas prices, they blame Biden.

I am also pointing out the easy targets that Biden will get nailed for, his fault or not.  It doesn't help when he claims gas prices are falling because of him either.
  • Options
    I have been to a bunch of comedy shows and never saw anything like that.  Since Trump it has become more of a normal.

You can't do shit like that...

Glad she pwned them by drinking that beer but that's not cool to throw a beer at a lady...
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    mrussel1 said:

I am also pointing out the easy targets that Biden will get nailed for, his fault or not.  It doesn't help when he claims gas prices are falling because of him either.
    Okay if Putin didn't triple your gas prices, who did?  Was it Biden?  If you're arguing that people who trend GOP are stupid enough to think that some Biden policy tripled gas prices, I'll have to agree with that.  But is that what you think?
  • Options
    cutz said:
    'THERAPY IS GREAT'

BY PETER WAD

I wonder if the beer thrower was concealed carrying and exercised restraint?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    I have been to a bunch of comedy shows and never saw anything like that.  Since Trump it has become more of a normal.

You can't do shit like that...

Glad she pwned them by drinking that beer but that's not cool to throw a beer at a lady...
    i think it is fair to say that the rage from the right is different than the rage from the left. the left wants to try to do things in the normal way, while the right just goes towards violence.

if someone can't take a joke without wanting to kick the comedian's ass, for the love of god do not go to a comedy show.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Okay if Putin didn't triple your gas prices, who did?  Was it Biden?  If you're arguing that people who trend GOP are stupid enough to think that some Biden policy tripled gas prices, I'll have to agree with that.  But is that what you think?
    You can’t blame Putin or Biden for all of it. They were below normal to start because of COVId. So neither one is responsible for tripling prices. 
  • Options
    After years of criticizing Trump for statements like he was better than any president, got more done than any other president, etc....

Just heard Biden say the exact same thing in an interview.  I hate this part of politics for sure, always selling yourself as the best.  I hate those people at my company and the corporate world...always looking for the promotion, never the sustained results.  At least Biden isn't just a plain liar about things...but he is still a political spinner and Trump must have heightened my attention (and repulsion) to it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    After years of criticizing Trump for statements like he was better than any president, got more done than any other president, etc....

Just heard Biden say the exact same thing in an interview.  I hate this part of politics for sure, always selling yourself as the best.  I hate those people at my company and the corporate world...always looking for the promotion, never the sustained results.  At least Biden isn't just a plain liar about things...but he is still a political spinner and Trump must have heightened my attention (and repulsion) to it.
    This is a fundamental flaw of governance though. We put reasonable restrictions on a politician's tenure (i.e. we don't want an authoritarian in charge), but the public generally grades politicians not on what they pledge to prepare for tomorrow, but what they deliver today. Given that, if you're a politician - what choice do you have? You can be the humble politician talking about aspirations and forming a better future instead of today's deliverables, but your voice will be drowned out by others which are sensationalizing everything they touch, and worse - talking cynically about everything their opponents have touched.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Did he refer to himself as "a very stable genius" or "your favorite president"? 

Joking aside, should he not push back against the narrative that they're doing nothing?
  • Options

Did he refer to himself as "a very stable genius" or "your favorite president"? 

Joking aside, should he not push back against the narrative that they're doing nothing?
    He did not thankfully.

I do think there is a difference between talking about accomplishments and saying “more than any president ever” 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Shine a light on it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    benjs said:

This is a fundamental flaw of governance though. We put reasonable restrictions on a politician's tenure (i.e. we don't want an authoritarian in charge), but the public generally grades politicians not on what they pledge to prepare for tomorrow, but what they deliver today. Given that, if you're a politician - what choice do you have? You can be the humble politician talking about aspirations and forming a better future instead of today's deliverables, but your voice will be drowned out by others which are sensationalizing everything they touch, and worse - talking cynically about everything their opponents have touched.
    in theory, anyway.

As for the original point, I don't necessarily love self-promotion from any elected official. Most of them, when they get to a certain height, have quite an ego. So I can give Biden a thumbs-down for this but I can also distinguish him punching back against his critics and Trump's entire persona of making it all about himself. It's either not the same or it's Biden's Apple to Trump's planet (i.e., size/magnitude).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

I hate political rhetoric as much as anyone else, but for f's sake... the rhetoric coming from the GOP these days is nothing short of anti-American and anti-democracy. 

If we're going to nit-pick Biden for self promotional rhetoric, let's hold it up against the rhetoric coming from the right and see how it all compares. These aren't normal times.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148

The corporate mantra in this era is “good work can’t sell itself because it doesn’t talk, you need to sell yourself.” It’s nauseating.
  • Options

I hate political rhetoric as much as anyone else, but for f's sake... the rhetoric coming from the GOP these days is nothing short of anti-American and anti-democracy. 

If we're going to nit-pick Biden for self promotional rhetoric, let's hold it up against the rhetoric coming from the right and see how it all compares. These aren't normal times.
    It's almost like we should have a GOP thread to talk that and maybe bring up Biden related things in a Biden thread...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    everything is gold compared to trump. let's try to hold everyone to the previous, normal, standard, shall we?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Why shouldn’t Brandon tout his administration’s or his own accomplishments? All or almost all accomplished with ZERO repub support and a couple of preening party traitors? In the wake of POOTWH no less.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Why shouldn’t Brandon tout his administration’s or his own accomplishments? All or almost all accomplished with ZERO repub support and a couple of preening party traitors? In the wake of POOTWH no less.
    So, can you see a difference between touting your accomplishments and saying "More than any president before"  "better than any president before"...

Pretty sure you saw that difference 2016-2020.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

You guys are right. Every comment Biden makes is made in a vacuum and deserves to be criticized as such. 

Good stuff. 
  • Options

You guys are right. Every comment Biden makes is made in a vacuum and deserves to be criticized as such. 

Good stuff. 
    so we have to compare everything he says to Trump? why not compare him to Obama, or Reagan, or any other president? or just judge his comments on their own merit. imagine that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    edited October 2022

Good stuff. 
    so we have to compare everything he says to Trump? why not compare him to Obama, or Reagan, or any other president? or just judge his comments on their own merit. imagine that. 
    Was Obama compared more often to Bush 41 or Bush 43? It was Bush 43 since he was his predecessor. I don't understand why people want to just ignore Biden's predecessor, especially since he is likely going to run again in 2024. So Not comparing Biden to Trump makes no sense.  
    chinese-happy.jpg