Options

#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    edited October 2022
    mace1229 said:
    The NY State Thruway is on a 5 year $450 million plan to renovate all of its 24 hour rest stops along its 570 miles. Guess what that includes? Yup, rapid charging stations. Hook up your car, swipe your credit card or Apple Pay, go get a meal for 45 minutes to an hour and off you go.

No way this will work in ten years and what about those people who only use cash?
    All these what ifs and it’s impossible are kind of silly considering we will  run out of oil that’s a fact. Then what? We are really screwed if it’s impossible 

If we ran out of oil tomorrow, no way it takes even 3 years.  We can do it. We choose not to or to not do it quickly.

Should we really wait until that happens. Or until it’s so scarce it’s prohibitively expensive? Or until climate change accelerates to the point that we have even bigger concerns.

doing nothing isn’t really acceptable 

Nope. Nothing's going to work so don't bother trying. 
    No one said that. Just saying let’s get the infrastructure first before we make laws requiring it. 
    They aren’t requiring it. You don’t have to own an electric vehicle 

all new car sales only. Not used, not new cars bought elsewhere 

if you aren’t buying a brand new car (current average sticker price for all new purchases regardless of engine is 50k) it doesn’t affect you one bit.  You are still free to buy whatever used car you wish. 

If you are going to drop 50k on something new at your local dealership, it has to be electric … in 10 years 

It’s literally the definition  of a phase in
    / phase out approach, it’s not a hard stop on gasoline.  Gas engines even in the most aggressive situation will still be lingering for decades perfectly legally 
    Is this law not meant to reduce the number of gas cars on the road, and increase EV? Will the number of EV not drastically increase? If not, then what is the point of this law?
    Will not the price of used gas cars go way up? Having to travel to another state to buy a new car? It will definitely effect everyone living gin California. 
    And I'm not even saying lets not build the infrastructure. Just that it doesn't makes sense to create a ban on new cars this far out and without the proper infratrastzure. 
    Seems to make a lot more sense to me to create that infrastructure now, reassess in 5 or 10 years where we are, and if we can handle it, then make that change. Just seems to be going about this backwards.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    To get this back on the topic of a Biden....how about Jill's shoes for her trip to the disaster area?  ;)
    I preferred Deathsantis’ boots. Both fetching and confidence inspiring.
    Thread integrity please.

And of course I'm joking, but my huge Dem friend sent me a picture with a WTF....a Melania moment for Jill.  

I don't see what your friend's weight has to do with any of this...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    LMAO
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I googled "jill biden shoes" and came across a website called footwearnews.com. jesus mother murphy. a website dedicated to FOOTWEAR NEWS?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    So - i kinda was under the impression that balance was the best thing for the environment.  So why the push for all electric?  And why mandatory by the government?  Tough to favor a business in such a way....

I haven't look at this in a while.  I know that for me, when I bought a new car the end of 2020...just a small sedan...not a big SUV...I looked at some EV and decided against it due to 1) Long haul travel (I don;t do a ton of it, but when I do I try not to stop much...the charging time and mileage was a killer) 2) Cost - it was more expensive then at least 3) Less so, but some concern about paying for a charger setup at my house...added cost.

I can easily be on board though should the infrastructure get into place, should the mileage per charge increase a couple hundred miles and the cost are reasonable.  I had initially thought I would be buying electric in 2020 time frame.  And I full expect it to be a major player for me in 2026-2028.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    I have heard too many problems with the Teslas. I'm sure they are nice cars and must be pretty reliable but I'm not going that route yet.

I drive a 2009 Ford Expedition that only has 109K miles on it. That should at least last me a few more years. I have a 14 mile round trip which is about the extent of its use anymore. It used to be the family truckster but we are almost empty nesters now.

I had a neighbor get a Tesla and within a month or so there was some problem with the battery that she had to deal with. My next door neighbor has one and has no complaints that I know of.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited October 2022
    So - i kinda was under the impression that balance was the best thing for the environment.  So why the push for all electric?  And why mandatory by the government?  Tough to favor a business in such a way....

I haven't look at this in a while.  I know that for me, when I bought a new car the end of 2020...just a small sedan...not a big SUV...I looked at some EV and decided against it due to 1) Long haul travel (I don;t do a ton of it, but when I do I try not to stop much...the charging time and mileage was a killer) 2) Cost - it was more expensive then at least 3) Less so, but some concern about paying for a charger setup at my house...added cost.

I can easily be on board though should the infrastructure get into place, should the mileage per charge increase a couple hundred miles and the cost are reasonable.  I had initially thought I would be buying electric in 2020 time frame.  And I full expect it to be a major player for me in 2026-2028.

Don’t you have to do two things at once? You need to improve infrastructure and increase purchases of electricic vehicles at the same time.

you are scaling both up as market penetration increases.  If anything a law signals the support for that infrastructure to keep moving. 

no mandates means no push. There are a lot of things that need to happen.  Electric vehicle companies are supplying cars not the charging network.  If they know there is an infrastructure and a push to get people in those cars, then they can confidently increase production.  

An EV relies on utilising a public utility network so it’s automatically a private/public endeavour and I would think the government needs to be involved. If everyone bought an EV today the grid would crash. That needs to be sorted and not by the car manufacturer 

people can’t agree on anything, it’s like herding cats. If anything the government is giving us a direction rather than everyone running around scattershot.  

We got 16 years to figure out how to change all our lightbulbs so 10 years does seem scary. I get that 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I have heard too many problems with the Teslas. I'm sure they are nice cars and must be pretty reliable but I'm not going that route yet.

I drive a 2009 Ford Expedition that only has 109K miles on it. That should at least last me a few more years. I have a 14 mile round trip which is about the extent of its use anymore. It used to be the family truckster but we are almost empty nesters now.

I had a neighbor get a Tesla and within a month or so there was some problem with the battery that she had to deal with. My next door neighbor has one and has no complaints that I know of.
    My neighbour two doors down has a Tesla. They love it.

apparently most servicing is simply a over the air firmware update. There is shockingly little parts that can break as far as “engines” go.  All the other electronics, no idea 

I hate Elon so getting one would be hard. I think the Ford lightning has a lot of potential. I’m not a truck guy though 

once you get enough batteries for range their towing capacity exceeds gas vehicles I think. It’s instant torque 
  • Options
    To get this back on the topic of a Biden....how about Jill's shoes for her trip to the disaster area?  ;)
    Thread integrity please.

And of course I'm joking, but my huge Dem friend sent me a picture with a WTF....a Melania moment for Jill.  

I don't see what your friend's weight has to do with any of this...
    Hahahaha!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Don’t you have to do two things at once? You need to improve infrastructure and increase purchases of electricic vehicles at the same time.

you are scaling both up as market penetration increases.  If anything a law signals the support for that infrastructure to keep moving. 

no mandates means no push. There are a lot of things that need to happen.  Electric vehicle companies are supplying cars not the charging network.  If they know there is an infrastructure and a push to get people in those cars, then they can confidently increase production.  

An EV relies on utilising a public utility network so it’s automatically a private/public endeavour and I would think the government needs to be involved. If everyone bought an EV today the grid would crash. That needs to be sorted and not by the car manufacturer 

people can’t agree on anything, it’s like herding cats. If anything the government is giving us a direction rather than everyone running around scattershot.  

We got 16 years to figure out how to change all our lightbulbs so 10 years does seem scary. I get that 
    Who's scared?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Who's scared?  
    Not you specifically

Change is scary. My in laws have a closet full of incandescent bulbs to prove that. They did adopt led eventually but they seriously bought out the store in probably 2010

if it changed what you are familiar with it’s tough for a lot of people.  All the what if’s and how’s this going to work is a lot to handle 
  • Options

Who's scared?  
    Not you specifically

Change is scary. My in laws have a closet full of incandescent bulbs to prove that. They did adopt led eventually but they seriously bought out the store in probably 2010

if it changed what you are familiar with it’s tough for a lot of people.
    Change is hard for sure.  Forced change even harder.  And then something like this which relies on massive infrastructure ... that's even harder.  

As I said, make a nice midsized EV Sedan that can get 600 miles on a charge and ensure I can get a charge without much hassle almost whenever I want and I'm in the game.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Incandescent is much nicer than led. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Thread integrity please.

Well, were Jill’s choice of footwear worse than this? I particularly like the National Guardsman or Active Duty soldier’s WTF is that expression.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Nice wellies 

looks to be a knock off though  
  • Options
    Thread integrity please.

Well, were Jill’s choice of footwear worse than this? I particularly like the National Guardsman or Active Duty soldier’s WTF is that expression.

Hahaha yeah he’s terrible look was actually work appropriate. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    And a Tan Suit!!!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Thread integrity please.

Dressed like he’s going to work hauling debris

Like anyone believes that. I’d rather they not wear costumes. I know it’s October 

is that a name tag?
  • Options
    Thread integrity please.

Like anyone believes that. I’d rather they not wear costumes. I know it’s October 

is that a name tag?
    Guess he might forget who he is now and again. What a dweeb. And if he was going to haul debris or be doing any kind of work in the storm damage, OSHA might want to have a word with him for his choice of footwear. Oh wait, it’s Flo Rida, they don’t care if you step on rusty nails and puncture your foot. Or is it that federal and state workplace safety rules are suspended in disaster zones?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Thread integrity please.

is that a name tag?
    Guess he might forget who he is now and again. What a dweeb. And if he was going to haul debris or be doing any kind of work in the storm damage, OSHA might want to have a word with him for his choice of footwear. Oh wait, it’s Flo Rida, they don’t care if you step on rusty nails and puncture your foot. Or is it that federal and state workplace safety rules are suspended in disaster zones?
    Boots like that could very well have steel shanks and steel-toes, etc.  PLenty or work boots can look just like that.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Thread integrity please.

is that a name tag?
    Boots like that could very well have steel shanks and steel-toes, etc.  PLenty or work boots can look just like that.
    Sure, he chose them for the safety features.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Thread integrity please.

is that a name tag?
    Sure, he chose them for the safety features.
    Why would he wear the equivalent of a mask on his feet? 

What a wimp 
    Having 10 toes isn’t a badge of honor to the base 
  • Options

I'm shocked that tranny lasted this long.  You need to call Ford and let them know that one worked!
  • Options
    edited October 2022

I wonder how many illegal immigrants will be working to clean up the hurricane destruction in Flo Rida? I’ll bet Deathsantis can’t get enough.
    A lot:
    “They’re arriving from New York, from Louisiana, from Houston and Dallas,” says Saket Soni, executive director of the nonprofit Resilience Force, which advocates for thousands of disaster response workers. The group is made up largely of immigrants, many of whom are undocumented

good quote:
     “What you have now is basically immigrants who are sort of traveling white blood cells of America, who congregate after hurricanes to heal a place, and then move on to heal the next place,”

• Options

I wonder how many illegal immigrants will be working to clean up the hurricane destruction in Flo Rida? I’ll bet Deathsantis can’t get enough.
    A lot:
    “They’re arriving from New York, from Louisiana, from Houston and Dallas,” says Saket Soni, executive director of the nonprofit Resilience Force, which advocates for thousands of disaster response workers. The group is made up largely of immigrants, many of whom are undocumented

good quote:
     “What you have now is basically immigrants who are sort of traveling white blood cells of America, who congregate after hurricanes to heal a place, and then move on to heal the next place,”

Send them all to Martha’s Vineyard! DC, particularly to VP Harris’ house! Brandon’s Delaware home! Stealing jobs from god fearing ‘Muricans, outrageous!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

I'm shocked that tranny lasted this long.  You need to call Ford and let them know that one worked!
    I'm going to go fighting and screaming into the electric age.  I love, love cars.  But I love analog cars, cars that I can work on, that are not all electronically controlled, etc.  Give me independent recirculating ball suspension, a naturally aspirated V8 and a manual transmission and I'm happy.  
    The first time I was ever in a Tesla was last week, on an uber ride.  The doors felt paper thin, it was loud.  I mean the big ass screen was kind of cool, but too obtrusive at the same time.  I have a 20 year old M5 and 21 year old M3 and they are much better vehicles than that Tesla.  

I know we need to move to all electrics, but I was kind of hoping I'd be dead before it all happened.  Same thing with self driving cars. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

A lot:

good quote:

Send them all to Martha’s Vineyard! DC, particularly to VP Harris’ house! Brandon’s Delaware home! Stealing jobs from god fearing ‘Muricans, outrageous!
    Somebody has gotta build that 500k fence around the beach house
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:

A lot:

good quote:

They oughta build a barrier on the southern border with the debris. Just keep adding to it with each passing hurricane.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:

A lot:

good quote:

They oughta build a barrier on the southern border with the debris. Just keep adding to it with each passing hurricane.
    Fences work both ways.  At some point it’ll keep us in

The Republican conspiracy theorists haven’t picked up on that yet? Weird