Options

#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

The administration is now handing out crack pipes, aka "safe smoking kits." Well, not just crack pipes. The other stuff on the list seems reasonable enough. Limiting infections is a good thing. But I'm not sure handing out crack pipes and syringes will do that. Won't those pipes and syringes become just as infected as the ones that are already out on the street?

WASHINGTON (WTAJ) — To limit infections among drug users, the Biden administration is creating a $30 million grant program for non-profits to purchase ‘harm reduction materials’ including crack pipes and smoking kits.

One of the aspects of the program will provide funds to local governments and non-profits to distribute clean pipes and smoking kits to help make drug use safer for addicts. The kits are just one aspect of a list of items that the funding can be used for under the FY 2022 Harm Reduction Program Grant (Harm Reduction).

While the kits reportedly aim to reduce the risk of infections for people who smoke these substances with glass pipes, the Harm Reduction funding can also help with the following:
    • Infectious diseases testing kits (HIV, HBV, HCV, etc.);
    • Medication lock boxes;
    • FDA-approved overdose reversal medication(as well as higher dosages now approved by FDA);
    • Safe sex kits, including PrEP resources and condoms;
    • Safe smoking kits/supplies;
    • Screening for infectious diseases (HIV, sexually transmitted infections, viral hepatitis);
    • Sharps disposal and medication disposal kits;
    • Substance test kits, including test strips for fentanyl and other synthetic drugs;
    • Syringes to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases;
    • Vaccination services (hepatitis A, hepatitis B vaccination); and
    • Wound care management supplies.

In addition, funding can also help with key personnel, education, and require things such as assembling a harm reduction advisory council that meets regularly to guide program activities and project implementation.

You can read the entire 75-page Harm Reduction grant form by clicking here.

Selling or distributing drug paraphernalia is against federal law, unless authorized by the government. Funding for the program comes from Democrat’s American Rescue Plan.

Michael Barry is that you?
    Do you mean Marion? And what about that Ford fella north of the border whose brother is oppressing all of those truckers?
    Michael Berry is a conservative radio asshole that I heard blowing this out of proportion last night.  I listen to right wing radio for my own opposition research.  Basically, the point is how dare they that to help people that have drug problems, especially crack.  It's just something very weak to get outraged over.  Trying to help people, oh the humanity.
    I don’t think posting about the grant in this thread, and questioning how well that pipe/syringe aspect of it will work, is tantamount to being a conservative radio asshole blowing it out of proportion. But then again, I posted it here so I guess that’s the expected response. For reference’s sake, next time, just go with like Tucker Carlson or someone else people actually know rather some obscure radio guy that you listen to for your ”opposition research.”
    My point is that it is a talking point straight from a conservative radio host. Last night he literally said the Biden administration and democrats are giving away crack pipes, and here you are repeating it almost verbatim. Latching onto the safe smoking kit only serves to completely discredit and illegitimize what looks to be a program that is actually about helping people with severe drug problems.  And based on the program it doesn't look like it is all about giving away crack pipes.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

The administration is now handing out crack pipes, aka "safe smoking kits." Well, not just crack pipes. The other stuff on the list seems reasonable enough. Limiting infections is a good thing. But I'm not sure handing out crack pipes and syringes will do that. Won't those pipes and syringes become just as infected as the ones that are already out on the street?

WASHINGTON (WTAJ) — To limit infections among drug users, the Biden administration is creating a $30 million grant program for non-profits to purchase ‘harm reduction materials’ including crack pipes and smoking kits.

One of the aspects of the program will provide funds to local governments and non-profits to distribute clean pipes and smoking kits to help make drug use safer for addicts. The kits are just one aspect of a list of items that the funding can be used for under the FY 2022 Harm Reduction Program Grant (Harm Reduction).

While the kits reportedly aim to reduce the risk of infections for people who smoke these substances with glass pipes, the Harm Reduction funding can also help with the following:
    • Medication lock boxes;
    • FDA-approved overdose reversal medication(as well as higher dosages now approved by FDA);
    • Screening for infectious diseases (HIV, sexually transmitted infections, viral hepatitis);
    • Substance test kits, including test strips for fentanyl and other synthetic drugs;

In addition, funding can also help with key personnel, education, and require things such as assembling a harm reduction advisory council that meets regularly to guide program activities and project implementation.

Selling or distributing drug paraphernalia is against federal law, unless authorized by the government. Funding for the program comes from Democrat’s American Rescue Plan.

Do you mean Marion? And what about that Ford fella north of the border whose brother is oppressing all of those truckers?
    Michael Berry is a conservative radio asshole that I heard blowing this out of proportion last night.  I listen to right wing radio for my own opposition research.  Basically, the point is how dare they that to help people that have drug problems, especially crack.  It's just something very weak to get outraged over.  Trying to help people, oh the humanity.
    I don’t think posting about the grant in this thread, and questioning how well that pipe/syringe aspect of it will work, is tantamount to being a conservative radio asshole blowing it out of proportion. But then again, I posted it here so I guess that’s the expected response. For reference’s sake, next time, just go with like Tucker Carlson or someone else people actually know rather some obscure radio guy that you listen to for your ”opposition research.”

static didnt say anything about it being posted here. only that they heard about it on the radio show.

unless YOU are Michael Berry
    He asked “Michael Berry is that you?” in response to me posting it and questioning the pipe/syringe stuff. 

fair enough.

I want to point out something. you assume the safe smoking pipes were about crack. you can slso smoke heroin or meth as well as powder cocaine.

personally from my experience, I cant see how distribution  of smoking mechanisms would help from a health stand point. but without knowing the reasoning behind it, I'll  reserve any judgement for or against.
    Everything I’ve read points to the reasoning being that new clean pipes/syringes will reduce infections among users. But as I asked in my first post, won’t those just become infected too? I don’t think your typical drug-addicted person gets a new government-issued crack/heroin/meth pipe and thinks “Well I’m going to be careful with this one.”
    Exactly. Tone deaf democrats. Shocked. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    Overall though seems like some decent content. No idea why they feel the need to add crap like that 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    Well Fox News has something to talk about until the caravans show up. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited February 2022
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

• Medication lock boxes;

My point is that it is a talking point straight from a conservative radio host. Last night he literally said the Biden administration and democrats are giving away crack pipes, and here you are repeating it almost verbatim. Latching onto the safe smoking kit only serves to completely discredit and illegitimize what looks to be a program that is actually about helping people with severe drug problems.  And based on the program it doesn't look like it is all about giving away crack pipes.
    No shit. I posted an article that lists the other things the grant offers. And I commented “ The other stuff on the list seems reasonable enough.” But you’re too focused on the fact that the conservative radio host that you listen to for “opposition research” said the same thing in regards to crack pipes. I guessing he just talked about the crack pipes and made no mention anything else in the grant though. 

And you say “ Latching onto the safe smoking kit only serves to completely discredit and illegitimize what looks to be a program that is actually about helping people with severe drug problems.” 

By saying that, you’re admitting the  smoking kits “discredits and 
    illegitimizes” an otherwise pretty good program. The smoking kit aspect is not gonna help people with severe drug issues. It just gives them new paraphernalia that will end up getting infected anyway. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

• Medication lock boxes;

No shit. I posted an article that lists the other things the grant offers. And I commented “ The other stuff on the list seems reasonable enough.” But you’re too focused on the fact that the conservative radio host that you listen to for “opposition research” said the same thing in regards to crack pipes. I guessing he just talked about the crack pipes and made no mention anything else in the grant though. 

And you say “ Latching onto the safe smoking kit only serves to completely discredit and illegitimize what looks to be a program that is actually about helping people with severe drug problems.” 

By saying that, you’re admitting the  smoking kits “discredits and illegitimizes” an otherwise pretty good program. The smoking kit aspect is not gonna help people with severe drug issues. It just gives them new paraphernalia that will end up getting infected anyway. 
    Your first sentence said, “the administration is handing out crack pipes.” The second one said, “among other things.” So what was the point of your first sentence since it was utter bullshit?

As for the last two sentences in the above quote, what are you basing them on? Your opinion or fact based research that you’d like to link to?

Woof.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

• Medication lock boxes;

By saying that, you’re admitting the  smoking kits “discredits and illegitimizes” an otherwise pretty good program. The smoking kit aspect is not gonna help people with severe drug issues. It just gives them new paraphernalia that will end up getting infected anyway. 
    I am certainly not stating that the smoking kits discredit anything.  I think that is what is being used to fuel the right wing rage and indignity machine.  

"it just gives them new paraphernalia that will end up getting infected anyway." I'm not sure what this means...Don't help at all because it isn't a permanent fix?  This reasoning could be used to discredit anything...Why build new roads and bridges when they are just going to fall into disrepair anyway?  

My point is that the focusing on of the smoking kits is a right wing point that is meant to distract from the larger program that will help.  It is framed and stated in a way that gets people that would otherwise be supportive of the program up in arms about the smoking kits.  
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    From Letter From An American

"Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) is also flailing. Sunday, on Face the Nation, he said: “This commission is a partisan scam. They're going after—they're—the purpose of that commission is to try to embarrass and smear and harass as many Republicans as they can get their hands on.”

Yesterday, he released a video saying “Biden is sending free meth & crack pipes to minority communities in the name of ‘racial equity’.... There is no end in sight for this lunacy.“

This is a wild lie made up and spread by right-wing publications, referring to a drug harm reduction program inviting applications for grants in a 75-page call for proposals. Part of that harm reduction includes infectious disease testing kits, medication lock boxes, safe sex kits, vaccinations, and so on, including safe smoking kits, which do not include free meth or crack pipes but do include rubber mouthpieces for pipes to prevent burns, and disinfectant wipes.

Drug harm reduction programs have been around in the U.S. since the 1980s, when the HIV epidemic made it clear that addressing drug addiction could stop that era’s epidemic.

Exaggeration and demonization of their opponents has been part of politics for years, as Republicans tried to fire up their base by describing their opponents as socialists, lazy “takers,” baby-killers, and so on. Now, though, these over-the-top attacks on the committee and on the Democratic administration seem to be part of a new political project."

hmm almost like a bait and switch tactic.  Don't look at the right hand folks, keep your eye on the Left.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:

"Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) is also flailing. Sunday, on Face the Nation, he said: “This commission is a partisan scam. They're going after—they're—the purpose of that commission is to try to embarrass and smear and harass as many Republicans as they can get their hands on.”

Yesterday, he released a video saying “Biden is sending free meth & crack pipes to minority communities in the name of ‘racial equity’.... There is no end in sight for this lunacy.“

This is a wild lie made up and spread by right-wing publications, referring to a drug harm reduction program inviting applications for grants in a 75-page call for proposals. Part of that harm reduction includes infectious disease testing kits, medication lock boxes, safe sex kits, vaccinations, and so on, including safe smoking kits, which do not include free meth or crack pipes but do include rubber mouthpieces for pipes to prevent burns, and disinfectant wipes.

Drug harm reduction programs have been around in the U.S. since the 1980s, when the HIV epidemic made it clear that addressing drug addiction could stop that era’s epidemic.

Exaggeration and demonization of their opponents has been part of politics for years, as Republicans tried to fire up their base by describing their opponents as socialists, lazy “takers,” baby-killers, and so on. Now, though, these over-the-top attacks on the committee and on the Democratic administration seem to be part of a new political project."

hmm almost like a bait and switch tactic.  Don't look at the right hand folks, keep your eye on the Left.
    Some saw it for what it is and some heard the dog whistle. Shocked.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:

Well if that's true, then I admit I was wrong. In the past in California, "safe smoking kits" have included pipes, and California has long had needle-exchange programs. But if that's not a part of this Biden grant, then I was wrong. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    saw a post on instagram that pictured biden with billie eilish and some other dude. all the comments were critical of him wasting time with celebrities. um, trump and kanya/kim, anyone? haha
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I can't believe Joe Biden is mailing crack rocks to every American home. 

Fuggin libs. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    Hamsterdam worked

• Options
    static111 said:

Well if that's true, then I admit I was wrong. In the past in California, "safe smoking kits" have included pipes, and California has long had needle-exchange programs. But if that's not a part of this Biden grant, then I was wrong. 
    Hey believe me I get taken in by clickbait as much as the next guy, it happens.  I would have likely been taken in by this as well had I not originally heard this statement from one of the most hateful radio personalities out there.  I'm pretty sure everyone gets taken by sensational stories from time to time, except for maybe @mrussel1.  But hey we can't all be perfect.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,931

I can't believe Joe Biden is mailing crack rocks to every American home. 

Fuggin libs. 
    Any info on where to sign up? Asking for a friend. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

Hey believe me I get taken in by clickbait as much as the next guy, it happens.  I would have likely been taken in by this as well had I not originally heard this statement from one of the most hateful radio personalities out there.  I'm pretty sure everyone gets taken by sensational stories from time to time, except for maybe @mrussel1.  But hey we can't all be perfect.
    It was a co-worker than mentioned it to me first. When I looked it up for myself, I came across some articles suggesting that pipes have been included in Safe Smoking Kits in the past. And the grant report didn't make reference to exactly what was in the Safe Smoking Kits, so I figured it might as well be true. 

That same co-worker and I went out for a smoke break about 20 minutes ago and I was like "Oh by the way, actually, Biden's not giving out crackpipes." 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

It was a co-worker than mentioned it to me first. When I looked it up for myself, I came across some articles suggesting that pipes have been included in Safe Smoking Kits in the past. And the grant report didn't make reference to exactly what was in the Safe Smoking Kits, so I figured it might as well be true. 

That same co-worker and I went out for a smoke break about 20 minutes ago and I was like "Oh by the way, actually, Biden's not giving out crackpipes." 
    lol  I love picturing Biden giving away pipes.  Like he just is gonna have a bag of crack pipes and walk around to drug addled citizens handing them out like halloween candy.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358

Biden seeking professional diversity in his judicial picks
    By COLLEEN LONG
    22 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden spent a recent flight aboard Air Force One reminiscing with lawmakers and aides about his start as a young lawyer in Delaware working as a public defender in the late 1960s.

The flight from New York to Washington was short, and there wasn't much time to explore the president's brief time in the job during the civil rights era. But as Biden considers his first Supreme Court nominee, this lesser-known period in his biography could offer insight into the personal experience he brings to the decision. The account was relayed by a person familiar with the trip who insisted on anonymity to discuss it.

Biden has already made history by nominating more public defenders, civil rights attorneys and nonprofit lawyers to the federal bench during his first year in office than any other president, increasing not just the racial and gender diversity of the federal judiciary but also the range of professional expertise. And it's possible that theme will continue as he looks to make more history by nominating the first Black woman to the nation's highest court.

While three of the current justices have experience as prosecutors, none was a criminal defense attorney. The last justice with serious experience in defense was Thurgood Marshall, a civil rights attorney nominated about 55 years ago. He was the first Black person on the court and retired in 1991.

Some of the women on Biden’s list of potential nominees have deep public defense or civil rights backgrounds: Ketanji Brown Jackson, 51, for example, worked as a public defender and served on the U.S. Sentencing Commission before she was nominated to the bench by President Barack Obama. Eunice Lee, 51, whom Biden named to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit in August, is the first former federal defender to serve on that court.

Biden's judicial appointments thus far make clear his interest in professional diversity.

Nearly 30% of Biden’s nominees to the federal bench have been public defenders, 24% have been civil rights lawyers and 8% labor attorneys. By the end of his first year, Biden had won confirmation of 40 judges, the most since President Ronald Reagan. Of those, 80% are women and 53% are people of color, according to the White House.

"It's so important to have a diversity of perspectives and having the judiciary really reflect the diversity of lived experiences and perspectives of the folks who are coming before them," said Lisa Cylar Barrett, director of policy at the NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund.

The Supreme Court hears only a fraction of federal cases filed each year. Federal judges are hearing most of the cases, with roughly 400,000 cases filed in federal trial courts a year. The high court hears only about 150 of the more than 7,000 cases it is asked to review annually.

Most of the judges appointed to the federal bench have worked as prosecutors, corporate attorneys or both. A survey three years ago found more than 73% of sitting federal judges were men, and more than 80% were white, according to the Center for American Progress.

A diversity of professional expertise makes for a more fair and just bench, advocates say. Judges draw on their personal histories to help them weigh arguments and decide cases, and they also learn from each other. Public defenders often represent the indigent and the marginalized, those who often can’t afford their own attorneys.

“They represent the 80% percent of people in the criminal legal system too low-income to afford a lawyer,” said Emily Galvin-Almanza, a former public defender who founded the nonprofit Partners for Justice. “So when you put a public defender on the bench, you're putting a person on who listens with a very different ear. You have a person on the bench with an experience of the realities of very, very disempowered people.”

Biden's brief time as a public defender isn't widely discussed, and it isn't listed in his official biography on the White House website. He’s more prone to talk about his 36 years as a senator and his time as head of the Judiciary Committee, where he oversaw six Supreme Court nominations.

But the president has spoken at times about his brief time as a public defender before he became a U.S. senator at the age of 29. It's informed some of his decisions in office, like directing federal grant money for public defense and expanding other federal efforts on public defense.

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,931
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

lol  I love picturing Biden giving away pipes.  Like he just is gonna have a bag of crack pipes and walk around to drug addled citizens handing them out like halloween candy.
    Throwing them at people like toilet paper rolls. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

lol, that is a funny visual. And there were some funny memes about it. I saw one where Oprah was like "You get a crackpipe! You get a crackpipe! Everyone gets a crackpipe!" And of course there were some Hunter Biden memes. 

But nevertheless, what's false is false. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    Hamsterdam worked

Damn right, Bunny!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

Biden puts focus on drug prices as he tries to revive agenda
    By CHRIS MEGERIAN
    40 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is trying to jump-start progress on his stalled domestic agenda by refocusing attention on one of his most popular proposals, limiting the cost of prescription drugs.

Biden is traveling on Thursday to Culpeper, Virginia, where White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the president will call attention to the “unacceptable” cost of medications.

“We need to act to stop the abuse of American families," she said.

Biden’s trip to Virginia will also be an opportunity for him to start promoting his party’s candidates in November’s midterm elections. He’s expected to appear alongside Rep. Abigail Spanberger, D-Va., who is in danger of losing her seat representing a central Virginia district.

“He is eager to go out there and hit the road for Democrats who are fighting for an agenda for the American people,” Psaki said Wednesday.

Spanberger said in an interview Thursday that she wants to put prescription drug costs “at front and center of the discussion," and that addressing the issue could help Americans at a time of rising inflation.

continues...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

response?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

response?
    Basically the same as mine. "Oh okay, I was wrong." 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,319
    Even if it did/does contain clean drug needles/pipes, I don't see the issue. You have to start somewhere. Most people are ok ignoring these castaways of our society unless they make their way in to their neighborhood, which they usually don't so when they see that the government is funding clean kits (for drugs, sex or whatever the at risk activity) they get on their soap box to yell about something they know nothing about and definitely care nothing about. It's not meant to stop the drug problem, it's meant to help prevent/mitigate the risk of disease spread among this population. And maybe, just maybe, getting them in contact with the individuals providing these kits may eventually lead to them getting the help they need and changing their current path to death by drugs, alcohol or disease. We have to do something.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    I'm guessing that any right winger that is using the "free crackpipe" outrage has likely signed off on bills with similar provisions in the past.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    edited February 2022
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article258225703.html

When asked what the safe smoking kits would specifically include, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said they “may contain alcohol swabs, lip balm, other materials to promote hygiene and reduce the transmission of diseases like HIV and hepatitis.”

No federal funding will be used directly or through subsequent reimbursement of grantees to put pipes in safe smoking kits,” HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra and the Office of National Drug Control Policy Director Dr. Rahul Gupta said in a statement Feb. 9. “The goal of harm reduction is to save lives.” The program is meant to “support community-based overdose prevention programs, syringe services programs, and other harm reduction services,” according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a branch of HHS that’s in charge of the grant program. It’s authorized under President Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan Act, according to the grant document. The agency said the funding is going “to enhance overdose and other types of prevention activities to help control the spread of infectious diseases and the consequences of such diseases for individuals with, or at risk of developing substance use disorders.” A day before Becerra’s statement, news suggesting the false claim spread rapidly and unleashed waves of criticism from conservatives including Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, who wrote on Twitter the president “is sending free meth & crack pipes to minority communities in the name of ‘racial equity.’”

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

When asked what the safe smoking kits would specifically include, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said they “may contain alcohol swabs, lip balm, other materials to promote hygiene and reduce the transmission of diseases like HIV and hepatitis.”

No federal funding will be used directly or through subsequent reimbursement of grantees to put pipes in safe smoking kits,” HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra and the Office of National Drug Control Policy Director Dr. Rahul Gupta said in a statement Feb. 9. “The goal of harm reduction is to save lives.” The program is meant to “support community-based overdose prevention programs, syringe services programs, and other harm reduction services,” according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a branch of HHS that’s in charge of the grant program. It’s authorized under President Joe Biden’s American Rescue Plan Act, according to the grant document. The agency said the funding is going “to enhance overdose and other types of prevention activities to help control the spread of infectious diseases and the consequences of such diseases for individuals with, or at risk of developing substance use disorders.” A day before Becerra’s statement, news suggesting the false claim spread rapidly and unleashed waves of criticism from conservatives including Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, who wrote on Twitter the president “is sending free meth & crack pipes to minority communities in the name of ‘racial equity.’”

Wait... so Biden ISN'T sending free meth to American homes? OR crack pipes? 

Huh. 
  • Options

Huh. 
    I heard they’re in the covid testing kits that are being mailed out.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Huh. 
    I heard they’re in the covid testing kits that are being mailed out.

Only to "minority communities" tho, in the name of "racial equity".