Options

Nate Silver 538

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mrussel1 said:
    Assuming all states vote the same as 2016, but Biden wins WI and MI, as 538 puts both about 95% Biden-

If that’s true, looking at swing states, Trump must SWEEP the following states that show either Biden ahead or very close-
    PA NC FL GA AZ TX IA OH. Trump must go 8 for 8 in these states. 

Now if these were real odds like betting football it would be close to impossible. But elections are more like high or low tide, they tend to move together. Which is why I was skeptical of putting “odds” on an election, but this comment is here to portray optimism. 
    All comes down to PA then and the fuckery. To me I view none of those in the Dems' favor, other than PA and maybe AZ & NC. Otherwise, the rest just make me feel good that turnout is high - I just don't know if it's enough in those historically Red states.
    I don't think it does.  Lerx has it right.  I would give AZ as good of a chance for Biden as PA.  The demos are changing.  

I was talking to two friends in Scottsdale, I really want to believe, I really do. I think it's a consistent Blue state in another 10 years, but I just won't believe it until I see it.

In ten years?  There won't be "blue" by then.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Assuming all states vote the same as 2016, but Biden wins WI and MI, as 538 puts both about 95% Biden-

If that’s true, looking at swing states, Trump must SWEEP the following states that show either Biden ahead or very close-

Now if these were real odds like betting football it would be close to impossible. But elections are more like high or low tide, they tend to move together. Which is why I was skeptical of putting “odds” on an election, but this comment is here to portray optimism. 
    All comes down to PA then and the fuckery. To me I view none of those in the Dems' favor, other than PA and maybe AZ & NC. Otherwise, the rest just make me feel good that turnout is high - I just don't know if it's enough in those historically Red states.
    I don't think it does.  Lerx has it right.  I would give AZ as good of a chance for Biden as PA.  The demos are changing.  

I was talking to two friends in Scottsdale, I really want to believe, I really do. I think it's a consistent Blue state in another 10 years, but I just won't believe it until I see it.

LMAO. your posts get all the more ridiculous every day. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Is this schtick for for you? Are you this nervous/negative in real life? lol Sorry I just can't tell if you are serious or not...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited October 2020
    The 'problem' is the older population is dying, and the fundamentalist churchgoing population is decreasing.  Republicans have had a major need to rethink their message and platform.  I felt like the Romney election loss solidified the need and we may see a revision of the Republicans to join modern times.  They need younger voters.  Listen to conservative talk radio or watch foxnews.  So many commercials are geared toward old, gullible, and paranoid people.  THE DOLLAR IS CRASHING.  ILL TELL YOU HOW TO BUY GOLD.  PAY FOR MY BOOK IN 4 INSTALLMENTS OF $35 AND ILL TELL YOU HOW.

So instead of changing their message that the majority of the country rejects, they just triple down on their worst impulses and get in bed with Donald Trump.  They are almost incapable of winning a national election anymore in any conventional manner.  So instead of growing their base, they just made the diminishing base more angry.  They have used the flag as a shield, but pretend they honor it.  Same with Veterans.  Its a disgrace.

I guess their only hope is to basically fix the rules for voting, to make sure less people can vote.  Erode the separation of powers (they have absolutely packed the Federal Courts with political operatives who are completely unqualified).  We are at a huge crossroads here.  More importantly, a Biden administration would need to get cracking on Election Security, Campaign reform, Voter security, etc...

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    mrussel1 said:

The last senate election was a glimpse of the future.  The sun belt in general is changing.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Is this schtick for for you? Are you this nervous/negative in real life? lol Sorry I just can't tell if you are serious or not...
    I believe this with all my heart. I have read some on authoritarian states and that's the way we're going. You don't need a majority to want it.  You don't need the supporters of the despot to believe it's what they want. Bit by bit it happens and the people are dragged every step of the way. 

That all said, I do vent here sometimes because I know how it would impact people in my real life if I constantly acted like this.  So I do some "anonymous" venting, if you will.  But do I believe one-party authoritarianism is on the table? Absolutely.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I believe this with all my heart. I have read some on authoritarian states and that's the way we're going. You don't need a majority to want it.  You don't need the supporters of the despot to believe it's what they want. Bit by bit it happens and the people are dragged every step of the way. 

That all said, I do vent here sometimes because I know how it would impact people in my real life if I constantly acted like this.  So I do some "anonymous" venting, if you will.  But do I believe one-party authoritarianism is on the table? Absolutely.
    even if trump somehow wins, many of his supporters in the senate are in serious trouble in this election, far more republicans than democrats are in danger. that should tell you something. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

The last senate election was a glimpse of the future.  The sun belt in general is changing.
    Absolutely, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just like 50/50 on it right now. Maybe 60/40 at best.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I don't man. Biden's up at least 8% nationally...if that holds, he'll win the popular vote by about 12 million + people. That's not just a majority, that's a really really large majority. I think you tend to be swayed a lot by the really vocal minority. 

I understand the concern, believe me, but this country is better than that. You'll see next week. Have faith. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

even if trump somehow wins, many of his supporters in the senate are in serious trouble in this election, far more republicans than democrats are in danger. that should tell you something. 
    It tells me that the majority of American citizens are not on the Trump Train. They don't need a majority...

Also, with all the shenanigans (or, as we're calling it on other threads, "fuckery") going on, it's not just the president but some of the Senate seats that can change. Shock-Jock jackass Jason Lewis may benefit from the fuckery in Minnesota, for example.
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It tells me that the majority of American citizens are not on the Trump Train. They don't need a majority...

Also, with all the shenanigans (or, as we're calling it on other threads, "fuckery") going on, it's not just the president but some of the Senate seats that can change. Shock-Jock jackass Jason Lewis may benefit from the fuckery in Minnesota, for example.
    My point is I think the election might not be as close as people think next week. The shenanigans people are concerned about that can swing the election to Trump can only happen if the margins are razor thin like last time. I don't think that will be the case. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Absolutely, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just like 50/50 on it right now. Maybe 60/40 at best.
    60/40 feels right, if it's even possible to put a % on how people vote.  But agreed. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

60/40 feels right, if it's even possible to put a % on how people vote.  But agreed. 

Its not just AZ. How about TX? If my maths are correct, the state population went up 1.2 million since Clinton lost to trump, and all of that growth is in the 4 metro areas that are now solid blue (Hou, Dal, Aus, SA) and Ft Worth was 50/50 in the midterms.

Not only has the population gone up, but Hillary , a loser, outperformed Obama on a % basis in these locations. TX seems to be only a matter of time, and more of an eventuality than AZ. Hopefully this is the year. But AZ could be sooner ( but eventually more competitive, as TX could be a serious lean D state down the road if these cities continue to grow and become diverse).
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Its not just AZ. How about TX? If my maths are correct, the state population went up 1.2 million since Clinton lost to trump, and all of that growth is in the 4 metro areas that are now solid blue (Hou, Dal, Aus, SA) and Ft Worth was 50/50 in the midterms.

Not only has the population gone up, but Hillary , a loser, outperformed Obama on a % basis in these locations. TX seems to be only a matter of time, and more of an eventuality than AZ. Hopefully this is the year. But AZ could be sooner ( but eventually more competitive, as TX could be a serious lean D state down the road if these cities continue to grow and become diverse).
    It just seems like TX will go blue....I just can't imagine that tRump's turnout will be higher than 2016 and we know Biden's turnout will beat Clinton's.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It just seems like TX will go blue....I just can't imagine that tRump's turnout will be higher than 2016 and we know Biden's turnout will beat Clinton's.
    Blue tsunami....set to wash over this entire country. Hang on Steve, we're coming in for a landing...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    A few things re: PA below:

This guy runs a local city site for elections, but it's really good. And tells you all you really need to know. There's no "shift" that'll happen, just possibly uncounted votes:

https://jtannen.github.io/election_hub_test.html

Then this, fucking boooo:

And this regarding more fuckery and the narrative:

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    edited October 2020
    MayDay10 said:
    The 'problem' is the older population is dying, and the fundamentalist churchgoing population is decreasing.  Republicans have had a major need to rethink their message and platform.  I felt like the Romney election loss solidified the need and we may see a revision of the Republicans to join modern times.  They need younger voters.  Listen to conservative talk radio or watch foxnews.  So many commercials are geared toward old, gullible, and paranoid people.  THE DOLLAR IS CRASHING.  ILL TELL YOU HOW TO BUY GOLD.  PAY FOR MY BOOK IN 4 INSTALLMENTS OF $35 AND ILL TELL YOU HOW.

So instead of changing their message that the majority of the country rejects, they just triple down on their worst impulses and get in bed with Donald Trump.  They are almost incapable of winning a national election anymore in any conventional manner.  So instead of growing their base, they just made the diminishing base more angry.  They have used the flag as a shield, but pretend they honor it.  Same with Veterans.  Its a disgrace.

I guess their only hope is to basically fix the rules for voting, to make sure less people can vote.  Erode the separation of powers (they have absolutely packed the Federal Courts with political operatives who are completely unqualified).  We are at a huge crossroads here.  More importantly, a Biden administration would need to get cracking on Election Security, Campaign reform, Voter security, etc...

I think that all the Republican party needs to do to remain strong is to appeal to stupidity.  Why?  Because well educated people are and have been reproducing in lower numbers.  This all started with the boomer generation, the "upwardly mobile" "dinks"  (dual income/ no kids) were either aware that the human population was getting to large, or they just wanted more time for leisure, or more time to amass larger and larger sums of money through working longer hours.  America is getting more and more stupid and Republicans knows it and appeal to that group of people.  I honestly don't see how that is going to turn around.  If I wrong about all this, please someone prove it to me!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

This guy runs a local city site for elections, but it's really good. And tells you all you really need to know. There's no "shift" that'll happen, just possibly uncounted votes:

The good news is the media is going to be extra careful about calling it prematurely. And if Trump is really up by 13%, no reasonable person will think that's the end result. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179

The good news is the media is going to be extra careful about calling it prematurely. And if Trump is really up by 13%, no reasonable person will think that's the end result. 
    i will bet you fox and oann will call it early for trump. just like fox called florida way too early for bush in 2000. they need to do this to sow doubt in the election and the results.

they can always come out later and do a mea culpa if biden ends up winning. look what fox is doing now with the hunter biden "documents".
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My point is I think the election might not be as close as people think next week. The shenanigans people are concerned about that can swing the election to Trump can only happen if the margins are razor thin like last time. I don't think that will be the case. 
    I agree.  If it hadn't happened like it did in 2016 I think most people would be saying this is going to be a thrashing.  I try to think of it logically.  Trump has gained no supporters since 2016 and the non-Trump side has gained millions of people to their side.  The turnout from the non-Trump side is already showing that it will be massive.  Logically Biden wins big.

Now if I'm wrong I may jump off the Ben Franklin bridge (not really) but think if you put away the 2016 bias, the logic dictates Biden big.
  • Options

i will bet you fox and oann will call it early for trump. just like fox called florida way too early for bush in 2000. they need to do this to sow doubt in the election and the results.

they can always come out later and do a mea culpa if biden ends up winning. look what fox is doing now with the hunter biden "documents".
    The news side of Fox isn't terrible.  Their polling is pretty good and they were the first ones to call the House as a flip in 2018.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

The news side of Fox isn't terrible.  Their polling is pretty good and they were the first ones to call the House as a flip in 2018.  
    but still. if there are shenanigans on nov 3, 4, 5, etc, you can bet that fox news will be involved in shenanigans.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

Haha, no one actually listens to that stuff tho - it'll be the Natural Born Killers Robert Downey Jr.-heads high stepping like Neon Deion on the way to the endzone.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    The door could be pretty much slammed on election night with Florida
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    i dunno man. i do not trust florida at all. especially with their current governor.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

but still. if there are shenanigans on nov 3, 4, 5, etc, you can bet that fox news will be involved in shenanigans.
    If? There's going to be all kinds of shenanigans. And lawsuits. They're going to steal this thing unless its an overwhelming EC, counted vote, win for Sleepy Woke Joe Basement Biden.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

If? There's going to be all kinds of shenanigans. And lawsuits. They're going to steal this thing unless its an overwhelming EC, counted vote, win for Sleepy Woke Joe Basement Biden.
    if he wins can we stop calling him sleepy woke joe basement biden? that is some trump shit and trump will be irrelevant.

• Options

OANN will but I doubt Fox will. Sean Hannity doesn't run the network. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    i dunno man. i do not trust florida at all. especially with their current governor.
    Turnout numbers in Miami Dade don't look good so far.  I don't think Biden wins FL. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148

They had clips before of 2000 and FL was one of the first states NBC called, then quickly retracted. Unreal how low their standards were for calling such an important race so early. Then they showed the famous Tim Russert Florida Florida Florida moment.