Kamala Harris - VP Pick

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    edited August 2020
    Birtherism already started, with some in the GOP claiming that Harris is not eligible to be president because her parents were not citizens at the time of her birth, although that is not a requirement for citizenship. 

It's so desperate. Maybe some reading comprehension lessons would help. I'd suggest the RNC offer those immediately. The 14th amendment is very clear. She was born in Oakland, CA. She's an American citizen and hopefully, with all my heart, a future VP of the USA. :)
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Birtherism already started, with some in the GOP claiming that Harris is not eligible to be president because her parents were not citizens at the time of her birth, although that is not a requirement for citizenship. 
    Creepy old white guy at the grocery store comes up to me Last night and asks “Did you know that that woman Kamala Harris that Joe Biden picked for VP is a Hindu?”  I said I dont what her religion is  Nor do I care, but she is 1000 times better than trump.    So The whisper campaign is already happening On the street level.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Kat said:

It's so desperate. Maybe some reading comprehension lessons would help. I'd suggest the RNC offer those immediately. The 14th amendment is very clear. She was born in Oakland, CA. She's an American citizen and hopefully, with all my heart, a future VP of the USA. :)

Reading comprehension would only hurt the GOP, why would they do that?

Remember, they love the uneducated.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,730
    static111 said:
    Creepy old white guy at the grocery store comes up to me Last night and asks “Did you know that that woman Kamala Harris that Joe Biden picked for VP is a Hindu?”  I said I dont what her religion is  Nor do I care, but she is 1000 times better than trump.    So The whisper campaign is already happening On the street level.
    The majority of those votes are already lost. Fuck em. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,986
    Is any official in the GOP saying this? When I tried to look up who is making this claim it kept coming back to some random
     nobody making a Facebook post. I haven’t see anyone officially associated with the GOP make this claim. If so, that would be pretty desperate.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    mace1229 said:
    Is any official in the GOP saying this? When I tried to look up who is making this claim it kept coming back to some random
     nobody making a Facebook post. I haven’t see anyone officially associated with the GOP make this claim. If so, that would be pretty desperate.
    Facebook is seriously the worst.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:

Trump's senior legal adviser to his campaign has tweeted on this.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I still haven’t found anything. Only comment from a sr legal advisor ive seen was that she sounds like Marge Simpson. Every search I make about she is ineligible comes back to the same FB post. Or coming back to how Tucker is racist because he mispronounced her name 2 days ago- but no mention how Biden mispronounced it exactly the same way in yesterday’s announcement speech.
    mace1229 said:
    I still haven’t found anything. Only comment from a sr legal advisor ive seen was that she sounds like Marge Simpson. Every search I make about she is ineligible comes back to the same FB post. Or coming back to how Tucker is racist because he mispronounced her name 2 days ago- but no mention how Biden mispronounced it exactly the same way in yesterday’s announcement speech.

Kamala Harris has been Joe Biden’s running mate for less than a week, but the birthers are already questioning whether she’s constitutionally eligible to ever be president. 

On Tuesday, a day after the former vice president announced that the California senator would be his running mate, Newsweek ran an op-ed questioning Harris’ eligibility. The argument by John Eastman, a law professor at Chapman University and a failed GOP candidate, centers around the status of Harris’ parents. 

“Her father was (and is) a Jamaican national, her mother was from India, and neither was a naturalized U.S. citizen at the time of Harris’ birth in 1964,” he wrote. 

Harris’ parents met as graduate students at the University of California, Berkeley. Her father, an economist, immigrated from Jamaica; her mother, a cancer researcher, immigrated from India. 

Harris was born in California and is therefore a U.S. citizen. 

Another post that received a couple of thousand shares on Facebook also said Harris cannot become president if Biden is unable to serve out his term, because she is “an anchor baby, mother is from India, father is Jamaican, and neither were American citizens at time of her birth.”

The president of the right-wing group Judicial Watch tweeted Chapman’s piece, and it has been picked up by President Donald Trump’s campaign. Jenna Ellis, a senior legal adviser to the Trump campaign, retweeted that post. 

“It’s an open question, and one I think Harris should answer so the American people know for sure she is eligible,” Ellis told ABC News

(article continues in link)

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/kamala-harris-birthers_n_5f3551c8c5b6fc009a62cb8e?ri18n=true&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaHVmZnBvc3QuY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAL4b2EaX2Edq6zxmOqwFa8eKn8_3JuRofIy6mYu0b2Em795jPoLj8L4Y8uBSc-JSQfDl_W2i0oSgeJFiWuLlGzI0CBtGxNuK__sxxyVu8RZXBU4d6pMrpH3Y8A0vcK8BQYtqi8CvrUK7wqqGEc5cQ41yraeEAKADeMJOfk-46QzQ
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    mace1229 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the birtherism thing is coming from an Op-ed by Dr. John Eastman in Newsweek, and a separate attempt to defend his op-ed from others at Newsweek.

& fwiw, Tucker Carlson has an extensive track record of racist dog whistling... he's made his bed, he can lie in it.

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822

Obviously the Party of Trump and and its Ministry of Propaganda, Q Anan, know this, but since all they really have is the culture war, this makes her look just a bit "less American." Sadly, it'll probably be at least a bit effective.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    mace1229 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the birtherism thing is coming from an Op-ed by Dr. John Eastman in Newsweek, and a separate attempt to defend his op-ed from others at Newsweek.

& fwiw, Tucker Carlson has an extensive track record of racist dog whistling... he's made his bed, he can lie in it.

Yes, picked up and retweeted by campaign officials
    mace1229 said:

Tucker refused to pronounce it correctly when he was corrected, got angry about the correction, said "whatever" about the idea of pronouncing someone's name correctly, and segued into "I love the idea that she's immune to criticism".

So yeah, at the very least intentionally disrespectful, and I think based on his history we can draw conclusions as to why he refused to pronounce it correctly. 
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    https://www.newsweek.com/editors-note-eastmans-newsweek-column-has-nothing-do-racist-birtherism-1524800

This posting below is a reply to the above article in Newsweek, not the original Eastman article. 

Greygal
    14 hours ago

John Eastman stepped down as Dean at the Fowler School of Law to run for Attorney General and lost to Kamala Harris.  Funny how neither the original article and this editor's note both fail to mention this.

Furthermore, you state Eastman "has LITIGATED countless cases at the Supreme Court".  This is misleading, if not outright false.  He has FILED amicus curiae briefs ("friend of the court" briefs) on behalf of the Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence about 140 times.  Filing amicus curiae briefs is NOT the same as LITIGATED.  

The Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence is the public interest law arm of the Claremont Institute.  John Eastman is a director of the Claremont Institute, and the founding director of the Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence.

While I was able to find only two times that Eastman *litigated* and argued a case in front of the Supreme Court, the bio page for Eastman on the Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence states that Eastman "has represented more than 20 parties before the Supreme Court of the United States."  It does not state how many cases those 20 parties were involved in.
    Falling down,...not staying down
    mace1229 said:

Tucker refused to pronounce it correctly when he was corrected, got angry about the correction, said "whatever" about the idea of pronouncing someone's name correctly, and segued into "I love the idea that she's immune to criticism".

So yeah, at the very least intentionally disrespectful, and I think based on his history we can draw conclusions as to why he refused to pronounce it correctly. 
    I thought Tucker’s response was very childish, immature and disrespectful. 
    I also found it hilarious Biden pronounced it exactly the same way the next day.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I also found it hilarious Biden pronounced it exactly the same way the next day.
    Yes and yes. 

I don’t get why Tucker does that intentionally with Don Lemon either. He calls him Don Le-mon. I think Lemon deserves criticism like any of these cable news hosts (including Tucker), but when Tucker calls him that, it looks personal and undermines the criticism he’s trying to make. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Biden has an excuse, though in that he's senile and a times appears to be re-enacting Weekend at Bernie's.  Tucker not only mispronounced it; he doubled-down.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Biden has an excuse, though in that he's senile and a times appears to be re-enacting Weekend at Bernie's.  Tucker not only mispronounced it; he doubled-down.
    While I still believe his response was immature, I’m not convinced mispronouncing it was intentional.
    I’ve heard several people pronounce it the same way. Including a pre-taped segment today on CBS This Morning where it could have easily been dubbed before airing. 
    But the outrage the other media sources had just made it funny when Biden did the same thing. If not for that, I wouldn’t have thought about it once today.
    But being senile to the point you can’t pronounce your running mate when you make your announcement is a scary excuse when you’re running for president. It’s going to be another election of not who do you want for president, but who are you voting against. Shocking and sad that is the best they could come up with in 3 years.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

While I still believe his response was immature, I’m not convinced mispronouncing it was intentional.
    I’ve heard several people pronounce it the same way. Including a pre-taped segment today on CBS This Morning where it could have easily been dubbed before airing. 
    But the outrage the other media sources had just made it funny when Biden did the same thing. If not for that, I wouldn’t have thought about it once today.
    But being senile to the point you can’t pronounce your running mate when you make your announcement is a scary excuse when you’re running for president. It’s going to be another election of not who do you want for president, but who are you voting against. Shocking and sad that is the best they could come up with in 3 years.
    Can't pronounce it?  Or just wasn't told the proper pronunciation?

My wife's name is Lana (Lan - uh) but people will pronounce it (Lawn - uh) or (Lain - uh).  That doesn't make them senile.  It means they haven't been corrected yet
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,275
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Still better than what we have at the present moment! 

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

My wife's name is Lana (Lan - uh) but people will pronounce it (Lawn - uh) or (Lain - uh).  That doesn't make them senile.  It means they haven't been corrected yet
    Oh come on. He’s debated against her, had her vetted for VP, and (presumably) has spoken to her in private leading up to the selection. I’m sure people that know your wife personally know how to pronounce her name. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Oh come on. He’s debated against her, had her vetted for VP, and (presumably) has spoken to her in private leading up to the selection. I’m sure people that know your wife personally know how to pronounce her name. 
    You beat me to this. Exactly. If he didn’t bother finding out how to pronounce her name, how hard did he really dig before picking a VP? That’s pretty much step 1 in vetting.
    He either knew and made a mistake, or was told that morning who he was going to pick and didn’t ask any questions.
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

No one was outraged that Carlson mispronounced the name, the issue was that he refused to pronounce it properly when corrected, which is a totally different ball of wax. Why would there have been any point in being outraged at Biden, when he corrected himself immediately? 
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

No one was outraged that Carlson mispronounced the name, the issue was that he refused to pronounce it properly when corrected, which is a totally different ball of wax. Why would there have been any point in being outraged at Biden, when he corrected himself immediately? 
    I never said we should be outraged at Biden. All I said was it’s funny after everything that happened with Tucker that Biden makes the same mistake like 12 hours later.
    Its funny, that’s all.

You wouldn’t laugh if a person walks out of the office and steps into a deep puddle and soaks his shoes. Then the next guy watched this all happen and still steps in the same puddle?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,215
    Mace, come on buddy. Tucker did it purposefully as he does often on his show to folks he doesn't like. It's an immature feature of his show. To compare that with a mispronunciation by Biden is quite a stretch, especially after Tucker mocked the guy who corrected him and still mispronounced it afterwards. 

Outrage? Which right wing pundit told you there was outrage over it? lol 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I never said we should be outraged at Biden. All I said was it’s funny after everything that happened with Tucker that Biden makes the same mistake like 12 hours later.
    Its funny, that’s all.

You wouldn’t laugh if a person walks out of the office and steps into a deep puddle and soaks his shoes. Then the next guy watched this all happen and still steps in the same puddle?

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

lol yeah I’m not voting for Biden because he miss pronounced her name..

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    So name shaming is okay now?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,215
    unreal
    chinese-happy.jpg
    unreal
    lol