Kamala Harris - VP Pick

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,736
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I still haven’t found anything. Only comment from a sr legal advisor ive seen was that she sounds like Marge Simpson. Every search I make about she is ineligible comes back to the same FB post. Or coming back to how Tucker is racist because he mispronounced her name 2 days ago- but no mention how Biden mispronounced it exactly the same way in yesterday’s announcement speech.

Tucker refused to pronounce it correctly when he was corrected, got angry about the correction, said "whatever" about the idea of pronouncing someone's name correctly, and segued into "I love the idea that she's immune to criticism".

So yeah, at the very least intentionally disrespectful, and I think based on his history we can draw conclusions as to why he refused to pronounce it correctly. 
    I thought Tucker’s response was very childish, immature and disrespectful. 
    I also found it hilarious Biden pronounced it exactly the same way the next day.

Biden has an excuse, though in that he's senile and a times appears to be re-enacting Weekend at Bernie's.  Tucker not only mispronounced it; he doubled-down.
    While I still believe his response was immature, I’m not convinced mispronouncing it was intentional.
    I’ve heard several people pronounce it the same way. Including a pre-taped segment today on CBS This Morning where it could have easily been dubbed before airing. 
    But the outrage the other media sources had just made it funny when Biden did the same thing. If not for that, I wouldn’t have thought about it once today.
    But being senile to the point you can’t pronounce your running mate when you make your announcement is a scary excuse when you’re running for president. It’s going to be another election of not who do you want for president, but who are you voting against. Shocking and sad that is the best they could come up with in 3 years.
    Can't pronounce it?  Or just wasn't told the proper pronunciation?

My wife's name is Lana (Lan - uh) but people will pronounce it (Lawn - uh) or (Lain - uh).  That doesn't make them senile.  It means they haven't been corrected yet
    Oh come on. He’s debated against her, had her vetted for VP, and (presumably) has spoken to her in private leading up to the selection. I’m sure people that know your wife personally know how to pronounce her name. 
    lol yeah I’m not voting for Biden because he miss pronounced her name..

Another lost vote for Joe!? It’s gonna be four more years of the buffoon at this rate. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020
    Mace, come on buddy. Tucker did it purposefully as he does often on his show to folks he doesn't like. It's an immature feature of his show. To compare that with a mispronunciation by Biden is quite a stretch, especially after Tucker mocked the guy who corrected him and still mispronounced it afterwards. 

Outrage? Which right wing pundit told you there was outrage over it? lol 
    I agree his response was immature. He should have thanked him and moved on. But the fact I’ve seen/heard many other people not on Fox pronounce it the same way makes me think maybe he didn’t know and just lost his temper after being corrected. 
    No one told me there was outrage, that’s me referring to the number of people calling him racist over it. Even if it was on purpose, which I’m not convinced due to the number of people still pronouncing it that way, he makes fun of everyone on the left. It’s not about race, it’s about politics.
    As immature as he was 2 days ago, the remarks his guest made last night after talking about it with a guest were much worse and potentially racist, which he laughed along with.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,326
    So name shaming is okay now?
    unreal
    lol 
    Kinda recall stuff like this 12 years ago too. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    What a tool. Here's what happened with Tucker:

Carlson throughout the evening repeatedly mispronounced the first name of Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who was selected by Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden to be his running mate earlier in the day. 

Richard Goodstein, who has served as an adviser to several Democratic presidential campaigns, including that of Bill Clinton, tried to give him a little help. 

“This is something that will serve you and your fellow hosts on Fox,” Goodstein said. “Her name is pronounced ‘comma’ ― like the punctuation mark ― ‘-la.’ Kamala.”

“OK,” Carlson said. “So what?” 

Goodstein replied that saying someone’s name correctly is “kind of a bare minimum” when it comes to showing respect. 

“OK, so I’m disrespecting her by mispronouncing her name unintentionally,” Carlson claimed.

Then he tried out her name two different ways before settling on “whatever” for the vice presidential candidate: “So, it begins. You’re not allowed to criticize Kamala Harris, or Kamala Harris, or whatever.”

“It’s not ‘whatever,’” Goodstein said. 

Carlson then went off on a tangent. 

“I love the idea that she’s immune from criticism,” he declared, although Goodstein said no such thing. “On this show, nobody is immune from criticism. Our political leaders must be held to account.”

As you can see, it was intentional baiting, not mis-pronunciation. Fucker Carlson, or Tucker Carlson, or whatever can shove it. That dude needs to be punched in the bow tie.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517
    jeffbr said:
    What a tool. Here's what happened with Tucker:

Carlson throughout the evening repeatedly mispronounced the first name of Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who was selected by Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden to be his running mate earlier in the day. 

Richard Goodstein, who has served as an adviser to several Democratic presidential campaigns, including that of Bill Clinton, tried to give him a little help. 

“This is something that will serve you and your fellow hosts on Fox,” Goodstein said. “Her name is pronounced ‘comma’ ― like the punctuation mark ― ‘-la.’ Kamala.”

“OK,” Carlson said. “So what?” 

Goodstein replied that saying someone’s name correctly is “kind of a bare minimum” when it comes to showing respect. 

“OK, so I’m disrespecting her by mispronouncing her name unintentionally,” Carlson claimed.

Then he tried out her name two different ways before settling on “whatever” for the vice presidential candidate: “So, it begins. You’re not allowed to criticize Kamala Harris, or Kamala Harris, or whatever.”

“It’s not ‘whatever,’” Goodstein said. 

Carlson then went off on a tangent. 

“I love the idea that she’s immune from criticism,” he declared, although Goodstein said no such thing. “On this show, nobody is immune from criticism. Our political leaders must be held to account.”

As you can see, it was intentional baiting, not mis-pronunciation. Fucker Carlson, or Tucker Carlson, or whatever can shove it. That dude needs to be punched in the bow tie.

Of course it was intentional, it’s his shtick. You have to be willfully ignorant or pretty fucking stupid to not recognize it. (Or simply arguing in bad faith)
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,319
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I still haven’t found anything. Only comment from a sr legal advisor ive seen was that she sounds like Marge Simpson. Every search I make about she is ineligible comes back to the same FB post. Or coming back to how Tucker is racist because he mispronounced her name 2 days ago- but no mention how Biden mispronounced it exactly the same way in yesterday’s announcement speech.

Tucker refused to pronounce it correctly when he was corrected, got angry about the correction, said "whatever" about the idea of pronouncing someone's name correctly, and segued into "I love the idea that she's immune to criticism".

So yeah, at the very least intentionally disrespectful, and I think based on his history we can draw conclusions as to why he refused to pronounce it correctly. 
    I thought Tucker’s response was very childish, immature and disrespectful. 
    I also found it hilarious Biden pronounced it exactly the same way the next day.

Biden has an excuse, though in that he's senile and a times appears to be re-enacting Weekend at Bernie's.  Tucker not only mispronounced it; he doubled-down.
    While I still believe his response was immature, I’m not convinced mispronouncing it was intentional.
    I’ve heard several people pronounce it the same way. Including a pre-taped segment today on CBS This Morning where it could have easily been dubbed before airing. 
    But the outrage the other media sources had just made it funny when Biden did the same thing. If not for that, I wouldn’t have thought about it once today.
    But being senile to the point you can’t pronounce your running mate when you make your announcement is a scary excuse when you’re running for president. It’s going to be another election of not who do you want for president, but who are you voting against. Shocking and sad that is the best they could come up with in 3 years.
    Can't pronounce it?  Or just wasn't told the proper pronunciation?

My wife's name is Lana (Lan - uh) but people will pronounce it (Lawn - uh) or (Lain - uh).  That doesn't make them senile.  It means they haven't been corrected yet
    Oh come on. He’s debated against her, had her vetted for VP, and (presumably) has spoken to her in private leading up to the selection. I’m sure people that know your wife personally know how to pronounce her name. 
    lol yeah I’m not voting for Biden because he miss pronounced her name..

Another lost vote for Joe!? It’s gonna be four more years of the buffoon at this rate. 
    lol yeah ok I’d vote for a pile of dog shit before voting for the current or a 3rd party candidate.

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,671
    unreal
    Whatever.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Mace, come on buddy. Tucker did it purposefully as he does often on his show to folks he doesn't like. It's an immature feature of his show. To compare that with a mispronunciation by Biden is quite a stretch, especially after Tucker mocked the guy who corrected him and still mispronounced it afterwards. 

I agree his response was immature. He should have thanked him and moved on. But the fact I’ve seen/heard many other people not on Fox pronounce it the same way makes me think maybe he didn’t know and just lost his temper after being corrected. 
    No one told me there was outrage, that’s me referring to the number of people calling him racist over it. Even if it was on purpose, which I’m not convinced due to the number of people still pronouncing it that way, he makes fun of everyone on the left. It’s not about race, it’s about politics.
    As immature as he was 2 days ago, the remarks his guest made last night after talking about it with a guest were much worse and potentially racist, which he laughed along with.
    What are you having for dinner? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020
    mace1229 said:

Not sure yet. But I hope tacos.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Not sure yet. But I hope tacos.
    The wife is making some enchilada skillet thing. Smells delicious!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    unreal
    lol 
    The whole "public shaming" thing just needs to go away, for real. It just reveals a seriously thin-skinned, emotionally fragile person. 

People mispronounce my one-syllable Anglo Saxon last name ALL THE TIME. In my childhood, they made puns and rhymes out of it to tease me. I survived the childhood. As an adult, I sometimes correct, sometimes ignore, depending on how important the potential new connection is.

We're talking about an inflection, a vowel sound, for goodness sake. Somehow, from what I've read about Harris, I really don't think she gives a damn. I think she's okay. We don't need to have this fight for her. 
  • Options
    And now Trump is wondering aloud whether or not Harris can be president.

America or Trump on 11/3. It's just that simple. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    unreal
    lol 
    The whole "public shaming" thing just needs to go away, for real. It just reveals a seriously thin-skinned, emotionally fragile person. 

People mispronounce my one-syllable Anglo Saxon last name ALL THE TIME. In my childhood, they made puns and rhymes out of it to tease me. I survived the childhood. As an adult, I sometimes correct, sometimes ignore, depending on how important the potential new connection is.

We're talking about an inflection, a vowel sound, for goodness sake. Somehow, from what I've read about Harris, I really don't think she gives a damn. I think she's okay. We don't need to have this fight for her. 
    An example like Tucker Carlson is just another pathetic “shock jock” media type trying to draw publicity to their brand.  Another reason why I don’t watch a lot of opinion pieces and shows on national media.  It’s all about getting attention.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    unreal
    lol 

Well at least your name doesn't rhyme with a part of the female anatomy
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    ^

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    ^

=)  best comment so far
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    mace1229 said:
    Today Trump said he had “heard” that Harris wasn’t born in the US. 

Is that GOP enough for you? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mace1229 said:
    Birtherism already started, with some in the GOP claiming that Harris is not eligible to be president because her parents were not citizens at the time of her birth, although that is not a requirement for citizenship. 
    Is any official in the GOP saying this? When I tried to look up who is making this claim it kept coming back to some random
     nobody making a Facebook post. I haven’t see anyone officially associated with the GOP make this claim. If so, that would be pretty desperate.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/13/902362014/trump-and-his-campaign-amplify-birther-conspiracy-against-kamala-harris

Hard to believe Trump and the GOP would stoop this low, I know.

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options

Also:

"“I heard it today that [Harris] doesn’t meet the requirements” for citizenship, Trump told reporters at the White House. “And, by the way, the lawyer that wrote that [Newsweek] piece is a very highly qualified, very talented lawyer. I have no idea if that’s right. I would have assumed the Democrats would have checked that out.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-promotes-doubts-about-kamala-harriss-citizenship/ar-BB17XEx8?ocid=ientp

wHaT eVeN iS rAcIsM

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Also:

"“I heard it today that [Harris] doesn’t meet the requirements” for citizenship, Trump told reporters at the White House. “And, by the way, the lawyer that wrote that [Newsweek] piece is a very highly qualified, very talented lawyer. I have no idea if that’s right. I would have assumed the Democrats would have checked that out.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-promotes-doubts-about-kamala-harriss-citizenship/ar-BB17XEx8?ocid=ientp

wHaT eVeN iS rAcIsM

Not white = not American
  • Options

• Options
    dignin said:

Also:

wHaT eVeN iS rAcIsM

Not white = not American

Did anyone really not think that this was coming as Round 2, given how Round 1 (Obama) went?
  • Options
    Birtherism, the Sequel - This Time It's Personal
  • Options
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Birtherism, the Sequel - Still Racist 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Bigger, Bolder, Now With Sexism!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,566
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    mace1229 said:
    Birtherism already started, with some in the GOP claiming that Harris is not eligible to be president because her parents were not citizens at the time of her birth, although that is not a requirement for citizenship. 
    Is any official in the GOP saying this? When I tried to look up who is making this claim it kept coming back to some random
     nobody making a Facebook post. I haven’t see anyone officially associated with the GOP make this claim. If so, that would be pretty desperate.

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/13/902362014/trump-and-his-campaign-amplify-birther-conspiracy-against-kamala-harris

Hard to believe Trump and the GOP would stoop this low, I know.

There is no longer a bottom to the pit in which they will sink.  The GOP (minus The Lincoln Project and a scant others) has become a shit show.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Bigger, Bolder, Now With Sexism!
    Hahahahaha
    hippiemom = goodness