Options

Kamala Harris - VP Pick

Comments

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mcgruff10 said:
    I m just reading up on her, does she consider herself African American (as I have read on fb)? I ask because her parents are from Jamaica and India.  
    Hi, McGruff.  I read this older article yesterday. It was pretty interesting:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/i-am-who-i-am-kamala-harris-daughter-of-indian-and-jamaican-immigrants-defines-herself-simply-as-american/2019/02/02/0b278536-24b7-11e9-ad53-824486280311_story.html

It's long, so I'm not going to cut and paste here. If you don't have a subscription, let me know, and I'll see if my share code is still available. But the general idea is that her mom, from India, embraced and immersed herself in black culture when she arrived in the US from India, so that is why Harris identifies as African American, though when asked, she says she is simply "American."  She wrote a book similar to Obama's about being biracial but does not have the angst he had growing up.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    someone is clearly suffering from SDS
    Soros 
    Derangement 
    Syndrome

Or as it is referred to in the DMS -IV....

Cuckoo for coco puffs
    I couldn't pick Soros out of a line-up if I had to. It is a hilarious obsession of some, no doubt.

He's really old.  Hopefully Q and the GOP have a replacement boogeyman ready to take over.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296

When Trump says things like she's "the kind of opponent everyone dreams of," that's when I know it was a good pick.

Yeah...so the opposite is true. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767

When Trump says things like she's "the kind of opponent everyone dreams of," that's when I know it was a good pick.

Precisely! Not to suggest Harris is the political equivalent to Jordan, but hearing trump claim Harris was the opposition he hoped for would like Shawn Kemp saying he would want to go against Jordan over anyone else in a game 7 NBA Finals. Sure, if Kemp were to win, he'd have the luxury of saying he bested Jordan. But he'd MUCH rather go into a game 7 facing Sam Bowie and the Nets.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited August 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    I m just reading up on her, does she consider herself African American (as I have read on fb)? I ask because her parents are from Jamaica and India.  
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/i-am-who-i-am-kamala-harris-daughter-of-indian-and-jamaican-immigrants-defines-herself-simply-as-american/2019/02/02/0b278536-24b7-11e9-ad53-824486280311_story.html

It's long, so I'm not going to cut and paste here. If you don't have a subscription, let me know, and I'll see if my share code is still available. But the general idea is that her mom, from India, embraced and immersed herself in black culture when she arrived in the US from India, so that is why Harris identifies as African American, though when asked, she says she is simply "American."  She wrote a book similar to Obama's about being biracial but does not have the angst he had growing up.  
    Aaah that makes sense.  Thank you for the info, I was generally confused.  So would I be correct in saying she is black but not African American? I like her but why pick someone from California? 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    Seems the stock market likes Kamala.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Aaah that makes sense.  Thank you for the info, I was generally confused.  So would I be correct in saying she is black but not African American? I like her but why pick someone from California? 
    How do you define African American? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    Seems the stock market likes Kamala.
    trump will say it is all about his executive order/memo from the other day.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,723
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

She's described as African American/ Asian American which, I believe, is referred to as Afro-Asian.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I gathered from the article that the family took on "African American" or "Black" more as a cultural identity than a racial one. Based on the article, you would be correct in saying that Harris identifies herself as an American who identifies with African American/Black culture. She herself is is not hung up on her race. She's married to a white guy, to complicate matters even more. 
    Honestly, I really wish we (Americans, the world) would just stop with this "race" construct. It's a completely made up idea, biologically speaking. And now with so many people being born to blended backgrounds, it just doesn't work anymore.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

She's described as African American/ Asian American which, I believe, is referred to as Afro-Asian.
    I was specially asking how that poster defined African American
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Oops sorry.
    Reminds, though, me of a joke though about the term savoir faire.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited August 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

To me, it makes a lot of sense. If the average voter isn't highly invested in these talks, Kamala Harris can be presented as a liberal (AG in California, helped request more money to help the state in 2008, etc.), but can also be presented as a conservative (law & order, has had rulings that aren't wholly liberal). Stating the obvious, she has dark skin, is female, is a daughter to two immigrants, would be a pioneer in a number of categories, and would represent an underdog story that's easy to get behind. Depending on your perspective, you may see some of these things as an asset, and others as a liability - but the liability can easily be ignored behind her conservative background and tough demeanour. 
    At the end of the day - it's clear that she's a good listener, it's clear that she's smart, and it's clear that she's principled. All other faults won't matter.
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

One with African roots. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Jamaica has African roots.

Big fan of the pick, though I do think there is a segment of people won't vote for them because of the chance at a black woman president, though I am sure 99% of them were already voting that way.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    OnWis97 said:
    someone is clearly suffering from SDS
    Soros 
    Derangement 
    Syndrome

Or as it is referred to in the DMS -IV....

Cuckoo for coco puffs
    I couldn't pick Soros out of a line-up if I had to. It is a hilarious obsession of some, no doubt.

He's really old.  Hopefully Q and the GOP have a replacement boogeyman ready to take over.
    Have you met Bill Gates?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    Is $26 million raised in the last 24 hours a lot of money? It seems like a lot of money. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

Big fan of the pick, though I do think there is a segment of people won't vote for them because of the chance at a black woman president, though I am sure 99% of them were already voting that way.
    Agree but would move that up to 100%
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Do Jamaicans consider themselves African Caribbean?  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Do Jamaicans consider themselves African Caribbean?  

Seems I've heard some of them refer to themselves as Yardies.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

One with African roots. 
    How far back are we talking roots? 

Because that’s everyone. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

One with African roots. 

Because that’s everyone. 
    400 years.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

One with African roots. 

Because that’s everyone. 
    Oh please stop, I was just wondering.  Moving on.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

One with African roots. 

Because that’s everyone. 
    Oh please stop, I was just wondering.  Moving on.  
    Stop why? I'm trying to understand both your question and the premise behind it, and you're not giving me much to go on.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    My top choice would have been Susan Rice, but I was pretty convinced a couple of months ago that Harris would be his choice.  Honestly, he could have nominated a bucket of hair as his running mate and I would still campaign and vote for him. #nevertrump
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    My top choice would have been Susan Rice, but I was pretty convinced a couple of months ago that Harris would be his choice.  Honestly, he could have nominated a bucket of hair as his running mate and I would still campaign and vote for him. #nevertrump
    haha. My dad said the same thing last night, only instead of bucket of hair, he said can of peas.

• Options
    i got a chill when biden introduced her yesterday. i thought her speech was really effective too.

this is the ticket. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    edited August 2020
    GlowGirl said:
    haha. My dad said the same thing last night, only instead of bucket of hair, he said can of peas.

The universal line could be "I'd be okay if he nominated (container) of (inanimate object) as his running mate."

Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    predictably, trump called her a "nasty" woman.

• Options
    I would have liked to have seen Amy K as his pick.  I just don't get what you gain by picking a candidate from California.