Options

Kamala Harris - VP Pick

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    My top choice would have been Susan Rice, but I was pretty convinced a couple of months ago that Harris would be his choice.  Honestly, he could have nominated a bucket of hair as his running mate and I would still campaign and vote for him. #nevertrump
    I would have liked to have seen Amy K as his pick.  I just don't get what you gain by picking a candidate from California.  
    Could be worse. She could be from Jersey.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    No way did I want Amy K she would of never generated as much energy as KH specially with Black female voters! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited August 2020
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My top choice would have been Susan Rice, but I was pretty convinced a couple of months ago that Harris would be his choice.  Honestly, he could have nominated a bucket of hair as his running mate and I would still campaign and vote for him. #nevertrump
    I would have liked to have seen Amy K as his pick.  I just don't get what you gain by picking a candidate from California.  
    Very true.  Serious question, is it me or are Massachusetts drivers the absolute worst? New Hampshire wins the silver.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    I guess I don't understand why the geography of the VP matters in the upcoming election.  That's potentially insinuating that because Pence is from Indiana, that he has more pull with the moderates than Harris from California?  The issue with 2016 was gerrymandering and voting suppression in the key battle states, Wisconsin especially.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Very true.  Serious question, is it me or are Massachusetts drivers the absolute worst? New Hampshire wins the silver.
    I'm in Minnesota but spent 2.5 years in Connecticut...I feel like Connecticut belongs on that podium.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm in Minnesota but spent 2.5 years in Connecticut...I feel like Connecticut belongs on that podium.

Totally agree.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    mcgruff10 said:
    biden trump thread.I posted a video. watch it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    I guess I don't understand why the geography of the VP matters in the upcoming election.  That's potentially insinuating that because Pence is from Indiana, that he has more pull with the moderates than Harris from California?  The issue with 2016 was gerrymandering and voting suppression in the key battle states, Wisconsin especially.
    The state doesn't matter as much as people think:

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Ryan--WI...blue state (at the time).
    Edwards--NC...red state at the time
    Cheney- MT...red state

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Maybe the logic is that Biden already has the liberal, democrat, and minority vote?  So what he needs is the moderates in the Rust Belt States, and Klobuchar being in Minnesota would sway the vote?  I'm asking an honest question to whomever thinks Harris brings down Biden's chances because she's from California.

• Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Maybe the logic is that Biden already has the liberal, democrat, and minority vote?  So what he needs is the moderates in the Rust Belt States, and Klobuchar being in Minnesota would sway the vote?  I'm asking an honest question to whomever thinks Harris brings down Biden's chances because she's from California.

Bingo.
  • Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Traditionally, the two candidates have won their own states.  So, in theory, selecting Klobuchar would help Biden with Minnesota. Not other states; just the one she's from. 

That said, that's far less prevalent than it used to be. Clinton and Gore I believe lost both TN and AR twice. Trump is from New York. I believe Romney lost Wisconsin (Ryan).

I think candidates are less interested in that than they were decades ago; I think they have their eyes on "balancing the ticket" rather than securing one state.  Certainly McCain wins Alaska with or without Palin...that was about gaining the hard right and he'd have probably picked her if she'd been from California or NYC. Obama chose Biden because he needed an experienced veteran to offset the "inexperienced" label. Choosing another newcomer from a swing state probably would have cost him.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Traditionally, the two candidates have won their own states.  So, in theory, selecting Klobuchar would help Biden with Minnesota. Not other states; just the one she's from. 

That said, that's far less prevalent than it used to be. Clinton and Gore I believe lost both TN and AR twice. Trump is from New York. I believe Romney lost Wisconsin (Ryan).

I think candidates are less interested in that than they were decades ago; I think they have their eyes on "balancing the ticket" rather than securing one state.  Certainly McCain wins Alaska with or without Palin...that was about gaining the hard right and he'd have probably picked her if she'd been from California or NYC. Obama chose Biden because he needed an experienced veteran to offset the "inexperienced" label. Choosing another newcomer from a swing state probably would have cost him.
    Clinton won arkansas and tennessee in 92 and 96.  Gore lost tn in 2000.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Bingo.
    I have a different opinion on why the Rust Belt was lost on Clinton in 2016.  Like I said earlier, I think it was a lot to do with voter suppression given the fairly thin differences in WI, MI and PA.  Clinton won the popular vote by over 2M, so I think it really comes down to making sure everyone who wants to vote can do so.  If Biden can carry similar support to Clinton, regardless of his VP choice (I'm pretty sure Tim Kane didn't sway anyone toward Trump/Pence) then I think he can get enough votes in those states.  A lot of the blue areas are very concentrated in each state and given all of the concerns around mail-in ballots and polling stations, that actually may be the deciding factor in this year's election.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited August 2020
    I’m not seeing the argument that Kamala is anything but a moderate/conservative.  I’m not sure what the basis is for this imaginary scenario that she is liberal.  She was a “top cop” with  a law and order background.  If you want to go any further right we might as well just have picked a republican.  If some “moderate” doesn’t vote the Biden/Harris ticket, don’t be fooled they were never a moderate and always just looking for a reason to not vote Joe and clear their conscience of supporting trump.  I’m saying this as a far left that understands that I have to make a compromise with the centrists to defeat trump. If anyone is using Kamala being a radical as an excuse to not support Biden They were for supporting the GOP all along .
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    static111 said:
    I’m not seeing the argument that Kamala is anything but a moderate/conservative.  I’m not sure what the basis is for this imaginary scenario that she is liberal.  She was a “top cop” with  a law and order background.  If you want to go any further right we might as well just have picked a republican.  If some “moderate” doesn’t vote the Biden/Harris ticket, don’t be fooled they were never a moderate and always just looking for a reason to not vote Joe and clear their conscience of supporting trump.  I’m saying this as a far left that understands that I have to make a compromise with the centrists to defeat trump. If anyone is using Kamala being a radical as an excuse to not support Biden They were for supporting the GOP all along .

I don't recall anyone referring to KH as a far left and certainly not a radical.

I'm feeling more confident about Biden/ Harris as the winners this fall.  The momentum so far is looking good!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Clinton won arkansas and tennessee in 92 and 96.  Gore lost tn in 2000.

I recall some right wing jackass saying that Clinton and Gore's states being lost tells us what America thinks.  Must have been 2000 during the agonizing post-election saga...now that I think about it, I recall thinking "who cares about Arkansas, now?"
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

I don't recall anyone referring to KH as a far left and certainly not a radical.

I'm feeling more confident about Biden/ Harris as the winners this fall.  The momentum so far is looking good!

No, but some are insinuating that moderates will swing right because of her. (which I think is nonsense... anyone who would claim she's the reason they are voting for Trump is full of shit and was planning to vote for him anyway).

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

No, but some are insinuating that moderates will swing right because of her. (which I think is nonsense... anyone who would claim she's the reason they are voting for Trump is full of shit and was planning to vote for him anyway).

Well, that makes sense.  I don't think you can call a Trump fan a "moderate".  "Bat-shit crazy" maybe, but not "moderate".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,920
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

100%

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    OnWis97 said:

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Well that's what I am saying is overrated.
    Romney lost Ryan's home state.
    Kerry lost Edwards' home state. 
    All the other states were largely red or blue states prior to the running mate selection. So the state doesn't matter as much. 

Despite being from Cali, Harris no far left liberal, just ask the far left liberals in here. Brand new polling out shows Americans view her as just slightly more to the left than Joe while still more moderate than Trump/Pence.....in other words: just right. Good selection. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Yeah...but Harris isn't a liberal. New polling shows she is not hurting his chances .
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

Yeah...but Harris isn't a liberal. New polling shows she is not hurting his chances .
    I'm not saying she's a liberal, I'm more commenting on the fact because she's not from the Rust Belt that will not attract moderate voters in that region.  Personally, I don't think that's feasible and I don't see how she is hurting his chances, or moreover that Klobuchar would raise them.  The VP isn't going to decide the 2020 election.

• Options
    Actually I'll correct my statement a bit.  If he chose this person as VP, that would probably hurt his chances.
    Georgia QAnon supporter frontrunner in Republican House primary

• Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

I'm not saying she's a liberal, I'm more commenting on the fact because she's not from the Rust Belt that will not attract moderate voters in that region.  Personally, I don't think that's feasible and I don't see how she is hurting his chances, or moreover that Klobuchar would raise them.  The VP isn't going to decide the 2020 election.

If the moderates in those regions did their homework and looked beyond the "democrat from CA" tagline, they would find a pretty moderate politician with some conservative background / policies.

If they are the type of people to let something as simple as "democrat from CA" make their decision for them, let's face it... they were probably voting for Trump anyway.

Regarding your last sentence, you're probably right, but I can personally say I'm much more enthusiastic about voting for Biden now that she's his running mate.

• Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

If the moderates in those regions did their homework and looked beyond the "democrat from CA" tagline, they would find a pretty moderate politician with some conservative background / policies.

If they are the type of people to let something as simple as "democrat from CA" make their decision for them, let's face it... they were probably voting for Trump anyway.

Regarding your last sentence, you're probably right, but I can personally say I'm much more enthusiastic about voting for Biden now that she's his running mate.

I'm enthusiastic too that she is on the ticket.  If you're like me though, your mind was already made up before she was named VP.

• Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

I agree.

Also Biden is from Scranton, PA. It's pretty rust belty up there, trust me!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

I'm enthusiastic too that she is on the ticket.  If you're like me though, your mind was already made up before she was named VP.

I think the overwhelming majority of voters' minds have been made up for some time now.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Birtherism already started, with some in the GOP claiming that Harris is not eligible to be president because her parents were not citizens at the time of her birth, although that is not a requirement for citizenship. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,879
    edited August 2020

Pence--IN....red state..
    Kaine--VA...blue state.
    Biden--DE...blue state
    Cheney- MT...red state

I think the overwhelming majority of voters' minds have been made up for some time now.
    My mind was made up November 9, 2016 - this guy has to go.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited August 2020
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    PI’m not seeing the argument that Kamala is anything but a moderate/conservative.  I’m not sure what the basis is for this imaginary scenario that she is liberal.  She was a “top cop” with  a law and order background.  If you want to go any further right we might as well just have picked a republican.  If some “moderate” doesn’t vote the Biden/Harris ticket, don’t be fooled they were never a moderate and always just looking for a reason to not vote Joe and clear their conscience of supporting trump.  I’m saying this as a far left that understands that I have to make a compromise with the centrists to defeat trump. If anyone is using Kamala being a radical as an excuse to not support Biden They were for supporting the GOP all along .

I have read many replies on this site about Harris not being moderate enough, because for some reason being from California means you can’t be a moderate or some other type argument.  As well as people saying that they can’t vote Biden now because Harris is too progressive...
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden