Options

COVID-19

Comments

• Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    I went to my climbing gym today after booking a spot online. The gym is limiting the number of climbers at any one time, so they are allowing people to book a 3 hour slot, and if the gym isn't full they will allow walk-ins as well.

From the time it reopened about 2 months ago they have been requiring everyone to wear masks, in addition to the distancing. Today I noticed on their website that masks are now only required on Mondays and Wednesdays, and are optional the other days. I asked about this when I got there, and the staff explained that with the province going from Stage 2 to Stage 3 opening, masks aren't required unless the other conditions can't be met, but that some members who are more "risk averse" balked at coming to the gym if masks were optional, so their compromise is to offer two days a week with masks on everybody. They apparently also do deep cleaning on Sunday and Tuesday nights. 

Climbers are not generally risk averse, but this is an interesting compromise and I appreciate the gym ownership making this effort.
    That’s an interesting solution. Our gyms in AZ are rumored to start opening in a couple of weeks. I’m very curious how they’ll handle everything. With our heat, gyms are a bit more of a necessity for physical and mental health. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    We need an expert on this subject.

Ooh!  Here we go!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    We need an expert on this subject.

Ooh!  Here we go!

:lol:  Both funny and scary
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I went to my climbing gym today after booking a spot online. The gym is limiting the number of climbers at any one time, so they are allowing people to book a 3 hour slot, and if the gym isn't full they will allow walk-ins as well.

From the time it reopened about 2 months ago they have been requiring everyone to wear masks, in addition to the distancing. Today I noticed on their website that masks are now only required on Mondays and Wednesdays, and are optional the other days. I asked about this when I got there, and the staff explained that with the province going from Stage 2 to Stage 3 opening, masks aren't required unless the other conditions can't be met, but that some members who are more "risk averse" balked at coming to the gym if masks were optional, so their compromise is to offer two days a week with masks on everybody. They apparently also do deep cleaning on Sunday and Tuesday nights. 

Climbers are not generally risk averse, but this is an interesting compromise and I appreciate the gym ownership making this effort.
    That’s an interesting solution. Our gyms in AZ are rumored to start opening in a couple of weeks. I’m very curious how they’ll handle everything. With our heat, gyms are a bit more of a necessity for physical and mental health. 
    My gym has been open since May and I haven't stepped foot in it.  That's one place I cannot see myself being comfortable in.  It sucks, because working out is a huge part of my life, but an indoor space with no fresh air and everyone deeply inhaling/exhaling, sweating, etc. seems like a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

• Options
    bbiggs said:

My gym has been open since May and I haven't stepped foot in it.  That's one place I cannot see myself being comfortable in.  It sucks, because working out is a huge part of my life, but an indoor space with no fresh air and everyone deeply inhaling/exhaling, sweating, etc. seems like a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

For those suffering without it (to the extent that their health is deteriorating) it’s really a lose/lose situation. Sad. Everyone is struggling in some way. 
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Gyms are disgusting even without a virus floating around.  Pass!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mca47 said:
    Gyms are disgusting even without a virus floating around.  Pass!

Disgusting? How so?

I’ve been climbing at my gym for over two years and the only negative for me was a broken ankle, but I can’t blame them for that. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Gym Bros, mahogany lockers, weird stains, and naked old dudes walking around.

A friend told me.  :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    “Asking for a friend”
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    F Me would not cut it as a gym bro. Too low of a T count. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    I needed our toilet flush fixed. I had kept temp fixing it.
    So i call our agent . They  get a plumber to call. So i start to have panic attack . Oh someone is coming in my apartment. 
    So i ask him. Can you  wear  a mask.
    He says i can if you want but i already had covid and ll my family 2 months ago. We all had the antibody test . £90each we all came back positive. 
    I was  bit more relaxed when he said that and he wore a mask on my say so.
    Nice guy.  His  wife is diabetic type 1. All survived only one elder was in icu. But all recovered.  Thankfully
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    So i call our agent . They  get a plumber to call. So i start to have panic attack . Oh someone is coming in my apartment. 
    He says i can if you want but i already had covid and ll my family 2 months ago. We all had the antibody test . £90each we all came back positive. 
    Nice guy.  His  wife is diabetic type 1. All survived only one elder was in icu. But all recovered.  Thankfully
    Did knowing someone who lived it help your anxiety in any way? 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,545

• Options
    deadendp said:
    It did at first then my brain kicked in and started  with the. "So he can still spread this  shit on his hands and on items even if no his breath.  "
    So then i went in a cleaning  mission some more.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    It did at first then my brain kicked in and started  with the. "So he can still spread this  shit on his hands and on items even if no his breath.  "
    So then i went in a cleaning  mission some more.
    I don't think extra cleaning is unreasonable given the current climate we are living in. 

However, he and his family have survived and it sounds as if 2 were high risk and despite that, only the elder was in ICU and all have recovered. Concentrate on that positive knowledge and be proud of yourself for not only taking that knowledge in, but feeling some relief from it. Your anxiety didn't delete your ability to take in the positive. That, my friend, is a very good thing. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Just got a letter from oxford university people  study.Its a random study. I can be part of a test and antibody test and get paid. 
    Im in
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Just got a letter from oxford university people  study.Its a random study. I can be part of a test and antibody test and get paid. 
    Im in
    I think that is a great opportunity for you, Rob! :plus_one:
  • Options
    I did a federal government survey months ago on Covid precautions and attitudes and checked the box saying I would be willing to be involved in an antibody research trial but have not been called. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I did a federal government survey months ago on Covid precautions and attitudes and checked the box saying I would be willing to be involved in an antibody research trial but have not been called. 
    Jerks!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Jerks!
    It’s my BLOOD, but it isn’t good enough. 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Jerks!
    It’s my BLOOD, but it isn’t good enough. 
    :rofl:
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Im in
    I think that is a great opportunity for you, Rob! :plus_one:
    Yes. As you know i had illness  and my partner  but different.  So we are desperate  to know  before  school goes bacķ for her son who lives with us. 
    This means everything to me now 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited August 2020
    And its a study over a year
     Get tested every week. Then monthly. Each time paid 25 pounds. 
    First trst and antibody i get 50 pound and they come  to me.
    If you complete all 16 appointments its about £450
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    And its a study over a year
     Get tested every week. Then monthly. Each time paid 25 pounds. 
    First trst and antibody i get 50 pound and they come  to me.
    If you complete all 16 appointments its about £450
    Since I looked it up, for our American friends it is:
    25 pounds weekly -> $32.73
    50 pound antibody test -> $65.46
    16 appointments -> $589.14 total

And knowing how you have had concerns, you probably would have done it for free. 

I hope you keep us up to date on this project. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    dankind said:
    https://medium.com/@mjacobwrites/parents-youre-being-lied-to-25646fb8634e

I think we’re just going to count out the 2020-2021 school year and home school. 
    This is the most truthful article I've read so far about what school will be like for those who open. I've been saying all of it since spring when the debate started. 

I'm really excited about teaching this year, starting on the 31st. My district delayed opening by two weeks, giving teachers two extra weeks of training (a whole month instead of just the normal two week pre-service planning). I've attended some outstanding webinars about how to make the online learning engaging and creative. We've purchased several outstanding online language arts resources that we would never have had without corona. I've learned some new tech skills that I never would have learned if I weren't in this position. My department is collaborating to share our expertise so that students will get the same quality instruction no matter who the teacher is. I'm seriously inspired to do my best teaching ever to give my students what they deserve.

None of this kind of work is getting reported in the media, though I imagine my experience is not an exception. It's all doom and gloom everywhere you read/watch, unfortunately.  I think we would all benefit by changing the story we tell ourselves. If all we hear is "our kids are ruined forever" and "online is going to be horrible," then that is what it will be. I'm choosing optimism.  I really hope you find a way to provide your kids with a stellar experience this year. 
  • Options
    I'm hearing a lot of frustration about kids needing social time, and I get it. It makes me wonder about how different kids' lives have become generationally. At least for me, a generation ago growing up in the 70s, we had neighborhood kids running the streets and playgrounds all the time, parents and neighbors supporting each other, having block parties, playing cards on Friday nights with us destroying the basement. I wonder if the way we've changed child-rearing -- i.e., parents scheduling and controlling structured activities, play dates, lessons, etc -- has exacerbated the problems they are finding with their children right now.  I wonder if this had happened to us in the 70s, if our parents would have easily been able to say -- go outside to the playground. They wouldn't have had to purchase a POD. Just the same neighborhood kids we always played with. Just a thought. Not being a parent, I'm trying to relate to this "socialization" debate, and it concerns me that socialization has come to mean "school" and paid activities guided by other adults.

I've also had to laugh -- people think they send their kid to school to socialize. No wonder we have so many problems  with academic discipline. in the classroom.

This is not a rant on parents. I know you all are working hard to raise your kids in the best way. It's just strange to me how differently we are raising kids now.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:

I think we’re just going to count out the 2020-2021 school year and home school. 
    This is the most truthful article I've read so far about what school will be like for those who open. I've been saying all of it since spring when the debate started. 

I'm really excited about teaching this year, starting on the 31st. My district delayed opening by two weeks, giving teachers two extra weeks of training (a whole month instead of just the normal two week pre-service planning). I've attended some outstanding webinars about how to make the online learning engaging and creative. We've purchased several outstanding online language arts resources that we would never have had without corona. I've learned some new tech skills that I never would have learned if I weren't in this position. My department is collaborating to share our expertise so that students will get the same quality instruction no matter who the teacher is. I'm seriously inspired to do my best teaching ever to give my students what they deserve.

None of this kind of work is getting reported in the media, though I imagine my experience is not an exception. It's all doom and gloom everywhere you read/watch, unfortunately.  I think we would all benefit by changing the story we tell ourselves. If all we hear is "our kids are ruined forever" and "online is going to be horrible," then that is what it will be. I'm choosing optimism.  I really hope you find a way to provide your kids with a stellar experience this year. 
    My doom and gloom is based on real-life struggle with my childrens' district.

I wish we lived in yours. Sounds like a well-run organization that actually prepared to educate this school year.

If I cannot afford to quit my job and teach them a nondistrict-based curriculum, then they will enjoy a gap year.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

My doom and gloom is based on real-life struggle with my childrens' district.

I wish we lived in yours. Sounds like a well-run organization that actually prepared to educate this school year.

If I cannot afford to quit my job and teach them a nondistrict-based curriculum, then they will enjoy a gap year.
    Be careful what you wish for. In normal times, there are three or four fights in the hallway everyday, kids starting fires in the bathrooms, major non-compliance issues inside the classroom, and sanctions from the DOJ because of a failed audit of special programs for English language learners. They have made good pandemic decisions, though. I give them credit for that. 

I hope it works out for you and your kids. I'm not sure how much the online school K-12 costs, but maybe check them out. I have several friends who quit local districts to go work for them. 

• Options
    Here is the link to K12 https://www.k12privateacademy.com/ for parents looking for an alternative.
    It looks like full tuition is only $5,000 a year and they're offering 10% off through August 31.  I realize $5000 may be much for some, but at least you would get an online school provided by people who know how to online school.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I bet that would be a good option for a kid that is older.  
    Unfortunately, not an option that takes much stress from caring for a 6 year old.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved