Options

COVID-19

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,552
    Sadly, I haven't found any online French Immersion here in BC. I'm worried that if I teach her from home she won't be at the same level as students who hear and learn French for 5 hours a day and won't qualify for grade 5 next year. Maybe I should discuss this with the principal?

On the plus side, online schools are free here.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,968
    edited August 2020
    I tell you whats not cool this nurse is coming  today to do our test nd antibody bloods.  But get this.
    They cannot tell us if we do have anti bodies because we may go out and cause a spike????? Wtaf is the  point of not telling someone who cant leave their  house because of fear. Fuck sake im about done with all this bollocks. So i will have to use the  money i get to go to  clinic and have a test which someone with chronic health anxiety  is never going to do.utter bullshit 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Local lockdowns are becoming common here now. And schools go back in 1 week. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    The local health department reports 16 outbreaks in our county due to high school sports, but won't disclose the high schools involved. They did state some schools have multiple outbreaks, taking sometimes more than one of the 16 outbreaks. 17 districts in the county, with multiple high schools within the Akron Public Schools. WTF? School starts back here in a week +. Disclose which schools are having issues. :angry:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,629
    Agree.  Not disclosing makes no sense to me.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The Culinary Arts program has it going on though:

We are excited to meet your student in Culinary Arts!  It has been ever changing, but we are preparing for an engaging and safe classroom setting.  I have attached  the Safety Protocols we will be using in class to keep everyone safe.  Should you have any questions or concerns, please let us know.  

In order to maintain social distancing in the lab, Culinary Arts will be following a hybrid schedule divided by school verses alphabet.  We will begin meeting the week of August 31st and will see your student  on either the M,T rotation in school or the Th, Fr rotation in school.  The other three days will be varied learning objectives online.  

Monday, Tuesday (Morning)

Wednesday - No Students  (will use this day for supply pick up)

Thursday, Friday  (Morning)

We will be having your student conduct a home inventory of equipment in the first week of school.  There may be times that we ask students to do a lab at home.  Once we determine what equipment is had, we will supplement with equipment that can be returned at the end of the school year.  Our plan as of now is to also provide supplies for labs.  We will need to know if you are able to pick up these supplies preferably on Wednesday.  

I know there are a lot of questions and we will do our best to answer them!  We will spend our time at school in the lab.  This is what our students enjoy most.  I am excited to meet everyone!!  
    - - - - 
    This e-mail made my daughter feel so much better. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,629
    That is exciting!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I don’t think the kid can play hockey this season. The league is running, but there’s really no way to avoid each other in hockey. Plus, both of her practice rinks are in high-risk cities.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I don’t think the kid can play hockey this season. The league is running, but there’s really no way to avoid each other in hockey. Plus, both of her practice rinks are in high-risk cities.
    That sucks, kids should be able to do stuff like that when they love it.  
    However, I think it is a straight decision to make, knowing a few of your factors.
    Sorry for her.  Fucking Covid.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    However, I think it is a straight decision to make, knowing a few of your factors.
    I think we can get her stick-and-helmet ice time with friends/former teammates at less risky rinks, but it certainly won’t be the same. 

My wife hasn’t come to the light on this yet, but it’s only a matter of time. If I think she’s being willfully ignorant out of love for the kiddo, I guess I’ll have to step in and lay out the facts. 

We had 431 new cases in Massachusetts yesterday. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I'm sorry, DK. :frowning:

• Options
    Its getting very bad over there  take care folk
     I mean take few risks as you can.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

We had 431 new cases in Massachusetts yesterday. 
    On more than 26,000 tests, positivity rate around 1.6%, 14 day average has been at about 1.4% ever since that small blip up to 2% when you posted that Globe article. Can't look strictly at that one number, especially not for 1 single day
    Plus 49 less people hospitalized on same day as those 431 cases reported . We have 315 folks in hospital state wide and 50 in ICU, health care system is in fine shape.
    Today only 109 new cases reported cause of some weekend upgrade by the DPH so it wasn't full 24 hours of Friday in the dashboard.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    New evidence demonstrates that an individual had two separate infections from Covid-19, involving different strains. However, he was not symptomatic with the second infection, suggesting that he did have effective immunity. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    New evidence demonstrates that an individual had two separate infections from Covid-19, involving different strains. However, he was not symptomatic with the second infection, suggesting that he did have effective immunity. 

Naturally most of the headlines out there yesterday left that part out.  That's actually really good news but the media can't help but sensationalize it and try to scare the shit out of everyone.
  • Options
  • Options
    You could’ve just left it at it’s a shame that Van Morrison.... :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    People keep testing positive but deaths and hospitalizations are really low.

This virus may have made it's rounds and the deaths may not be coming back in full swing like they were a few months ago.  I see that as a good thing.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    Hey, I love Into the Mystic :angry:

You can keep Brown-Eyed Girl though. 

And yeah, what the fuck, Van?
  • Options
    Glen Hansard  does a mean into the mystic 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

Someone I know was going to see Van Morrison. Super excited about it. They were trying to tell me who he was. He mentioned Brown Eyed Girl.  Had I heard the song? 

"You can't be a brown eyed girl without having part of that song sung to you at least once." 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

Someone I know was going to see Van Morrison. Super excited about it. They were trying to tell me who he was. He mentioned Brown Eyed Girl.  Had I heard the song? 

"You can't be a brown eyed girl without having part of that song sung to you at least once." 
    Every brown-eyed girl I've ever known despises that song. I guess it showed up on one too many mixtapes or something.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

Every brown-eyed girl I've ever known despises that song. I guess it showed up on one too many mixtapes or something.
    Well, it was typically old dudes who sang it to me. I don’t know why, but I can be a magnet for old guys. :fearful: 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

Well, it was typically old dudes who sang it to me. I don’t know why, but I can be a magnet for old guys. :fearful: 
    Old guys love old ladies.

:tongue:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Covidiots are everywhere, unfortunately

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/victoria-party-host-fine-1.5699920

Parts I particularly liked:

A Victoria man says he will fight the $2,300 fine he received this weekend for hosting a party in his one-bedroom apartment that police say was so packed the windows fogged up.

Nate Christian, 20, said he did nothing wrong and doesn't understand why he was fined for violating the province's public health orders during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

"I had a party, man. Not even a party, it was like a hangout. And everyone's mad at me for it," Christian told CHEK News.

"I don't know what the big hassle is about this, I just think it's a bunch of B.S."

And:

He is being evicted at the end of the month and is looking for a new place to live, he added. 

"Probably somewhere more like, outskirts where like I can do my own thing without like, police interfering with my life," Christian said. 

"I feel like I'm allowed to have fun with a few friends."

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Like, man!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

Old guys love old ladies.

:tongue:
    🖕
    Covidiots are everywhere, unfortunately

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/victoria-party-host-fine-1.5699920

Parts I particularly liked:

A Victoria man says he will fight the $2,300 fine he received this weekend for hosting a party in his one-bedroom apartment that police say was so packed the windows fogged up.

Nate Christian, 20, said he did nothing wrong and doesn't understand why he was fined for violating the province's public health orders during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

"I had a party, man. Not even a party, it was like a hangout. And everyone's mad at me for it," Christian told CHEK News.

"I don't know what the big hassle is about this, I just think it's a bunch of B.S."

And:

He is being evicted at the end of the month and is looking for a new place to live, he added. 

"Probably somewhere more like, outskirts where like I can do my own thing without like, police interfering with my life," Christian said. 

"I feel like I'm allowed to have fun with a few friends."

Such a bummer to have to follow rules. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    This week has been orientation week at my middle school for kids to pick up their computers and get a 20 minute visit with their homeroom teachers. I never had more than 6 people (2 kids plus parents) in the room with me, we all wore masks, and between each session, bus drivers were re-tasked with cleaning desks.

With my very first session, though, I realized why social distancing could never work. Just to help guide kids through the log-in process, understanding the schedule, navigating the delivery platform -- it was my instinct to sit side by side, inches away, taking their paper and writing on it, passing it back to them, smiling and laughing up close . . . I couldn't help it. It's what we do. It was really, really wonderful to be with students again and enjoy those short sessions.

I also had a colleague share a horrific story after a meeting on Monday. She is closely connected with local fire and rescue. She said they have gone on calls all summer long where entire houses of people were dead, or found houses full of sick people sitting with decomposing dead bodies. The undocumented immigrant community (and we have a lot of them) is so terrified of going to the ER that they are dying in their houses en masse. And none of it is getting reported as COVID because they were never tested, or didn't die in the hospital. Such a terrible tragedy. This is a story that is not getting told in the news. I know there was a comment above about how maybe we're on the tail end of things. I don't think so. Not in my neck of the woods. 

Now I just hope that none of us at school picked it up. Ugh. 
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    This week has been orientation week at my middle school for kids to pick up their computers and get a 20 minute visit with their homeroom teachers. I never had more than 6 people (2 kids plus parents) in the room with me, we all wore masks, and between each session, bus drivers were re-tasked with cleaning desks.

With my very first session, though, I realized why social distancing could never work. Just to help guide kids through the log-in process, understanding the schedule, navigating the delivery platform -- it was my instinct to sit side by side, inches away, taking their paper and writing on it, passing it back to them, smiling and laughing up close . . . I couldn't help it. It's what we do. It was really, really wonderful to be with students again and enjoy those short sessions.

I also had a colleague share a horrific story after a meeting on Monday. She is closely connected with local fire and rescue. She said they have gone on calls all summer long where entire houses of people were dead, or found houses full of sick people sitting with decomposing dead bodies. The undocumented immigrant community (and we have a lot of them) is so terrified of going to the ER that they are dying in their houses en masse. And none of it is getting reported as COVID because they were never tested, or didn't die in the hospital. Such a terrible tragedy. This is a story that is not getting told in the news. I know there was a comment above about how maybe we're on the tail end of things. I don't think so. Not in my neck of the woods. 

Now I just hope that none of us at school picked it up. Ugh. 
    Oh what a horrific story.  I totally believe it though.  Even people who are citizens and have insurance, have failed to go to an ER with an emergency situation because of the fear of going to a hospital right now.  This is such a colossal failure on the people who are supposed to protect us in these emergencies.  All this death could have been avoided if action was taken early on. No matter what your political affiliation is, THERE IS NO DENYING THAT FACT.   
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,788
    Yeah, still trying to figure out the part where this thing is dying off? The day we have instant rapid cheap testing, tracing, and a vaccine is the day this thing is "dying off".

I know no one wants to think about the winter, but it's gonna ssssssuuuuuuck.