Options

COVID-19

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    As we get closer to one or more potentially effective vaccines being released, there will be a lot more discussion about access. Lots of thorny practical and ethical considerations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-vaccine-countries-world-1.5668835
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,016
    As we get closer to one or more potentially effective vaccines being released, there will be a lot more discussion about access. Lots of thorny practical and ethical considerations.

There are 20 companies that have come up w a vaccine and already started production.  I would hope that with that many companies making them that there will be more than enough to go around.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited August 2020
    Hopefully there is an option to pay for accelerated access to the vaccine.  I know it screams entitlement but perhaps it could help offset the costs and allow for individuals with need to access for free.   If proof of vaccine is required for travel then I want to get it in time.   Going to be a mess. 
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

There are 20 companies that have come up w a vaccine and already started production.  I would hope that with that many companies making them that there will be more than enough to go around.
    Just in terms of pure logistics of manufacturing and distribution around the world, it will take at months at least, maybe longer. 
  • Options
    Hopefully there is an option to pay for accelerated access to the vaccine.  I know it screams entitlement but perhaps it could help offset the costs and allow for individuals with need to access for free.   If proof of vaccine is required for travel then I want to get it in time.   Going to be a mess. 
    For public health and ethical reasons, I hope this does not happen, but I expect it will. I doubt it will improve access for anyone else though. 
  • Options

Just in terms of pure logistics of manufacturing and distribution around the world, it will take at months at least, maybe longer. 
    They have plenty of time to figure out the logistics, I hope they don't screw it up!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,781
    edited August 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    That's the other part of this that's not getting nearly enough attention - what happens when administrators and teachers start quitting/retiring?

It just all blows and there are no good answers. If this was to be summed up in one sentence on how to treat really any situation right now it's:

Pay people to stay home. 

That's it. There is no other answer in my mind. But there are too many politics wrapped up in this simple statement (as you can see in any garbage thread in AMT) for this to be the obvious solution.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options

They have plenty of time to figure out the logistics, I hope they don't screw it up!

Time to prepare will inevitably bump up against the reality at the time, especially when we consider that the whole world needs these vaccines, which makes it far more of a challenge. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Time to prepare will inevitably bump up against the reality at the time, especially when we consider that the whole world needs these vaccines, which makes it far more of a challenge. 
    Yeah absolutely. If anything changes my feeling/worldview on when a vaccine gets here isn't a matter of the testing, but of the logistics and research needed regarding distribution. It may have been the stat article you linked previously (? I can't remember, soooo many articles I've read now) that showed how they ran out distribution of the H1N1 that gives an idea on how it might go. Ultimately that seems like the best approach, too, while including the consideration for under-privileged/-served communities.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    https://medium.com/@mjacobwrites/parents-youre-being-lied-to-25646fb8634e

I think we’re just going to count out the 2020-2021 school year and home school. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

I think we’re just going to count out the 2020-2021 school year and home school. 
    That was an interesting read, TY.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:

Fuck You 101 taught by Mr. DK? :wink:

Didn't get to read because I am at work, but will get to it later. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Pretty much agree with what this shared.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind said:

Thank god our kids aren't in grades K-~5th (or thereabout) and our only concern right now is pre-k and daycare. Again, there just aren't any good answers/resolutions for all of this. And it's further exacerbated because of school districts, and furthermore due to a lack of national leadership. So not only can the protocol change state by state, but now they can change county by county, and even further down district by district. It's a gigantic mess.

The one issue I have with the writer is about pods. These are happening around here, and I'm sure elsewhere, in moderate sizes where essentially those with the means are paying for tutors (cough private teachers cough). You'd think this whole pandemic would highlight what we've been doing wrong as a country when it comes to public education for decades now and to fundamentally make changes, but I don't hold out hope. We like to stick bubble gum in the holes here and there.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,950
    The vaccines are already  being prepared  in massive  amounts so when they are  deemed  safe they  are there .Uk 70 mill doses and usa 340 mill . I saw only india had bought more than  its countries population to supply neighbouring poorer countries. Says a lot. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,950
    India  alone can produce massive volumes of any vaccines. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    India  alone can produce massive volumes of any vaccines. 
    I posted an article a while back about that.  The company is a family owned one and they said that 50% goes to India and the other half to the rest of the world.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    New cases in Mass are heading in the wrong direction. Fuck a duck!
    Partly blamed on one of the hospital groups with a reporting data dump of tests inflating the overall total.
    The positivity rate has jumped a tick, from about 1.7% to about 2.0% the last week,
    Number still not bad, Covid hospitilazations today hit their lowest number since things ramped up in March. (347, down from a high of about 4,000).
    So if folks smarten up with the parties in Chatham and 33% capacity booze cruises that are more likely 133% capacity (they've been shut down), we'll be OK.
    Well, if my experience at Market Basket this weekend is any sort of indicator, then we'll be locked down again in a month.

Jesus Christ!

And Market Basket is one of the "good" (read: safer) places to go around my area.

And I'm sure you saw this from today's Globehttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/amid-rise-in-covid-19-cases-experts-urge-rollback-of-reopening-in-mass/ar-BB17w0lR.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    dankind said:

That was eye-opening. Thanks for sharing. 

My heart breaks for all the kids out there missing out on all of these important things...and just human contact in general. :(
  • Options
    dankind said:

My heart breaks for all the kids out there missing out on all of these important things...and just human contact in general. :(
    :sick:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Yes, I forgot Dankind does not like mankind. 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

dankind loves humankind. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

dankind loves humankind. 
    From a safe distance
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

dankind loves humankind. 
    I just need some different humans to interact with my kiddos and teach them social skills. So far, they’re about as socialized as feral cats. I’m mostly joking but it’s a real concern of mine. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Partly blamed on one of the hospital groups with a reporting data dump of tests inflating the overall total.
    The positivity rate has jumped a tick, from about 1.7% to about 2.0% the last week,
    Number still not bad, Covid hospitilazations today hit their lowest number since things ramped up in March. (347, down from a high of about 4,000).
    So if folks smarten up with the parties in Chatham and 33% capacity booze cruises that are more likely 133% capacity (they've been shut down), we'll be OK.
    Well, if my experience at Market Basket this weekend is any sort of indicator, then we'll be locked down again in a month.

Jesus Christ!

And Market Basket is one of the "good" (read: safer) places to go around my area.

And I'm sure you saw this from today's Globehttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/amid-rise-in-covid-19-cases-experts-urge-rollback-of-reopening-in-mass/ar-BB17w0lR.
    Well its a bit early to lock down based on a couple days with small increases. (But Globe is gonna Globe)
    Did Samuel Scarpino tweet "its time for phase 4" after seeing all the numbers improve dramatically on the 8/3 dashboard (positivity rate dropped to 1.34%), would be the logical move after his call for returning to phase 2 after the 8/2 dashboard. 
    Can't go by just a few days' data. There was a blip for a few days(and still not huge numbers, confirmed cases never hit 400, let alone the 10,000 Florida had seen regularly for a few weeks), then yesterday things rebounded dramatically. A small uptick a few weeks after July 4 is far from unexpected. If it becomes a sustained increase, then its time to act, but as yesterday showed, its not there yet.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
  • Options
    It's absolutely the only answer - the virus is the economy. You cannot do jack shit about the economy until you address the virus. Which entails shutting shit down and paying people to stay home.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:

Jesus Christ!

Well its a bit early to lock down based on a couple days with small increases. (But Globe is gonna Globe)
    Did Samuel Scarpino tweet "its time for phase 4" after seeing all the numbers improve dramatically on the 8/3 dashboard (positivity rate dropped to 1.34%), would be the logical move after his call for returning to phase 2 after the 8/2 dashboard. 
    Can't go by just a few days' data. There was a blip for a few days(and still not huge numbers, confirmed cases never hit 400, let alone the 10,000 Florida had seen regularly for a few weeks), then yesterday things rebounded dramatically. A small uptick a few weeks after July 4 is far from unexpected. If it becomes a sustained increase, then its time to act, but as yesterday showed, its not there yet.

I take it you haven’t been grocery shopping in Route 1-land. 

If things look better down your way, cool, and let me be the first to apologize for the dipshits north of you when you reap what they have sown. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I went to my climbing gym today after booking a spot online. The gym is limiting the number of climbers at any one time, so they are allowing people to book a 3 hour slot, and if the gym isn't full they will allow walk-ins as well.

From the time it reopened about 2 months ago they have been requiring everyone to wear masks, in addition to the distancing. Today I noticed on their website that masks are now only required on Mondays and Wednesdays, and are optional the other days. I asked about this when I got there, and the staff explained that with the province going from Stage 2 to Stage 3 opening, masks aren't required unless the other conditions can't be met, but that some members who are more "risk averse" balked at coming to the gym if masks were optional, so their compromise is to offer two days a week with masks on everybody. They apparently also do deep cleaning on Sunday and Tuesday nights. 

Climbers are not generally risk averse, but this is an interesting compromise and I appreciate the gym ownership making this effort.