COVID-19

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Not particularly well-written, as I believe they were paid extra everytime they used the word "poop," but the idea itself is interesting. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-university-arizona-stopped-coronavirus-110900534.html
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    I still believe vit d3 is vital in not getting severe covid.
    Just take  a supplement if you are reading  this.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    I mean it makes sense. I believe this is partly how SARS began its spread - through HVAC, and plumbing.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    I mean it makes sense. I believe this is partly how SARS began its spread - through HVAC, and plumbing.
    SARS?  You may be thinking about Legionnaires Disease; which was absolutely associated with HVAC issues.  The issue today with COVID and all along remains to be the issue, is limiting exposure, this will not go away until people social distance and wear masks.  As long as people continue to congregate and dismiss the threat, people will be infected and people will continue to die.  Maybe it has to affect you personally before you take it seriously, and at the point how many people have died due to your ignorance and selfishness.  Not calling you out PJ0925; just posting in the thread.  At this point, how many restaurants, how many small businesses will no longer be able to survive because some people chose to ignore the threat and continue to do so today.  

Don't trust a vaccine that has not had viable studies; science has come a long way, but the studies still have to be validated.  
    SARS?  You may be thinking about Legionnaires Disease; which was absolutely associated with HVAC issues.  The issue today with COVID and all along remains to be the issue, is limiting exposure, this will not go away until people social distance and wear masks.  As long as people continue to congregate and dismiss the threat, people will be infected and people will continue to die.  Maybe it has to affect you personally before you take it seriously, and at the point how many people have died due to your ignorance and selfishness.  Not calling you out PJ0925; just posting in the thread.  At this point, how many restaurants, how many small businesses will no longer be able to survive because some people chose to ignore the threat and continue to do so today.  

Don't trust a vaccine that has not had viable studies; science has come a long way, but the studies still have to be validated.  
    No it was SARS:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2003/03/hong-kong-seals-apartment-building-contain-sars

Basically it moved through the plumbing and air vents of the building.

I mean you're not wrong -preach into the ether of the internet, it is needed.
  • Stephen Hahn, the FDA commissioner, has reportedly said that he is willing to issue an emergency use authorization for a covid-19 vaccine before Phase 3 trials are completed.

Few details were provided, but this is not precisely comforting. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/30/fda-covid-19-vaccine-fast-track
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Im of the opinion the vaccines will be in the main ok. Phase 3 trials are very important but the first 2 phases give the more critical info on if its safe in general. 
    What i cant work out is how will we know as a world,which one we use because if 3 or 4 get approved and used with differing out comes do we choose or do our governments  because usa and uk are run by headless chickens. The Oxford vaccine is one i hear most about  being in uk. And i trust them. They are the cleverest people  we have and they were deep into corona virus studies  before pandemic  came. So they already had done most of the work
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Im of the opinion the vaccines will be in the main ok. Phase 3 trials are very important but the first 2 phases give the more critical info on if its safe in general. 
    What i cant work out is how will we know as a world,which one we use because if 3 or 4 get approved and used with differing out comes do we choose or do our governments  because usa and uk are run by headless chickens. The Oxford vaccine is one i hear most about  being in uk. And i trust them. They are the cleverest people  we have and they were deep into corona virus studies  before pandemic  came. So they already had done most of the work
    I disagree with your opinion of the usefulness of phase 3 trials in assessing safety. Phase 3 is where most of the valuable safety data typically comes from.

For the second point, in the initial months no single company is going to be able to produce vaccine in the volumes needed so which option(s) are available to any particular person is probably going to be mostly based on geography. Over time we’ll get more data and the front runners will become clearer and more available, but initially it will be a bit of a crap shoot. 

• And i bet a situation  arises where some countries  maybe poorer ones may be taking several vaccines to find one affordable and efficacious so there  could  be many people taking more than one kind  could be trouble. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    edited September 2020
    Toots Hibbert (of Toots and the Maytals) in ICU in Jamaica with suspected covid-19. 

Ay ay ay, ay ay ay. Is no lie, them a tell me.

Rooting for you, Toots. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Toots Hibbert (of Toots and the Maytals) in ICU in Jamaica with suspected covid-19. 

Ay ay ay, ay ay ay. Is no lie, them a tell me.

Rooting for you, Toots. 
    That sucks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,618
    I still believe vit d3 is vital in not getting severe covid.
    Just take  a supplement if you are reading  this.

I agree- it sure can't hurt.  I take 2,000 i.u. every morning- more if I feel ill, and 50,000 i.u. for 3 days when actually sick (thankfully, I have not been sick in quite a while!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Just announced they were changing the schoop district plan here from optional to full remote....one week before school starts.
    What fucking clowns.  So predictable.
    We expected this to happen and picked home anyway but this is making people's heads explode.
    Who gets the worst of it?
    Students and Teachers, since the planning was a mashup instead of planning for full remote.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited September 2020
    Just announced they were changing the schoop district plan here from optional to full remote....one week before school starts.
    What fucking clowns.  So predictable.
    We expected this to happen and picked home anyway but this is making people's heads explode.
    Who gets the worst of it?
    Students and Teachers, since the planning was a mashup instead of planning for full remote.
    I'm sorry.  I know that your family planned for online, but still . . . 

The school plans changed so many times for K.  She had 4 different start dates.  She just started back yesterday.  She did her M/T in-school.  She has W-F online.  And you know what?  She's feeling okay about it.  We know that at any time the governor can shut it all down again.  We're prepared for that, but I'm hoping they keep the hybrid plan for the year.  For now it is through the first 9 weeks, but to acclimate the kids to a particular schedule and then to change it up every 9 weeks or who knows would be tough for transition no matter the age.  

It's important to do what is best for you and for your family.  My guess is that there will be plenty of changes yet to come.  As I told K, "Just because it is what they say today . . . :i_dunno: "
  • Glad they got her started and she is comfortable so far!
    edited September 2020
    Glad they got her started and she is comfortable so far!
    And it fucking sucks when direction is being fragmented down to the school district level. Ideally the goal should have been (shoulda woulda coulda, I know) to have a plan in place/be prepared to open schools on time with the necessary remediation/precautionary efforts in place, and then plan to close schools at the height of flu season (~winter break through spring break). But, nope, here we are.
    And it fucking sucks when direction is being fragmented down to the school district level. Ideally the goal should have been (shoulda woulda coulda, I know) to have a plan in place/be prepared to open schools on time with the necessary remediation/precautionary efforts in place, and then plan to close schools at the height of flu season (~winter break through spring break). But, nope, here we are.
    In our case, the governor kept changing mandates.  The schools had to change to go with that.  Specs changed up to a week before they were supposed to start the first time.  I was impressed that they kept us up-to-date on what the plans were.  They even sent out a few surveys throughout the summer to help with their planning.  They apologized for not being able to give firm information on certain things that were questioned, but they kept referring to it as "a fluid situation."  It was indeed.  

The governor is giving forgiveness for the couple of weeks they shifted for the start of school.  Holidays and breaks are maintained.  End of school date is maintained, probably only to change with snow days. 
    edited September 2020
    deadendp said:
    In our case, the governor kept changing mandates.  The schools had to change to go with that.  Specs changed up to a week before they were supposed to start the first time.  I was impressed that they kept us up-to-date on what the plans were.  They even sent out a few surveys throughout the summer to help with their planning.  They apologized for not being able to give firm information on certain things that were questioned, but they kept referring to it as "a fluid situation."  It was indeed.  

The governor is giving forgiveness for the couple of weeks they shifted for the start of school.  Holidays and breaks are maintained.  End of school date is maintained, probably only to change with snow days. 
    Understood - but it boggles my mind that this wasn't at the top of the list of priorities back in May or June when school was letting out from last year. From planning standpoint I think schools should be making A/B/C/D/.../Z alternatives, and I know that's hard. It's all hard right now, but overall I get the impression that from top to bottom the planning process didn't start until like August. And leaving it up to the individual school districts is silly - this whole mess needs less chiefs and more, uh, native americans (?). But since overall leadership has sucked this is kind of expected. Again, I know I'm crying over spilt milk here and yelling at a cloud, but so it goes.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    I live in Ohio. Where I did not vote for the governor and did not agree on many policies, I think he has done a fairly good job with the state. He lost a bit when knucking under to the current administration, though. However, I really do think he truly cares when trying to put forth information and requirements.  

I feel fortunate that my daughter's school district was as transparent as they could he, really took their experience in the spring, admitted their deficits and so far seem to have taken the feedback to heart. They have made a solid game plan, but are willing to change if something they implemented didn't go as swimmingly as they had planned. 

And so it begins. My daughter has gone to school for 2 days. 

She WAS NOT on the contract tracing list, but she was in the building. She doesn't eat lunch because it would require her to take her mask off. 
    Yeah, my son got all upset because his bestie isn’t his class this coming school year. 

Being the very understanding parent that I am, I simply told him, “It doesn’t really matter, buddy. You’re probably never going to see him again anyway.”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    edited September 2020
    ^ Ha. That made me smile. I told me we'd look online ahead of time and compare with 2 besties so she could cry beforehand.

The last minute crap around here is we get more money for educating programs from home and can stagger enter the kids in until mid-November. BC's e-school is starting K-4 as well! Probably no French Immersion, though.

My child is prepared for a let's wait and see go at this.
    This is how the teacher set up my kids' class. I'm gonna cry for a bit now.
    tish said:
    This is how the teacher set up my kids' class. I'm gonna cry for a bit now.
    Is it possible that they are creating plexi carrels and that they haven't been installed yet?  
  • I mean they're going to sit them every other right....right? That's irresponsible. 
  • The distance learning thing could be so much worse if our boy's teacher wasn't really good.  We lucked out.  The one last year was horrible - having a teacher who is very good has made the start of this much better than we expected.  
    Thank FSM we got her and not the dipshit we had in the spring when this stuff started.

edited September 2020
    Those desks are labeled with each kids' name. They are all full. No plexiglass is coming with the huge $$ in funding the district received that I am aware of.

I can pull her and she can lose out on French. No parents have sued for not providing French distant learning. I could be the first.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    tish said:
    Those desks are labeled with each kids' name. They are all full. No plexiglass is coming with the huge $$ in funding the district received that I am aware of.

I can pull her and she can lose out on French. No parents have sued for not providing French distant learning. I could be the first.
    Would it be less costly to augment her learning with an online French curriculum you buy into for now? 
    Yes, ^ that was day 1. She will not be returning to those circumstances.
    deadendp said:
    tish said:

Would it be less costly to augment her learning with an online French curriculum you buy into for now? 
    Less costly for whom?

Lives are at stake!

In a lawsuit, you at least have the possibility of recouping your legal expenses (and maybe then some) if you win your case. 

Also, more importantly (again, if you win), the district is penalized for running death camps.

I suppose a good compromise would be to see if the district might reimburse you for an online French program, but then they’ll just continue to run their little death camps until her beautiful, formerly low-risk province becomes a Covid-19 hot spot.

It’s about more than just tish’s kid, IMO. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM