Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 406
    Definitely put some photos up! Have a great time!
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 689
    The weather scuppered my plans! Weather warnings galore in the Welsh mountains so I decided to stay in England and find somewhere to camp. So today I did 12 miles in Sherwood forest 🏹 (where I ran my 100 miler) and tomorrow it's just a 45min drive to the Peak District for a day of hiking.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Wow, all great pics.  Especially the beer and crisps
    ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Pretty nice consolation prize, Beano!

I started my 1/2 marathon training this week. Back pain got much better after a few days of rest and gentle moving. My PT recommended some strengthening movements and that helped. First few days went well. The coach (who is my PT) put me in the 2:00 - 2:30 target group - I have no idea if that is where I should be as I've never run more than 4 miles before. Starting to feel real now!

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Nice.  How many weeks is the plan?
    (When is your race?)
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    12 miles this morning.  Almost a minute per mile faster than last weekend's 11 miler, and I wasn't trying, I was just going along.  Such a huge difference the heat and humidity make...this am it was 61% humidity and 62 degrees.  For sure manageable vs what it has been most the past month+.

@PJ1973,  I would advise that as you start to add miles and get close to peaking, that you see what works for liquids and/or any food or gel intake.  One difference that is obvious as you stretch out is that for 3-4 miles you don't need any water nor food, but on longer runs you likely will want some food and I think you will need some water.  Sure your coach will help with that. When I moved from 4-5 miles to a half, a full, a 50k, etc, the biggest change that wasn't obvious to me was managing that stuff...and specifically what works and doesn't work for my stomach.  Had to practice with different approaches to fine what worked for me.
    Today, I had to take a pit stop at 6.5 miles and I was ready for it.  Running routes that have clean bathroom options is a must, for me.  Some people aren't bothered.  As I start to add more miles I will refrain from drinking the night before and eat cautiously, as I know what works.
    For now, I know I can still get through the mileage w.out much issue and enjoy a few cocktails on Friday night.  

Have fun with it and let us know if you have questions.  Look forward to being on the journey with you!

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,985
    Everyone is doing great. Beautiful photos. Enjoy the rest of your time there, Beano. 
  • Options
    12 miles this morning.  Almost a minute per mile faster than last weekend's 11 miler, and I wasn't trying, I was just going along.  Such a huge difference the heat and humidity make...this am it was 61% humidity and 62 degrees.  For sure manageable vs what it has been most the past month+.

@PJ1973,  I would advise that as you start to add miles and get close to peaking, that you see what works for liquids and/or any food or gel intake.  One difference that is obvious as you stretch out is that for 3-4 miles you don't need any water nor food, but on longer runs you likely will want some food and I think you will need some water.  Sure your coach will help with that. When I moved from 4-5 miles to a half, a full, a 50k, etc, the biggest change that wasn't obvious to me was managing that stuff...and specifically what works and doesn't work for my stomach.  Had to practice with different approaches to fine what worked for me.
    Today, I had to take a pit stop at 6.5 miles and I was ready for it.  Running routes that have clean bathroom options is a must, for me.  Some people aren't bothered.  As I start to add more miles I will refrain from drinking the night before and eat cautiously, as I know what works.
    For now, I know I can still get through the mileage w.out much issue and enjoy a few cocktails on Friday night.  

Have fun with it and let us know if you have questions.  Look forward to being on the journey with you!

12 miles!! Awesome. It sounds like you know the drill really well. I am like that also in terms of eating, knowing the best time to run, etc. I am still just doing the 4 mile runs. But it’s still working for me. 
  • Options
    Today's hike/run... Now I'm off for a cold beer and a burger

• Options
    Wild pics!
  • Options
    Wild pics!
    The tunnel's were amazing to run through. The first half of the trail was an old railway line with tunnels through the hills, one was almost half a mile long.

The route I downloaded wanted to take me through private land so I had to redirect and use Google maps to plot (guess) a new return route, but I managed to find the outward route and follow that back.

Interesting fact... The longest tennel like this in England is 1 mile long, and there is a 200 mile race that takes place in the tunnel... That is some mind bending stuff... Especially as the lights go out at night. Search it on YouTube... Crazy stuff, the film is as clostriphobic as the race itself must be.
  • Options
    I'll check it out!
  • Options

The race is December 2nd in Winston-Salem (where I live). The training is geared around the Richmond 1/2 and full marathon, which I think is November 11th. Last week I ran around 11 miles, including one 5.5 mile run which is the longest I've ever done. I felt good after it - went at a pretty slow rate so didn't burn myself out. Today is a rest day and tomorrow is a light run before Tuesday speed drills. Eventually they'll add hill workouts to Tuesdays as well.

The pacer in my group started talking to me about food/gels/water during the race. I'm the only one in my sub-group who has not run anything longer than a 5k. He said the same thing you did, that I should start thinking about fueling sooner rather than later. Left to my own, I probably wouldn't even think about it until November, but the emphasis placed right at the get go is changing my approach. Gonna go to my local Fleet Feet this week and start seeing what they have. 

Hitting the gym today - making sure I keep up some weight training. Recommended I do it two days a week now.

Definitely need to start paying more attention to my overall diet and alcohol intake...not an easy thing to do right as tour starts!  If anyone here is going to Austin, let me know and we can meet up for a jog :) 

Will keep you posted as this is going!
  • Options
    PJ1973 said:

The race is December 2nd in Winston-Salem (where I live). The training is geared around the Richmond 1/2 and full marathon, which I think is November 11th. Last week I ran around 11 miles, including one 5.5 mile run which is the longest I've ever done. I felt good after it - went at a pretty slow rate so didn't burn myself out. Today is a rest day and tomorrow is a light run before Tuesday speed drills. Eventually they'll add hill workouts to Tuesdays as well.

The pacer in my group started talking to me about food/gels/water during the race. I'm the only one in my sub-group who has not run anything longer than a 5k. He said the same thing you did, that I should start thinking about fueling sooner rather than later. Left to my own, I probably wouldn't even think about it until November, but the emphasis placed right at the get go is changing my approach. Gonna go to my local Fleet Feet this week and start seeing what they have. 

Hitting the gym today - making sure I keep up some weight training. Recommended I do it two days a week now.

Definitely need to start paying more attention to my overall diet and alcohol intake...not an easy thing to do right as tour starts!  If anyone here is going to Austin, let me know and we can meet up for a jog :) 

Good luck with everything. It sounds like you are starting to become well prepared. I will be going to Austin, but depending on the heat, I may just run on the treadmill in my hotel. I don't mind running on a treadmill if it is really hot or cold outside. But if the weather is conducive I definitely will be running once or twice while there. Let's meet up anyway even if we don't run. I will be in Austin for four days and would love to meet people from here in person.

• Options
    Good that you have some friends to share with you.  Also good that your race is in a cooler month!

Went for a 5k run with the 9yr old this AM
      Was the furthest he has gone, as we train up for am October race, which will be the first 5k he runs
      (I'll run with him)
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,688
    ^ That makes me happy to hear FMe! Well done! Nice pics of your run, B!
  • Options
    Signed up for a half marathon as part of my training cycle for the full.  First time doing that
    .. should be fun!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,568
    GlowGirl said:
    PJ1973 said:

Good luck with everything. It sounds like you are starting to become well prepared. I will be going to Austin, but depending on the heat, I may just run on the treadmill in my hotel. I don't mind running on a treadmill if it is really hot or cold outside. But if the weather is conducive I definitely will be running once or twice while there. Let's meet up anyway even if we don't run. I will be in Austin for four days and would love to meet people from here in person.

I was in Austin last October and ran every morning along the river.
    It will be warmer in September but it's a drier heat in the hill country.
    If you're up early (dawnish) it should be comfortable. 
  • Options
    Signed up for a half marathon as part of my training cycle for the full.  First time doing that
    .. should be fun!
    Nice! How will you approach it? Purely a training run or will you have a good go at it?
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    .. should be fun!
    Nice! How will you approach it? Purely a training run or will you have a good go at it?
    I'm not sure yet.  I feel good during my pace runs the past few weeks....but they are only 6 miles.  I hope I'll go easy the first half and try to step it up if I feel good.  I've never run a race and not pushed as hard as I could. 

Advice?
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    .. should be fun!
    I'm not sure yet.  I feel good during my pace runs the past few weeks....but they are only 6 miles.  I hope I'll go easy the first half and try to step it up if I feel good.  I've never run a race and not pushed as hard as I could. 

Advice?
    When is your marathon? If you have plenty of time to recover sensibly and then continue training then there's no reason you shouldn't push yourself. But if the marathon is close then you wouldn't want to jeopardise your A race. Either way the half marathon will be fun!
  • Options
    In November,  so plenty of time....
    Did some gnarly hills in Vermont yesterday,  was very hungover and did 9 miles.  Felt great after.
  • Options
    Did some gnarly hills in Vermont yesterday,  was very hungover and did 9 miles.  Felt great after.
    Nice job. I don’t run hills very often. Not much around here. When I go to visit my parents they have a lot of hills. Exhausting. 
  • Options
    Plenty of time 👍 just be sure to run easy for a week or 2 to reduce the risk of injury.

13 miles today, negative split run, 8:45 AVG pace, feeling really good. It's looking likely my uncle won't be fit for the half marathon in October so I'm training with one eye on having a bash at a PB
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    Nice job. I don’t run hills very often. Not much around here. When I go to visit my parents they have a lot of hills. Exhausting. 
    But, fun!

beano.79 said:
    Plenty of time 👍 just be sure to run easy for a week or 2 to reduce the risk of injury.

13 miles today, negative split run, 8:45 AVG pace, feeling really good. It's looking likely my uncle won't be fit for the half marathon in October so I'm training with one eye on having a bash at a PB
    Awesome.  Give er a go!
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    Is anyone in the group training for the Chicago Marathon in October?  

Getting to the last of my long runs but they have been up and down.  14 miles went really well last weekend but the 16 mile run this morning was brutal for the last 4 miles.  Any tips on making these easier?  I am taking in fuel (liquid and chews) but still crashing late in the runs.  

Also, does anyone have a favorite marathon shoe?  I am not loving my current long run shoes (New Bal 1080v12) and want to try and grab something new to try for the next few long runs and the race.
  • Options
    PJ-Cubs said:

Getting to the last of my long runs but they have been up and down.  14 miles went really well last weekend but the 16 mile run this morning was brutal for the last 4 miles.  Any tips on making these easier?  I am taking in fuel (liquid and chews) but still crashing late in the runs.  

Also, does anyone have a favorite marathon shoe?  I am not loving my current long run shoes (New Bal 1080v12) and want to try and grab something new to try for the next few long runs and the race.
    What kind of pace are you running compared to your expected race day pace? As you're currently training you're body will be fatigued and your long run pace should be much slower than your 'race pace'👍

The new balance 1080 used to be great but I really didn't enjoy the V12 nearly as much as previous versions. If you're looking for more cushioning then the new balance fresh foam more are great, I also have a couple of pairs of saucony triumph20, they have the cushioning but it's super responsive and has a nice 'pop' to it. The version 21 is out so I managed to pick them up for just £80 here in the UK RRP £160
  • Options
    Good questions....I also stopped with the chews....my body didn't respond well to them.  I go with gels instead and it made me feel better.
    All trial and error as to what works for you

I've used Fresh Foams as well but got a Hoka shoe recently.  Not sure what I'll use for the Philly (was thinking the Hokas) but just ordered the FFMore v4s.  (Hokas are lighter but less cushioned)

Chicago is a flat race, right?  Have you done it before?

• Options
    beano.79 said:
    PJ-Cubs said:

What kind of pace are you running compared to your expected race day pace? As you're currently training you're body will be fatigued and your long run pace should be much slower than your 'race pace'👍

The new balance 1080 used to be great but I really didn't enjoy the V12 nearly as much as previous versions. If you're looking for more cushioning then the new balance fresh foam more are great, I also have a couple of pairs of saucony triumph20, they have the cushioning but it's super responsive and has a nice 'pop' to it. The version 21 is out so I managed to pick them up for just £80 here in the UK RRP £160
    I am trying to break 4 hours for the race.  My long runs have probably been a bit aggressive and part of what I need to figure out is getting dialed into race pace.  I struggle to go slower than race pace.  
    When I did 14 miles last week, I mixed in some 1 minute walk breaks (mile 6, 8, and 10) because it was so hot outside.  The walk breaks seemed to work well.  I was trying to avoid the walking during my 16 miler yesterday but after the quick early pace, my body forced me into stopping frequently over the last 3-4 miles. 

I agree with you about the 1080v12s.  I loved my older version of the shoe (v10) but the new ones that I have are less fun.  I have heard great things about the Triumph but the fit did not work for me.  I am looking at possibly getting the Saucony Endorphin Speed 3s but would only have a month to test them and get used to them. 
  • Options
    Good questions....I also stopped with the chews....my body didn't respond well to them.  I go with gels instead and it made me feel better.
    All trial and error as to what works for you

I've used Fresh Foams as well but got a Hoka shoe recently.  Not sure what I'll use for the Philly (was thinking the Hokas) but just ordered the FFMore v4s.  (Hokas are lighter but less cushioned)

Chicago is a flat race, right?  Have you done it before?

Chicago is very flat except for a ~200M incline/hill at about mile 25 (so mean).  I have run it once before but it was a LONG time ago (25yrs).  My hope was to beat my previous time (4:07) but the body does not bunce back like it used to.