Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    beano.79 said:
    Awesome.  What does that equal out to?

I had to cooldown for 10+ minutes this AM before I could shower.  I love that it was warm when I went out but that extra 10 mins is gonna increase to 15, at least, once it gets warmer.  I like that I am a furnace but sometimes it costs more time than I want it to.  
    Also, I'm fucked if I have to run long distances in high heat.  Don't know how our champion here ran 45 miles in that.  .totally impressive!
    That towel over my head is a cooling towel... Get them wet, wring them out a little then snap them a few times... They do help quite a bit. They're not expensive and handy to have. I wouldn't go as far as saying they feel ice cold or anything but they do help regulate the body temp a little
    Put them down the pants, lol.
    (Where my gloves go sometimes when it is freezing out)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    How do those of you who run in races track/build pace?

I'm trying to get better at this.
    Mile warm up ans cool down sandwiched around Mile repeats this morning (with walk time between intervals) and while I hit my target mile times each mile, I look a the pace and see that really only my middle interval was even and how I would like to be able to run.
    Curious how others find pacing to be/ if you practice toward a steady pace at or around goal speed?

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550

Mile warm up ans cool down sandwiched around Mile repeats this morning (with walk time between intervals) and while I hit my target mile times each mile, I look a the pace and see that really only my middle interval was even and how I would like to be able to run.
    Curious how others find pacing to be/ if you practice toward a steady pace at or around goal speed?

When I was competing I always worked toward negative splits.
    Trained maybe one day a week at race pace.
    Intervals were part of my training but usually involving hills.
    As my races were almost always 10k or longer I paid more attention to my last couple of miles.
    It takes some trial and error to figure out what works best for you.
  • Options

When I was competing I always worked toward negative splits.
    Trained maybe one day a week at race pace.
    Intervals were part of my training but usually involving hills.
    As my races were almost always 10k or longer I paid more attention to my last couple of miles.
    It takes some trial and error to figure out what works best for you.
    Thanks.  Since the doc told me to stop running I only do halfs or lower and mostly 5ks.  Has been a fun switch, although I miss just focusing on finishing and bumping up the distance beyond what I could previously run.  Now, since the distances are short I am paying attention to trying to get faster.  With the 5k I think it ends up being go as hard as I can, all out.  Might be better to have the training to support the first two miles at even pace (very close to max) and then to murder my body for the last mile.
    This is how I feel I can get to sub 20 min time, which is my goal.

Fun to analyze and plan for ways to try and improve.   Appreciate your response!
    (And when I run longer distances on weekends I do try to make my last mile or two the fastest, even while not trying to run too hard.)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    ran the 10k race last thursday. Didnt go all that well. Had to walk in places. Embarrased infront of my running partner. But also fun to have done it. And it was very hot. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Great work - glad you finished and had fun.
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 671
    ran the 10k race last thursday. Didnt go all that well. Had to walk in places. Embarrased infront of my running partner. But also fun to have done it. And it was very hot. 

Good work! Congratulations. Running in the heat is a fucker and would definitely had an affect. Great to get a finish, a medal and a beer!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889

Congrats. Just doing it is amazing. You have come really far since you started this thread. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Thank you.

Colleagues and my former boss want's to head down to a trail race in July. In a beech forest (?). They will run 12km. Thinking about joining but run 5km. Don't have any trail shoes though.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Don't need em for 5k.  "Just do it"  :lol:  
  • Options
    Applied for the 5k

Next weekend

Barbecue with colleagues afterwards
  • Options
    Have fun!
  • Options
    Excellent!
    I'm up for a race on Friday evening but we may have thunderstorms, which would kill it.  Hoping not.  
  • Options
    Back running after a couple of weeks completely off running. It has done me some good! Was really disappointed with how the race unfolded.

No races now untill the autumn which will be a half marathon pacing my uncle in october, and a 6 hour looped ultra in December. Time to enjoy some running for the enjoyment of running for a while
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Back running after a couple of weeks completely off running. It has done me some good! Was really disappointed with how the race unfolded.

No races now untill the autumn which will be a half marathon pacing my uncle in october, and a 6 hour looped ultra in December. Time to enjoy some running for the enjoyment of running for a while
    Sorry the race didn't go as planned, but you still were amazing. It is nice to just run for fun. I mentioned in another post that I reduced my runs to 4 miles because I need to gain a few pounds and I was burning too many calories. At first, I felt bummed about it. However, now after doing 4 mile runs for a few months I actually like it better. I am not a competitive runner. I am doing it mainly for heart health and fitness. Four  miles several times a week is still giving me excellent heart health. And it is likely not as bad for my aging joints. It also takes less time. So, I may stick with it for now. When I do run races, they are 5Ks, so I am still running over that each run. Overall, I am now happy with my lower weekly miles.

• Options
    Race cancelled for tonight at Temple University.   Lighting forecast all night.  Bummer....I didn't run on Wed or Thurs as I usually have two days off before trying to explode my heart during a race.  Means tomorrow am it will be been 3 days off going into it....guess I can run a bit harder.  :) 

GG, glad you are enjoying your 4 mile runs.  I do like some parts or running almost exclusively shorter runs (10 miles or less) but I do miss being totally exhausted and going for 5 more miles or just kicking it in the hot tub knowing I just ran 20 miles.  A good feeling.  (Except for my knees.)

Beano enjoy the time you have now and the heat
      :)

Up to 40 minutes on my Sunday water treading last week.  Will do 50 this Sunday.  I don't know about 2 hours but I feel I can make my goal of 1 hour and then see how much further I can push it.
  • Options
    How is everyone doing?
    Just got in a nice run this morning....97% humidity made it a swampy one.  :)

Got up to 60 mins on the trading water project, yesterday.  :)  was inspired by our member here who said they did it from 2 hours at one point.  Now, that is my goal
      Yesterday,  my back was hurting at 25 mins.  Tried to do different patters with my arms to loosen up....tried ti just use my feet for periods of time....and then just embraced the suck.  (Once I fully embraced, everything got better.  :lol:)

Funny that my Connect app thinks this is a piece of cake workout.  🎂 
    *)
    Looking at yesterday also showed me that work from home days without running = pretty much no walking....and, also, that I need to turn the damn fan on in my way-too-hot bedroom.  :lol:   these watches are too funny.

• Options
    Not fast but fun. All the people I went with ran 12, but I stuck to 5. Rainy and a bit muddy but it only makes it more fun. 

• Options
    Good for both of you on your runs today. I am glad you had fun SC. Was this your first official race?

status quo for me. But I am traveling for the next few days with my sister and mother. So I will bring running clothes. But not sure I will be able to fit it in. But I will be doing a lot of walking. 
  • Options
    Said hi to an old friend while out for my morning run today!

Major humidity here, as well

Damn air quality is poor but running around the monuments was a fun thing to do at the crack of dawn

• Options

Damn air quality is poor but running around the monuments was a fun thing to do at the crack of dawn

Great photos. I grew up in the DC area so I know that humidity well. I am in Charleston right now for a few days. No way I could run outside. The heat and humidity are stifling. 
  • Options
    It wasn't too hot yet af that point but about as humid as it gets. Tomorrow morning I thinking I'm running up to Georgetown Waterfront Park and around there

We are staying in Foggy Bottom...I like this area.  With GW here there are lots of kids around

Charleston is great, I love it.  Eat at FIG.  Man, I loved that meal.
  • Options

Cool place to run! 
  • Options
    I'm enjoying my running the last few weeks, no pressure or schedule. My daughter also joined a local running club, she's only just turning 8 and doesn't have a competitive bone in her body right now, she isn't quick (she could be but she doesn't push at all) but she will run 3k with a smile on her face the whole time, it's beautiful 
  • Options
    That is awesome, I'm having a tough time getting the 9 yr old to go running with me lately
      We did sign up for a race together in December.   

This morning I ran to the White House, the Capital Building, Supreme Court, and back to hotel.  Hot, hot, humid.  Didn't bring the Body Glide but I sweat so much had major chafing issues (feeling that now) and am going to have to pick up some Vaseline for tomorrow mornings run.  
    Body Glide is a damn godsend for the hot times on longer runs....not sure it anyone else is a fan?
  • Options
    That is awesome, I'm having a tough time getting the 9 yr old to go running with me lately
      We did sign up for a race together in December.   

This morning I ran to the White House, the Capital Building, Supreme Court, and back to hotel.  Hot, hot, humid.  Didn't bring the Body Glide but I sweat so much had major chafing issues (feeling that now) and am going to have to pick up some Vaseline for tomorrow mornings run.  
    Body Glide is a damn godsend for the hot times on longer runs....not sure it anyone else is a fan?
    I generally use vasaline but recently bought something called 'chub rub' 😂
  • Options
    Haha.  Much better out this morning with the vaz.  

• Options
    Got a 4 miles charity run with my daughter this Sunday ❤️ will be the slowest but probably most fun 4 miles I've ever run 😁
  • Options
    Awesome!  Is she raising 💰?
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    Got a 4 miles charity run with my daughter this Sunday ❤️ will be the slowest but probably most fun 4 miles I've ever run 😁
    Nice!