Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    PJNB said:
    We have fog where I live. Natures air conditioner right at my doorstep. Makes it easy to pick days to do longer workouts. Sucks when biking though since the glasses get so wet you can not see. 

I envy you guys and gals that can get up early in the a.m. before work to do a run. I get up at 5am and put a 13hr day in all said and done and there is no way I am doing any exercising before or after that. 

I just did a fast 5km for me yesterday. Down to 22:36 shaving a minute off. Any increase in bettering my time from here is going to really hurt. That last 0.5 miles was hell. I went for an hour bike ride today and felt a lot better on the hills. I am finally starting to feel like my old self again. 
    Damn, you’re a fast runner. Very impressive.  I don’t push myself for speed, but I know I don’t have that speed in me for a 5K.  My goal is to stretch out my endurance to do a half marathon. I know I can do it, but it’s the time commitment I struggle with. I work out every single day, but stretching the time out longer is the hard part. Anyway, kudos to you. I have been working 12+ hours a day, but the 3 am and 5 am runs like F Me don’t work for me lol. I have to get it in after work. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,737
    bbiggs said:
    PJNB said:
    We have fog where I live. Natures air conditioner right at my doorstep. Makes it easy to pick days to do longer workouts. Sucks when biking though since the glasses get so wet you can not see. 

I envy you guys and gals that can get up early in the a.m. before work to do a run. I get up at 5am and put a 13hr day in all said and done and there is no way I am doing any exercising before or after that. 

I just did a fast 5km for me yesterday. Down to 22:36 shaving a minute off. Any increase in bettering my time from here is going to really hurt. That last 0.5 miles was hell. I went for an hour bike ride today and felt a lot better on the hills. I am finally starting to feel like my old self again. 
    Damn, you’re a fast runner. Very impressive.  I don’t push myself for speed, but I know I don’t have that speed in me for a 5K.  My goal is to stretch out my endurance to do a half marathon. I know I can do it, but it’s the time commitment I struggle with. I work out every single day, but stretching the time out longer is the hard part. Anyway, kudos to you. I have been working 12+ hours a day, but the 3 am and 5 am runs like F Me don’t work for me lol. I have to get it in after work. 
    Thanks! Ya kids and work are always getting in the way for me too lol. Luckily the last month and a half I have had a couple of 14 day stretches off in a row allowing me to train. One was supposed to be for Pearl Jam in Europe and I am really happy with myself that I did not let the couple of weeks go to total waste.  My wife is doing great as well getting back into it. Eating healthy and exercising is much easier for me to do when my better half is into it as well. 

Running is not all about time too but it is something that I use to gauge my overall increase in fitness especially since I am getting back into it. That is the pretty cool thing about jogging/running/walking. Almost anyone can do it and they can do it at whatever pace suits them. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,737
    Did my first 10Km in 4 years. Felt good! 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Sweet!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,837
    PJNB said:
    Nice work!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJNB said:

Congrats!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Well done @PJNB
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Ran 5 miles today in a slight drizzle. It was awesome. Humid as hell but escaped the heat with the cloud cover. Listened to the doors the entire run and got lost in the mojo risen desert lol. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,832
    PJNB said:
    Awesome. That is my goal. Once the weather cools down I am seriously going to go for it. I’m at a comfortable 4.5 miles right now, and a less comfortable 5 miles - so just a little further....
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Ran 5 miles today in a slight drizzle. It was awesome. Humid as hell but escaped the heat with the cloud cover. Listened to the doors the entire run and got lost in the mojo risen desert lol. 
    No drizzle here. Just relentless heat. I took a leisurely 4 mile walk today. I couldn’t muster up a run. Stopped in a cool record store. If I don’t get up super early tomorrow, that will be a no go as well. The heat index is supposed to be even worse 🥵
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Did you run today, F Me? I didn’t. It was already over 80 degrees at 7:30am with 80% humidity. Air quality is not good either. Didn’t want to potentially feel sick. I’m going to try for Wednesday. It is supposed to be a bit cooler then, I hope. I feel guilty when I miss my run days but would rather deal with guilt than heat stroke  :s
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,303
    Had to move my long run from Sunday to Monday this week (didn't get out in time Sunday morning and was too damn hot). 

Got in 10 miles today. Felt pretty good. 
  • Options
    Had to move my long run from Sunday to Monday this week (didn't get out in time Sunday morning and was too damn hot). 

Wow!! That is great. This is where I start to miss the treadmill at my gym. No idea when they will be reopening. I did my run yesterday, but today was too hot, even by 8am. Now think I will have to get up at 6am this week if I want to get any type of running in. What time did you get started this morning?
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,303
    GlowGirl said:

Wow!! That is great. This is where I start to miss the treadmill at my gym. No idea when they will be reopening. I did my run yesterday, but today was too hot, even by 8am. Now think I will have to get up at 6am this week if I want to get any type of running in. What time did you get started this morning?
    About 6:45. My goal is to be out by 6:30 if I can to avoid the heat. Yesterday I didn't get out until closer to 8 and the heat index was already almost 90F. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    GlowGirl said:
    Did you run today, F Me? I didn’t. It was already over 80 degrees at 7:30am with 80% humidity. Air quality is not good either. Didn’t want to potentially feel sick. I’m going to try for Wednesday. It is supposed to be a bit cooler then, I hope. I feel guilty when I miss my run days but would rather deal with guilt than heat stroke  :s
    Nope, Monday is an off day.  :)
    I did look when I woke up and it was 93% humidity and I believe 75 out.  Would have been pretty darn hot 
    For sure try to avoid heat stroke!

• Options

Excellent!  
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

About 6:45. My goal is to be out by 6:30 if I can to avoid the heat. Yesterday I didn't get out until closer to 8 and the heat index was already almost 90F. 
    That is my problem. I am not an early morning person (I work at home with a very flexible schedule). I usually run at 9:30/10:00am or so. I thought getting up at 8am today was going to be good. I was so wrong. 6am it is. I hope I can get up that early. Yikes!

• Options
    I'm awake at 6am, but I'm not going for a run. It's too early. We dont seem to have the same problem with the temperature or humidity here. Good luck tomorrow @GlowGirl
  • Options
    I'm awake at 6am, but I'm not going for a run. It's too early. We dont seem to have the same problem with the temperature or humidity here. Good luck tomorrow @GlowGirl
    What part of the West Coast are you in Dreamgirl?

• Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited July 2020
    GlowGirl said:

I'm California dreaming just like the mamas and the papas @GlowGirl ...  I am in fact in England!
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    GlowGirl said:

I'm California dreaming just like the mamas and the papas @GlowGirl ...  I am in fact in England!
    Wow. Had no idea. Mind blown!  ;)  I love England, by the way. I haven't been in so long, but hopefully will get there again at some point.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    I'm always up and out by 6 and sometimes by 5 if it's a ride and run day.

And sometimes I add in a slow afternoon run
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Wow. Had no idea. Mind blown!  ;)  I love England, by the way. I haven't been in so long, but hopefully will get there again at some point.

Same here with America, your country rocks! 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Same here with America, your country rocks! 
    That's nice of you to say - especially with everything going on here right now. We are a bit of mess :s

• Options
    So, I finally got out there earlier - 7:00am, and it was still hot as shit. Managed 4 miles so now I feel good. Skipping my run yesterday made my whole day feel a bit off. How did everyone get by today?
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Damn. Just measured my last route with proper GPS. Turns out my 11k run in 1:07 hours was actually 10k. :s 
  • Options
    Today was easy, 3 miles.  Ran at an easy pace and Wednesday is my 'pace day every week so I know better than to push it on Tuesdays 
    Hot but much better than it was on weekend.
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited July 2020
    GlowGirl said:
    So, I finally got out there earlier - 7:00am, and it was still hot as shit. Managed 4 miles so now I feel good. Skipping my run yesterday made my whole day feel a bit off. How did everyone get by today?
    Well done @GlowGirl @Fme @JPPJ84

I managed to walk the dog before work today as it was bright and sunny. 
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

You're making progress!

Congrats to everyone keeping up with running despite the heat.

Unable to cycle recently so I've been alternating walking and running, since I think I'll be in trouble if I run every day. Yesterday should have been a run day but I wasn't feeling well so just walked. Today, though!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf