Options

wonder when we will here about rescheduled tour dates 2021?

Comments

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I like the optimism of the original post, but we're looking at 2022 at the soonest. They haven't even gotten together to stream anything with a new album out. Do you really think they are going to tour with Covid19 numbers going up in many areas and the future is not clear.  
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    edited June 2020
    RobZ said:
    One thing is for certain, GA as we once knew it is history....
    I'm trying to write a really good response but I'm finding I lack the words.

I don't feel like your statement is accurate.   I have a couple of reasons:

1)  PJ was the first band to pull the plug (also ahead of prosports) due to covid19.  They saw it as a serious issue and shut down the tour.   Is PJ the kind of band that's going to go out and tour while the pandemic is still a thing?    I tend to think they'll tour when it's over.  The might announce new dates, but if we're still pandemic'ing when those dates happen I could see another postponement.   If those shows occur when the pandemic is over, then it's going to be moot, because the virus will be done spreading.

2) Are seats that much safer than GA.   These were arena shows (at least in North America).  The arena pits are a lot smaller than the stadium pits.  Sure you're close to other people, but no one's moshing.  I feel it's a misnomer that seats are safe.  You've got strangers to the left and right of you.  You've got them in front and behind you.  You've probably got at least 6 strangers in a 6ft radius of you.    Not to mention all the people you pass trying to get food, beer, merch, or find  your seat.  You're not social distancing being in a seat... lol.

3) Economics.   I expect that a lot of people are scared of the pandemic.   If major events (concerts, sports, etc..) start up before the pandemic is over, I expect many people will be nervous to go.   I expect it could cause a run on refunds, or for new events, low ticket sales.  The economics of the situation may prevent big events from happening until people are comfortable going (which might not be until after a vaccine).

4) If they did opt. to tour before pandemic is over, and did shut down GA for the tour, would it be permanent?  I would suspect it only remain shut down until it's not an issue anymore.  It would most likely start back up once the pandemic is over.

I feel like people are struggling to see a post pandemic world, but the question is, are you going to go to live a show, whether it be GA or Seated, in a venue as big as an Arena or Stadium, while the pandemic is still going on (and you haven't gotten the virus).

Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,466
    myoung321 said:
    I like the optimism of the original post, but we're looking at 2022 at the soonest. They haven't even gotten together to stream anything with a new album out. Do you really think they are going to tour with Covid19 numbers going up in many areas and the future is not clear.  
    While it is possible there won’t be shows before 2022, I would respectfully disagree with the statement of 2022 “at the soonest”.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    edited June 2020
    just paid another installment for sea hear and now....maybe it is happening.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Zod said:
    RobZ said:
    One thing is for certain, GA as we once knew it is history....
    I'm trying to write a really good response but I'm finding I lack the words.

I don't feel like your statement is accurate.   I have a couple of reasons:

1)  PJ was the first band to pull the plug (also ahead of prosports) due to covid19.  They saw it as a serious issue and shut down the tour.   Is PJ the kind of band that's going to go out and tour while the pandemic is still a thing?    I tend to think they'll tour when it's over.  The might announce new dates, but if we're still pandemic'ing when those dates happen I could see another postponement.   If those shows occur when the pandemic is over, then it's going to be moot, because the virus will be done spreading.

2) Are seats that much safer than GA.   These were arena shows (at least in North America).  The arena pits are a lot smaller than the stadium pits.  Sure you're close to other people, but no one's moshing.  I feel it's a misnomer that seats are safe.  You've got strangers to the left and right of you.  You've got them in front and behind you.  You've probably got at least 6 strangers in a 6ft radius of you.    Not to mention all the people you pass trying to get food, beer, merch, or find  your seat.  You're not social distancing being in a seat... lol.

3) Economics.   I expect that a lot of people are scared of the pandemic.   If major events (concerts, sports, etc..) start up before the pandemic is over, I expect many people will be nervous to go.   I expect it could cause a run on refunds, or for new events, low ticket sales.  The economics of the situation may prevent big events from happening until people are comfortable going (which might not be until after a vaccine).

4) If they did opt. to tour before pandemic is over, and did shut down GA for the tour, would it be permanent?  I would suspect it only remain shut down until it's not an issue anymore.  It would most likely start back up once the pandemic is over.

I feel like people are struggling to see a post pandemic world, but the question is, are you going to go to live a show, whether it be GA or Seated, in a venue as big as an Arena or Stadium, while the pandemic is still going on (and you haven't gotten the virus).

I have a few thoughts on your post so I'll give my answers in order as you provided the questions. 

1. I believe the band won't announce new shows until they're fairly certain when those shows will be able to happen. My gut is telling me we probably won't hear about new dates until we're closer to end of the year. What I'm still scratching my head about is why Ohana hasn't made a cancelled/postponed announcement yet, especially when you consider it's Eddie's festival. 

2. Seats aren't safer, but if they choose to eliminate GA seating for the time being, then you could theoretically space the chairs out in order to keep up with social distancing guidelines to make it safer for those who attend. 

3. I'd be all in for them playing in smaller scale productions at alternate venues if that would allow them the ability to tour sooner. One thought that crossed my mind was why not just make the shift to outdoor amphitheater's or state parks for the time being? This is the lone reason why I'm still hanging onto that glimmer of hope that Ohana goes on as planned. And I have faith in this band being able to find alternate venues or places to play at, I mean these were the guys who did an entire tour without Ticketbastards help. 

4. I'm not too sure about that, and here's why. Even we end up discovering a vaccine for this virus, it doesn't mean that all of a sudden the worries and fears go away. Hell, who's to say that everyone will run out to get the vaccine if and when it becomes available anyway? Which leads to my point, do you think the band will be fine with fans continuing the practice of camping out (sometimes multiple days) just so they can get as close to the stage as possible? Again, my gut is telling me that the band will exercise caution which means the days of GA (at least how it is today) will be long gone. Mark my word, I believe we'll see a statement from the band at some point that will effectively say due to the concerns of their fans health & safety, all future shows will be reserved seating. 

And to answer your last question on whether I would go to a live show while still in a pandemic, I already did that when I went to see Tool in Portland right before everything went on lockdown and didn't catch the virus. So if PJ wants to play a gig this year, they can count me there! 

RM
  • Options
    I could see GA temporarily going away if they did distancing shows.  Such as, 15% occupancy in an NFL stadium - not that I think they would do that.  I hope Ohana happens but I think it won’t.

Once the pandemic is over (or over enough) I’d anticipate GA to return just as soon as packed reserved seated sections can return.  The difference is very marginal.

One modification I’d like to see, pandemic or not, is the elimination of that lining up for 24+ hours thing.  Another band - maybe Bruce? - has a wristband system where on the afternoon of the show, if you have a GA ticket, you pick up a numbered wristband at your convenience, and at something like 6pm they draw to see which number is considered number one and line up accordingly.  Example, if there are 100 wristbands and you have number 50, if they draw 41 you’re 10th, and if they draw 51 you’re 100th.  There’s still crowding during the show, but no camping out. Virus or no virus that would be so much more civilized and give people who have better things to do than camp out all day a shot at being up front sometimes.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,510
    kst said:
    I could see GA temporarily going away if they did distancing shows.  Such as, 15% occupancy in an NFL stadium - not that I think they would do that.  I hope Ohana happens but I think it won’t.

Once the pandemic is over (or over enough) I’d anticipate GA to return just as soon as packed reserved seated sections can return.  The difference is very marginal.

One modification I’d like to see, pandemic or not, is the elimination of that lining up for 24+ hours thing.  Another band - maybe Bruce? - has a wristband system where on the afternoon of the show, if you have a GA ticket, you pick up a numbered wristband at your convenience, and at something like 6pm they draw to see which number is considered number one and line up accordingly.  Example, if there are 100 wristbands and you have number 50, if they draw 41 you’re 10th, and if they draw 51 you’re 100th.  There’s still crowding during the show, but no camping out. Virus or no virus that would be so much more civilized and give people who have better things to do than camp out all day a shot at being up front sometimes.
    yes, that's Bruce GA procedure over last several tours
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,225
    Proof of testing negative from a health physician for GA would be a good start. 
  • Options
    joseph33 said:
    Hell to the NO on that idea! 
  • Options
    joseph33 said:
    I don’t think that would work.  Too many issues, for example:

-false negatives
    -outdated results 
    -unequal access to testing 
    -fraud/cheating 
    -security process 

• Options
    kst said:
    joseph33 said:
    I don’t think that would work.  Too many issues, for example:

-false negatives
    -outdated results 
    -unequal access to testing 
    -fraud/cheating 
    -security process 
    Not to mention the HIPAA compliance issues that would arise from this. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I have a few thoughts on your post so I'll give my answers in order as you provided the questions. 

1. I believe the band won't announce new shows until they're fairly certain when those shows will be able to happen. My gut is telling me we probably won't hear about new dates until we're closer to end of the year. What I'm still scratching my head about is why Ohana hasn't made a cancelled/postponed announcement yet, especially when you consider it's Eddie's festival. 

2. Seats aren't safer, but if they choose to eliminate GA seating for the time being, then you could theoretically space the chairs out in order to keep up with social distancing guidelines to make it safer for those who attend. 

3. I'd be all in for them playing in smaller scale productions at alternate venues if that would allow them the ability to tour sooner. One thought that crossed my mind was why not just make the shift to outdoor amphitheater's or state parks for the time being? This is the lone reason why I'm still hanging onto that glimmer of hope that Ohana goes on as planned. And I have faith in this band being able to find alternate venues or places to play at, I mean these were the guys who did an entire tour without Ticketbastards help. 

4. I'm not too sure about that, and here's why. Even we end up discovering a vaccine for this virus, it doesn't mean that all of a sudden the worries and fears go away. Hell, who's to say that everyone will run out to get the vaccine if and when it becomes available anyway? Which leads to my point, do you think the band will be fine with fans continuing the practice of camping out (sometimes multiple days) just so they can get as close to the stage as possible? Again, my gut is telling me that the band will exercise caution which means the days of GA (at least how it is today) will be long gone. Mark my word, I believe we'll see a statement from the band at some point that will effectively say due to the concerns of their fans health & safety, all future shows will be reserved seating. 

And to answer your last question on whether I would go to a live show while still in a pandemic, I already did that when I went to see Tool in Portland right before everything went on lockdown and didn't catch the virus. So if PJ wants to play a gig this year, they can count me there! 

RM
    And a few more thoughts:

1.  I agree that it's going to be a while until we hear anything, because I don't expect the band to play while the epidemic is still around.  Ohana probably hasn't cancelled yet because it's 3 months away.  Holding on for a miracle.   I would expect that they hold out another month or two until their 100% sure a miracle doesn't happen.

2.  I'm not sure bands are going to play socially distanced big venue shows.   Your just talking about the pit section, but if they're restructuring the pit section in order to enable social distancing, then they need to do it to all the other seats too.   So they would need to randomly cancel up to half of the issued tickets for the whole venues?  That makes no sense.   Do the economics of playing shows even work out to half (or even less) full venues?

3. Your quoting the tour where PJ planned and executed the whole tour themselves, got exhausted, eddie got sick, neil young replaced him to finish out a show, and then the tour got cancelled ending in abject failure? lol!   All kidding aside, using TM to do an amphitheatre theatre shouldn't be that hard.   I think you've still got the socially distanced issue though.   Do bands want to playing to venues that are at half capacity.  Do the economics work out.   Would they rather wait kind of stuff.  How hard is it going to be to do tours when the laws surrounding large gatherings vary from city to city or state to state.  Meaning if the rescheduled this years tours, the might not be able to play a number of the locations.

4. I don't expect large scale concerts (especially PJ) to happen until Coronavirus is under control.  Maybe that's not right away when a vaccine is developed, but once enough people have it, it won't be able to spread as fast.  Right now an overwhelming majority of the population hasn't had the virus, which means it's like a match in super dry forest.   As Vaccinated people numbers go up, it'll have less and less people to spread too, and slow it's spread down, hopefully to manageable levels.

I also went to a show (albeit a bar show) just before the pandemic.   If concerts were held while it's widespread I'd think twice about going to another.  Of course if I got the virus and became immune, then I wouldn't care.

My gut is also telling me the band will exercise even more caution than you think.  I really don't think they're going to tour until it's not a threat anymore.  Which means making changes will be moot. 

I am wondering how this plays out for the whole industry.  Will Bands/Musicians try to tour earlier to half empty venues, or will they wait a bit longer to play to full venues. 

This could also go the other way.  If they did as you say.  Turned GA to Reserved for the purpose of spacing out seats for social distancing.  They they'd have to also socially distance the rest of the venue.  This means randomly cancelling (up to or more than) half of the issued tickets.   That's going to become a logistical nightmare.  If they have to turn already sold full shows into socially distanced shows it's going to be a mess.   They may just end up cancelling the tour, and waiting until a return to normalcy to try again.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    kst said:

The thing with Springsteen is the pit is split into two sections.   The draw is to go into the closer section.  There is the added benefit it also randomizes who goes in first, but overall it's to go into that closer pit section.  PJ only has a small pit section at the front, and all holders go into.   I can see why they didn't.  All it really does is save PJ fans from themselves.  If someone wants to line up 2 days for front row all the power to them.    Of course this in non-pandemic times.   I don't really expect the band to play during the pandemic. 
  • Options
    Zod said:
    kst said:

The thing with Springsteen is the pit is split into two sections.   The draw is to go into the closer section.  There is the added benefit it also randomizes who goes in first, but overall it's to go into that closer pit section.  PJ only has a small pit section at the front, and all holders go into.   I can see why they didn't.  All it really does is save PJ fans from themselves.  If someone wants to line up 2 days for front row all the power to them.    Of course this in non-pandemic times.   I don't really expect the band to play during the pandemic. 
    Yeah it’s going to be a while before they play.  Hopefully the vaccines that are into somewhat advanced testing will prove to be effective.  At least then there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.  Otherwise I don’t even want to think about how long it will be.

• Options

• Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,172
    Everyone seems a bit pessimistic on here. I just can’t see concerts not returning again or not returning to 2022-23. In the same way I can’t see other things like cinemas, flights etc not returning to normal. I still hold out hopes for a Jun/July 21 Euro tour, though I think a US tour for Spring may be questionable. 

No one knows enough about the virus but fingers crossed it is in decline in Europe. Also a strong chance that one of the UK and US vaccines in the late stages of testing will work and have been rolled out across Europe and North America by the winter time. People need to stay optimistic!
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    Vaccines will be like the flu, etc.:  voluntary.  So the virus will be with us forever as well as new ones.  People thinking it is 'going away' are living a dream.  We are going to have to get that herd immunity, vaccine before they reschedule.  It is the new normal.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,639
    Vaccines will be like the flu, etc.:  voluntary.  So the virus will be with us forever as well as new ones.  People thinking it is 'going away' are living a dream.  We are going to have to get that herd immunity, vaccine before they reschedule.  It is the new normal.  
    Probably right.  
  • Options
    Yah, but herd immunity via infection and vaccine could be a scenario where it goes away.   That's the dream.  Have enough people immune to it that it stops spreading.  It's just that it could take a while to get to that and it mostly hinges on a vaccine, because it's not spreading enough (due to restrictions, social distancing, etc..) to get to herd immunity via infection.

It could mutate like the flu, and different versions floating around every year (hopefully not!).   I'm not sure what we do if that happens.   
  • Options
    We’re getting into an area that most of us are not experts on, but my view (and I’m not a scientist or medical person) is that given the time it will take, if ever, that there is herd immunity via vaccine or infection and recovery, the thing that would be most helpful to unlock things in the short term is a treatment drug that is safe, effective, available and affordable.  Piece of cake, right?

• Options
    kst said:
    We’re getting into an area that most of us are not experts on, but my view (and I’m not a scientist or medical person) is that given the time it will take, if ever, that there is herd immunity via vaccine or infection and recovery, the thing that would be most helpful to unlock things in the short term is a treatment drug that is safe, effective, available and affordable.  Piece of cake, right?
    That's true.   I really would like a Wayne's World type mega happy ending.  We could:

1) Someone could invent a cure/treatment which could go to the masses much faster than a vaccine
    2) The virus could disappear like a fart in the wind

That's all I can think of and the first idea came from the poster above me.  Anyone else want to add the the list of mega happy endings for covid19?
  • Options
    For me personally, if there were a treatment drug that would rescue me if I caught Covid and couldn’t fight it off with my immune system alone, I would be a lot more comfortable to risk being in a crowd.  A vaccine would be ideal, but I’d be good to go if there were a rescue med.  There are some in trials.

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,356
    Probably right.  
    This my opinion as well. It's going to be a long, long time before that all-in challenge prize comes to fruition.
  • Options
    Man, I'd go to a concert today.  I rarely ever get sick, and I'm nearly certain that my immune system has already kicked or would kick the coronavirus in no time at all.  With regard to that one in a million chance, if it's my time to go, then so be it.  Bring it on!
  • Options
    I mean one-in-a-million chance.  Sorry about that.

• Options
    I think the chance might be closer to 1/100 than 1/1 million.  If it was 1/1 million it wouldn’t be a pandemic.

• Options
    Not for me it isn't one in a hundred.  It depends on one's immune system, and I happen to have an excellent one.  Thus, I'm not the least bit worried.  I'm ready to attend concerts now.  The only problem is that nobody's touring.
  • Options
    Oh well, I'll just have more money to allocate toward concerts once this situation is over, because I'm not spending anything for such events now.