Options

Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022

How do the cops get in trouble for entering a private residence but the pastor doesn't? You can't have that both ways.
    The pastor had permission, the police didn’t. 

A property owner is the only one who can allow someone on their land except in extreme or specific circumstances. It’s not up to the police or your neighbour to decide if that permission is there or not. It’s the property owners job.  If I have a no trespassing sign up for example I can have 20 people on my property and randomly say these 3 are trespassing, the others are fine. Who is or isn’t authorised is up to me, not the police  and I can selectively enforce it as much as I want 

the police wouldn’t know, it’s none of their business. Minus a crime in progress that they can clearly see, with a warrant, or at the request of the property owner, the police really shouldn’t be on private property at all. Saying otherwise is a terrifying and dangerous precedent for all manner of government intrusion.  
    Outside, no one to tell them otherwise, yeah, I get the law but the owner isn't there to tell them what is who and where.

I am happy the police checked it out but getting to where it ended is silly.
    If you can’t locate the only person who can give you permission that doesn’t mean you have permission. That’s kind of the point. There were no extreme circumstances that required entering. 

It’s both an interesting private property case and one with racial undertones.

specifically from a property rights perspective the police had no business there, no matter if you are glad they checked it out or not. 

You are saying the police should be the gatekeepers of private property access. 

If there is a light on in my house at night and my neighbour thinks someone may be inside while I’m out of town that isn’t enough evidence for the police to break my door down to check.  It’s a better example of the same thing.  Fundamentally it’s not enough evidence a crime is in progress. If my sister is housesitting and someone is actually there,she absolutely doesn’t have to answer the door nor does she have to let anyone inside or have to justify why she is there 
    The letting someone indoors thing is a big one.  I knew that from years ago.  I begged my friends to not open the door when the cops came, but they did and they rounded us all up and questioned us outside.  I wasn't about to make any situation worse so did as we were asked.
    Yeah I think inside the house and more people agree the cops can’t do that.

the larger point remains the same in both though. It’s literally no different minus them breaking down your door 

You don’t need to justify why you are there or who you are to the police no matter if you are inside or on the lawn IF there isn’t any other supporting evidence you are actively committing a crime.  In this case there wasn’t  any.  
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    edited August 2022
    My daughter (she was 17 at the time) was driving home from working at DQ one evening and got pulled over for speeding. Like 48 in a 40 or something.

Apparently she was hiding her purse when the cop walked up so he had reasonable cause to search her vehicle or at least asked her if he could search and she didn't know any better. Who says no when you are supposed to trust cops?

They found a grinder in her purse with dust particles of marijuana on it. This created an arrest and a year worth of random drug tests and probation type meetings. Since she was under 18 she could enter a diversion program and have it removed from her record which is funny because I can still look it up online.

I always wondered if things would be different if she had refused the search. Not sure if it would have mattered or not.

Another funny thing was that the judge that oversaw the process was arrested for possession of meth not too long after my daughter's arrest.

https://fox59.com/news/indycrime/ex-hamilton-county-magistrate-banned-from-judicial-service-after-meth-case/
    correction...he was a magistrate rather than a judge but same duties

not trying to hijack the thread....just remembered that and thought it was interesting

Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    My daughter (she was 17 at the time) was driving home from working at DQ one evening and got pulled over for speeding. Like 48 in a 40 or something.

Apparently she was hiding her purse when the cop walked up so he had reasonable cause to search her vehicle or at least asked her if he could search and she didn't know any better. Who says no when you are supposed to trust cops?

They found a grinder in her purse with dust particles of marijuana on it. This created an arrest and a year worth of random drug tests and probation type meetings. Since she was under 18 she could enter a diversion program and have it removed from her record which is funny because I can still look it up online.

I always wondered if things would be different if she had refused the search. Not sure if it would have mattered or not.

Another funny thing was that the judge that oversaw the process was arrested for possession of meth not too long after my daughter's arrest.

Of course it would change it. Always refuse then you can argue probable cause later.

a cop can either try to prove 
    1. exigent circumstances as he was in immediate danger and searched without a warrant or 
    2. woken up a judge to explain why they need to authorise a search warrant 
    3. the illegal substance was in plain sight when he walked up 

allowing access and you have no defense. 

Highly unlikely it  would hold up if you had the money for a good lawyer.  That’s the problem, cops are an authority figure so it’s hard to refuse and getting off may require a certain  financial commitment 

you never ever answer any questions without a lawyer either if you are ever questioned. Guilt or innocence has nothing to do with it.  You stay quiet no matter what.  The fact they are talking to you means you are a suspect to them. My dad who was law enforcement my whole life told me that as early as I could remember as I will with mine 
  • Options

Of course it would change it. Always refuse then you can argue probable cause later.

1. exigent circumstances as he was in immediate danger and searched without a warrant or 

Highly unlikely it  would hold up if you had the money for a good lawyer 
    At the time I'm not sure I would have paid the attorney....probably would have thought it was a good lessen.

In hindsight I wish she would have refused and demanded an attorney. It was a pain in the ass to deal with all of that stuff. 

The cops were real assholes to her at the time. All for fucking dust. Hardly worth their time either.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975

https://fox59.com/news/indycrime/ex-hamilton-county-magistrate-banned-from-judicial-service-after-meth-case/

not trying to hijack the thread....just remembered that and thought it was interesting

How long ago was this that weed was a problem?  It always bothered me for years that people got nailed over pot.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

At the time I'm not sure I would have paid the attorney....probably would have thought it was a good lessen.

In hindsight I wish she would have refused and demanded an attorney. It was a pain in the ass to deal with all of that stuff. 

The cops were real assholes to her at the time. All for fucking dust. Hardly worth their time either.

My kids will do stupid kid stuff when they are older I’m sure.

To me teaching a lesson is hard if it could affect them forever.  

If the cops honestly get them doing something wrong is one thing, the cops tricking them into incriminating themselves is another.  It’s a tough call, but for me I want them to have the knowledge first 

having been pulled over for an obvious fishing expedition before I know the reason for the stop often isn’t the actual reason. It’s a way to look for other stuff 
  • Options

How long ago was this that weed was a problem?  It always bothered me for years that people got nailed over pot.
    four years ago....but I'm in IN...the land where Mike Pence and Jesus are one in the same

• Options
    edited August 2022

If the cops honestly get them doing something wrong is one thing, the cops tricking them into incriminating themselves is another.  It’s a tough call, but for me I want them to have the knowledge first 

having been pulled over for an obvious fishing expedition before I know the reason for the stop often isn’t the actual reason. It’s a way to look for other stuff 
    Yeah it was bullshit but she shouldn't have been stuffing that purse in the back seat while he was walking up. I do wish I would have given some advice ahead of time but until you are in that situation I'm not sure she would have even remembered what I said.

There was like four cop cars there. Real overkill. They had everything in the car sat out on the ground and on her hood. Mostly just junk but still humiliating.

• Options
    edited August 2022

It’s enforced aggressively in texas.  Ironic because it’s often the reason for an arrest in urban areas but big cities increasingly refuse to prosecute it 

keeping it illegal and on the books does serve a purpose even if penalties are going down or not enforced.  You still get arrested 
  • Options
    It's just crazy to me that I can drive a few hours to IL or MI and buy marijuana legally. In OH I could get it with a medical card (maybe not as a non-res but definitely residents can) yet IN will bust your ass for dust.

• Options

Yeah it was bullshit but she shouldn't have been stuffing that purse in the back seat while he was walking up. I do wish I would have given some advice ahead of time but until you are in that situation I'm not sure she would have even remembered what I said.

There was like four cop cars there. Real overkill. They had everything in the car sat out on the ground and on her hood. Mostly just junk but still humiliating.
    I have agreed to the search a few times.  Once I was on my way to the airport, bags are packed IN the trunk.  Cop still wants to search.  I told him No. 
    He says" I'll call up the Sargent and they can bring the dogs down and you miss your flight. Your choice"

Not much of one huh?  I've always been clean so the searches were quick and nothing comes of it.  If I wasn't catching a plane I would have wanted the dogs.

I did have another cop count my money in my wallet and go through it 3 times just to make sure there was nothing in it.  That one chapped my ass.
  • Options

four years ago....but I'm in IN...the land where Mike Pence and Jesus are one in the same

It’s enforced aggressively in texas.  Ironic because it’s often the reason for an arrest in urban areas but big cities increasingly refuse to prosecute it 

keeping it illegal and on the books does serve a purpose even if penalties are going down or not enforced.  You still get arrested 
    I seriously thought weed was decriminalized everywhere.  Amazing it's not...
  • Options

I have agreed to the search a few times.  Once I was on my way to the airport, bags are packed IN the trunk.  Cop still wants to search.  I told him No. 
    He says" I'll call up the Sargent and they can bring the dogs down and you miss your flight. Your choice"

Not much of one huh?  I've always been clean so the searches were quick and nothing comes of it.  If I wasn't catching a plane I would have wanted the dogs.

I did have another cop count my money in my wallet and go through it 3 times just to make sure there was nothing in it.  That one chapped my ass.
    crazy...what was the reasoning for wanting to search your bags?

• Options
    edited August 2022

Call their bluff.

a dog is their probable cause though if you did have something.  I have no idea how they interpret dog though (reliably, objectively)

Cop “was that a hit on the bag?” 
    Sargent “Umm I’m not sure”
    cop “what did he do?”
    Sargent “ he sniffed then scratched himself”
    cop: “good enough”

A court would accept a dogs word for it, as interpreted by a human via non verbal body movements.  They could just train a special dog to hit  on everything when they just want to search stuff, how would we know? 
  • Options

PA plates in Florida on a said "known drug running trail"  

I even said to the cop, am I not headed towards the airport?
  • Options
    edited August 2022

PA plates in Florida on a said "known drug running trail"  

I even said to the cop, am I not headed towards the airport?
    That’s exactly what I got. Montana plates in Victoria Texas at 2am.

That was the reason I got pulled over. Not a single moving violation. Shady 

they didn’t search as I said no. In that a town of that size a judge would need to be woken up and would probably yell at the cop 

I did appreciate them not making up a reason for the stop as I would have been really pissed getting a speeding ticket for going  probably 2mph under the speed limit 
  • Options

Call their bluff.

a dog is their probable cause though if you did have something.  I have no idea how they interpret dog though (reliably)

cop “what did he do?”

A court would accept a dogs word for it, as interpreted by a human via non verbal body movements.  They could just train a special dog to hit  on everything when they just want to search stuff, how would we know? 
    Going through AZ they have dogs, microwave, xray and all sorts of shit you have to drive through.  I am shocked at how any of that is legal.

So again, I have always been clean so none of that phases me and I do let them check.  I fell a sense of pride when they come up with shit and if they had ever planted some on me I would have had a long list of character witness' that would follow up w a lawsuit.
  • Options

I seriously thought weed was decriminalized everywhere.  Amazing it's not...
    It might be in Indianapolis....just not my county

• Options
    edited August 2022

Call their bluff.

a dog is their probable cause though if you did have something.  I have no idea how they interpret dog though (reliably)

cop “what did he do?”

Going through AZ they have dogs, microwave, xray and all sorts of shit you have to drive through.  I am shocked at how any of that is legal.

So again, I have always been clean so none of that phases me and I do let them check.  I fell a sense of pride when they come up with shit and if they had ever planted some on me I would have had a long list of character witness' that would follow up w a lawsuit.
    Airports or border? That’s probably why it’s legal 

up to like 100 miles from a border you don’t have a lot of rights you do outside that zone. Or at least they are restricted. If it’s done by CBP 
  • Options

Call their bluff.

cop “what did he do?”

Airports or border? That’s probably why it’s legal 

up to like 100 miles from a border you don’t have a lot of rights you do outside that zone. Or at least they are restricted. If it’s done by CBP 
    AZ was near the border obviously, hence the xray stuff.  I always found that to be crazy.

Airport was nodda, just that prick telling me he would get the dogs.

Here is a GREAT story from one of my buddies.  We all were moving on to the next job from VA to PA.  Two brothers were tag teaming the trip in their vehicles.  Next exit was a huge sign that says "Drug checkpoint in 2 exits"  They both got off at the next one and guess who was waiting there?  The drug checkpoint, lol.  They had all of their shit out on the road searching for anything.  My buddy said "damn man, I just have to pee" lol.

Both were former paroles so they didn't have much of a say.

Always thought that was funny and messed up.

Oh that was in VA.  Another good in VA.  Coming around a turn there is a cop, in the middle of the road, stopping people for their drivers' license.  I told him I don't think it's legal, he tells me "it's just a safety check."  

Yeah sure...  I've got more I will have to remember.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,576

Look into the process of having her record expunged. Too many people assume that your juvenile record is sealed and not available for hits on searches. That has the potential to haunt her for the rest of her life, particularly in employment, licensing and lending. Know the process and get written confirmation from the court. It’s BS that you have to do it but it’s one of those little things that can hold you back from a brighter future.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Look into the process of having her record expunged. Too many people assume that your juvenile record is sealed and not available for hits on searches. That has the potential to haunt her for the rest of her life, particularly in employment, licensing and lending. Know the process and get written confirmation from the court. It’s BS that you have to do it but it’s one of those little things that can hold you back from a brighter future.
    ^^^^^This.

Found out the hard way when I tried to get my first office job. Accidentally "lied" on my paperwork and had to go through some bullshit.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

^^^^^This.

Found out the hard way when I tried to get my first office job. Accidentally "lied" on my paperwork and had to go through some bullshit.
    And “sealed” and “expunged” are two different things. Sealed is supposedly sealed to the public at large and only available to law enforcement and expunged is as if she were never arrested, charged and convicted. Much more arduous process.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    dankind said:

^^^^^This.

It’s amazing to me how a mistake as a kid or young adult can basically ruin your life.  

I’d also be willing to bet in most cases, getting something dismissed, expunged etc is directly related to your ability to pay, navigate the system, having someone help 

probably falls on racial/economic lines as does charging juveniles as adults 

if it’s a felony and you get charged as an adult it’s a different ballgame entirely 

This is the power the police have and our justice system uses to keep on punishing people forever. Once you are off probation or parole your debt has been paid. A company refusing to hire someone for a 30 year old crime shouldn’t even be allowed but it happens every day 
  • Options
    dankind said:

^^^^^This.

It’s amazing to me how a mistake as a kid or young adult can basically ruin your life.  

I’d also be willing to bet in most cases, getting something dismissed, expunged etc is directly related to you ability to pay, navigate the system, having someone help 

This is the power the police have and our justice system uses to keep on punishing people forever. 
    Exactly. The worst is that employers and lenders don’t have to tell you why you weren’t hired or didn’t get the loan and folks think sealed or that they’re juvenile record isn’t available to searches and a lot of times when you sign applications you’re authorizing the release of said records. You might need an attorney to get it done but it’s worth it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    dankind said:

^^^^^This.

I’d also be willing to bet in most cases, getting something dismissed, expunged etc is directly related to you ability to pay, navigate the system, having someone help 

This is the power the police have and our justice system uses to keep on punishing people forever. 
    Exactly. The worst is that employers and lenders don’t have to tell you why you weren’t hired or didn’t get the loan and folks think sealed or that they’re juvenile record isn’t available to searches and a lot of times when you sign applications you’re authorizing the release of said records. You might need an attorney to get it done but it’s worth it.
    If you really want to address repeat criminals you need to acknowledge the fact they aren’t really hireable to begin with.  What are they supposed to do?

then people wonder why prison is a revolving door 

regardless of skills or qualifications being a janitor may be the only thing they can be. Just not in a school, hospital, or in an office building.  Or maybe they can’t be a janitor 

you are turning maybe a 5 year sentence to a life sentence 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    It's just crazy to me that I can drive a few hours to IL or MI and buy marijuana legally. In OH I could get it with a medical card (maybe not as a non-res but definitely residents can) yet IN will bust your ass for dust.
    Was the fact she was a minor and had possession of it while driving? I would think so. Seems like the equivalent of having an empty beer can in the passenger seat floor if you’re 17. They’ll bust you hard for that.
    Not saying your daughter deserves it, just thinking they came down harder for those reasons.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    mace1229 said:
    Was the fact she was a minor and had possession of it while driving? I would think so. Seems like the equivalent of having an empty beer can in the passenger seat floor if you’re 17. They’ll bust you hard for that.
    Not saying your daughter deserves it, just thinking they came down harder for those reasons.
    If it’s illegal across all ages I don’t think you could get away with a punishment  more severe based being younger, or older. Certainly you could argue that though 

if you are charging a juvenile in juvenile court the sentence should be less or not applicable to an adult since it’s not necessarily a crime for an adult 

Alcohol offences or presumably drugs may be more severe for a juvenile in a case of it leading to a revoked drivers licence. However some states don’t offer a full license to young drivers and it’s more of a provisional one so it’s way easier to take away 
  • Options
    An empty beer can on the passenger seat floor is not enough to arrest someone and charge them, regardless of age. For the driver to be charged there needs to be additional evidence that the driver had been drinking or is impaired, or that there’s still enough quantity of beer in the container to be charged with an open container violation and/or possession of alcohol by a minor. You could fill your car with empty beer cans and drive to the redemption center and you can’t be pulled over for it or be arrested, unless there’s an underlying infraction like obstruction of the review or you fail to signal, etc.

Do we still have a constitution?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    An empty beer can on the passenger seat floor is not enough to arrest someone and charge them, regardless of age. For the driver to be charged there needs to be additional evidence that the driver had been drinking or is impaired, or that there’s still enough quantity of beer in the container to be charged with an open container violation and/or possession of alcohol by a minor. You could fill your car with empty beer cans and drive to the redemption center and you can’t be pulled over for it or be arrested, unless there’s an underlying infraction like obstruction of the review or you fail to signal, etc.

Do we still have a constitution?
    Does residue count?

it does with drugs 

I’m being serious. 20 empty beer cans has a measurable amount of alcohol as they are never totally empty , when the legally allowable amount is zero.  Someone has surely tried it and issued a minor in possession