Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Black Lives Matter

1272829303133»

Comments

• HobbesHobbes Pacific NorthwestPosts: 5,045
    Dolly is a treasure.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 34,785
    First of all, no doubt about it, Dolly Parton is a wonder lady.  But what am I missing here?  She has tons of money and bought a building for herself in Nashville in a black neighborhood.  How is this related to Black Lives Matter and what does this do for black lives in general?

Don't get me wrong- I am in no way being critical here.  I just don't understand how this helps black live.
    "The earth- we could have saved it but we were too damn cheap and lazy."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 18,378
    Welcome 2 America gatefold. Still reeling from this loss five years (and change) later. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 335
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/07/16/richard-sherman-wifes-frightening-911-call-hes-threatening-to-kill-himself/

So if anyone still wonders if all black people worry about police responses the answer is yes, even if you have money. 
    I get the point you're trying to prove here but did you read the whole article?

It clearly says Richard Sherman was drunk and belligerent. It also says he was being aggressive and fighting with his uncle.

It doesn't matter what color you are, if you are drunk, belligerent and aggressive, you should be worried about the police response.

The article doesn't mention how Richard Sherman was let out of jail without bail because the judge considers him a  "pillar of the community". He was drinking and driving, crashed his car on the highway, fighting with his uncle and then fighting with the police and injured the police during his arrest.

I'm not trying to make light of the violence against the black community but this is a poor example of black people having to worry about police response.

Richard Sherman's wife was rightfully worried about the police shooting him but it shouldn't of been because of the color of his skin.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 25,258
    JB16057 said:
    https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/07/16/richard-sherman-wifes-frightening-911-call-hes-threatening-to-kill-himself/

So if anyone still wonders if all black people worry about police responses the answer is yes, even if you have money. 

It clearly says Richard Sherman was drunk and belligerent. It also says he was being aggressive and fighting with his uncle.

It doesn't matter what color you are, if you are drunk, belligerent and aggressive, you should be worried about the police response.

The article doesn't mention how Richard Sherman was let out of jail without bail because the judge considers him a  "pillar of the community". He was drinking and driving, crashed his car on the highway, fighting with his uncle and then fighting with the police and injured the police during his arrest.

I'm not trying to make light of the violence against the black community but this is a poor example of black people having to worry about police response.

Richard Sherman's wife was rightfully worried about the police shooting him but it shouldn't of been because of the color of his skin.

Wait....you think someone being drunk and disorderly should make them fear for their lives?
    What happened to tasers?  Other ways to subdue?
    Wasn't like the guy is running around with a gun.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 28,602
    JB16057 said:

Wait....you think someone being drunk and disorderly should make them fear for their lives?

Or that after all that has transpired over the past 5 or 6 years that the color of your skin doesn't influence how the police respond?
    09/15/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/29/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield, MA; 08/18/08, O2 London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA;

"If you're looking down on someone, it better be to extend them a hand to lift them up."

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 25,258
    JB16057 said:

Or that after all that has transpired over the past 5 or 6 years that the color of your skin doesn't influence how the police respond?

Yeah, I think that is just as crazy...but, putting that aside...being a drunk asswipe gets you shot these days?
    What in the heck is going on?
    No weapon, no hostages or anything like that, just a drunken mess.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    JB16057 said:

Yeah, I think that is just as crazy...but, putting that aside...being a drunk asswipe gets you shot these days?
    What in the heck is going on?
    No weapon, no hostages or anything like that, just a drunken mess.

A drunken AGGRESSIVE mess. He fought with the cops and injured them. No taser or gun was used luckily.

To answer your question, no, only being a drunk ass wipe does not mean you deserve to get shot. My point is that if you choose to fight with the police, you increase your chances of being shot. That seems like common sense to me.
    JB16057 said:

The color of his skin obviously didn't influence how the police responded to THIS incident. Like I said in my original statement, "I'm not trying to make light of the violence against the black community but this is a poor example of black people having to worry about police response. "
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 524
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

The color of his skin obviously didn't influence how the police responded to THIS incident. Like I said in my original statement, "I'm not trying to make light of the violence against the black community but this is a poor example of black people having to worry about police response. "
    I did read the entire article.  
    Since I posted the original I’ll throw my two cents in.  My thoughts were based on my father waving a gun around threatening suicide on several occasions (no he didn’t drink, just fucking crazy) during my childhood but never once did we think the cops would shoot him when we called for help. 
    So I get what your saying…guess it was a kind of flashback for me and I compared the two incidents so maybe not the best example.  
    I'm sorry to hear your story. 

If I remember correctly, Richard Sherman had all of his guns taken away from him a few months ago because he was threatening to kill himself then as well. I can't remember the whole story as it only came to light last month during this incident.

He has been going through some mental struggles and I hope he receives the help he needs.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 22,425
    great piece by dan rather and his team.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 22,425
    another one down.....

Statue of Confederate Robert E. Lee taken down in Virginia
    By SARAH RANKIN and DENISE LAVOIE
    9 mins ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Crews using a crane and other heavy equipment on Wednesday hoisted an enormous statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee off the giant pedestal where it has towered over Virginia’s capital city for more than a century.

The piece, one of America’s largest monuments to the Confederacy, was lifted away to boisterous cheers from a crowd of hundreds. Some chanted “whose streets? Our streets!" and “Hey hey hey, goodbye.”

The statue was lowered to the ground where it was expected to be cut into pieces so that it can be brought to a secure location, where it will be stored until its final disposition is determined.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story follows below.

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — After years of resistance and a long court battle, one of America’s largest monuments to the Confederacy was being pulled from its prominent perch in Virginia’s capital city Wednesday.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam ordered the Richmond statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee taken down last summer, citing the pain felt across the country over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis after a white police officer pressed a knee into his neck. But until a recent court ruling cleared the way, Northam’s plans had been tied up in litigation.

The statue, a 21-foot (6-meter) bronze equestrian sculpture that sits atop a pedestal nearly twice that tall, has towered above a prominent residential boulevard named Monument Avenue since 1890 in this former capital of the Confederacy.

Crews began work before 8 a.m. Wednesday. Two public viewing areas were set up, with only limited visibility. A crowd of about 200 people chanted “What do we want? Justice. When do we want it? Now!” as a work crew dwarfed by the size of the statue strapped red and blue harnesses to the Lee figure and his horse. The workers were lifted up to the statue on platforms.

The state brought in a deconstruction crew surrounded by a heavy police presence to strap the statue to a crane. State, capitol and city police officers closed streets for blocks around the state-owned traffic circle in Richmond, using heavy equipment and crowd-control barriers to keep crowds away. The Federal Aviation Administration granted the state’s request to ban drone flights during the event, which will be livestreamed through the governor’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.

“This is a historic moment for the city of Richmond. The city, the community at large is saying that we’re not going to stand for these symbols of hate in our city anymore. And it was important for me to be here to see this historic moment,” said Rachel Smucker, 28, a Richmond resident who was at the viewing site early Wednesday with her sister.

Smucker, who is white, said she moved to Richmond around three years ago. It was her first time living in the South, and she found Monument Avenue “jarring.”

“I’ve always found it to be offensive, as a symbol of protecting slavery and the racism that people of color still face today,” Smucker said.

The one-of-a-kind piece, valued for its artistic quality, stood among four other massive Confederate statues on the avenue, but the city removed the others last summer.

“We put things on pedestals when we want people to look up,” Northam said in June 2020 when he announced the removal plan. “Think about the message that this sends to people coming from around the world to visit the capital city of one of the largest states in our country. Or to young children.”

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14