Options

Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,556
    Saw this on my afternoon run the other day.....

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    edited July 2020
    Wow that is pretty good.  Hope no white, hater smashes the windows out.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Although I haven't done comprehensive research, from what I've read, I haven't seen any data showing increase in covid cases linked to the outdoor protests. Most pics I saw showed a lot of people wearing masks and keeping some distance, and in a protest you are not generally in close quarters with any one person for more than a few minutes, making your risk of exposure much less. 

However, have definitely seen data suggesting increase in cases linked to big indoor events (I'm looking at you, Trump). Also increase in cases for some outdoor activities where people did not wear masks and were in very close quarters for lengthy periods of time. 

So there's that, if anyone is actually looking for logic.
    Well under that logic, parades and block festivals should be fine then. 
    Exactly, as long as people are encouraged to wear masks, the parades and all other outdoor events are no less safe than any protests.  

No, not "all other outdoor events". Certainly many outdoor events are safer, but not the type where people are in one place for a long period of time, particularly in crowds. Thus outdoor concerts (sadly) and sports events are probably going to continue to be a problem.

Parades would be a problem because crowds line the streets and stand in one place for hours.
    I asked for data, not an opinion.  In my logic based “opinion”, protests are a great way to spread the virus as well based on logical assumptions they also meander and hang out in large groups for extended periods of time.  Maybe the tear gas and pepper spray is killing the virus instead of making people cough all over each other? Ha

Okay.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/black-lives-matter-protests-didnt-contribute-to-covid19-surge#Why-its-different

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-events/did-events-like-protests-and-bar-reopenings-lead-to-spikes-in-covid-19-cases-idUSKBN249335

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-protests.html
    So the first article seems to suggest that all of the protests were during the daytime, mentioning that the sun and wind helped prevent the spread...Are they suggesting that they were not protesting at night?
    The second mentions sanitation and mask wearing...something that people should do and can do at ANY outdoor events.  Just encourage that behavior at all events...
    And so far, there is still no actual data showing that outdoor events or concerts are more or less dangerous than protests, but there were some great assumptions in those articles... 
    It’s politics, nothing more, nothing less.
    You cannot say that “there are no peer reviewed links” related to protests and virus spread as being a reason for them being allowed and then make non-peer reviewed assumptions about ballparks or outdoor venues being unsafe..

You do you. I’ll go with the professionals on this one, including the epidemiologists and other scientists who offered their data and opinions. 
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Although I haven't done comprehensive research, from what I've read, I haven't seen any data showing increase in covid cases linked to the outdoor protests. Most pics I saw showed a lot of people wearing masks and keeping some distance, and in a protest you are not generally in close quarters with any one person for more than a few minutes, making your risk of exposure much less. 

However, have definitely seen data suggesting increase in cases linked to big indoor events (I'm looking at you, Trump). Also increase in cases for some outdoor activities where people did not wear masks and were in very close quarters for lengthy periods of time. 

Exactly, as long as people are encouraged to wear masks, the parades and all other outdoor events are no less safe than any protests.  

No, not "all other outdoor events". Certainly many outdoor events are safer, but not the type where people are in one place for a long period of time, particularly in crowds. Thus outdoor concerts (sadly) and sports events are probably going to continue to be a problem.

Parades would be a problem because crowds line the streets and stand in one place for hours.
    I asked for data, not an opinion.  In my logic based “opinion”, protests are a great way to spread the virus as well based on logical assumptions they also meander and hang out in large groups for extended periods of time.  Maybe the tear gas and pepper spray is killing the virus instead of making people cough all over each other? Ha

Okay.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/black-lives-matter-protests-didnt-contribute-to-covid19-surge#Why-its-different

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-events/did-events-like-protests-and-bar-reopenings-lead-to-spikes-in-covid-19-cases-idUSKBN249335

So the first article seems to suggest that all of the protests were during the daytime, mentioning that the sun and wind helped prevent the spread...Are they suggesting that they were not protesting at night?
    The second mentions sanitation and mask wearing...something that people should do and can do at ANY outdoor events.  Just encourage that behavior at all events...
    And so far, there is still no actual data showing that outdoor events or concerts are more or less dangerous than protests, but there were some great assumptions in those articles... 
    You cannot say that “there are no peer reviewed links” related to protests and virus spread as being a reason for them being allowed and then make non-peer reviewed assumptions about ballparks or outdoor venues being unsafe..

You do you. I’ll go with the professionals on this one, including the epidemiologists and other scientists who offered their data and opinions. 
    I’ll do the same:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-evaluate-coronavirus-risks-from-black-lives-matter-protests/

I'm also not sure what your point was with this article. No one has claimed there's zero risk with protests, just that it seems to be lower than some other types of outdoor activities, which your expert also notes.
    I think we are both missing each other’s points, so I’ll leave it at that.  Off to do more important things, enjoy your weekend!
    Hope yours was a good one!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

I’ll do the same:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-evaluate-coronavirus-risks-from-black-lives-matter-protests/

I'm also not sure what your point was with this article. No one has claimed there's zero risk with protests, just that it seems to be lower than some other types of outdoor activities, which your expert also notes.
    I think we are both missing each other’s points, so I’ll leave it at that.  Off to do more important things, enjoy your weekend!
    Hope yours was a good one!
    His weekend or his point?

;)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Well everything else is getting defaced. If Virgin Mary statues are going to be set on fire, there's no reason BLM murals can't be defaced too...

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    Well everything else is getting defaced. If Virgin Mary statues are going to be set on fire, there's no reason BLM murals can't be defaced too...

And this is why I hated this from the beginning.  Lack of leadership all around.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649

Could have been done by a former choirboy. It’s not like the Catholic Church doesn’t have baggage or clean hands. Not everything traces back to BLM.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Could have been done by a former choirboy. It’s not like the Catholic Church doesn’t have baggage or clean hands. Not everything traces back to BLM.
    Sure it does. Since the Floyd murder, people have felt empowered to go around destroying stuff. Especially symbols of things. Symbols of America like George Washington, symbols of Christianity like Virgin Mary, etc. So if even if it was a disgruntled choirboy, if not for the aftermath of the Floyd murder, he probably wouldn't have done this. 

Do you think people were openly going around spray-painting stuff like this before the Floyd "movement"?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Good article by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar about the lack of outrage over anti-Semitism, with criticisms of the likes of Stephen Jackson and Ice Cube...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kareem-abdul-jabbar-is-outrage-anti-semitism-sports-hollywood-1303210

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Where Is the Outrage Over Anti-Semitism in Sports and Hollywood?

Recent incidents of anti-Semitic tweets and posts from sports and entertainment celebrities are a very troubling omen for the future of the Black Lives Matter movement, but so too is the shocking lack of massive indignation. Given the New Woke-fulness in Hollywood and the sports world, we expected more passionate public outrage. What we got was a shrug of meh-rage.

When reading the dark squishy entrails of popular culture, meh-rage in the face of sustained prejudice is an indisputable sign of the coming Apatholypse: apathy to all forms of social justice. After all, if it’s OK to discriminate against one group of people by hauling out cultural stereotypes without much pushback, it must be OK to do the same to others. Illogic begets illogic.Ice Cube’s June 10 daylong series of tweets, which involved some creepy symbols and images, in general implied that Jews were responsible for the oppression of blacks. NFL player DeSean Jackson tweeted out several anti-Semitic messages, including a quote he incorrectly thought was from Hitler (not your go-to guy for why-can’t-we-all-get-along quotes) stating that Jews had a plan to “extort America” and achieve “world domination.” Isn’t that SPECTRE’s job in James Bond movies?These statements would be laughed at by anyone with a middle-school grasp of reason, but then former NBA player Stephen Jackson, a self-proclaimed activist, undid whatever progress his previous advocacy may have achieved by agreeing with DeSean Jackson on social media. Then he went on to talk about the Rothschilds owning all the banks and his support for the notorious homophobe and anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan. That is the kind of dehumanizing characterization of a people that causes the police abuses that killed his friend, George Floyd.June continued to bust out all over with anti-Semitism when performer Chelsea Handler, herself Jewish, posted videos of Farrakhan to her 3.9 million followers. That means almost 4 million people received a subliminal message that even some Jews think being anti-Jewish is justified.That same month, President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign also has been criticized for exploiting anti-Jewish biases, even though Trump’s son-in-law and campaign honcho Jared Kushner is Jewish and his daughter Ivanka converted to Judaism before they married. Playing on the same Rothschild’s trope, they issued a letter accusing three billionaires of Jewish descent of using their fortunes to “rig the November election.” This is the kind of “very fine people on both sides” Trump has employed throughout his political career — pandering to hate groups that has emboldened racists who feel like they’ve gotten the presidential OK to attack people they don’t like.These famous, outspoken people share the same scapegoat logic as all oppressive groups from Nazis to the KKK: all our troubles are because of bad-apple groups that worship wrong, have the wrong complexion, come from the wrong country, are the wrong gender or love the wrong gender. It’s so disheartening to see people from groups that have been violently marginalized do the same thing to others without realizing that perpetuating this kind of bad logic is what perpetuates racism.Yes, some of the above have apologized — DeSean Jackson, Stephen Jackson, Chelsea Handler — while others continue to defiantly marinate in their own prejudice. Their arrogant and irrational response to accusations of anti-Semitism, rather than dissuade us, actually confirmed people’s worst opinions. Ice Cube’s response was remorseless: “What if I was just pro-Black? This is the truth brother. I didn’t lie on anyone. I didn’t say I was anti anybody. DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE. I’ve been telling my truth.” His “truth” was clearly anti-Semitic but, like Trump, he believes his truth exists outside facts. As writer Roxane Gay summed it up: “It is impossible to take you seriously with regards to social justice or anything when you post anti-Semitic imagery. What the fuck are you doing?”Even the apologies floundered, more attempts at spin than true contrition. In a CNN interview, Stephen Jackson was angry and belligerent at being called out: “I stated I could have changed my words. There’s nothing that I said that I support any of that. There’s nothing I said that I hate anybody. I apologize for my words and I could have switched up. That’s the end of it. I love everybody.” While it’s possible the words were wrong, celebrities have a responsibility to get the words right. It’s not enough to have good intentions, because it’s the actual deeds — and words — which have the real impact. In this case destructive impact. In 2013, there were 751 reported hate crimes against Jews, but by 2019 the number had nearly tripled to 2,107. That same year, a gunman in San Diego entered a synagogue and murdered one person while wounding three.One of the most powerful songs in the struggle against racism is Billie Holiday’s melancholic “Strange Fruit,” which was first recorded in 1939. The song met strong resistance from radio stations afraid of its graphic lyrics about lynching:Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
    Black bodies swinging in the Southern breeze
    Strange fruit hanging from the poplar treesDespite those who wanted to suppress the song, it went on to sell a million copies that year and became Holiday’s best-selling record ever. The song was written by a white, Jewish high school teacher, Abel Meeropol, who performed it with his wife around New York before it was given to Holiday.

The lesson never changes, so why is it so hard for some people to learn: No one is free until everyone is free. As Martin Luther King Jr. explained: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality.” So, let’s act like it. If we’re going to be outraged by injustice, let’s be outraged by injustice against anyone.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Sure it does. Since the Floyd murder, people have felt empowered to go around destroying stuff. Especially symbols of things. Symbols of America like George Washington, symbols of Christianity like Virgin Mary, etc. So if even if it was a disgruntled choirboy, if not for the aftermath of the Floyd murder, he probably wouldn't have done this. 

Do you think people were openly going around spray-painting stuff like this before the Floyd "movement"?

That could have been done by Proud Boys or Buggaloos to stir shit up, particularly as the graffiti lacks Skilz, yo. What’s behind the fence? And yes, shit like that was spray painted before George Floyd’s murder, you just didn’t hear about it nor were afraid because of it.

People have been vandalizing shit since the beginning of time and spray painting or tagging shit since spray paint was invented. But let’s blame all vandalism and spray painting on the post George Floyd protests. “Get back in your place, you doth protesteth too much.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

That could have been done by Proud Boys or Buggaloos to stir shit up, particularly as the graffiti lacks Skilz, yo. What’s behind the fence? And yes, shit like that was spray painted before George Floyd’s murder, you just didn’t hear about it nor were afraid because of it.

People have been vandalizing shit since the beginning of time and spray painting or tagging shit since spray paint was invented. But let’s blame all vandalism and spray painting on the post George Floyd protests. “Get back in your place, you doth protesteth too much.”
    So a Virgin Mary statue is defaced, maybe it's a choirboy! 

"Kill White People" is spray-painted, maybe it's white supremacist trying to stir shit!

A girl is shot for saying "All Lives Matter," immediately you speculated that maybe she or her friends said the N-word!

Let me guess, the one-year-old that was murdered in NYC ripped the murderers off and the kid had it coming?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829

"Kill White People" is spray-painted, maybe it's white supremacist trying to stir shit!

A girl is shot for saying "All Lives Matter," immediately you speculated that maybe she or her friends said the N-word!

Let me guess, the one-year-old that was murdered in NYC ripped the murderers off and the kid had it coming?

Welcome to our world. For the entire existence of social media every swastika and racist property destruction act (dating way before BLM), is met with right wing "I bet it was a libruhl tryin' to stir shit up.  White nationalsts don't do that kinda stuff." 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    OnWis97 said:

Welcome to our world. For the entire existence of social media every swastika and racist property destruction act (dating way before BLM), is met with right wing "I bet it was a libruhl tryin' to stir shit up.  White nationalsts don't do that kinda stuff." 
    Well that’s stupid for right-wing people on social media to say that. As it’s stupid by Halifax here. So I guess left-wing partisan hacks are similar to right-wing partisan hacks. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Because former choir boys ain’t got no reason, right?

Buggaloos and Proud Boys ain’t never tried to stir shit up, right?

I didn’t speculate, I read the NY Post article reporting about what transpired. It said the following:

They argued with another group after one of the people Whitaker was with used a racial slur, her bereaved fiancé, Jose Ramirez, told WXIN.

A racially charged confrontation ensued with the other group, during which the suspect’s group shouted, “Black Lives Matter,” and someone in Whitaker’s group — possibly her — said, “all lives matter,” Ramirez said.

Is that what you think the 1 year old did? You're whacked, yo.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Well that’s stupid for right-wing people on social media to say that. As it’s stupid by Halifax here. So I guess left-wing partisan hacks are similar to right-wing partisan hacks. 
    What exactly is "stupid" for me to say?

Hence forth, let it be known, all acts of vandalism and spray painting are now the fault of BLM.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    edited July 2020
    Hate seems to abound everywhere these days.  Every color hating every other color.  Ever religion hating every other religion.  Every political persuasion hating every other political persuasion.

Or is it just that hate sells and the media seizes upon anything and everything that sells?  There is a lot of hate going around, of that there is no doubt.    I just hope Neil is right, that "Love and only love will endure."

But I don't know.  A lot of it has to do with labels and mottos.  "Liberal".  "Conservative".  "Black Lives Matter".  "Make America Great Again."  "Environmentalists".  "Climate Change Deniers"  People defend their labels and mottos to the point of hating everyone with a different label.  We are too symbol minded.  We defend our label but never really talk about how to come together for the good of all.  All doesn't matter.  Label and motto matters. 

I'm starting to feel like it's all bullshit.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited July 2020

I didn’t speculate, I read the NY Post article reporting about what transpired. It said the following:

They argued with another group after one of the people Whitaker was with used a racial slur, her bereaved fiancé, Jose Ramirez, told WXIN.

A racially charged confrontation ensued with the other group, during which the suspect’s group shouted, “Black Lives Matter,” and someone in Whitaker’s group — possibly her — said, “all lives matter,” Ramirez said.

As you well know, that's a caricature of you, obviously. You look to place blame anywhere and everywhere except where you know it belongs, to fit your politcal narratives, so that does seem like something you'd say. You sure as hell won't acknowledge how shootings are rising under De Blasio (up 130% from last year). Or that it was two black dudes that shot the one-year-old, because not the type of gun violence you like to talk about, yo. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    OnWis97 said:

Hence forth, let it be known, all acts of vandalism and spray painting are now the fault of BLM.
    For your first instinct to be to attribute anything bad that happens to the opposing political persuasion. So if I think it's stupid for a right-winger to blame a swastika on a liberal trying to stir shit, then I think it's stupid for you to speculate that white supremacists spray-painted "kill white people."

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,806

As you well know, that's a caricature of you, obviously. You look to place blame anywhere and everywhere except where you know it belongs, to fit your politcal narratives, so that does seem like something you'd say. You sure as hell won't acknowledge how shootings are rising under De Blasio (up 130% from last year). Or that it was two black dudes that shot the one-year-old, because not the type of gun violence you like to talk about, yo. 
    Exactly. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a national treasure and I enjoy it whenever he writes.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

Oh no a fictional character was defaced *wrings hands* “let’s discount real oppression happening in our society“
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Nope, but the recent trend is the fault of leaders condoning it and then becoming part of it.  And yes, even leaders in the BLM movement.  And yes, those idiots that just wanted to troll trump in DC and NYC.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a national treasure and I enjoy it whenever he writes.
    Totally. Level-headed and wise. 

He sees what’s happening with some of this rhetoric and he’s being a voice of reason. I wish he had more of a leadership role though. It’d be nice if some of these guys were parroting what he says, rather than what Farrakhan says. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    static111 said:

Oh no a fictional character was defaced *wrings hands* “let’s discount real oppression happening in our society“
    So I suppose it's carte blanche because of oppression in society.  That's a real shitty take.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188

OnWis97 said:

Not just similar, they act exactly the same without somehow realizing it.
  • Options
    static111 said:

I’m not discounting oppression. I was responding to a BLM mural being defaced, and noted that everything is being defaced these days. So if there’s nothing important about a Mary statue or a Washington statue, what’s important about a BLM mural on a street? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

I don't believe I commented on the one year old and I also believe my stance on firearms and "responsible" gun owners is well known. While you seem to want to blame gun violence solely on a person or group's skin color, I tend to think its much more complicated than that. Like unemployment, lack of opportunity, drugs, gangs, institutionalized racism, and yes, "responsible" gun owners flooding the illegal gun buyers market. You claim not to see "race" but yet you perpetuate the stereotypes. Constantly. See the NY Post article and your comment to me about me wanting to say maybe the N word was used. Nice to know that you also defend the Catholic church, a harmless/blameless organization. I wonder what the caricature of you would be because we all know white people don't shoot anyone?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

For your first instinct to be to attribute anything bad that happens to the opposing political persuasion. So if I think it's stupid for a right-winger to blame a swastika on a liberal trying to stir shit, then I think it's stupid for you to speculate that white supremacists spray-painted "kill white people."
    Do you have direct evidence that that spray painted wall was done by BLM? Or the burning of the virgin mary? No, you don't. But you're attributing those acts of vandalsim to BLM. Why is that? Your first instinct is better than mine? I said "maybe" or "could have." You seem to know its a fact its BLM fault. I doubt you can discern the difference in approaches.

Henceforth, let it be known, all acts of vandalism are now attributable to BLM.

Brilliantati©