Options

Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    brianlux said:
    Nothing is funny about it, it just doesn't work if you are black.
    (The system doesn't run on peace love and understanding)

I agree, I agree, and I agree. 
    It's still my aim: peace, love and understanding.  Can you dig it?
    Of course - all admirable goals that would see us a much better world.

I keep trying, my friend.
    It's hard to be half peace maker/ half warrior.  I don't know WTF that makes me.  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited July 2020
    De Blasio has canceled all large gathering in NYC due to Covid-19....except for Black Lives Matter protests. Parades, festivals, etc. are all off until September 30th. But BLM protests, which aren't that dissimilar from parades/festivals from a gathering-of-people standpoint, can go on.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/10/bill-de-blasio-cancels-all-large-gatherings-except/
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2020
    De Blasio has canceled all large gathering in NYC due to Covid-19....except for Black Lives Matter protests. Parades, festivals, etc. are all off until September 30th. But BLM protests, which aren't that dissimilar from parades/festivals from a gathering-of-people standpoint, can go on.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/10/bill-de-blasio-cancels-all-large-gatherings-except/
    I’m guessing all other types of protests are okay too?  I am really trying to understand the logic to this...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

I’m guessing all other types of protests are okay too?  I am really trying to understand the logic to this...
    Good luck. If you come across any logic, let me know. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

The only logical conclusion I can come up with is “it’s about politics”.  If it’s truly unsafe for large gatherings to happen and he truly cares about black lives, then I would think there would be a little more discouraging of mass protests too.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    I had to cancel my birthday party. Instead I’m protesting turning 40. I invited the same people to the protest. There will be cake for those who help protest my cause.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

The only logical conclusion I can come up with is “it’s about politics”.  If it’s truly unsafe for large gatherings to happen and he truly cares about black lives, then I would think there would be a little more discouraging of mass protests too.  
    Yes, that's the correct answer. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I had to cancel my birthday party. Instead I’m protesting turning 40. I invited the same people to the protest. There will be cake for those who help protest my cause.
    You’re good, don’t you know you cannot catch the rona if you are in a protest.  Evidently they are like magic immunity bubbles...
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,810
    PJPOWER said:

Dumbest thing ever. Makes absolutely no sense. Even if he wants to cancel the protests, he can’t.  He’ll get canceled. Which wouldn’t be the worst thing. I cannot stand him. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Although I haven't done comprehensive research, from what I've read, I haven't seen any data showing increase in covid cases linked to the outdoor protests. Most pics I saw showed a lot of people wearing masks and keeping some distance, and in a protest you are not generally in close quarters with any one person for more than a few minutes, making your risk of exposure much less. 

However, have definitely seen data suggesting increase in cases linked to big indoor events (I'm looking at you, Trump). Also increase in cases for some outdoor activities where people did not wear masks and were in very close quarters for lengthy periods of time. 

So there's that, if anyone is actually looking for logic.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Although I haven't done comprehensive research, from what I've read, I haven't seen any data showing increase in covid cases linked to the outdoor protests. Most pics I saw showed a lot of people wearing masks and keeping some distance, and in a protest you are not generally in close quarters with any one person for more than a few minutes, making your risk of exposure much less. 

However, have definitely seen data suggesting increase in cases linked to big indoor events (I'm looking at you, Trump). Also increase in cases for some outdoor activities where people did not wear masks and were in very close quarters for lengthy periods of time. 

Well under that logic, parades and block festivals should be fine then. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,810

And outdoor sporting events and concerts which can be assigned distanced seating, unlike a protest. But whatever. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    nicknyr15 said:

And outdoor sporting events and concerts which can be assigned distanced seating, unlike a protest. But whatever. 
    That's true, but there might be some subtle differences that might need to be taken into consideration for a concert or sporting event. A BLM protest is, from a Covid health point of view, the exact same thing as a parade. And if the virus isn't spreading during those outdoor protests because of people wearing masks, then it wouldn't spread for a parade would it? But I guess De Blasio doesn't get any political points for allowing parades. But for BLM protests? Big time woke credibility for ole Billy Boy.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Exactly, as long as people are encouraged to wear masks, the parades and all other outdoor events are no less safe than any protests.  
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Show me some data directly correlating parades and other outdoor events (concerts, etc) to a spike in cases.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @PJPOWER ^^^^I think you meant to quote oftenreading and ask him/her to show you that data. You already responded to my post by saying "Exactly, as long as people are encouraged to wear masks, the parades and all other outdoor events are no less safe than any protests."

Unless you are asking me for that data, in which case, I have none. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Exactly, as long as people are encouraged to wear masks, the parades and all other outdoor events are no less safe than any protests.  

No, not "all other outdoor events". Certainly many outdoor events are safer, but not the type where people are in one place for a long period of time, particularly in crowds. Thus outdoor concerts (sadly) and sports events are probably going to continue to be a problem.

Parades would be a problem because crowds line the streets and stand in one place for hours.
  • Options
    @PJPOWER ^^^^I think you meant to quote oftenreading and ask him/her to show you that data. You already responded to my post by saying "Exactly, as long as people are encouraged to wear masks, the parades and all other outdoor events are no less safe than any protests."

Unless you are asking me for that data, in which case, I have none. 
    Correct :)
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

No, not "all other outdoor events". Certainly many outdoor events are safer, but not the type where people are in one place for a long period of time, particularly in crowds. Thus outdoor concerts (sadly) and sports events are probably going to continue to be a problem.

Parades would be a problem because crowds line the streets and stand in one place for hours.
    I asked for data, not an opinion.  In my logic based “opinion”, protests are a great way to spread the virus as well based on logical assumptions they also meander and hang out in large groups for extended periods of time.  Maybe the tear gas and pepper spray is killing the virus instead of making people cough all over each other? Ha
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I asked for data, not an opinion.  In my logic based “opinion”, protests are a great way to spread the virus as well based on logical assumptions they also meander and hang out in large groups for extended periods of time.  Maybe the tear gas and pepper spray is killing the virus instead of making people cough all over each other? Ha

Okay.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/black-lives-matter-protests-didnt-contribute-to-covid19-surge#Why-its-different

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-events/did-events-like-protests-and-bar-reopenings-lead-to-spikes-in-covid-19-cases-idUSKBN249335

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-protests.html
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/black-lives-matter-protests-didnt-contribute-to-covid19-surge#Why-its-different

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-events/did-events-like-protests-and-bar-reopenings-lead-to-spikes-in-covid-19-cases-idUSKBN249335

So the first article seems to suggest that all of the protests were during the daytime, mentioning that the sun and wind helped prevent the spread...Are they suggesting that they were not protesting at night?
    The second mentions sanitation and mask wearing...something that people should do and can do at ANY outdoor events.  Just encourage that behavior at all events...
    And so far, there is still no actual data showing that outdoor events or concerts are more or less dangerous than protests, but there were some great assumptions in those articles... 
    It’s politics, nothing more, nothing less.
    You cannot say that “there are no peer reviewed links” related to protests and virus spread as being a reason for them being allowed and then make non-peer reviewed assumptions about ballparks or outdoor venues being unsafe..

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

So the first article seems to suggest that all of the protests were during the daytime, mentioning that the sun and wind helped prevent the spread...Are they suggesting that they were not protesting at night?
    The second mentions sanitation and mask wearing...something that people should do and can do at ANY outdoor events.  Just encourage that behavior at all events...
    And so far, there is still no actual data showing that outdoor events or concerts are more or less dangerous than protests, but there were some great assumptions in those articles... 

Feel free to attend Mace's birthday protest. You'll get cake.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

You cannot say that “there are no peer reviewed links” related to protests and virus spread as being a reason for them being allowed and then make non-peer reviewed assumptions about ballparks or outdoor venues being unsafe..

You do you. I’ll go with the professionals on this one, including the epidemiologists and other scientists who offered their data and opinions. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    mace1229 said:

Happy Birthday!  :smiley:
    Protest Cake  Students being kettled at the edge  pyrografica

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

You do you. I’ll go with the professionals on this one, including the epidemiologists and other scientists who offered their data and opinions. 
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

I’ll do the same:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-evaluate-coronavirus-risks-from-black-lives-matter-protests/
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

I’ll do the same:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-evaluate-coronavirus-risks-from-black-lives-matter-protests/

There seems to have been a certain amount of mission creep in your demands. First it was for "logic", so I explained the epidemiological logic behind why certain types of outdoor activities are different than other outdoor activities. Then it wasn't really logic that you wanted, it was proof, which I suppose is fair enough but not the original question. I provided some articles with data, which you didn't like. Fair enough - go with whatever you wish. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:

Happy Birthday!  :smiley:
    Protest Cake  Students being kettled at the edge  pyrografica

You saaaaaaaaaay you want a revolution, oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa………..
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

I’ll do the same:

I'm also not sure what your point was with this article. No one has claimed there's zero risk with protests, just that it seems to be lower than some other types of outdoor activities, which your expert also notes.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

I’ll do the same:

I'm also not sure what your point was with this article. No one has claimed there's zero risk with protests, just that it seems to be lower than some other types of outdoor activities, which your expert also notes.
    I think we are both missing each other’s points, so I’ll leave it at that.  Off to do more important things, enjoy your weekend!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Okay.

Bingo! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....