The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    this was covered a few days ago. maybe you missed it. (or maybe it was in the NY thread, but I thought it was posted here as well)
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    this was covered a few days ago. maybe you missed it. (or maybe it was in the NY thread, but I thought it was posted here as well)
    I did not see it posted here but I may be mistaken. I did see the Joe Rogan video of him saying the N word. I know that was discussed in depth but I had never even seen the comments Neil made in the 80's. Wow. What a freakin hero.

• JB16057 said:
    “In an interview with Melody Maker in 1985, Neil Young backed Reagan’s gun control policies and said of AIDS, ‘You go to a supermarket and you see a faggot behind the f***in’ cash register, you don’t want him to handle your potatoes,” Young said, Rolling Stone reported in 2013.

You want to talk about someone spreading information and harming the public.....That Neil Young is a swell guy. How much homophobia did Neil spread around in the 80's?

Neil Young believes in science..... except when he doesn't..... https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/neil-young-gmo-monsanto-msna649971

I don't blame Neil for arguing against GMOs but the science says that it is safe. Neil Young argues against that science. It's one thing to commit and promote eating organic but what he was doing was spreading misinformation and lies.

Joe Rogan is not doctor and says the N word. Neil Young is not doctor but pretends to know more than you and also hates gay people.
    In what way does Neil Young ”hate gay people” ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946
    JB16057 said:
    “In an interview with Melody Maker in 1985, Neil Young backed Reagan’s gun control policies and said of AIDS, ‘You go to a supermarket and you see a faggot behind the f***in’ cash register, you don’t want him to handle your potatoes,” Young said, Rolling Stone reported in 2013.

You want to talk about someone spreading information and harming the public.....That Neil Young is a swell guy. How much homophobia did Neil spread around in the 80's?

Neil Young believes in science..... except when he doesn't..... https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/neil-young-gmo-monsanto-msna649971

I don't blame Neil for arguing against GMOs but the science says that it is safe. Neil Young argues against that science. It's one thing to commit and promote eating organic but what he was doing was spreading misinformation and lies.

Joe Rogan is not doctor and says the N word. Neil Young is not doctor but pretends to know more than you and also hates gay people.
    So you’re saying Neil shouldn't go on Rogan and discuss anything scientific? 
    JB16057 said:
    I did not see it posted here but I may be mistaken. I did see the Joe Rogan video of him saying the N word. I know that was discussed in depth but I had never even seen the comments Neil made in the 80's. Wow. What a freakin hero.

I hadn't seen them either until Spiritual Chaos posted it a bit ago. 

not that I'm trying to excuse it, but to add a bit more context: (it seems to me like he's speaking societally rather than his own bigotry, based on the comments that followed, but again, maybe I'm giving him too much of the benefit of the doubt). And yes, he did support Reagan. But he switched. As an example, after 9/11, I supported Dubya and the war in Iraq. Once a friend educated me, I changed my tune. BIG TIME. 

www.headstonesband.com

JB16057 said:

No. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy that Neil Young is leaving Spotify due to Joe Rogan spreading misinformation when Neil Young is doing the same thing in regards to GMOs. Not only that, there was the collage of Joe Rogan saying the N word. Neil has his own skeletons in the closet with his homophobic remark.

I think it would be great if Neil went on Joe's show and they were able to discuss this instead of Neil throwing a tantrum. Neil is on youtube. Is he going to demand to be removed because of all the misinformation there? or how about Neil admits he is no scientist and has fueled the misinformation pandemic by spreading false GMO information himsel? Neil contributed to the anti science stance just a few years ago.
    standing up for something is throwing a tantrum now?

www.headstonesband.com

My words aren't worth arguing over. The point I'm making here is that everyone was up in arms on this message board in regards to Joe Rogan spreading misinformation and saying the N word. Yet when Neil spreads misinformation and uses slurs, this message board doesn't have much to say.
    JB16057 said:
    My words aren't worth arguing over. The point I'm making here is that everyone was up in arms on this message board in regards to Joe Rogan spreading misinformation and saying the N word. Yet when Neil spreads misinformation and uses slurs, this message board doesn't have much to say.
    I can't comment on the Monsanto stuff. I don't know enough about his reasons. But that comment? from 35 years ago? I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt after that much time has passed. And 1985 was the height of the conservative christian movement vilifying gay people for the evils of AIDS. a lot of fear and misinformation all over the place before the science was known. Rogan is spouting bullshit that is CONTRARY to the science known about covid. 

www.headstonesband.com

• JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

No. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy that Neil Young is leaving Spotify due to Joe Rogan spreading misinformation when Neil Young is doing the same thing in regards to GMOs. Not only that, there was the collage of Joe Rogan saying the N word. Neil has his own skeletons in the closet with his homophobic remark.

I think it would be great if Neil went on Joe's show and they were able to discuss this instead of Neil throwing a tantrum. Neil is on youtube. Is he going to demand to be removed because of all the misinformation there? or how about Neil admits he is no scientist and has fueled the misinformation pandemic by spreading false GMO information himsel? Neil contributed to the anti science stance just a few years ago.
    What year did you stop using the word Neil used in 1985?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

What year did you stop using the word Neil used in 1985?
    this is exactly the point I just came to make. it was quite commonplace to use that term at that time. it hasn't been commonplace/acceptable to use the N word in SEVERAL decades. 

www.headstonesband.com

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    JB16057 said:

I hadn't seen them either until Spiritual Chaos posted it a bit ago. 

not that I'm trying to excuse it, but to add a bit more context: (it seems to me like he's speaking societally rather than his own bigotry, based on the comments that followed, but again, maybe I'm giving him too much of the benefit of the doubt). And yes, he did support Reagan. But he switched. As an example, after 9/11, I supported Dubya and the war in Iraq. Once a friend educated me, I changed my tune. BIG TIME. 

F slur is ugly but after reading more of it in context it’s not as bad as I initially thought. Neil’s saying this anti science stuff in an interview and immediately giving a disclaimer. I also think he’s speaking to simple human nature there.

Comparatively Rogan supplying a platform, not for for critical thought, but flat out wrong information and not checking it in the slightest. If Rogan went back at guests like Malone then way he did Gupta and on other recent guest it would be alot easier to take “presenting both sides” more seriously.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,618
    brianlux said:
    Neil Young offering free Amazon Music subscriptions.  Sounds like Neil is on board for poor treatment of employees.  Let's get him!

Does streaming music on Amazon have the same affect on employees as buying physical object from them?  I thought the worker issues there were more related to warehouse workers.
    All a division of Amazon I would think.  I read where they were giving grief to a driver that didn’t want to drive due to tornados in the area.  Apparently Neil is okay with putting employees at risk so someone gets their socks a day sooner.

I'm still confused.  What aspect of Amazon streaming have to do with Amazon drivers?
    Don't get me wrong- I'm not making excuses for Amazon.  I don't know anyone here who dislikes Amazon more than I do.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    Neil Young offering free Amazon Music subscriptions.  Sounds like Neil is on board for poor treatment of employees.  Let's get him!

Does streaming music on Amazon have the same affect on employees as buying physical object from them?  I thought the worker issues there were more related to warehouse workers.
    I probably love Neil as much as you and am as against Amazon as you.  But like hugh said giving money to Amazon is giving money to amazon.  I know neil has come out against people buying physical product from them and even claims not to himself, but I see that as a cop out. There are plenty of hi res sources out there to tout including the $20 a year NYA subscription that I have.  Honestly I think it would be great if neil inked an exclusive deal with Band Camp.

Yeah, OK, that makes sense.  I think of streaming as having a low impact on Amazon's profits, but then I don't know how pay-for streaming works.  If Neil's actions are bringing in considerable amounts of money to Amazon, I have to say thumbs down to that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Except when you spread misinformation about hiv and it could lead to a death sentence…the only the difference now is that young is worshipped by the mob here…not sure why yet?  He a shitty human that’s obvious…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Except when you spread misinformation about hiv and it could lead to a death sentence…the only the difference now is that young is worshipped by the mob here…not sure why yet?  He a shitty human that’s obvious…
    Where did he spread misinformation?

You are bullshitting.  I recognize that.

JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

I figured you were trying to diminish the point with the low hanging fruit of the internet debate: hypocrisy. Maybe an artist with a clean history without hypocrisy should make the point that Rogan has guests on that lie about the vaccine and then you'd agree?
    JB16057 said:

You weren't on here in the 80s. Neil took a lickin from us.

Who are the members of the mob and how can I join?

Only if you wear blue sunglasses.  (The dog is already in!)

brianlux said:

She's not sharing the secret handshake!
    brianlux said:

She's not sharing the secret handshake!

We can't complain.  That's her pawfect right. :smile:

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    JB16057 said:

You weren't on here in the 80s. Neil took a lickin from us.
    You were on here in the 80s?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited February 2022
    Tired to post the missed joke gif and failed. 
    Post edited by dignin on
  • i am not sure i see a "mob" on here "loving" neil young.

i respect him for making a stand on this, because someone has to.

again, his remark was in 1985. i challenge anybody to go back to 1985 and check quotes for anybody famous and see if they used that word. chances are many of them did. dire straits says it a few times in money for nothin. sebastian bach just 2 or 3 years later got in a whole bunch of trouble for wearing a shirt that said "aids, kills f@gs dead". he had to make a public apology on mtv for it.

because i was a 5th grader in 1985 i used the f-slur with my friends because that is what 9 and 10 year olds called each other back then. we did not know it was a knock on gay people, we didn't really know that gay people were as common as they are. to us it was just a short word that you can call your friend that was demeaning to them in some kind of way. kind of like the south park kids. when we got to high school and actually knew real gay people we stopped using it. i know i feel bad for saying it back then, and have not used it since,
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

again, his remark was in 1985. i challenge anybody to go back to 1985 and check quotes for anybody famous and see if they used that word. chances are many of them did. dire straits says it a few times in money for nothin. sebastian bach just 2 or 3 years later got in a whole bunch of trouble for wearing a shirt that said "aids, kills f@gs dead". he had to make a public apology on mtv for it.

because i was a 5th grader in 1985 i used the f-slur with my friends because that is what 9 and 10 year olds called each other back then. we did not know it was a knock on gay people, we didn't really know that gay people were as common as they are. to us it was just a short word that you can call your friend that was demeaning to them in some kind of way. kind of like the south park kids. when we got to high school and actually knew real gay people we stopped using it. i know i feel bad for saying it back then, and have not used it since,

I'm the same age as you and can confirm that the F@ggot word was used all the time. I think when someone like Neil Young tries to grandstand and act like he's above everyone else, these skeletons deserve to be brought out of the closet to show that Uncle Neil can also make mistakes, not trust science, question science.....that's the point that I know I try to make when the SJW's go insane trying to ban anything or anyone that doesn't lock in time with their issue of the moment. Some people think the world is their color and only their color when it isn't. Questioning authority has been at the heart of Pearl Jam's music and I'm glad they aren't jumping on the trendy bandwagon of cancel culture.
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

I'm the same age as you and can confirm that the F@ggot word was used all the time. I think when someone like Neil Young tries to grandstand and act like he's above everyone else, these skeletons deserve to be brought out of the closet to show that Uncle Neil can also make mistakes, not trust science, question science.....that's the point that I know I try to make when the SJW's go insane trying to ban anything or anyone that doesn't lock in time with their issue of the moment. Some people think the world is their color and only their color when it isn't. Questioning authority has been at the heart of Pearl Jam's music and I'm glad they aren't jumping on the trendy bandwagon of cancel culture.
    Same...I'm going to say it was about 15 years or so ago that I told our older kids to not use that word.  It was still around then.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Putting the covid discussion aside regarding JR, with people pulling up old media formats to discredited someone is right?  Those JR snippets appear old, and so the NY comment.   Both missing context. Both wrong.

It's a smearfest on both sides at this point, in times of convenience, when the person is being attacked publicly.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Neil Young himself has stated he is a musician first and foremost.  That he gives a shit about the world we lives in and occasionally tries to do things to make the world a better place is icing on the cake.  But it's a mistake to expect him to make every right move to save the people or save the plant.  His music has, many many times, soothed my soul.  I couldn't ask for more.