Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,219
    I'm sitting this one out
    Speaking of fantasy. Would you rather have Donald "Grabby" Trump, Joe "Sniffy" Biden or Justin "Flippy" Amash batting cleanup? I hope this settles everything for good.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,998
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    There has been a Libertarian in Congress for a week now and the Constitution has not spontaneously combusted
    He also hasn't accomplished anything.  
    Neither had Obama, but people only use the experience excuse if it runs in their favor. 
    I would argue Obama sponsored and co-sponsored more legislation in his short senate career than Amash has during his time as a Libertarian.  
    He's been in Congress for a decade
    As a Republican...  
    I'm not sure what this cheeky merry-go-round is about, but my points are this:

- If someone is considering voting for Amash, they'll consider his positions and full record

- I bring up the Libertarian-in-Congress point to (1) express joy at a milestone and (2) counter inane, convoluted arguments about third parties 
    One former repub becoming a libertarian while already in congress does not a third party make.
    Amash just comes across as a republican willing to criticize trump, which at this point I suppose is a third party. 
    The third party is really Trump and this version of the Republican party. Amash is an old school Republican. 

Good point!  Really good point!  Trump and his goons are a whole new bag, a whole new anti-Democracy bag.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,450
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    There has been a Libertarian in Congress for a week now and the Constitution has not spontaneously combusted
    Neither had Obama, but people only use the experience excuse if it runs in their favor. 
    I would argue Obama sponsored and co-sponsored more legislation in his short senate career than Amash has during his time as a Libertarian.  
    As a Republican...  

- If someone is considering voting for Amash, they'll consider his positions and full record

- I bring up the Libertarian-in-Congress point to (1) express joy at a milestone and (2) counter inane, convoluted arguments about third parties 
    One former repub becoming a libertarian while already in congress does not a third party make.
    Amash just comes across as a republican willing to criticize trump, which at this point I suppose is a third party. 
    The third party is really Trump and this version of the Republican party. Amash is an old school Republican. 
    On this, we agree! Minus the marriage equality, drugs, and civil liberties stuff. So maybe it's more the promise of what old school Republicans were supposed to be instead of how it actually played out. Either way, Trump managed to do what Pat Buchanan tried and failed at for years.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999
    Biden
    Trump simply pulled the mask off what the Republican Party has been for a long time. He enabled its worst elements, but those elements have always been there.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,832
    Biden
    JW269453 said:
    Speaking of fantasy. Would you rather have Donald "Grabby" Trump, Joe "Sniffy" Biden or Justin "Flippy" Amash batting cleanup? I hope this settles everything for good.
    Don't sabre metrics tell us it's all about the three hole?
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

The points about third party in the presidential race are not inane, it's spot on.  Right now, third parties are simply spoilers.  But if we had three viable parties, you would have every election decided by the House.  Is that really want we want?  Do we want a repeat of 1824?  I think not.  
    That would mean Amash piled up some electoral votes and I'd be stoked as hell. If the polling starts moving in this direction and Biden is running third, I'm finding you to help move Ds to Amash so we can avoid this scenario. 
    Your wistful thinking doesn't change the the consequences if having a viable third party. I don't want the House deciding. 
    "Look at this bad process"

"Oh...yeah, wow, that is a bad process. Is someone trying to change that?"

"No, we'll just use it as a cudgel to threaten people who could still trigger the bad process if they don't allow themselves to be bullied"

"Ah, yes...very logical indeed"
    So what process are you proposing to change?  The Electoral College?  The more practical solution is a change in the makeup/priorities of the party.  You're seeing that happen today.  The problem you have is that Libertarian party is further from the mainstream than ever.  The GOP has gone populist and the Democrats are a mix of Rockefellers and Progressive.  
    Award victory to whomever gets a plurality, not a majority. Or leave it the way it is. It doesn't affect how I vote.
    Right but that's a fantasy.  There will not be a change to the EC under this Constitution.  Once you get out of the first 10-15 states, there's no chance the mid to small states give up their influence.  And certainly no way to get 2/3 of legislatures to do so.  So you're back to...three viable parties = House decision.  
    By the way, are you going to try and convince DEMOCRATS that THEY should be afraid of the HOUSE selecting the President? What exactly is the scenario where Biden wins a plurality and doesn't get inaugurated?
    Yeah for sure.  The House is a rabble.  It flips all the time.  Any Democrat would be short sighted to make that argument based on the majority today, especially when gerrymandering continues to be a problem all over the country.  I'm sure some idiots would make that argument, but not me.  
    If the House flips to Republicans in November, the 1824 election is the last thing you're gonna be thinking about 
    Non-sequitur, my friend.  

And I'm always thinking about historical precedents.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

On this, we agree! Minus the marriage equality, drugs, and civil liberties stuff. So maybe it's more the promise of what old school Republicans were supposed to be instead of how it actually played out. Either way, Trump managed to do what Pat Buchanan tried and failed at for years.
    Which means Amash would have been better served running in the primary as an actual Republican. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Two hole!
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Ah... it comes back to my point earlier.  Trump changed the party to a populist one.  Pitchfork Buchananites is the perfect example, there were enough Rockefellers alive to stop him.  The Libertarians are the ones that are left behind right now.  Teh Republicans are no longer a coalition force, then are isolated ideologically.  The Democrats are the coalition.  There's a place for you... come sit with us....
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

The points about third party in the presidential race are not inane, it's spot on.  Right now, third parties are simply spoilers.  But if we had three viable parties, you would have every election decided by the House.  Is that really want we want?  Do we want a repeat of 1824?  I think not.  
    That would mean Amash piled up some electoral votes and I'd be stoked as hell. If the polling starts moving in this direction and Biden is running third, I'm finding you to help move Ds to Amash so we can avoid this scenario. 
    Your wistful thinking doesn't change the the consequences if having a viable third party. I don't want the House deciding. 

"No, we'll just use it as a cudgel to threaten people who could still trigger the bad process if they don't allow themselves to be bullied"

So what process are you proposing to change?  The Electoral College?  The more practical solution is a change in the makeup/priorities of the party.  You're seeing that happen today.  The problem you have is that Libertarian party is further from the mainstream than ever.  The GOP has gone populist and the Democrats are a mix of Rockefellers and Progressive.  
    Award victory to whomever gets a plurality, not a majority. Or leave it the way it is. It doesn't affect how I vote.
    Right but that's a fantasy.  There will not be a change to the EC under this Constitution.  Once you get out of the first 10-15 states, there's no chance the mid to small states give up their influence.  And certainly no way to get 2/3 of legislatures to do so.  So you're back to...three viable parties = House decision.  
    By the way, are you going to try and convince DEMOCRATS that THEY should be afraid of the HOUSE selecting the President? What exactly is the scenario where Biden wins a plurality and doesn't get inaugurated?
    Yeah for sure.  The House is a rabble.  It flips all the time.  Any Democrat would be short sighted to make that argument based on the majority today, especially when gerrymandering continues to be a problem all over the country.  I'm sure some idiots would make that argument, but not me.  
    If the House flips to Republicans in November, the 1824 election is the last thing you're gonna be thinking about 
    Non-sequitur, my friend.  

I was using it similarly. Basically, if you told me today that Republicans would flip the house, Biden imploded.
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Two hole!
    I guess technically it's probably leadoff now, right?  Max at bats?  I'm not a sabre guy, but that makes sense.  I'm still old school enough that I want baserunners for the three hole. I also don't believe in buzzers, pots and pans, to tip off hitters.  
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Which means Amash would have been better served running in the primary as an actual Republican. 
    Not if we both feel like Trump transformed the party
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    Can I just say that AMT and threads like this are the best parts of the internet?
    Spoken like a person who has clearly never played the NY Times Spelling Bee
    Im not following, you think the NYT spelling bee is better? Or is it a shot because I didn't use the more grammatically correct but awkward "can I just say that AMT and threads like this is the best part of the internet."
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Non-sequitur, my friend.  

I was using it similarly. Basically, if you told me today that Republicans would flip the house, Biden imploded.
    Yes agreed.  If the House flips, Trump has a decisive electoral victory.  
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,219
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    I'd build my lineup around the leadoff & 3 spot for sure, but we are talking pure power. Power like, who could have hit a corona laced spitball further, Jim Thome or Cecil Fielder?
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Two hole!
    I guess technically it's probably leadoff now, right?  Max at bats?  I'm not a sabre guy, but that makes sense.  I'm still old school enough that I want baserunners for the three hole. I also don't believe in buzzers, pots and pans, to tip off hitters.  
    I think it depends on skill set. Something about if you have pop, there's incremental value in having a guy in front of you who's likely to get on base. But I've heard the leadoff/AB argument, too. Regardless, I've been watching the KBO every morning to get my fix.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    Can I just say that AMT and threads like this are the best parts of the internet?
    Spoken like a person who has clearly never played the NY Times Spelling Bee
    Im not following, you think the NYT spelling bee is better? Or is it a shot because I didn't use the more grammatically correct but awkward "can I just say that AMT and threads like this is the best part of the internet."
    Ha...yeah, I'm addicted to the Spelling Bee. New one every day like the crossword. If you need to kill more time aside from strapping on the gloves here, I highly recommend it. 
  • Options
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    A Democrat installed by a House majority would be hamstrung in ways a Republican wouldn't. There would be constant questioning of the administration's legitimacy, no matter that the rules are clearly spelled out in the constitution. Fox News would champion tea party-style rallies from day one. Eventually mainstream pundits would go along for the ride.
    This just tells me that as a party DEMS need to stop taking the highroad and fight like with like.
    JW269453 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    I'd build my lineup around the leadoff & 3 spot for sure, but we are talking pure power. Power like, who could have hit a corona laced spitball further, Jim Thome or Cecil Fielder?
    Cecil Fielder, when in doubt Detroit wins out.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    JimmyV said:
    A Democrat installed by a House majority would be hamstrung in ways a Republican wouldn't. There would be constant questioning of the administration's legitimacy, no matter that the rules are clearly spelled out in the constitution. Fox News would champion tea party-style rallies from day one. Eventually mainstream pundits would go along for the ride.
    This just tells me that as a party DEMS need to stop taking the highroad and fight like with like.
    JW269453 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JW269453 said:
    Cecil Fielder, when in doubt Detroit wins out.
    FU.. I'm from Cleveland.  Thome all teh way.  Dude is first class as a person and a player.  Loved that guy.  Although if you remember he started at third and was platooning with Mark Lewis.  He was so bad in the field we called him Jim "don't hit it" Thome
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    I feel like this is a troll post... like saying the song Black somehow compares to Johnny Guitar.  
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I feel like this is a troll post... like saying the song Black somehow compares to Johnny Guitar.  
    I’ve seen that post and couldn’t bring myself to read it.  In a similar fashion there are posts that Gigaton somehow =Yield.  I find it best not to look at those.  I was honestly asking for permission to say AMT is one of the best parts of the net. I learn a lot here as long as people don’t come off as virtue signaling, party harpies(or is it herpes?) I actually listen and research what people are talking about.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I’ve seen that post and couldn’t bring myself to read it.  In a similar fashion there are posts that Gigaton somehow =Yield.  I find it best not to look at those.  I was honestly asking for permission to say AMT is one of the best parts of the net. I learn a lot here as long as people don’t come off as virtue signaling, party harpies(or is it herpes?) I actually listen and research what people are talking about.
    You should read the JG post.. It's quite funny.  
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    It's great. His comment about sleeping with the light on cracked me up.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I mean.... wow. I could only take two pages.  I can’t believe how many fans of Black there are.  Obviously I voted Johnny Guitar as if it was even close....
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Has there ever been a worse time to attempt to change the system than with someone as inept and dangerous as Donald Trump on the ballot? I would like more choices as well, but this is sure as hell not the time to experiment with that. Good grief. You people better come to your senses in the next 6 months.

Yes, I said "you people."

Eh, future of our democracy at's stake. Who gives a shit amirite?
    It is not tho
    Oh, but it is. Turn on the news. We are inching closer and closer by the hour. 
    Flynn and Barr yesterday is a prime example.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/joe-biden-scale-campaign-democratic-anxiety-grows-ahead/story?id=70589286&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_twopack_hed

Rob Flaherty, the Biden campaign's digital director, confirmed Friday that the campaign will be doubling the size of its digital team, which stood at roughly 25 people throughout the primary, a move that comes amid concerns over the reach and manpower possessed by Trump's well-stocked reelection effort.

"Biden Team digital is scaling.....fast. Really fast. Like we're going to double the team in a matter of weeks….and then keep on growing," Flaherty wrote in a lengthy thread on Twitter early Friday evening.

hmm.  50 people seems a little thin.  i'd figure you would have at least 50 in each state and even that figure seems low considering it is May.

This is going to be a digital campaign for Biden.  I don't think there is time to figure out how to roll out a socially distancing campaign road trip at this point.  

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,241
    Jason P said:
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/joe-biden-scale-campaign-democratic-anxiety-grows-ahead/story?id=70589286&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_twopack_hed

Rob Flaherty, the Biden campaign's digital director, confirmed Friday that the campaign will be doubling the size of its digital team, which stood at roughly 25 people throughout the primary, a move that comes amid concerns over the reach and manpower possessed by Trump's well-stocked reelection effort.

"Biden Team digital is scaling.....fast. Really fast. Like we're going to double the team in a matter of weeks….and then keep on growing," Flaherty wrote in a lengthy thread on Twitter early Friday evening.

hmm.  50 people seems a little thin.  i'd figure you would have at least 50 in each state and even that figure seems low considering it is May.

This is going to be a digital campaign for Biden.  I don't think there is time to figure out how to roll out a socially distancing campaign road trip at this point.  

This story highlights how absolutely terrible the Dems are at politics. In the limited Biden TV appearances, he stumbles and mumbles. I’ll be the first to defend his stuttering as not his fault, but the way to compensate for that is to tighten the message. The fewer words per answer the better. Biden always expands his answers and meanders and loses the listener. And Team Biden should be all over the place reaching voters with their digital footprint and as of yesterday, their digital staff was smaller in size than a staff at a local diner. We are nearly 2 months into this covid world and they barely have figured out how to campaign in the world as it now exists.

compare that to trump: probably the most effective and savage campaigner of all time. He will concisely say whatever it takes to make the opponent look irrelevant without hesitation.

How difficult is it to say the US is 4% of the worlds population and has 30% of the Covid deaths?

How difficult is it to say the economy trump built maximized  the number of Americans living paycheck to paycheck. One crisis and it’s wiped away like it never existed.

Two concise and powerful messages. The first point is about 8 key words and the second is less than 20. Biden and Democratic “operatives” have no clue how to execute these points and move on without meandering.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Biden or Trump...honesty, whats the difference?..  Yeah I'm in that kinda mood today! hahaha 

Will either help and fight for workers? NO...

Will either push for an improved healthcare system that covers all Americans? NO......

Will both continue bailouts for Corporations? Yes....

Will either enact policies and taxes that will help rise up and give security to the lower and middle class? NO...

Will either fight to reverse their own parties policies of the last 50 years to fix the problems caused by letting corporations dictate law through a corrupt system?  NO......

Will either break up the big monopolies that have been allowed to form once again? No.....(How many times must we learn this lesson?)

So then what's the difference between the two?  A big D or R next to their names?  GO TEAM!!!! 

One is the village idiot and the other is a plagiarizing life long politician with a clear record of not helping anyone but the donor class and his own career ...  not just Biden.. Since pandemic both Hillary Clinton and Pelosi both have yelled "OPEN THE OBAMACARE EXCHANGES!
    (That worse than "Let them eat cake" its more like....  "Let them buy cake" )

I know I'll get yelled at... But it's TRUMP... but But but..I know.. I hate him too....  

Bottom line... A real leader is either going to fight for the people, some even willing to give their lives in that pursuit. or they're aren't and are part of the broke system. ... right now in American history I don't see anyone fighting for the people..  

So yeah I'll vote Biden.. then go home and wash my hands a bunch of times to try to wash the dirty feeling away...

WE NEED A 3rd PARTY!!!!!!!  

....sigh....

The US isn't set up to be a multiparty system.  The checks and balances are in the 3 branches of government.  There will never ever ever be a viable 3rd party option, or 3 party system of government here. 

The last election cost us 2 Supreme Court seats and countless lifetime appointments to federal judges.  This will now take an entire generation to undo.  
    sigh,,,, back,,,, Not set up? What???? 

3 branches of gov has nothing...zero... to do with number of political parties..  

We've just never had a powerful enough 3d party to be viable... GREEN or LIBERTARIAN PARTY is a good example of 3rd parties in America ......or Remember Ross Perot ?   
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Biden or Trump...honesty, whats the difference?..  Yeah I'm in that kinda mood today! hahaha 

Will either help and fight for workers? NO...

Will either push for an improved healthcare system that covers all Americans? NO......

Will both continue bailouts for Corporations? Yes....

Will either enact policies and taxes that will help rise up and give security to the lower and middle class? NO...

Will either fight to reverse their own parties policies of the last 50 years to fix the problems caused by letting corporations dictate law through a corrupt system?  NO......

Will either break up the big monopolies that have been allowed to form once again? No.....(How many times must we learn this lesson?)

So then what's the difference between the two?  A big D or R next to their names?  GO TEAM!!!! 

One is the village idiot and the other is a plagiarizing life long politician with a clear record of not helping anyone but the donor class and his own career ...  not just Biden.. Since pandemic both Hillary Clinton and Pelosi both have yelled "OPEN THE OBAMACARE EXCHANGES!
    (That worse than "Let them eat cake" its more like....  "Let them buy cake" )

I know I'll get yelled at... But it's TRUMP... but But but..I know.. I hate him too....  

Bottom line... A real leader is either going to fight for the people, some even willing to give their lives in that pursuit. or they're aren't and are part of the broke system. ... right now in American history I don't see anyone fighting for the people..  

So yeah I'll vote Biden.. then go home and wash my hands a bunch of times to try to wash the dirty feeling away...

WE NEED A 3rd PARTY!!!!!!!  

....sigh....

The US isn't set up to be a multiparty system.  The checks and balances are in the 3 branches of government.  There will never ever ever be a viable 3rd party option, or 3 party system of government here. 

The last election cost us 2 Supreme Court seats and countless lifetime appointments to federal judges.  This will now take an entire generation to undo.  
    The Teapublicans and Democrats didn’t exist when the three branches of government were established.  We are on something like the 5th or sixth set of parties at this point.  In the past as new popular parties would arise they would eventually cannibalize one of the other parties, so in a way we are setup for a third party system as an interim measure.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/27/why-are-there-only-two-parties-in-american-politics/

This post is part of our attempt to reach new readers who are interested in American politics – but perhaps don’t speak English or understand how American government works. 

....before the Republican Party and the Democratic Party were the two major parties, the Democratic Party and the Whig Party were. Before that matchup, the Democratic Party and the National Republican Party were the dominant two. And before that? The Democratic-Republicans and the Federalists reigned.

All the while, third parties have been small players throughout U.S. presidential politics, showing up occasionally but almost never having a real chance at winning the presidency. They also rarely compete for seats in Congress, where, since World War II, no more than two out of its 535 members have been anything other than Republicans and Democrats.

Why has this happened? The answer is that the U.S. political system is set up for two major parties, because it awards seats in Congress and the presidency with a winner-take-all method. Candidates running for Congress need only to get a plurality of the vote to be elected. In 48 of 50 states, presidential candidates get all of a state’s electoral votes — the way in which presidents are elected, state by state — as long as they win a plurality of the vote in that state.

French sociologist Maurice Duverger theorized in the 1950s that this kind of setup leads to what is effectively a two-party system. “Duverger’s law” states that third parties can’t compete because there is no prize for winning, for example, 15 or even 25 percent of the vote. This leads voters to choose candidates who are most likely to win, and it leads the parties to try to broaden their appeal to half of the electorate — and ideally more.

The US government is a 2 party system.  That's all there is to it.
    So every so often two new parties magically appear to replace the old ones? 
    Libertarians are just embarrassed Republicans.  There will always be left and right. Conservative and progressive. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,299
    Biden
    tea partiers are just angry republicans.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Biden
    tea partiers are just angry republicans.
    The fact that they've disappeared amidst record deficits proves what we knew, that it was racial in nature.