Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,473
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    There has been a Libertarian in Congress for a week now and the Constitution has not spontaneously combusted
    He also hasn't accomplished anything.  
    Neither had Obama, but people only use the experience excuse if it runs in their favor. 
    I would argue Obama sponsored and co-sponsored more legislation in his short senate career than Amash has during his time as a Libertarian.  
    He's been in Congress for a decade
    As a Republican...  
    I'm not sure what this cheeky merry-go-round is about, but my points are this:

- If someone is considering voting for Amash, they'll consider his positions and full record

- I bring up the Libertarian-in-Congress point to (1) express joy at a milestone and (2) counter inane, convoluted arguments about third parties 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,011
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    There has been a Libertarian in Congress for a week now and the Constitution has not spontaneously combusted
    Neither had Obama, but people only use the experience excuse if it runs in their favor. 
    I would argue Obama sponsored and co-sponsored more legislation in his short senate career than Amash has during his time as a Libertarian.  
    As a Republican...  

- If someone is considering voting for Amash, they'll consider his positions and full record

- I bring up the Libertarian-in-Congress point to (1) express joy at a milestone and (2) counter inane, convoluted arguments about third parties 
    One former repub becoming a libertarian while already in congress does not a third party make.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I love that one it was stupid when it was used against Bernie and its stupid to use against Amash.
    In the abstract, if someone has passed a lot of legislation I don't agree with, I'll happily go with "no key legislation and a bunch of positions I agree with"
    I would agree with that. Yeah I would rather be voting for someone that I agree with over someone who has passed a lot of legislation. I’m in Texas so Trump is winning here no matter what I do with my vote.  Maybe I will contribute to Amash just so I don’t feel bad for continuing the more of the same trajectory
    So the first half of your post directly contradicted the second half of the post.  You believe in voting for what you believe in, but then want to contribute to Amash who likely stands in direct contrast to all of your stated social safety net positions.  Interesting... 
    But I suspect Amash stands in unity with some positions he may hold such as skepticism of foreign intervention, civil liberties, criminal justice reform, drug legalization, etc.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I love that one it was stupid when it was used against Bernie and its stupid to use against Amash.
    In the abstract, if someone has passed a lot of legislation I don't agree with, I'll happily go with "no key legislation and a bunch of positions I agree with"
    I would agree with that. Yeah I would rather be voting for someone that I agree with over someone who has passed a lot of legislation. I’m in Texas so Trump is winning here no matter what I do with my vote.  Maybe I will contribute to Amash just so I don’t feel bad for continuing the more of the same trajectory
    So the first half of your post directly contradicted the second half of the post.  You believe in voting for what you believe in, but then want to contribute to Amash who likely stands in direct contrast to all of your stated social safety net positions.  Interesting... 
    More because I believe in third parties.  I mean the democrats don’t support everything I want but I’ve been giving them my votes all these years.  
    Of course if there is a chance that Biden could win Texas I will definitely throw my vote at him because that would be a huge FU to trump.   As for your other post.  If all that someone is doing in Congress is advocating for positions I believe in and can’t get legislation sponsored that’s fine with me at least they are a voice . As far as contrarianism goes I also have no problem with that.  Obviously what we have been doing for hundreds of years is flawed or we wouldn’t have Trump 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,852
    edited May 2020
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

The points about third party in the presidential race are not inane, it's spot on.  Right now, third parties are simply spoilers.  But if we had three viable parties, you would have every election decided by the House.  Is that really want we want?  Do we want a repeat of 1824?  I think not.  
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315
    Biden
    wasn't amash a tea partier? how did that work out for him?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

The points about third party in the presidential race are not inane, it's spot on.  Right now, third parties are simply spoilers.  But if we had three viable parties, you would have every election decided by the House.  Is that really want we want?  Do we want a repeat of 1824?  I think not.  
    That would mean Amash piled up some electoral votes and I'd be stoked as hell. If the polling starts moving in this direction and Biden is running third, I'm finding you to help move Ds to Amash so we can avoid this scenario. 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    As a side note, if the rules stink someone should amend the rules. If you're pointing out a flaw in the system, maybe someone should move to change it. If no one cares enough to, then yeah we live with the process if that's how it plays out. 
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

That would mean Amash piled up some electoral votes and I'd be stoked as hell. If the polling starts moving in this direction and Biden is running third, I'm finding you to help move Ds to Amash so we can avoid this scenario. 
    Your wistful thinking doesn't change the the consequences if having a viable third party. I don't want the House deciding. 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Your wistful thinking doesn't change the the consequences if having a viable third party. I don't want the House deciding. 
    "Look at this bad process"

"Oh...yeah, wow, that is a bad process. Is someone trying to change that?"

"No, we'll just use it as a cudgel to threaten people who could still trigger the bad process if they don't allow themselves to be bullied"

"Ah, yes...very logical indeed"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,536
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

"No, we'll just use it as a cudgel to threaten people who could still trigger the bad process if they don't allow themselves to be bullied"

Has there ever been a worse time to attempt to change the system than with someone as inept and dangerous as Donald Trump on the ballot? I would like more choices as well, but this is sure as hell not the time to experiment with that. Good grief. You people better come to your senses in the next 6 months.

Yes, I said "you people."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

So what process are you proposing to change?  The Electoral College?  The more practical solution is a change in the makeup/priorities of the party.  You're seeing that happen today.  The problem you have is that Libertarian party is further from the mainstream than ever.  The GOP has gone populist and the Democrats are a mix of Rockefellers and Progressive.  
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

So what process are you proposing to change?  The Electoral College?  The more practical solution is a change in the makeup/priorities of the party.  You're seeing that happen today.  The problem you have is that Libertarian party is further from the mainstream than ever.  The GOP has gone populist and the Democrats are a mix of Rockefellers and Progressive.  
    Award victory to whomever gets a plurality, not a majority. Or leave it the way it is. It doesn't affect how I vote.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Has there ever been a worse time to attempt to change the system than with someone as inept and dangerous as Donald Trump on the ballot? I would like more choices as well, but this is sure as hell not the time to experiment with that. Good grief. You people better come to your senses in the next 6 months.

• Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Award victory to whomever gets a plurality, not a majority. Or leave it the way it is. It doesn't affect how I vote.
    Right but that's a fantasy.  There will not be a change to the EC under this Constitution.  Once you get out of the first 10-15 states, there's no chance the mid to small states give up their influence.  And certainly no way to get 2/3 of legislatures to do so.  So you're back to...three viable parties = House decision.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    Can I just say that AMT and threads like this are the best parts of the internet?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Right but that's a fantasy.  There will not be a change to the EC under this Constitution.  Once you get out of the first 10-15 states, there's no chance the mid to small states give up their influence.  And certainly no way to get 2/3 of legislatures to do so.  So you're back to...three viable parties = House decision.  
    Then fine. This is like the "experience" argument where people only wield it if it works in their candidate's favor. In June '92, Clinton was running third. There is no chance Ds would have considered throwing in the towel if that persisted, nor should they.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    static111 said:
    Can I just say that AMT and threads like this are the best parts of the internet?
    Spoken like a person who has clearly never played the NY Times Spelling Bee
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Then fine. This is like the "experience" argument where people only wield it if it works in their candidate's favor. In June '92, Clinton was running third. There is no chance Ds would have considered throwing in the towel if that persisted, nor should they.
    That experience comment was about Amash being a libertarian for a minute.  It was a dig at Libertarians, not Amash.  

Regardless, I don’t see how these arguments are the same.  I’m always against third parties for the same practical purpose I outlined.  The Constitution isn’t changing.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

By the way, are you going to try and convince DEMOCRATS that THEY should be afraid of the HOUSE selecting the President? What exactly is the scenario where Biden wins a plurality and doesn't get inaugurated?
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

By the way, are you going to try and convince DEMOCRATS that THEY should be afraid of the HOUSE selecting the President? What exactly is the scenario where Biden wins a plurality and doesn't get inaugurated?
    Yeah for sure.  The House is a rabble.  It flips all the time.  Any Democrat would be short sighted to make that argument based on the majority today, especially when gerrymandering continues to be a problem all over the country.  I'm sure some idiots would make that argument, but not me.  
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    Biden
    A Democrat installed by a House majority would be hamstrung in ways a Republican wouldn't. There would be constant questioning of the administration's legitimacy, no matter that the rules are clearly spelled out in the constitution. Fox News would champion tea party-style rallies from day one. Eventually mainstream pundits would go along for the ride.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Eh, future of our democracy at's stake. Who gives a shit amirite?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Yeah for sure.  The House is a rabble.  It flips all the time.  Any Democrat would be short sighted to make that argument based on the majority today, especially when gerrymandering continues to be a problem all over the country.  I'm sure some idiots would make that argument, but not me.  
    If the House flips to Republicans in November, the 1824 election is the last thing you're gonna be thinking about 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

It is not tho
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,744
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

That experience comment was about Amash being a libertarian for a minute.  It was a dig at Libertarians, not Amash.  

Regardless, I don’t see how these arguments are the same.  I’m always against third parties for the same practical purpose I outlined.  The Constitution isn’t changing.
    Yep. The Electoral College forces the two party system to happen. Dreaming of a third party to create change is a fantasy. Energy focused on getting big cash and corporate money out of politics is a much better path to go on. 
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

It is not tho
    Oh, but it is. Turn on the news. We are inching closer and closer by the hour. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,744
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

One former repub becoming a libertarian while already in congress does not a third party make.
    Amash just comes across as a republican willing to criticize trump, which at this point I suppose is a third party. 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

It is not tho
    Oh, but it is. Turn on the news. We are inching closer and closer by the hour. 
    No, no, and also no. Counterpoint: Turn off the news.
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    As a Republican...  

Amash just comes across as a republican willing to criticize trump, which at this point I suppose is a third party. 
    The third party is really Trump and this version of the Republican party. Amash is an old school Republican. 
    chinese-happy.jpg