Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,852
    edited May 2020
    Biden
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Biden or Trump...honesty, whats the difference?..  Yeah I'm in that kinda mood today! hahaha 

Will either help and fight for workers? NO...

Will either push for an improved healthcare system that covers all Americans? NO......

Will both continue bailouts for Corporations? Yes....

Will either enact policies and taxes that will help rise up and give security to the lower and middle class? NO...

Will either fight to reverse their own parties policies of the last 50 years to fix the problems caused by letting corporations dictate law through a corrupt system?  NO......

Will either break up the big monopolies that have been allowed to form once again? No.....(How many times must we learn this lesson?)

So then what's the difference between the two?  A big D or R next to their names?  GO TEAM!!!! 

One is the village idiot and the other is a plagiarizing life long politician with a clear record of not helping anyone but the donor class and his own career ...  not just Biden.. Since pandemic both Hillary Clinton and Pelosi both have yelled "OPEN THE OBAMACARE EXCHANGES!
    (That worse than "Let them eat cake" its more like....  "Let them buy cake" )

I know I'll get yelled at... But it's TRUMP... but But but..I know.. I hate him too....  

Bottom line... A real leader is either going to fight for the people, some even willing to give their lives in that pursuit. or they're aren't and are part of the broke system. ... right now in American history I don't see anyone fighting for the people..  

So yeah I'll vote Biden.. then go home and wash my hands a bunch of times to try to wash the dirty feeling away...

WE NEED A 3rd PARTY!!!!!!!  

....sigh....

The US isn't set up to be a multiparty system.  The checks and balances are in the 3 branches of government.  There will never ever ever be a viable 3rd party option, or 3 party system of government here. 

The last election cost us 2 Supreme Court seats and countless lifetime appointments to federal judges.  This will now take an entire generation to undo.  
    sigh,,,, back,,,, Not set up? What???? 

3 branches of gov has nothing...zero... to do with number of political parties..  

We've just never had a powerful enough 3d party to be viable... GREEN or LIBERTARIAN PARTY is a good example of 3rd parties in America ......or Remember Ross Perot ?   
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:
    Biden or Trump...honesty, whats the difference?..  Yeah I'm in that kinda mood today! hahaha 

Will either push for an improved healthcare system that covers all Americans? NO......

Will either enact policies and taxes that will help rise up and give security to the lower and middle class? NO...

Will either fight to reverse their own parties policies of the last 50 years to fix the problems caused by letting corporations dictate law through a corrupt system?  NO......

Will either break up the big monopolies that have been allowed to form once again? No.....(How many times must we learn this lesson?)

So then what's the difference between the two?  A big D or R next to their names?  GO TEAM!!!! 

One is the village idiot and the other is a plagiarizing life long politician with a clear record of not helping anyone but the donor class and his own career ...  not just Biden.. Since pandemic both Hillary Clinton and Pelosi both have yelled "OPEN THE OBAMACARE EXCHANGES!

I know I'll get yelled at... But it's TRUMP... but But but..I know.. I hate him too....  

Bottom line... A real leader is either going to fight for the people, some even willing to give their lives in that pursuit. or they're aren't and are part of the broke system. ... right now in American history I don't see anyone fighting for the people..  

So yeah I'll vote Biden.. then go home and wash my hands a bunch of times to try to wash the dirty feeling away...

....sigh....

The US isn't set up to be a multiparty system.  The checks and balances are in the 3 branches of government.  There will never ever ever be a viable 3rd party option, or 3 party system of government here. 

The last election cost us 2 Supreme Court seats and countless lifetime appointments to federal judges.  This will now take an entire generation to undo.  
    The Teapublicans and Democrats didn’t exist when the three branches of government were established.  We are on something like the 5th or sixth set of parties at this point.  In the past as new popular parties would arise they would eventually cannibalize one of the other parties, so in a way we are setup for a third party system as an interim measure.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/27/why-are-there-only-two-parties-in-american-politics/

This post is part of our attempt to reach new readers who are interested in American politics – but perhaps don’t speak English or understand how American government works. 

....before the Republican Party and the Democratic Party were the two major parties, the Democratic Party and the Whig Party were. Before that matchup, the Democratic Party and the National Republican Party were the dominant two. And before that? The Democratic-Republicans and the Federalists reigned.

All the while, third parties have been small players throughout U.S. presidential politics, showing up occasionally but almost never having a real chance at winning the presidency. They also rarely compete for seats in Congress, where, since World War II, no more than two out of its 535 members have been anything other than Republicans and Democrats.

Why has this happened? The answer is that the U.S. political system is set up for two major parties, because it awards seats in Congress and the presidency with a winner-take-all method. Candidates running for Congress need only to get a plurality of the vote to be elected. In 48 of 50 states, presidential candidates get all of a state’s electoral votes — the way in which presidents are elected, state by state — as long as they win a plurality of the vote in that state.

French sociologist Maurice Duverger theorized in the 1950s that this kind of setup leads to what is effectively a two-party system. “Duverger’s law” states that third parties can’t compete because there is no prize for winning, for example, 15 or even 25 percent of the vote. This leads voters to choose candidates who are most likely to win, and it leads the parties to try to broaden their appeal to half of the electorate — and ideally more.

The US government is a 2 party system.  That's all there is to it.
    So every so often two new parties magically appear to replace the old ones? 
    Not magically, but yes.  Parliamentary systems use coalitions.  Our two parties are fundamentally coalitions.  Although over the past 20 years, the GOP has become small tent, so more diversity.  We're also in the middle of a massive shift, similar to the one in the 50s/60s,  The educated workforce is moving more to the Democrats every year, whereas they used to be "Rockefeller Republicans".  If it were the 50s, I would probably be a Rockefeller Republican.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,011
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:

Not one of these questions or answers is black and white. Biden is better on every single one of them if you are a progressive.
    Which part isn't B&W?

Breaking up Monopolies? Pretty Black and White..

All Americans should have healthcare? Pretty Black and White....

Bailout People ahead of Corps?... Pretty Black and White... 

Enact Policies to help workers? Pretty Black and White.. 
    No, none of those are black and white. Trump is worse in all those issues. I'm not trying.to be a dick here but this is pretty simple stuff.
    The only thing that is black and white is Trump or a non vote for Biden is a vote for the end of this democracy.

Nothing else matters. 
    We don't live in a true Democracy..  We live in a Representative Democracy.. 

Didn't Hillary get more votes than Trump?  

And recently, Voice votes in the House of Reps passed the largest corporate bailouts in world history ??? Wouldn't want to hold "Representatives" to their actual votes .

Hey I understand... I pounded the table and said the same thing for Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama,,,  I guess it was better???? Looking around its hard to tell...Foreign Wars, Factories lost, Wall Street Greed Run Rampant, Prisons full, Homeless, Eduation, Healthcare..etc...    Not much hope and the "change" has only seemed to help the few.

Sorry just lost a lot of faith in our government to do anything as it stands right now.. It's like an old favorite car, you love it, but it needs a motor overhaul and some body work. The caretakers haven't done a very good job taking care of her. 

Also... I kinda liked it when candidates actually tried to create popular policy and tried to bring people on board with promises.. even if a lie... Joe's promise?  "Back to Normal"....So just back to the normal screwing over with a smile? ;)

Go TEAM!

Bernie lost. Get over it. You have choices in November. Move on or start a viable third party.

Yea, because Clinton and Obama screwed over the masses. Please.
    Obama: DARK act, not pulling out of the endless wars to save face. Assasinating osama bin laden with no trial, drone strikes etc, wall st bailout, continuation of the security state

Clinton: NAFTA, allowing capital and businesses free trade and access to global markets but not allowing workers the same protections, mass media deregulation that has led to our current poor state of media and cultural monopoly, mandatory minimums, three strikes expanding private prisons and incarceration

too be fair neither of them started the ball rolling but they both sure didn’t do much to stop it.  It is not hard to see why some people are really beginning to be more and more disillusioned by the current state of lesser of two evils politicking and the right of center path that mainstream America has been treading. 

But yeah the people that are upset with the system are the actual problem. 🙄
    Obama, didn’t vote for the Iraq war and withdrew US forces from Iraq. Really, you feel sorry for Osama bin Laden not getting a fair trial? Really? And the Wall Street bailout that was a return on investment? You Bernie supporters really are worse than the Deplorables, in some ways. 
    Look at Holder v Humanitarian Law Project.  It essentially said that if someone on the government terrorism list comes to you for advice, say a plan for a strategy of non violence you are guilty of supporting terrorism. Nelson Mandela was once on that list, so was Saddam Hussein, but he was taken off before Mandela....now this is in no way saying that Republicans are better than Democrats at least on an elected politician level, because they aren’t.  The republicans are much worse. The Democrats are however no saints.
    Osama bin Laden sought solutions via non-violence. 9/11 was an inside job, I guess?
    I never said that. You are pretty insufferable at times. Osama bin laden wasn’t and isn’t the only person that has ever been on the terror watch list.  If you choose to blindly believe Democrats don’t have deep flaws that is fine, and provides a solid foundation as to why you are so hyper critical of anyone that questions the party in any way.
    But that is who YOU referenced in your initial defense of your criticism of Obama. “Hyper critical?” Defend your both sides are the same. Please.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:

....sigh....

sigh,,,, back,,,, Not set up? What???? 

3 branches of gov has nothing...zero... to do with number of political parties..  

We've just never had a powerful enough 3d party to be viable... GREEN or LIBERTARIAN PARTY is a good example of 3rd parties in America ......or Remember Ross Perot ?   
    static111 said:
    CM189191 said:
    myoung321 said:

....sigh....

The Teapublicans and Democrats didn’t exist when the three branches of government were established.  We are on something like the 5th or sixth set of parties at this point.  In the past as new popular parties would arise they would eventually cannibalize one of the other parties, so in a way we are setup for a third party system as an interim measure.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/27/why-are-there-only-two-parties-in-american-politics/

This post is part of our attempt to reach new readers who are interested in American politics – but perhaps don’t speak English or understand how American government works. 

....before the Republican Party and the Democratic Party were the two major parties, the Democratic Party and the Whig Party were. Before that matchup, the Democratic Party and the National Republican Party were the dominant two. And before that? The Democratic-Republicans and the Federalists reigned.

All the while, third parties have been small players throughout U.S. presidential politics, showing up occasionally but almost never having a real chance at winning the presidency. They also rarely compete for seats in Congress, where, since World War II, no more than two out of its 535 members have been anything other than Republicans and Democrats.

Why has this happened? The answer is that the U.S. political system is set up for two major parties, because it awards seats in Congress and the presidency with a winner-take-all method. Candidates running for Congress need only to get a plurality of the vote to be elected. In 48 of 50 states, presidential candidates get all of a state’s electoral votes — the way in which presidents are elected, state by state — as long as they win a plurality of the vote in that state.

French sociologist Maurice Duverger theorized in the 1950s that this kind of setup leads to what is effectively a two-party system. “Duverger’s law” states that third parties can’t compete because there is no prize for winning, for example, 15 or even 25 percent of the vote. This leads voters to choose candidates who are most likely to win, and it leads the parties to try to broaden their appeal to half of the electorate — and ideally more.

The US government is a 2 party system.  That's all there is to it.
    So every so often two new parties magically appear to replace the old ones? 

They sprout from magic beans overnight.
    😂
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Biden
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:
    dignin said:
    myoung321 said:

Not one of these questions or answers is black and white. Biden is better on every single one of them if you are a progressive.
    Which part isn't B&W?

Breaking up Monopolies? Pretty Black and White..

All Americans should have healthcare? Pretty Black and White....

Bailout People ahead of Corps?... Pretty Black and White... 

Enact Policies to help workers? Pretty Black and White.. 
    No, none of those are black and white. Trump is worse in all those issues. I'm not trying.to be a dick here but this is pretty simple stuff.
    The only thing that is black and white is Trump or a non vote for Biden is a vote for the end of this democracy.

Nothing else matters. 
    We don't live in a true Democracy..  We live in a Representative Democracy.. 

Didn't Hillary get more votes than Trump?  

And recently, Voice votes in the House of Reps passed the largest corporate bailouts in world history ??? Wouldn't want to hold "Representatives" to their actual votes .

Hey I understand... I pounded the table and said the same thing for Bill Clinton and Barrack Obama,,,  I guess it was better???? Looking around its hard to tell...Foreign Wars, Factories lost, Wall Street Greed Run Rampant, Prisons full, Homeless, Eduation, Healthcare..etc...    Not much hope and the "change" has only seemed to help the few.

Sorry just lost a lot of faith in our government to do anything as it stands right now.. It's like an old favorite car, you love it, but it needs a motor overhaul and some body work. The caretakers haven't done a very good job taking care of her. 

Also... I kinda liked it when candidates actually tried to create popular policy and tried to bring people on board with promises.. even if a lie... Joe's promise?  "Back to Normal"....So just back to the normal screwing over with a smile? ;)

Go TEAM!

Bernie lost. Get over it. You have choices in November. Move on or start a viable third party.

Yea, because Clinton and Obama screwed over the masses. Please.
    Obama: DARK act, not pulling out of the endless wars to save face. Assasinating osama bin laden with no trial, drone strikes etc, wall st bailout, continuation of the security state

Clinton: NAFTA, allowing capital and businesses free trade and access to global markets but not allowing workers the same protections, mass media deregulation that has led to our current poor state of media and cultural monopoly, mandatory minimums, three strikes expanding private prisons and incarceration

too be fair neither of them started the ball rolling but they both sure didn’t do much to stop it.  It is not hard to see why some people are really beginning to be more and more disillusioned by the current state of lesser of two evils politicking and the right of center path that mainstream America has been treading. 

But yeah the people that are upset with the system are the actual problem. 🙄
    Obama, didn’t vote for the Iraq war and withdrew US forces from Iraq. Really, you feel sorry for Osama bin Laden not getting a fair trial? Really? And the Wall Street bailout that was a return on investment? You Bernie supporters really are worse than the Deplorables, in some ways. 
    Look at Holder v Humanitarian Law Project.  It essentially said that if someone on the government terrorism list comes to you for advice, say a plan for a strategy of non violence you are guilty of supporting terrorism. Nelson Mandela was once on that list, so was Saddam Hussein, but he was taken off before Mandela....now this is in no way saying that Republicans are better than Democrats at least on an elected politician level, because they aren’t.  The republicans are much worse. The Democrats are however no saints.
    Osama bin Laden sought solutions via non-violence. 9/11 was an inside job, I guess?
    I never said that. You are pretty insufferable at times. Osama bin laden wasn’t and isn’t the only person that has ever been on the terror watch list.  If you choose to blindly believe Democrats don’t have deep flaws that is fine, and provides a solid foundation as to why you are so hyper critical of anyone that questions the party in any way.
    But that is who YOU referenced in your initial defense of your criticism of Obama. “Hyper critical?” Defend your both sides are the same. Please.
    Again never said both sides are the same so it would be pointless for me to defend a POV I don’t have.

Osama was one of many of my initial criticisms.  If you are ok with a precedent that says that anyone can be killed without trial if the government declares them an enemy that’s great I’m not ok with that. That was an example of Obama continuing us foreign policy as usual.  
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,473
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Even is she truly does have no intention of bringing a lawsuit, would she really have no lawyer urging her to stay the hell off of Twitter?
    Yeah good point.  She would have a lawyer.  
    She's most likely being counseled by someone loosely connected to the Trump campaign...

... "most likely" you say.
    Ha ha...I had the same thought and was like "ehhhhhhh...forget it"
    Reader’s lawyer donated $55,000 to Trump’s campaign in 2016. Shocking, right?
    Her other lawyer represented Sputnik, Russian state tv

Have a lovely weekend. 
    https://time.com/5834049/tara-reade-biden-lawyer/

Biden Accuser’s Lawyer Is Trump Donor With History of Representing Sexual Harassment Accusers

In this April 4 2019 photo Tara Reade poses for a photo during an interview with The Associated Press in Nevada City Calif
    In this April 4, 2019, photo Tara Reade poses for a photo during an interview with The Associated Press in Nevada City, Calif.

Donald Thompson–AP
    MAY 8, 2020 1:13 AM EDT

(WASHINGTON) — Tara Reade, a former Senate staffer who alleged Joe Biden sexually assaulted her 27 years ago, is being represented by a prominent lawyer and political donor to President Donald Trump’s 2016 Republican campaign.

Attorney Douglas Wigdor told The Associated Press he was not currently being paid for his work with Reade. His firm also denied there was a political motivation for his decision to represent Reade in her accusations against Trump’s presumptive Democratic opponent in the November election.

“We have decided to take this matter on because every survivor has the right to competent counsel,” the firm said in a statement.

Reade has said for weeks that she was struggling to find a lawyer willing to represent her. She’s accused Biden of sexually assaulting her in 1993, when she worked on his Senate staff. He has denied her allegation.

On Thursday, Reade said she wanted Biden to be “held accountable” and called on him to drop out of the presidential race. Her comments came in her first on-camera interview, conducted by former Fox News and NBC News journalist Megyn Kelly.

Pressed by a Florida television station about Reade’s comment, Biden reiterated his denial of the allegation.

“The truth is what matters,” he told Bay News 9. “In this case, the truth is these claims are flat-out false.”

Wigdor is well known for his work on prominent cases related to sexual harassment and assault. He represented six women who accused Harvey Weinstein, the disgraced Hollywood producer, of sexual misconduct. He has also represented a number of Fox News employees in cases alleging gender and racial discrimination at the network, including Juliette Huddy, one of the women who accused Bill O’Reilly of pursuing a sexual relationship with her and retaliating when she refused. In 2018, he spoke out in the media defending Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault.

Wigdor has been a supporter of Trump and provided about $55,000 in campaign contributions in 2016, according to Federal Election Commission records. He has also given tens of thousands of dollars to state and local Democratic politicians in New York, including New York Rep. Hakeem Jeffries and New York Attorney General Letitia James. He has not donated to either Trump’s or Biden’s 2020 campaign.

Wigdor said he plans to help Reade in her dealings with the media and any independent investigations into her allegations that might occur. He said the two have not discussed bringing a lawsuit based on her claims, but he did not rule that out.

Wigdor suggested Reade’s earlier struggles to find a lawyer to represent her were the result of “politics.”

“I think highly of a lot of these people,” he said. “These are my friends and colleagues, people who I respect, but they tend to be Democrats or liberals, and they were not interested, because of that, in representing Tara Reade.”

Over the weekend, another attorney, William Moran, told the AP he was working with Reade.

Moran, who works at a law firm in Columbia, Maryland, previously wrote and edited for Sputnik, a news agency founded and supported by the Russian state-owned media company Rossiya Segodnya. A January 2017 reportreleased by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence on Russia’s interference in the 2016 campaign said Sputnik was part of “Russia’s state-run propaganda machine,” which “contributed to the influence campaign by serving as a platform for Kremlin messaging to Russian and international audiences.”

Reade herself has faced questions about her past writing praising Russian President Vladimir Putin. Reade on Thursday expressed concern to Kelly about having been “called a Russian agent” and said she had received a death threat from someone who “thought I was being a traitor to America.”

There is no evidence to suggest Reade or Moran worked at the behest of Russia with respect to the Biden allegation.

Moran contacted the AP on behalf of Reade to complain about and seek changes in a story detailing what Reade says she remembers writing in a Senate complaint about Biden. Reade told the AP she did not allege sexual assault in the complaint and did not explicitly use the words “sexual harassment,” though that is the behavior she believes she was describing.

Moran told the AP in a text message Thursday that he found the focus on his past work “disgraceful.” He said Reade requested that he reach out to the AP “on a limited matter.”

“I do not turn away clients who I believe and who have credible causes of action. I never will,” he said.

Wigdor said Reade told him she was connected to Moran through Katie Halper, a podcaster who first interviewed Reade about her sexual assault allegation against Biden in March. It’s unclear how Reade connected with Wigdor, who said he believed she found the firm through “word of mouth and our reputation.”

Reade first spoke out about her alleged interactions with Biden in 2019, telling journalists he had touched her inappropriately while she worked on his Senate staff. She came forward in 2020, around the time Biden became the presumptive Democratic nominee, with new allegations of assault.

She says she didn’t initially disclose the assault allegations because she was scared of backlash and was still coming to terms with what had happened to her.

He represented 6 of Weinstein's victims, so it's revealing which part of the biography you prefer to focus on. This is exactly an attack Republicans used against Ford, by the way.

If you're accusing a Republican-nominated Supreme Court Justice, you'll probably wind up with high powered Democrat attorneys. If you're accusing a Democrat Presidential candidate, you'll probably wind up with high powered Republican attorneys. This doesn't help your conspiracy theory. 
    I said she is likely represented by someone "loosely connected to the Trump campaign." 

If donating more than most Americans make in a single year to his campaign is not loosely connected, I don't know what to tell you.. Sorry.
    Literally Fox News tactics

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/gregg-jarrett-in-kavanaugh-battle-are-fords-lawyers-representing-her-or-the-democrats
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    There has been a Libertarian in Congress for a week now and the Constitution has not spontaneously combusted
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,536
    edited May 2020
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Even is she truly does have no intention of bringing a lawsuit, would she really have no lawyer urging her to stay the hell off of Twitter?
    She's most likely being counseled by someone loosely connected to the Trump campaign...

Have a lovely weekend. 

Biden Accuser’s Lawyer Is Trump Donor With History of Representing Sexual Harassment Accusers

In this April 4 2019 photo Tara Reade poses for a photo during an interview with The Associated Press in Nevada City Calif
    In this April 4, 2019, photo Tara Reade poses for a photo during an interview with The Associated Press in Nevada City, Calif.

Donald Thompson–AP

(WASHINGTON) — Tara Reade, a former Senate staffer who alleged Joe Biden sexually assaulted her 27 years ago, is being represented by a prominent lawyer and political donor to President Donald Trump’s 2016 Republican campaign.

Attorney Douglas Wigdor told The Associated Press he was not currently being paid for his work with Reade. His firm also denied there was a political motivation for his decision to represent Reade in her accusations against Trump’s presumptive Democratic opponent in the November election.

“We have decided to take this matter on because every survivor has the right to competent counsel,” the firm said in a statement.

Reade has said for weeks that she was struggling to find a lawyer willing to represent her. She’s accused Biden of sexually assaulting her in 1993, when she worked on his Senate staff. He has denied her allegation.

On Thursday, Reade said she wanted Biden to be “held accountable” and called on him to drop out of the presidential race. Her comments came in her first on-camera interview, conducted by former Fox News and NBC News journalist Megyn Kelly.

Pressed by a Florida television station about Reade’s comment, Biden reiterated his denial of the allegation.

“The truth is what matters,” he told Bay News 9. “In this case, the truth is these claims are flat-out false.”

Wigdor is well known for his work on prominent cases related to sexual harassment and assault. He represented six women who accused Harvey Weinstein, the disgraced Hollywood producer, of sexual misconduct. He has also represented a number of Fox News employees in cases alleging gender and racial discrimination at the network, including Juliette Huddy, one of the women who accused Bill O’Reilly of pursuing a sexual relationship with her and retaliating when she refused. In 2018, he spoke out in the media defending Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault.

Wigdor has been a supporter of Trump and provided about $55,000 in campaign contributions in 2016, according to Federal Election Commission records. He has also given tens of thousands of dollars to state and local Democratic politicians in New York, including New York Rep. Hakeem Jeffries and New York Attorney General Letitia James. He has not donated to either Trump’s or Biden’s 2020 campaign.

Wigdor said he plans to help Reade in her dealings with the media and any independent investigations into her allegations that might occur. He said the two have not discussed bringing a lawsuit based on her claims, but he did not rule that out.

Wigdor suggested Reade’s earlier struggles to find a lawyer to represent her were the result of “politics.”

“I think highly of a lot of these people,” he said. “These are my friends and colleagues, people who I respect, but they tend to be Democrats or liberals, and they were not interested, because of that, in representing Tara Reade.”

Over the weekend, another attorney, William Moran, told the AP he was working with Reade.

Moran, who works at a law firm in Columbia, Maryland, previously wrote and edited for Sputnik, a news agency founded and supported by the Russian state-owned media company Rossiya Segodnya. A January 2017 reportreleased by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence on Russia’s interference in the 2016 campaign said Sputnik was part of “Russia’s state-run propaganda machine,” which “contributed to the influence campaign by serving as a platform for Kremlin messaging to Russian and international audiences.”

Reade herself has faced questions about her past writing praising Russian President Vladimir Putin. Reade on Thursday expressed concern to Kelly about having been “called a Russian agent” and said she had received a death threat from someone who “thought I was being a traitor to America.”

There is no evidence to suggest Reade or Moran worked at the behest of Russia with respect to the Biden allegation.

Moran contacted the AP on behalf of Reade to complain about and seek changes in a story detailing what Reade says she remembers writing in a Senate complaint about Biden. Reade told the AP she did not allege sexual assault in the complaint and did not explicitly use the words “sexual harassment,” though that is the behavior she believes she was describing.

Moran told the AP in a text message Thursday that he found the focus on his past work “disgraceful.” He said Reade requested that he reach out to the AP “on a limited matter.”

“I do not turn away clients who I believe and who have credible causes of action. I never will,” he said.

Wigdor said Reade told him she was connected to Moran through Katie Halper, a podcaster who first interviewed Reade about her sexual assault allegation against Biden in March. It’s unclear how Reade connected with Wigdor, who said he believed she found the firm through “word of mouth and our reputation.”

Reade first spoke out about her alleged interactions with Biden in 2019, telling journalists he had touched her inappropriately while she worked on his Senate staff. She came forward in 2020, around the time Biden became the presumptive Democratic nominee, with new allegations of assault.

She says she didn’t initially disclose the assault allegations because she was scared of backlash and was still coming to terms with what had happened to her.

He represented 6 of Weinstein's victims, so it's revealing which part of the biography you prefer to focus on. This is exactly an attack Republicans used against Ford, by the way.

If you're accusing a Republican-nominated Supreme Court Justice, you'll probably wind up with high powered Democrat attorneys. If you're accusing a Democrat Presidential candidate, you'll probably wind up with high powered Republican attorneys. This doesn't help your conspiracy theory. 
    I said she is likely represented by someone "loosely connected to the Trump campaign." 

If donating more than most Americans make in a single year to his campaign is not loosely connected, I don't know what to tell you.. Sorry.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/gregg-jarrett-in-kavanaugh-battle-are-fords-lawyers-representing-her-or-the-democrats
    Aww, it's okay to admit you're wrong. "Loosely connected to the Trump campaign" was all I said and, turns out I was right. Calling that a Fox News tactic, is not disproving my point. Sorry.  

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:

Have a lovely weekend. 

Donald Thompson–AP

Aww, it's okay to admit you're wrong. "Loosely connected to the Trump campaign" was all I said and, turns out I was right. Calling that a Fox News tactic, is not disproving my point. Sorry.  

She didn't have this lawyer when you offered your conspiracy theory 
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:

Have a lovely weekend. 

Donald Thompson–AP

She didn't have this lawyer when you offered your conspiracy theory 
    Ha. She does now. It was only a matter of time. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,782
    Biden
    Does soul-eater think this will help him to suppress the vote and/or interfere with any mail-in voting? Will it help him to claim shenanigans when he loses? His corrupt history raises questions about his motives here. 

Top Republican fundraiser and Trump ally named postmaster general, giving president new influence over Postal Service
    May 6, 2020 at 9:05 p.m. CDT

A top donor to President Trump and the Republican National Committee will be named the new head of the Postal Service, putting a top ally of the president in charge of an agency where Trump has long pressed for major changes in how it handles its business.
    The Postal Service’s board of governors confirmed late Wednesday that Louis DeJoy, a North Carolina businessman who is currently in charge of fundraising for the Republican National Convention in Charlotte, will serve as the new postmaster general.

The action will install a stalwart Trump ally to lead the Postal Service, which he has railed against for years, and probably move him closer than ever before to forcing the service to renegotiate its terms with companies and its own union workforce. Trump’s Treasury Department and the Postal Service are in the midst of a negotiation over a $10 billion line of credit approved as part of coronavirus legislation in March.

More at

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    There has been a Libertarian in Congress for a week now and the Constitution has not spontaneously combusted
    He also hasn't accomplished anything.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    And there’s a separate thread for him.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    And he won't be a member of Congress for much longer.
  • Options
    Biden
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    And he won't be a member of Congress for much longer.
    Right, you can't run for two federal offices at the same time.  So the last Libertarian in Congress is preparing to retire.  
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Neither had Obama, but people only use the experience excuse if it runs in their favor. 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    If your preferred candidate is a grizzled Senator it's "experience and accomplishments!"

If your preferred candidate is a young-ish upstart it's "an outsider who will shake up the status quo!"

• Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Neither had Obama, but people only use the experience excuse if it runs in their favor. 
    I love that one it was stupid when it was used against Bernie and its stupid to use against Amash.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I love that one it was stupid when it was used against Bernie and its stupid to use against Amash.
    In the abstract, if someone has passed a lot of legislation I don't agree with, I'll happily go with "no key legislation and a bunch of positions I agree with"
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I would argue Obama sponsored and co-sponsored more legislation in his short senate career than Amash has during his time as a Libertarian.  
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    In the abstract, if someone has passed a lot of legislation I don't agree with, I'll happily go with "no key legislation and a bunch of positions I agree with"
    I would agree with that. Yeah I would rather be voting for someone that I agree with over someone who has passed a lot of legislation. I’m in Texas so Trump is winning here no matter what I do with my vote.  Maybe I will contribute to Amash just so I don’t feel bad for continuing the more of the same trajectory
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I would agree with that. Yeah I would rather be voting for someone that I agree with over someone who has passed a lot of legislation. I’m in Texas so Trump is winning here no matter what I do with my vote.  Maybe I will contribute to Amash just so I don’t feel bad for continuing the more of the same trajectory
    He will likely win Texas but it is no longer a lock like states such as Alabama or Mississippi anymore
    https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    I would argue Obama sponsored and co-sponsored more legislation in his short senate career than Amash has during his time as a Libertarian.  
    He's been in Congress for a decade
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    Biden
    The presidency is a leadership position. Success as a policy wonk in congress rarely indicates whether or not someone is qualified for it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    You're mixing 'passed' with sponsoring and co-sponsoring.  If you're not even attempting legislation, and not voting for legislation, what precisely are you doing there?  Voice of the contrarian?
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    He's been in Congress for a decade
    As a Republican...  
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    No thanks. My plan is to start a thread if/when he gets the nomination. That way I can update the first post with positions, relevant media, etc. I'll post stuff unique to him there and stuff related to the general race here (or whichever thread we're on when this one gets locked).
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    We'll take all the help we can get!
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    So the first half of your post directly contradicted the second half of the post.  You believe in voting for what you believe in, but then want to contribute to Amash who likely stands in direct contrast to all of your stated social safety net positions.  Interesting... 
  • Options
    Biden
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    static111 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    He will likely win Texas but it is no longer a lock like states such as Alabama or Mississippi anymore
    https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump-2/
    Wow in that case might as well keep in the Biden camp don’t want a replay of 16
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    No thanks. My plan is to start a thread if/when he gets the nomination. That way I can update the first post with positions, relevant media, etc. I'll post stuff unique to him there and stuff related to the general race here (or whichever thread we're on when this one gets locked).
    Has he formally announced or is he still in exploratory mode? Seems weird, either way, not to have positions. Makes it easier when the winds change direction I guess.

Brilliantati©