Options

Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    edited May 2020
    pjl44 said:
    I'm open to the idea that this situation could have been handled better by a Biden administration, but statements like this demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding (or willful misrepresentation) of the challenge we're facing right now.

In the context of Team Trump, this tweet is bang on.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,493
    I'm sitting this one out
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:
    I'm open to the idea that this situation could have been handled better by a Biden administration, but statements like this demonstrate a fundamental misunderstanding (or willful misrepresentation) of the challenge we're facing right now.

That's my point. He's choosing to engage with the dumbest argument which makes me question his leadership abilities. 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    And that's the most generous interpretation. If he actually thinks the economic argument is about the stock market and not 33 million unemployment claims, we'd have been screwed either way.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,877
    edited May 2020
    Biden
    pjl44 said:

I think he's saying that choosing between the economy and lives is a false choice, one that should not have to be made.  This is countering the Trump statement a few days ago that some people will die because of the economy reopening.  I don't think there's anything wrong with this tweet,  Trump's statement left a gaping hole to take a shot.  

edit - also remember the comments by the TX Lt Gov which are even more morbid. 
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:

I think he's saying that choosing between the economy and lives is a false choice, one that should not have to be made.  This is countering the Trump statement a few days ago that some people will die because of the economy reopening.  I don't think there's anything wrong with this tweet,  Trump's statement left a gaping hole to take a shot.  

edit - also remember the comments by the TX Lt Gov which are even more morbid. 
    What you're saying is nuanced and, in my view, wholly different than what Biden is saying 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,555
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

That's my point. He's choosing to engage with the dumbest argument which makes me question his leadership abilities. 
    He's running against an ignoramus who constantly says dumb things that's easy to retort. There's nothing wrong with this statement. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

He's running against an ignoramus who constantly says dumb things that's easy to retort. There's nothing wrong with this statement. 
    When we were all in consensus about it being smart of him to lay low on the coronavirus stuff, it's kinda for this reason. Trump's dumb response makes it easy to imagine anyone else with a pulse doing a better job. Popping his head up to belch that out calls attention to the fact that he may not have much better of a grasp on things.
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

When we were all in consensus about it being smart of him to lay low on the coronavirus stuff, it's kinda for this reason. Trump's dumb response makes it easy to imagine anyone else with a pulse doing a better job. Popping his head up to belch that out calls attention to the fact that he may not have much better of a grasp on things.
    Nah. Trump made a boneheaded statement. Biden tweeted a response. It's really not a big deal. Nothing wrong here. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    These are totally different topics.  Does Amash think a certain number of deaths are okay to save the economy? Trump does,  Biden doesn't.  Where does Amash sit?
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    And that's the most generous interpretation. If he actually thinks the economic argument is about the stock market and not 33 million unemployment claims, we'd have been screwed either way.
    You don't think one of the KPIs for the economy Trump is the stock market?  He talks about that more than unemployment numbers. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,201
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

That makes no sense.  You just want to argue.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,201
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    I don't disagree with getting money directly to the people vs through employers.  At least for the next round.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    You don't think one of the KPIs for the economy Trump is the stock market?  He talks about that more than unemployment numbers. 
    Yes, I'm sure he does and it's stupid. That's why I'm annoyed that Biden is engaging with stupid arguments. If he's gonna chime in, offer an affirmative solution. Unless he just did.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    These are totally different topics.  Does Amash think a certain number of deaths are okay to save the economy? Trump does,  Biden doesn't.  Where does Amash sit?
    You're approaching this way too broadly. If I were to answer your question directly, it's obviously "yes." A plan that estimates 5 incremental deaths but brings back 20 million jobs in a month would be covered. That is a wild exaggeration, but it's to make a point about how silly and unseriously it's being discussed by 2 Presidential candidates. 

I posted that Amash point because it's directly addressing the unemployment aspect. Beyond that I think his position is that how to re-open is a state-by-state decision. The federal government should provide guidance, but if they aren't (for ineptitude or whatever reason), it still is ultimately going to fall on each state.
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

In my opinion, he would have been better off keeping quiet than saying that 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 37,022
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    You're approaching this way too broadly. If I were to answer your question directly, it's obviously "yes." A plan that estimates 5 incremental deaths but brings back 20 million jobs in a month would be covered. That is a wild exaggeration, but it's to make a point about how silly and unseriously it's being discussed by 2 Presidential candidates. 

I posted that Amash point because it's directly addressing the unemployment aspect. Beyond that I think his position is that how to re-open is a state-by-state decision. The federal government should provide guidance, but if they aren't (for ineptitude or whatever reason), it still is ultimately going to fall on each state.
    Amash’s Point is stupid given that the states that are reopening haven’t experienced any of the four criteria that the Team Trump Treason Administration’s own CDC and experts recommended needed to occur. Just more libertarian power to the people bullshit. How does Amash’s point address the unemployment aspect? And like Sleepy Woke Joe’s tweet is some kind of policy proposal? Sure. It’s a fucking tweet.

And ahhh, the federal government has provided guidance, guidance that some states and Team Trump Treason have willfully chosen to ignore but guidance nevertheless. Good luck ‘Murica.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,812
    pjl44 said:

...you know who else has a fundamental misunderstanding of the challenge we're facing right now....???
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Biden
    CM189191 said:
    pjl44 said:

...you know who else has a fundamental misunderstanding of the challenge we're facing right now....???
    hahaha

The tweet's fine. Total non-issue. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

I agree with the others.  He's a democratic candidate,  not a libertarian.  That tweet is in line with the party.  
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Biden
    I don't see a problem with that tweet at all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 19,001
    Biden
    This discussion does serve as an important reminder that Biden will only win by rallying Democrats and left-leaning independents to him. Some centrists will come as well, but he cannot depend on right-leaning voters defecting from the GOP en masse. It just won't happen, and gearing his message to them would be a mistake. The tweet is fine and the people nitpicking it are not going to be Biden voters.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,315
    Biden
    mfc2006 said:
    I don't see a problem with that tweet at all.
    i don't either.

some people just want to argue and no matter what anybody says it just isn't good enough.

i am not voting for amash, so i do not give a shit what he tweets. people not voting for biden would be better served to not give a shit what he tweets either because it will never be to their approval.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,782
    Biden
    What I would like to see from the people I've seen in the press who want things open again right now, today, so the economy can recover is a written list of their own family members they're willing to sacrifice to that end. Name names. Who are you willing to give up from your own family -- not mine. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Biden
    Kat said:
    What I would like to see from the people I've seen in the press who want things open again right now, today, so the economy can recover is a written list of their own family members they're willing to sacrifice to that end. Name names. Who are you willing to give up from your own family -- not mine. 

Bingo. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dignin said:
    pjl44 said:

I agree with the others.  He's a democratic candidate,  not a libertarian.  That tweet is in line with the party.  
    I don't doubt this at all
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    Kat said:

Other than an extremely narrow fringe, no one is advocating for things to be "open again right now." The debate is over when states should begin this first phase of loosening up.

There are huge physiological implications to keeping things locked down, also. Exacerbation of behavioral health issues, domestic violence, and chronic medical conditions chief among them. With 33 million people unemployed, how many more people will be struggling with homelessness over the next year and beyond? There is no side of this argument that wouldn't involve people making a list if that's what we're doing. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    Biden

Kat said:

I've often thought there should be a social contract where protesters and other people who refuse to do the things they ought to be doing are moved to the bottom of the priority list for treatment...then it hits me that this is impractical/impossible.  I go through that little process a few times a week.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,846
    Biden
    pjl44 said:
    Kat said:

Other than an extremely narrow fringe, no one is advocating for things to be "open again right now." The debate is over when states should begin this first phase of loosening up.

There are huge physiological implications to keeping things locked down, also. Exacerbation of behavioral health issues, domestic violence, and chronic medical conditions chief among them. With 33 million people unemployed, how many more people will be struggling with homelessness over the next year and beyond? There is no side of this argument that wouldn't involve people making a list if that's what we're doing. 

I understand that those wanting things to be open right now are over-represented by their loudness...but I'm not convinced of the extremeness of how narrow they are; nor that it's a narrow group.  Or a fringe group.  If anyone knows numbers, I'd be curious.  But while they're in the minority, I think there's a lot of people that are hurting economically or simply have the belief that every government measure in this area is a taking of liberty and the principle at stake is more important than the result. (Not to mention the people that think it's a worldwide hoax to bring trump down after the failed coup in the form of impeachment).

I also anticipate this group growing.  Most people are getting frustrated.  Things like depression and anxiety are going to be exacerbated and eventually, the people are going to decide that this is enough. And that'll be beyond the fringe. That'll include people just saying "screw it, I'm going where I want and I'm wearing a mask. This is no way to live."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    I'm sitting this one out
    OnWis97 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Kat said:

I understand that those wanting things to be open right now are over-represented by their loudness...but I'm not convinced of the extremeness of how narrow they are; nor that it's a narrow group.  Or a fringe group.  If anyone knows numbers, I'd be curious.  But while they're in the minority, I think there's a lot of people that are hurting economically or simply have the belief that every government measure in this area is a taking of liberty and the principle at stake is more important than the result. (Not to mention the people that think it's a worldwide hoax to bring trump down after the failed coup in the form of impeachment).

I also anticipate this group growing.  Most people are getting frustrated.  Things like depression and anxiety are going to be exacerbated and eventually, the people are going to decide that this is enough. And that'll be beyond the fringe. That'll include people just saying "screw it, I'm going where I want and I'm wearing a mask. This is no way to live."
    We may disagree on the scale but I'm totally with you on everything else. I think most people are even willing to roll with it more if they're given some idea of what starting to loosen up will look like. Not sure if you're in the coronavirus thread, but over the last few pages you can find info on how British Columbia officials are approaching it. In my opinion, it's leaps and bounds better than just about anywhere I've seen in the US. Very thoughtful, logical, and digestible.