Biden vs Trump 2020 - vote now and discuss!

Comments

• Biden
    Breaking news:

Kanye West has conceded the election. He received about 60,000 votes nationwide. 

Goofy as the whole thing was, he actually received more votes in Iowa than the Green Party candidate. Close margin though. Will Hawkins demand a recount?

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    Biden
    tbergs said:

Sums it up pretty well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/liberal-election-fantasy-loses-trumpism-wins/2020/11/04/ca79be4c-1e91-11eb-90dd-abd0f7086a91_story.html

So you were hoping for a “repudiation.” A resounding rejection of Trump and Trumpism.

Election officials and news outlets had spent the better part of the month warning us that this would be an election week not an election day, and still in some liberal circles, there was a jacked-up fantasy that nobody would have to wait for Pennsylvania’s tortured ballot count because by 10 p.m. Joe Biden would turn Florida and North Carolina blue — and maybe Texas, why not?

Sorry. As John King or Steve Kornacki spent the night informing viewers from their respective magic walls, Donald Trump over-performed in myriad polling measures. There would be no landslides, only squeakers and clenched jaws — and, possibly, court fights.

Win or lose, Trumpism will not have been swept into the dustbin of history; it will remain all over the furniture. It’s part of the furniture. Unsweepable.

Anecdote isn’t evidence, but I’ll note that for the past two years, the demographic in my inbox who most fervently believed in a 2020 blue landslide were White liberal men and occasionally White liberal women. Surely, they insisted, what had happened in 2016 was a blip. Hillary Clinton had been uniquely flawed, the country uniquely complacent, Donald Trump uniquely novel. The results didn’t really reflect America. Black women would save the party; Black women would save us all.

The Black women who wrote to me, meanwhile, were exhausted and often worried. To them, 2016 didn’t feel like a blip. It felt like the America they’d already been living in for decades was finally made visible to the rest of the country. Yes, it had always been racist. Yes, it had always been sexist. Yes, yes, yes.

If you, like Joe Biden, have had the recurring privilege of sadly shaking your head and saying, “This isn’t who we are,” what you really meant was, “This isn’t who I’ve ever had to see us be.” What you really meant was, “This isn’t my America . . .Crap, is it yours?”

Meanwhile, the Supreme Court was reshaped, and conspiracy theories multiplied, and 230,000 Americans died in a pandemic, and children were in cages, and however the race ends up, as of mid-Wednesday morning Donald Trump had amassed 3 million more votes nationwide than he did in 2016: according to exit polls, he performed worse among White men, but slightly better among voters of color (Biden, at the same time Wednesday, was ahead in the popular vote by more than 2 million). On Tuesday a Georgia congressional seat was won by a QAnon believer, and a North Carolina seat was won by a 25-year-old Republican who used the dawning moments of his term as a United States representative to tweet out, “Cry more, lib.”

The bad parts of America are not blips, they’re characteristics. For every stone monument to democracy, an enslaved person forced to build a monument to democracy. For every “All men are created equal,” a reminder that it really did only mean men, and only some of them. For every barrier-breaker like Sarah McBride, the newly elected transgender Delaware state senator, who openheartedly tweeted, “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” there is a “cry more, lib.” Do you know how hard it is to love this place sometimes?

Maybe the closeness of this election will make us revisit Hillary Clinton: It wasn’t so much that she was flawed as that we were. Older white male candidates don’t guarantee a tidal wave, either.

Still, votes are being counted.

Wisconsin was red for most of the night, and then Milwaukee and the mail-ins arrived, and around 4 or 5 in the morning, Biden pulled tenuously ahead. By 9 a.m. CNN’s chryon read, “Biden takes lead in tight Michigan race,” and a Detroit election official tersely told Chris Cuomo that more results could have come in while she was waiting on air to talk to him.

Pennsylvania isn’t guaranteeing anything until Friday, officials have said, and chances are decent that it will come down to Pennsylvania again. Georgia isn’t out of the game for Democrats, either — its mail-in ballots are still trickling in.

Biden might not lose. But some of the pillars of Americana he ran on — decency, truthfulness (or at least accountability for lying your tail off), a prevailing respect for science and history — may emerge all the shakier.

You can’t effectively repudiate a worldview that nearly half the country believes in. Or at least, is willing to vote for.

yeah, i hoped it was a blip. it ain't. i may have to just stop paying attention. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Biden
    Great news SC!  Keep the twitter updates coming.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Biden
    While I hope this is true, I will believe this when I see it. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Biden
    JimmyV said:
    While I hope this is true, I will believe this when I see it. 
    Im thinking the Trump camp knows the calculation, which is why team Rudy is rushing to Philadelphia
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520

Thinking about out spring chats about sanders and m4a. Hopefully this election demonstrates America is at least ten years away from supporting policies like that. Maybe more.

If Biden picked either Sanders or Warren as a running mate, trump wins by a larger margin than last time imo.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,613
    Biden
    Breaking news:

Kanye West has conceded the election. He received about 60,000 votes nationwide. 

Goofy as the whole thing was, he actually received more votes in Iowa than the Green Party candidate. Close margin though. Will Hawkins demand a recount?

Well that does it.  I'm going to kill myself.  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I'm sitting this one out

Thinking about out spring chats about sanders and m4a. Hopefully this election demonstrates America is at least ten years away from supporting policies like that. Maybe more.

If Biden picked either Sanders or Warren as a running mate, trump wins by a larger margin than last time imo.
    Florida voted for 15 dollar minimun wage, but for Trump.

What does that demonstrate about this America?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,559
    Biden

Florida voted for 15 dollar minimun wage, but for Trump.

What does that demonstrate about this America?
    I don't know, but they both seem tied to individual wealth and the American dream of being filthy rich.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Biden
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

Well hold on now, there's a silver-lining.....

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Biden
    I’m thinking we’re in a 50/50 ball game still.  Court challenges, recounts etc.  but what some people aren’t factoring in yet is faithless electors. In some states it is illegal for the electoral college to vote against the will of the voters, in others it’s just a norm...we see how the Rs have been following norms as of late.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Biden
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

get in line
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    edited November 2020
    Biden
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

BWAHAHAHA. 

edit: maybe i should be a little more careful. i recall having the same reaction when trump entered the race....

www.headstonesband.com

Biden
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

What rich pop stars when thy have too much money and to much time on their hands!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Biden
    66+ million people voted for Trump. That I think surprises me more than anything else. I would have bet the 63mil he got in 2016 was his ceiling. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Biden
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

What rich pop stars when thy have too much money and to much time on their hands!
    he's a different breed. he's out of his fucking mind. he legit believes god spoke to him and told him he'd be president. 

if we laughed at the idea of a playboy pinup as a first lady, imagine a fucking kardashian. 

www.headstonesband.com

Trump and Rudy and the gang will hold a press confeernce.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited November 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

he's a different breed. he's out of his fucking mind. he legit believes god spoke to him and told him he'd be president. 
    Didn't W Bush say the same thing?

EDIT: or was that about bombing civilians in Iraq...
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    edited November 2020
    I'm sitting this one out
    nvm. Wrong
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited November 2020
    Biden
    Trump and Rudy and the gang will hold a press confeernce.
    "if it weren't for those meddling dems!". 

someone needs to do a drawing of trump (fred) and ivanka (daphne) and rudy (velma) and jared (shaggy) unmasking biden (ghost) holding a bunch of "missing" trump votes. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

Biden
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

if we laughed at the idea of a playboy pinup as a first lady, imagine a fucking kardashian. 

I hope he finds the right medication for his illness!

Biden
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

kim has gone public about it, actually, that he's (i think it was) bipolar. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited November 2020
    Doesn't matter, with Michigan pretty much done, and Nevada close, Biden doesn't need PA. He wins by 3 votes without PA I think.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    static111 said:
    I’m thinking we’re in a 50/50 ball game still.  Court challenges, recounts etc.  but what some people aren’t factoring in yet is faithless electors. In some states it is illegal for the electoral college to vote against the will of the voters, in others it’s just a norm...we see how the Rs have been following norms as of late.  
    You don't remember the commercials 4 years ago with all the celebrities like Robert Deniro begging the EC not to vote for Trump?
    Biden
    fox has it 248 to 214
    cnn has it 237 to 213

i get the 11, but what 1 vote does trump have on fox that he doesn't have on cnn?

www.headstonesband.com

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Biden
    fox has it 248 to 214
    cnn has it 237 to 213

i get the 11, but what 1 vote does trump have on fox that he doesn't have on cnn?
    The 1 Maine district I think
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Breaking news:

kim has gone public about it, actually, that he's (i think it was) bipolar. 
    Here's one of his albums

• Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Biden
    Pennsylvania; I AM THE MOST IMPORTANT STATE IN THIS ELECTION! ALL EYES WILL BE ON ME!

That one random state that only exists for gambling and sex addicts: HOLD MY BEER!