Options

Who Ever Said

Comments

• Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    mcgruff10 said:
    @Eilian just listened to this song again and I finally understand what you are talking about with mike s solo.  I actually agree with you.  Mike definitely could have elevated this solo.  (Maybe he will live)
    Eek - can't see the live version being more thought out, but all digits crossed. It's still got a cool swagger overall.
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    Eilian said:
    A non-guitarist commenting on a solo is hilarious...
    Commenting negatively, you mean?

If I had said it was the best solo I'd ever heard, my not being a lead guitarist wouldn't have devalued my opinion at all, would it?
    My absolute favorite all time guitar solo occurs in Flowers of Guatemala by REM/Peter Buck.

It's simple but just drips emotion.

Not sure how that relates here though, lol. Carry on.
  • Options
    Whywhyzed said:
    Eilian said:
    A non-guitarist commenting on a solo is hilarious...
    Commenting negatively, you mean?

If I had said it was the best solo I'd ever heard, my not being a lead guitarist wouldn't have devalued my opinion at all, would it?
    My absolute favorite all time guitar solo occurs in Flowers of Guatemala by REM/Peter Buck.

It's simple but just drips emotion.

Not sure how that relates here though, lol. Carry on.
    The solo in that song is exactly what it needs. Simple, but melodic. 

My favourite solo of all time is My Sharona by The Knack - it's a complete song within a song. Proper technical in parts but always tasteful, never gratuitous... Painstakingly thought out. It's extraordinary.
  • Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 381
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

I don’t mean to get all inside baseball, but are you a musician? I ask because of your “lazy noodling” comment. 
    Of some description, yeah.
    You really think lazy noodling would be put in this record?
    It does it's best to ruin Quick Escape.

That end solo sounds like a one-take improv. It's horrible.
    Could you play it on the guitar?
    What are you, 12?

I'm not a lead guitarist. 
    Then how do you make generalizations about it if you have no idea the degree of difficulty it took?
    Are you being serious?

I'm acutely aware of my limitations as a guitarist. And am equally aware of how difficult technical shredding is. I also understand melody, and McCready's improvs are all too often devoid of it. Solos shouldn't be just noodley fret-wanking that goes nowhere, they should elevate the song with a melody of their own.

Forget me, MCCREADY is capable of serving that song better (His solo in SBWM is both technical and serves the section it's played over perfectly) - perhaps he just needs to be reined in more consistently by a producer. 
    SBWM solo doesn’t serve the song that well, feels like it’s from a completely different song and has wrong vibe. QE solo is much better, not close.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

I don’t mean to get all inside baseball, but are you a musician? I ask because of your “lazy noodling” comment. 

What are you, 12?

Then how do you make generalizations about it if you have no idea the degree of difficulty it took?
    Are you being serious?

I'm acutely aware of my limitations as a guitarist. And am equally aware of how difficult technical shredding is. I also understand melody, and McCready's improvs are all too often devoid of it. Solos shouldn't be just noodley fret-wanking that goes nowhere, they should elevate the song with a melody of their own.

Forget me, MCCREADY is capable of serving that song better (His solo in SBWM is both technical and serves the section it's played over perfectly) - perhaps he just needs to be reined in more consistently by a producer. 
    SBWM solo doesn’t serve the song that well, feels like it’s from a completely different song and has wrong vibe. QE solo is much better, not close.
    Fair enough - but QE sounds, as I say, like a one-take improv, whereas - to my ear at least - SBWM sounds like he planned it out.

PS - Didn't feel that way on first listen.
    Post edited by Eilian on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Fair enough - but QE sounds, as I say, like a one-take improv, whereas - to my ear at least - SBWM sounds like he planned it out.

It really sounds like you’re upset with Mike about this solo. I’m sure with counseling you’ll come to forgive him. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,948
    Who taps their foot in the intro to Who Ever Said!? Such a rocking beginning! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

It really sounds like you’re upset with Mike about this solo. I’m sure with counseling you’ll come to forgive him. 
    It's not just this solo. It's almost every live improv of the last 20 years.

To be fair to him, more often that not, the recorded versions work well.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Just know that we’re here for you. Things will get better and you will be able to move past this. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Just know that we’re here for you. Things will get better and you will be able to move past this. 
    Thanks butt.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.
    Denial and anger are all part of the process.  I think if Mike we’re here in person he would tell you that he hasn’t been purposely playing his solos for the last 20 years to upset you. 

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.
    Denial and anger are all part of the process.  I think if Mike we’re here in person he would tell you that he hasn’t been purposely playing his solos for the last 20 years to upset you. 
    I'm Welsh - "butt" is a term of endearment. Dim (no) anger here.

But, he has been - purposely - playing them other than how he recorded them, and I think they sound worse for it.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

But, he has been - purposely - playing them other than how he recorded them, and I think they sound worse for it.
    Hmmm... if you’re not a fan of Mike’s live style you might want to consider that Pearl Jam might not be the band for you.  

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

Hmmm... if you’re not a fan of Mike’s live style you might want to consider that Pearl Jam might not be the band for you.  
    "If the bathwater gets murky, you should probably throw the baby out with it."
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

It sounds like the bathwater is really upsetting to you.  Maybe just try to enjoy the record for what it is and not worry about what it isn't. 

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

It sounds like the bathwater is really upsetting to you.  Maybe just try to enjoy the record for what it is and not worry about what it isn't. 

You sound very invested in this idea of me being really upset. It's actually quite strange.

You were supposed to glean from the bathwater comment, how ridiculous your suggestion that my preferring McCready's studio efforts to his live ones, should somehow make me less of a fan.

Your comments are cultish and creepy, like I need to swear an oath of allegiance.

Honestly, I think you're more concerned with how little I like this record than even I am.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

You sound very invested in this idea of me being really upset. It's actually quite strange.

You were supposed to glean from the bathwater comment, how ridiculous your suggestion that my preferring McCready's studio efforts to his live ones, should somehow make me less of a fan.

Your comments are cultish and creepy, like I need to swear an oath of allegiance.

Honestly, I think you're more concerned with how little I like this record than even I am.
    Are you gutted by his post?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

And I’M the troll?
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

You sound terribly upset about this solo.  We’ve heard it in post after post.  It sounds like an obsession. Why not just enjoy the record for what it is and not what it isn’t?

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    Finally got to play this album while driving. Amazing how little I do that these days. This song was a killer one to drive to. Found myself accelerating excessively near the end when Ed and Matt start increasing the tempo. I think it's one of their strongest opening tracks to put on an album. I also like how the intro is that first little snippet we ever got to hear when the promos for the album came out.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

You sound terribly upset about this solo.  We’ve heard it in post after post.  It sounds like an obsession. Why not just enjoy the record for what it is and not what it isn’t?
    You know a few posts back when I said “Thanks butt”

That was a natural stopping point - but you kept on going.

Shall we try again?

Thanks butt.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 901
    I can’t help but feel like the song is like three song ideas in one. It’s very disjointed but somehow still works for me
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,804
    tbergs said:
    Finally got to play this album while driving. Amazing how little I do that these days. This song was a killer one to drive to. Found myself accelerating excessively near the end when Ed and Matt start increasing the tempo. I think it's one of their strongest opening tracks to put on an album. I also like how the intro is that first little snippet we ever got to hear when the promos for the album came out.
    Just catching up on this thread and came to post the same thing about hearing it while driving. It has been a couple of days since I listened to this song and even longer since I have been out of the house going for a drive. This morning I was coming off of a 12 hour night shift and this popped on Sirius. I instinctively turned it up and up and up. Before I knew it the volume was maxed on my Highlander and I was looking for more volume.

This song is going to be a beast live and is right behind Quick Escape as my most hyped song I am looking forward to seeing. I love that it mixes it up continuously throughout.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Tremorman said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Are you being serious?

Thanks butt.

And I’M the troll?
    Oh my....a gut punch! Totally gutted.

In all seriousness......great song. Agree with others on it being a great driving song. That is how I heard it initially. Loved it right away. Went for a run this morning and, hey, that works too!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    On first listen I didn’t really like the song, it’s definitely grown on me. It has some great elements, had a bit of that classic rock feel in the riff and reminds me of arms aloft at the end 
  • Options
    I'm feeling like Who Ever Said is my new current favorite. 

• Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    on2legs said:
    I'm feeling like Who Ever Said is my new current favorite. 
    Mine too. The melody is stuck in my head on repeat.  

Love this  album.  I haven’t been this intrigued with Pearl Jam album since no code.  

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    Was my favorite when I first listened to the album and remains my favorite.
  • Options
    I keep going back to this one..
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    It was in my bottom two for the first few days. It may still be but man it’s growing on me!!