Options

Michael David McCready is the Jesus Christ of guitar playing

BlahBlah Posts: 469
edited November 2010 in The Porch
Cready is simply fuckin amazing. His guitar talks. He is the most under-rated guitarist of all-time.

M.A.C.C. - Hey Baby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u40L3X-6io
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Perfectly rated, everywhere except this board.

Stone is underrated, though. Even around here.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    appieappie Posts: 1,441
    nice vid Dimi! He is indead the greatist player in the world with the best band in the world
    The Jimmy Hendrix of this century....
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    Can't believe i'm risking it but,...

McCready's lengthy live noodling really annoys me.

I LOVE his contributions to the records, because they're considered and are nearly always as perfect a fit to the song as you could write. So then, when he strays from them to mindlessly, and often in my opinion uncomfortably fret wank his guitar for 20 minutes I can't wait for the vocals to kick back in.

I reckon some of the recorded solos are so amazing that playing anything different live is fucking mental,...Even Flow, Why Go, Immortality and Yellow Ledbetter spring to mind. Those solos are outstanding and the things he does live instead of them confuse me no end,...the live tone of Yellow Ledbetter is horrible and jarring compared to the recording also.

Stone however,...is ALWAYS bang on the money live.
  • Options
    i hope you still have a place in heaven..ill pray for you..
    Eilian wrote:

I LOVE his contributions to the records, because they're considered and are nearly always as perfect a fit to the song as you could write. So then, when he strays from them to mindlessly, and often in my opinion uncomfortably fret wank his guitar for 20 minutes I can't wait for the vocals to kick back in.

I reckon some of the recorded solos are so amazing that playing anything different live is fucking mental,...Even Flow, Why Go, Immortality and Yellow Ledbetter spring to mind. Those solos are outstanding and the things he does live instead of them confuse me no end,...the live tone of Yellow Ledbetter is horrible and jarring compared to the recording also.

“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Eilian wrote:

zachsnl.jpg
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    Eilian wrote:
    McCready's lengthy live noodling really annoys me.....
    ......when he strays from them to mindlessly, and often in my opinion uncomfortably fret wank his guitar for 20 minutes I can't wait for the vocals to kick back in.
    ......the live tone of Yellow Ledbetter is horrible and jarring compared to the recording also.

Samuel-L-Jackson-Eye-Roll1.jpg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGAqyzDWQeA

behind the fucking back and not the cheesy alive behind the back solo

he even pulls off the nerdy glasses look as cool as stone does

ed is jesus christ, mike is god and stone, jeff and matt are the 3 wisemen
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    ed is jesus christ, mike is god and stone, jeff and matt are the 3 wisemen
    WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • Options
    Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    DewieCox wrote:
    Perfectly rated, everywhere except this board.

Stone is underrated, though. Even around here.

This.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Man that song kicks ass, never heard of this project. Thanks. Did they do more?
  • Options
    Eilian wrote:

What band are you watching again? Seriously.
  • Options
    BlahBlah Posts: 469
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Man that song kicks ass, never heard of this project. Thanks. Did they do more?

M.A.C.C. is made up of Mike McCready, Jeff Ament, Matt Cameron and Chris Cornell.The name of the band is the initials of all their last names. It is the only song they did.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    I love Mike, but I have to agree that he is a little overrated on this board. PJ is by far my favorite band, and Stone and Mike are my favorite guitar players, but Mike is not the best in the world, or really even that close. He is good at what he does, but there are a lot of people out there, even in little run-down dingy bars who can do what he does. I used to think he was a god, but than I started getting out more and seeing more live music.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Eilian wrote:

What band are you watching again? Seriously.

Sorry,...i did try to convay how much i love his recorded efforts, but some solos shouldn't be improvised when the one laid down in the studio turns out to be a highlight of the song.

Truth be told i don't think he's as capable of improvisation as most people here do...and don't understand why he insists on trying.
  • Options
    Eilian wrote:

So then, when he strays from them to mindlessly, and often in my opinion uncomfortably fret wank his guitar for 20 minutes I can't wait for the vocals to kick back in.

This was THE reason to see Pearl Jam in the 90's....and the reason why the bootlegs from the 90's are the best. I sorta know what you're talking about with Mike..and I think it's a recent thing. Even Flow solos have been a joke since around '06. But prior to that, they were very, very awesome.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Eilian wrote:
    Truth be told i don't think he's as capable of improvisation as most people here do...and don't understand why he insists on trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGvQtumNAY
  • Options
    Eilian wrote:

So then, when he strays from them to mindlessly, and often in my opinion uncomfortably fret wank his guitar for 20 minutes I can't wait for the vocals to kick back in.

This was THE reason to see Pearl Jam in the 90's....and the reason why the bootlegs from the 90's are the best. I sorta know what you're talking about with Mike..and I think it's a recent thing. Even Flow solos have been a joke since around '06. But prior to that, they were very, very awesome.

yeah, he certainly wasn't guilty of it back in the day, he played to his ability with a focus on structure and melody,...much like he still does on the records.
  • Options
    if you don't like his "boring" solos then stay home and relive the 90's where he had solo's that were sloppy and going nowhere

mike comes from the hendrix and srv backround which is all bout improvising on the guitar

if all your doing is trolling or looking for a fight then please log off and go elsewhere cause that's all it looks like your doing here

• Options
    Eilian wrote:

You have not seen a Flight to Mars show, obviously.

You really don't have much evidence to back this up with other than your poor taste. I have no idea where he "rates" among the best. I don't really care. I dare you to listen to the whole Temple of the Dog album, where most tracks where done on one take, and say the same thing. Where is your evidence?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    edited November 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    if you don't like his "boring" solos then stay home and relive the 90's where he had solo's that were sloppy and going nowhere

mike comes from the hendrix and srv backround which is all bout improvising on the guitar

if all your doing is trolling or looking for a fight then please log off and go elsewhere cause that's all it looks like your doing here

It seems like several people in this thread agree with the "trolling", so to me it just seems like a discussion and not one person's negative opinion. I agree that the solos are not as terrific as they used to be. I've thought this for years. I still enjoy the concerts, and still enjoy Mike's playing. I don't mind that Mike improvises every solo, but we can't compare Mike's abilities to Hendrix or SRV.

Pearl Jam has tons of songs without guitar jams, and more and more of them in the recent albums. (Insert - would Led Zeppelin or Van Halen keep their legends of guitar on the bench for 90% of the albums?) People don't need to stop going to shows because they get bored during four songs out of the 30 (Even Flow, Alive, Porch, and Rearviewmirror). RVM is not really a Mike solo, but is easily considered noodling after 1 minute.

As a side note, I don't think we've heard all that Mike can do, I think the band's music as a whole somewhat limits his playing style. For example, Mike's solo in Ain't Talking Bout Love included a lot of Metal soloing and finger tapping. I would like to hear more of that, but PJ's songs don't call for it.

Also, you might not find as much "trolling" if people on this board stop saying Mike is the "Jesus Christ" of guitar playing, or the "Jimi Hendrix of this century", or that Mike is better than Hendrix, Page, Van Halen, SRV, etc....
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    It seems like several people in this thread agree with the "trolling", so to me it just seems like a discussion and not one person's negative opinion. I agree that the solos are not as terrific as they used to be. I've thought this for years. I still enjoy the concerts, and still enjoy Mike's playing. I don't mind that Mike improvises every solo, but we can't compare Mike's abilities to Hendrix or SRV.

As a side note, I don't think we've heard all that Mike can do, I think the band's music as a whole somewhat limits his playing style. For example, Mike's solo in Ain't Talking Bout Love included a lot of Metal soloing and finger tapping. I would like to here more of that, but PJ's songs don't call for it.

mike's abilities are nowhere near hendrix or srv, that wasn't my point. my point was you can hear alot of hendrix, srv and ace from kiss in his solo's. his ssb is hendrix note for note but that still doesn't take away from mike's ability to pull it off and not sound like a hack guitarist.

mikes best years were 94-98, that's just my personal feelings. his evenflow, alive and black solo sound like shit cause he knows his craft with pearl jam and what pearl jam fans want. his cover of voodoo child in a previous post of mine shits on anything his ever done with pj and i can honestly say that.

i would love to hear more of mike's metal work and wish he would make shadow 86 more of a side project instead of a one off thing or create his own metal band side project. he does awesome on black diamond and ain't talking bout love. i saw black diamond live at msg 2 08 and right after it the band did alive and i was more blown away by him and ace trading solo's.

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

As a side note, I don't think we've heard all that Mike can do, I think the band's music as a whole somewhat limits his playing style. For example, Mike's solo in Ain't Talking Bout Love included a lot of Metal soloing and finger tapping. I would like to here more of that, but PJ's songs don't call for it.

mike's abilities are nowhere near hendrix or srv, that wasn't my point. my point was you can hear alot of hendrix, srv and ace from kiss in his solo's. his ssb is hendrix note for note but that still doesn't take away from mike's ability to pull it off and not sound like a hack guitarist. mikes best years were 94-98, that's just my personal feelings. his evenflow, alive and black solo sound like shit cause he knows his craft with pearl jam and what pearl jam fans want. his cover of voodoo child in a previous post of mine shits on anything his ever done with pj and i can honestly say that.

i would love to hear more of mike's metal work and wish he would make shadow 86 more of a side project instead of a one off thing or create his own metal band side project. he does awesome on black diamond and ain't talking bout love. i saw black diamond live at msg 2 08 and right after it the band did alive and i was more blown away by him and ace trading solo's.

With you 100%.
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:

This is a forum. I have expressed an opinion. This is what a forum is for.

Pay particluar attention to how my opinion actually illicited an empathetic response from someone else with a similar opinion. You should note also, that everyone else who disagrees with me has made a joke of it,...Yours is the first confrontational post in this thread.

If this is a typical reaction to a diplomatically expressed opinion that differs from yours, then please log off and go elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Eilian wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

This is a forum. I have expressed an opinion. This is what a forum is for.

Pay particluar attention to how my opinion actually illicited an empathetic response from someone else with a similar opinion. You should note also, that everyone else who disagrees with me has made a joke of it,...Yours is the first confrontational post in this thread.

If this is a typical reaction to a diplomatically expressed opinion that differs from yours, then please log off and go elsewhere.

well sorry for being confrontational. it's how i am and will always be. if you don't like it then ignore me and don't respond back to me simple as that. :)

i didn't make a joke of it cause i respect your different way of thinking and cause i'm not some fanboy that think's pearl jam is the greatest band ever.

when you just blurt things without specific solos or certain songs people will get down your throat very fast and "attack" you. have certain songs to back up you claim and maybe people will accept your different way of thinking. maybe like show a black solo from the early days and one from 2010 and explain why you think all he does is "noodle" these days.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on

• Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Eilian wrote:

You really don't have much evidence to back this up with other than your poor taste. I have no idea where he "rates" among the best. I don't really care. I dare you to listen to the whole Temple of the Dog album, where most tracks where done on one take, and say the same thing. Where is your evidence?

Poor taste? Where's YOUR evidence beyond your unbelievable pretentiousness?

Would I really be on a Pearl Jam forum without being intimately familiar with Temple of the Dog,...haven't I already said about a million times that his studio efforts are AWESOME for the most part?

is anybody else genuinely horrified at how some people on this board cope with different opinions on very subjective matters, regardless of how carefully they're expressed?
  • Options
    Eilian wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Eilian wrote:

Poor taste? Where's YOUR evidence beyond your unbelievable pretentiousness?

Would I really be on a Pearl Jam forum without being intimately familiar with Temple of the Dog,...haven't I already said about a million times that his studio efforts are AWESOME for the most part?

is anybody else genuinely horrified at how some people on this board cope with different opinions on very subjective matters, regardless of how carefully they're expressed?

Don't get down. Hang in there.
  • Options
    Eilian wrote:

Be grateful. Sacrilege was once punishable by DEATH.
  • Options
    [/quote]

well sorry for being confrontational. it's how i am and will always be. if you don't like it then ignore me and don't respond back to me simple as that. :)

i didn't make a joke of it cause i respect your different way of thinking and cause i'm not some fanboy that think's pearl jam is the greatest band ever.

when you just blurt things without specific solos or certain songs people will get down your throat very fast and "attack" you. have certain songs to back up you claim and maybe people will accept your different way of thinking. maybe like show a black solo from the early days and one from 2010 and explain why you think all he does is "noodle" these days.[/quote]

I did mention certain songs, the solos of which bother me live.

Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Why Go (Not that he noodles forever, just that the recorded take is perfect)
    Immortality (I found this painful live)

And i certainly never said that ALL he does is noodle. I've sufficiently sucked his dick for his contribution to the records to avoid the hostility, or at least i thought i had.
  • Options
    Eilian wrote:

I did mention certain songs, the solos of which bother me live.

Yellow Ledbetter
    Even Flow
    Why Go (Not that he noodles forever, just that the recorded take is perfect)
    Immortality (I found this painful live)

And i certainly never said that ALL he does is noodle. I've sufficiently sucked his dick for his contribution to the records to avoid the hostility, or at least i thought i had.
    why don't you like the way he improvises live and just like the studio work. his studio work is so boring it holds him back majorly

if he just played the studio way it be boring live and limit his freedom to show off his guitar skills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZvTf3M1YM

look at how hes able to express his guitar skills on this song and keep up with the rest of the blues artist