Options

Who Ever Said

Comments

• Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    End of Who ever said reminds me of the end of Habit, but shorter.  Hearing this song after reading so many reviews, the song was completely different than what I expected.  I hear, slightly, the riff from Sad in the opening.  This one is a Binaural song to me, but mixed and sounding well.  That's the difference.

As for Pendulum - Agree, great song, great opener and unfortunately, my only LB-tour show was about the only show they didn't open with it.  I'm a big fab of Alright and Retrograde for the same reasons I'm a fan of Pendulum. 

I sort of see what he sees in Quick Escape.  Mike's solo.  In the first part, it's like if someone said to Mike, play your tricks, and he did them all at once.  Then, after that burst of tricks and Jeff weighs in, it totally changes and is very Sabbath-like and greatness.  I don't dislike that solo but I thought solos in songs like Severed Hand were more thought out.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    A non-guitarist commenting on a solo is hilarious...
    Are you guitarist enough to e.g. comment on professional artists solos or riffs?
    Yes!  I've been playing for 35 years.  Proud owner of a new Fender strat, a Gibson LP and my first guitar....a fucking Westone Corsair!
    Do my two Martins and Les Paul qualify my opinion at all?
    You’re definitely qualified.  Throw us up some links to your recordings so we can hear a proper non-noodling guitar solo. 
    Think you missed the point of the question - it was rhetorical, because whether I play or not is entirely besides the point.

Feel free to rip my band efforts apart though, if you think it'll make McCready's QE noodling sound more thoughtful...

So listened and I think it sounds pretty good. 

So is the guitar better on your tracks or Quick Escape?  Be honest. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Are you guitarist enough to e.g. comment on professional artists solos or riffs?
    Yes!  I've been playing for 35 years.  Proud owner of a new Fender strat, a Gibson LP and my first guitar....a fucking Westone Corsair!
    You’re definitely qualified.  Throw us up some links to your recordings so we can hear a proper non-noodling guitar solo. 
    Think you missed the point of the question - it was rhetorical, because whether I play or not is entirely besides the point.

Feel free to rip my band efforts apart though, if you think it'll make McCready's QE noodling sound more thoughtful...

So listened and I think it sounds pretty good. 

So is the guitar better on your tracks or Quick Escape?  Be honest. 
    Thank you very much.

Forget whether the guitars serve the song better on my tracks than the end solo on Quick Escape does, but compare it to other McCready efforts. He can produce more thoughtful, more melodic and interesting solos than this, and Quick Escape in particular deserves better.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

Disagree...being able to play definitely provides insight that could be used to shape an opinion.

That your opinion just happens to be wrong is a separate argument.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    These discussions that come up remind me a lot of a political discussion.  No one is ever going to change anyone’s mind. 

However I personally have an issue with someone critiquing the quality of someone’s guitar playing or the level of effort they put into something.  I think it’s fine to say you’re not happy with Mike’s style or you don’t like the album because it didn’t click with you.  But to criticize the quality or effort comes off as pretty pompous and implies that you’re personally capable of much better. My two cents. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

Disagree...being able to play definitely provides insight that could be used to shape an opinion.

I'm sorry I have the wrong opinion.

I'm also sorry that Quick Escape (a really cool jam) never got the climax it deserved.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    These discussions that come up remind me a lot of a political discussion.  No one is ever going to change anyone’s mind. 

However I personally have an issue with someone critiquing the quality of someone’s guitar playing or the level of effort they put into something.  I think it’s fine to say you’re not happy with Mike’s style or you don’t like the album because it didn’t click with you.  But to criticize the quality or effort comes off as pretty pompous and implies that you’re personally capable of much better. My two cents. 
    No no. Not listening and misrepresenting someone's point comes off as pretty pompous. Forget whether I can produce better, more thoughtful and melodic solos (Must be the third time I've typed that) MCCREADY can and has produced better and Quick Escape is a cool tune which deserves something which doesn't sound like a one-take improv.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,376
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:

No no. Not listening and misrepresenting someone's point comes off as pretty pompous. Forget whether I can produce better, more thoughtful and melodic solos (Must be the third time I've typed that) MCCREADY can and has produced better and Quick Escape is a cool tune which deserves something which doesn't sound like a one-take improv.
    I disagree. Great solo
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

I'm also sorry that Quick Escape (a really cool jam) never got the climax it deserved.
    Not the wrong opinion, but clearly a minority opinion.  Most people posting have loved it and said it’s their favorite on the album.  You can’t please all the people all the time. I think the band knows that and they put out a record that most of us are ecstatic over.  Sure you can nit pick it but you’re really letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. So much to love about these songs.  😀

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

Not the wrong opinion, but clearly a minority opinion.  Most people posting have loved it and said it’s their favorite on the album.  You can’t please all the people all the time. I think the band knows that and they put out a record that most of us are ecstatic over.  Sure you can nit pick it but you’re really letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. So much to love about these songs.  😀
    My having a minority opinion seems to be the norm, generally speaking.

On here however, anything even bordering on critical, no-matter how specific or well intentioned, is "wrong" (See above)

I just want them to be the best they can be (which is the greatest band in the world) and when they fall short through what seem like intentionally bad artistic choices it bums me out.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

On here however, anything even bordering on critical, no-matter how specific or well intentioned, is "wrong" (See above)

I just want them to be the best they can be (which is the greatest band in the world) and when they fall short through what seem like intentionally bad artistic choices it bums me out.
    And we want your band to be the best it can be.  Please go practice.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

It’s only your opinion that they fell short.  It is my opinion that they knocked it out of the park and this is the best produced album in decades.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

They’re almost 30 years into this thing.  To suggest they fell “short” with this album is ridiculous. For a band to stick together this long and put out an album of this quality at this stage of their career is amazing. 

• Options
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

It’s only your opinion that they fell short.  It is my opinion that they knocked it out of the park and this is the best produced album in decades.
    What a fatuous thing to say. Of course it's my opinion. I wouldn't be expressing yours, would I?

Chuffed you think otherwise.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

And we want your band to be the best it can be.  Please go practice.
    No need for the not-so thinly veiled insults, Gern.
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,164
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

It’s not your opinion, it’s your delivery. Self awareness helps.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

What a fatuous thing to say. Of course it's my opinion. I wouldn't be expressing yours, would I?

You assume they weren’t the best they can be which is really self absorbed, like you are some expert on the subject matter. 
  • Options
    spankyMP said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

It’s not your opinion, it’s your delivery. Self awareness helps.
    Ironic you should lecture me about awareness - He straight up said I have the "wrong" opinion.

I've been really positive about the tune which I think doesn't get the solo it deserves. I've also, ad nauseam, praised McCready for being able to produce superb solo contributions to records - I even said I thought his SBWM solo fit perfectly.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

You assume they weren’t the best they can be which is really self absorbed, like you are some expert on the subject matter. 
    I'm pretty well acquainted with their catalogue, yeah. They can be better.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

Well since you’re so acquainted with their catalog, you should know that they’re over 20 years past their peak of creativity and you should lower your expectations. This is a great record for a band 30 years in. No, they can’t be better. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

Well since you’re so acquainted with their catalog, you should know that they’re over 20 years past their peak of creativity and you should lower your expectations. This is a great record for a band 30 years in. No, they can’t be better. 
    Talk like this can get you lynched by the Kool-Aid brigade. Careful.

I think there are some real, missed opportunities on this record though. Quick Escape, for instance, would happily sit on a best of if the end solo made sense.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

I think there are some real, missed opportunities on this record though. Quick Escape, for instance, would happily sit on a best of if the end solo made sense.
    Can you tell us again how you feel about McCready’s solo at the end of Quick Escape?  I still don’t understand.  Please, I really need your opinion again on this.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Ah the KoolAid brigade. It all makes sense now. 
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:

Can you tell us again how you feel about McCready’s solo at the end of Quick Escape?  I still don’t understand.  Please, I really need your opinion again on this.
    Just trying to drive home the positive place it's coming from, brother.

It's been (perhaps intentionally) misconstrued quite a number of times.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    mace1229 said:
    Eilian said:
    I mean I don’t hear it but there nothing about this album that’s recycled to me
    Have Parting Ways and Far Behind in mind when you listen to Come Then Goes - I do like the overall package of that song, though.
    Have almost every 2/3 descending chord pattern-based rocker they've churned out when you listen to Never Destination or Take the Long Way.

There's been a bunch of stuff since Binaural onwards which baffles me - I guess I just don't get why a band capable of Given to Fly would find the basic idea of SBWM, or Who Ever Said, or Never Destination interesting enough to bother making a full song from.

And when Given to Fly came out all anyone could say was it was a ripoff of Going to California. We are 60+ years into rock and roll. There is not much out there left to do without it sounding familiar to you. 

It’s true that the E chord is played throughout the album. But to say, hey this sounds like this because they played that E chord like this is kinda lazy if you ask me. 
    Even Black was originally called E Ballad. They’ve been ripping themselves off all along!
    Not for you cough cough
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Seems like he is not a fan of live noodling either. 

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/3290196#Comment_3290196
  • Options
    PJNB said:

"He is not a fan"

Just talk to me directly, dude. I'll happily tell you what I think.
  • Options
    Is noodling the new gutted?  😀

• Options
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:

"He is not a fan"

Just talk to me directly, dude. I'll happily tell you what I think.
    Over and over and over again. 
  • Options
    And he’s not a fan of River Cross.  Troll much?
    Eilian said:
    I'm the only one who thinks that kalimba completely ruins it, then?