Options

Who Ever Said

Comments

• Options
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

I don’t mean to get all inside baseball, but are you a musician? I ask because of your “lazy noodling” comment. 
    Of some description, yeah.
    You really think lazy noodling would be put in this record?
    It does it's best to ruin Quick Escape.

That end solo sounds like a one-take improv. It's horrible.
    Could you play it on the guitar?
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840
    That end solo is awesome. And it’s mixed in your face. Jeff’s Vaseline is higher in the mix. Matt’s drums. Fuckin awesome. Cmon 
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

I don’t mean to get all inside baseball, but are you a musician? I ask because of your “lazy noodling” comment. 

What are you, 12?

I'm not a lead guitarist. 
  • Options
    Anyway back I topic. I love how I thought I had Who Ever said figures out after the first two min. Boy was I wrong. That middle section is great. Love the lack of traditional structure 
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Then how do you make generalizations about it if you have no idea the degree of difficulty it took?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    A non-guitarist commenting on a solo is hilarious...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 906
    Great opener too, if they didn’t over do it in 2013 it would be more highly regarded 
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:

What are you, 12?

Then how do you make generalizations about it if you have no idea the degree of difficulty it took?
    Are you being serious?

I'm acutely aware of my limitations as a guitarist. And am equally aware of how difficult technical shredding is. I also understand melody, and McCready's improvs are all too often devoid of it. Solos shouldn't be just noodley fret-wanking that goes nowhere, they should elevate the song with a melody of their own.

Forget me, MCCREADY is capable of serving that song better (His solo in SBWM is both technical and serves the section it's played over perfectly) - perhaps he just needs to be reined in more consistently by a producer. 
  • Options
    Commenting negatively, you mean?

If I had said it was the best solo I'd ever heard, my not being a lead guitarist wouldn't have devalued my opinion at all, would it?
  • Options
    Eilian said:

If I had said it was the best solo I'd ever heard, my not being a lead guitarist wouldn't have devalued my opinion at all, would it?
    actually yes

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Eilian said:

actually yes
    Then at least you're consistently illogical.
  • Options
    No offense, but anyone referring to that ending of QE as lazy has literally no idea what they are talking about. Good day. 
  • Options
    No offense, but anyone referring to that ending of QE as lazy has literally no idea what they are talking about. Good day. 
    None taken.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    Are you guitarist enough to e.g. comment on professional artists solos or riffs?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Are you guitarist enough to e.g. comment on professional artists solos or riffs?
    Yes!  I've been playing for 35 years.  Proud owner of a new Fender strat, a Gibson LP and my first guitar....a fucking Westone Corsair!

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    Yes!  I've been playing for 35 years.  Proud owner of a new Fender strat, a Gibson LP and my first guitar....a fucking Westone Corsair!

A non-Hagström owner commenting on guitar playing is hilarious...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

I also have a small acoustic guitar (a Global) that probably retailed for $50 that brings me great joy....except for the buzzing on the third fret

• Options
    This album has some great Eddie riffs and vocal hooks.

I can picture Ed screwing around with his guitar and coming up with some of these.  I would love to hear from him about that process....how long does it take to put together a song like Never Destination?  

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    pendulum is still my favorite song from the last 3 albums. I can’t even explain why. I just fuckin love it 
    It’s in my top 5 PJ songs of all time.  Especially live as an opener 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Anyway back I topic. I love how I thought I had Who Ever said figures out after the first two min. Boy was I wrong. That middle section is great. Love the lack of traditional structure 
    Agreed. It’s an incredible song.  Great album opener.  I just thought the very beginning reminded me of Far Behind... and that’s a good thing. 
  • Options

I think I love you a little bit.
  • Options
    Do my two Martins and Les Paul qualify my opinion at all?
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Maybe
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Eilian said:
    Maybe
    Genuinely fascinating. 

They shouldn't.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    Eilian said:
    I mean I don’t hear it but there nothing about this album that’s recycled to me
    Have Parting Ways and Far Behind in mind when you listen to Come Then Goes - I do like the overall package of that song, though.
    Have almost every 2/3 descending chord pattern-based rocker they've churned out when you listen to Never Destination or Take the Long Way.

There's been a bunch of stuff since Binaural onwards which baffles me - I guess I just don't get why a band capable of Given to Fly would find the basic idea of SBWM, or Who Ever Said, or Never Destination interesting enough to bother making a full song from.

And when Given to Fly came out all anyone could say was it was a ripoff of Going to California. We are 60+ years into rock and roll. There is not much out there left to do without it sounding familiar to you. 

It’s true that the E chord is played throughout the album. But to say, hey this sounds like this because they played that E chord like this is kinda lazy if you ask me. 
    Even Black was originally called E Ballad. They’ve been ripping themselves off all along!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,472
    Eilian said:
    You’re definitely qualified.  Throw us up some links to your recordings so we can hear a proper non-noodling guitar solo. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

I'm actually gutted to hear so many recycled ideas.
    Gutted? Come on, dude. Man-up a little. 
    Man-up?

I have high expectations of this lot - I've had semi-religious experiences to their music and get stupidly excited for new releases.

So much of this songwriting feels dialled in to me, and the bits that don't are spoiled by odd production choices or McCready's lazy noodling, so yeah - I'm gutted.
    Well if you’re gutted by Gigaton, then you must have clinically depressed by Avocado, Backspacer, and Lightning Bolt. 
    In parts, yeah. Really don't like the garage-band gear they sometimes slip into, so stuff like Gonna See My Friend from such a talented bunch of musicians bums me out. That said, I honestly think the high spots of both Backspacer and Lightning Bolt trump 90% of this album.
    I think the complete opposite. I can’t even think of any “high spots” on BS or LB. But to each their own I guess. 
    I only ever listen to LB when I’m on a long drive and there’s no radio and I realize 6 years later I never took it out of my car CD player to download it into my computer/phone. It gets about 1 listen a year.
    And that’s a true story, I’ve never taken it out of my car.
    But I do enjoy 3 or 4 songs off BS.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,261
    Who Ever Said...it mattered if one person on here doesn't like this song?
    Who Ever Said...a song can't have similar sounds that remind you of other songs?
    Who Ever Said...opinions really matter to any beyond the person who shares it?
    Who Ever Said...is a great damn song and I love the atypical structure.

Remember when STBC ripped off Husker Du? Remember when No Code was considered a lazy album that lacked intensity? Remember when Binaural depressed the hell out of everyone and the band was breaking up (e.g. Parting Ways)?

I love these guys. Great album. Ed's vocals and lyrics are 10x more consistent and poignant than they have been since Self Titled.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    You’re definitely qualified.  Throw us up some links to your recordings so we can hear a proper non-noodling guitar solo. 
    Think you missed the point of the question - it was rhetorical, because whether I play or not is entirely besides the point.

Feel free to rip my band efforts apart though, if you think it'll make McCready's QE noodling sound more thoughtful...

• Options
    This and 7:00 are tied for my favorite right now. I think this songs taking the edge over 7:00 actually. Just a good, fun song