Options

Who Ever Said

Comments

• Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Seems like he is not a fan of live noodling either. 

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/3290196#Comment_3290196
    "He is not a fan"

Just talk to me directly, dude. I'll happily tell you what I think.
    Over and over and over again. 
    It's a discussion board, and I've been responding to people who have engaged with me, even insulted me.

The sorts of people you were perhaps looking to send my way when you rifled through my post history and "othered" me with your, "He is not..." move.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    And he’s not a fan of River Cross.  Troll much?
    Eilian said:
    I'm the only one who thinks that kalimba completely ruins it, then?

Aw c'mon.

I'm a troll? I've been pretty balanced.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    Can we quit ruining this thread about the new song? Someone doesn't like it, expressed their opinion and people can't seem to let it go. Who cares. No one is going to change someone else's opinion.

Overall, this is the most positive reviews I've seen of a new PJ album since I've been on these boards and so far no one has called it crap or dad rock. Of course it's not Ten or Vs., but that doesn't mean it isn't a good album.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,837
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

WhAt is your top three on this album?
    Today i m going: comes then goes (fun to play on guitar), never destination  (got that black, red, yellow vibe) and quick escape. 
    I cant believe how well I have connected to this album already.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,737
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:

"He is not a fan"

It's a discussion board, and I've been responding to people who have engaged with me, even insulted me.

The sorts of people you were perhaps looking to send my way when you rifled through my post history and "othered" me with your, "He is not..." move.
    It's odd that you would not have clued in to the fact that me posting that shows you have a history of not liking the style of guitar playing at the end of Who Ever Said. That actually supports your claim you are not a troll and just are not a fan. Instead you took the paranoid route that I did it to send people after you. You are entitled to your opinion it is just the delivery that needs some work in my opinion. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

Today i m going: comes then goes (fun to play on guitar), never destination  (got that black, red, yellow vibe) and quick escape. 

Think Dance of the Clairvoyants is really great start to finish, so that's taking my number one spot at the mo.
    Quick Escape is, up to the last minute, a really cool jam, so that's my number two
    And at three, Retrograde is really quite pretty, but I'm not sold on all the ambient noise at the climax - reckon this might sound better live where they can't necessarily replicate that kind of stuff.

That's cool that it resonates with you.
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,105
    Alive is a recycled MLB song that Stone wrote, and has been accused of being a KISS ripoff. 

Well, the solo is a blatant KISS ripoff :)
    And the KISS solo is a rip-off of The Doors Five To One 😉
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:

"He is not a fan"

It's odd that you would not have clued in to the fact that me posting that shows you have a history of not liking the style of guitar playing at the end of Who Ever Said. That actually supports your claim you are not a troll and just are not a fan. Instead you took the paranoid route that I did it to send people after you. You are entitled to your opinion it is just the delivery that needs some work in my opinion. 
    And I have no idea how my delivery, given how balanced I've been, could be modified to satisfy you.

Whether you intended to rally support against me or not, that's precisely the effect it had - the very next post was from someone else who'd gone rifling through my history to call me a troll. 
  • Options
    whoever said this board isn't entertaining?  
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:

"He is not a fan"

And I have no idea how my delivery, given how balanced I've been, could be modified to satisfy you.

Whether you intended to rally support against me or not, that's precisely the effect it had - the very next post was from someone else who'd gone rifling through my history to call me a troll. 
    Uh... your pompous and condescending comments about Mike “noodling” and being “lazy” moved people to respond.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:

"He is not a fan"

Uh... your pompous and condescending comments about Mike “noodling” and being “lazy” moved people to respond.  
    Nothing pompous or condescending about my using either of those words in the context of my comments. He's capable of more thoughtful, smarter playing. I'm beginning to think that you're actually trying to troll me now.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    People getting offended another fan has opinions on the new songs they don't agree with.

Yeah. Sounds reasonable. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

Think Dance of the Clairvoyants is really great start to finish, so that's taking my number one spot at the mo.
    Quick Escape is, up to the last minute, a really cool jam, so that's my number two
    And at three, Retrograde is really quite pretty, but I'm not sold on all the ambient noise at the climax - reckon this might sound better live where they can't necessarily replicate that kind of stuff.

Dance has really really grown on me.  I hated it when it first came out but now I am really enjoying it.  Retrograde is awesome, I think mike is playing a 12 string on that one (?).  I could see that one jamming out for awhile live.  
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,737
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

Dance has really really grown on me.  I hated it when it first came out but now I am really enjoying it.  Retrograde is awesome, I think mike is playing a 12 string on that one (?).  I could see that one jamming out for awhile live.  
    It would be cool to see Retrograde get the Immortality treatment like you said with a nice extension on the end. 

With regards to Who Ever Said it has really jumped up spots for me on this album. Really loving it as an opener and look forward to seeing what they do with it live. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

Dance is great - a properly successful experiment. I love how much of a departure from the norm it is. I love that they must still get enthused about being playful with new sounds to produce something like that. Curious to see whether they keep all the electronic elements live.

Generally prefer they stick tighter to structure over extended jams, but yeah, Retrograde is a very pretty guitar part and melody. Looking forward to it live.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

Dance is great - a properly successful experiment. I love how much of a departure from the norm it is. I love that they must still get enthused about being playful with new sounds to produce something like that. Curious to see whether they keep all the electronic elements live.

Generally prefer they stick tighter to structure over extended jams, but yeah, Retrograde is a very pretty guitar part and melody. Looking forward to it live.
    I've played guitar for 24 years (yikes) but by no means can I play a lick of lead lol.  So my question to you is, take porch for instance.  Do you like how mike plays the solo/jam part now (to me it seems like he is just trying to hit as many notes as possible in a short amount of time) or like in 2006 when the jam kind of went somewhere.
    examples:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQe65JLjNMY  east rutherford, 2006 night 2.  Could be my favorite jam ever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZVrPGPe5Tg krakow, 2018

Look forward to your thoughts.
    Mike 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

I've played guitar for 24 years (yikes) but by no means can I play a lick of lead lol.  So my question to you is, take porch for instance.  Do you like how mike plays the solo/jam part now (to me it seems like he is just trying to hit as many notes as possible in a short amount of time) or like in 2006 when the jam kind of went somewhere.
    examples:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQe65JLjNMY  east rutherford, 2006 night 2.  Could be my favorite jam ever.

Mike 
    Yo - If they must do extended jams, I'd always rather they go somewhere, so yeah, I'd take the 2006 one of the two. But truth be told, I don't think any of the songs they stretch out into jams benefit from it. I think they all sound better the more focussed they are. Even though I love so many of McCready's recorded contributions as much as I do, I don't think he's technical enough to consistently pull off live improvs - like, he's not a virtuoso - he's not Paul Gilbert, or even Nuno Bettencourt.

I get that people love it when he goes off on one for five minutes, but I'd rather they squeeze another song into the set list instead.

Can't have it all though, eh. I'll still be fanboying like lunatic when the Hyde Park gig finally happens.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

examples:

Mike 
    Yo - If they must do extended jams, I'd always rather they go somewhere, so yeah, I'd take the 2006 one of the two. But truth be told, I don't think any of the songs they stretch out into jams benefit from it. I think they all sound better the more focussed they are. Even though I love so many of McCready's recorded contributions as much as I do, I don't think he's technical enough to consistently pull off live improvs - like, he's not a virtuoso - he's not Paul Gilbert, or even Nuno Bettencourt.

I get that people love it when he goes off on one for five minutes, but I'd rather they squeeze another song into the set list instead.

Can't have it all though, eh. I'll still be fanboying like lunatic when the Hyde Park gig finally happens.
    I do agree with you that he isn't technical enough to pull off improvs.  Would I be correct in saying that most of his solos are in the "blues box"?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

examples:

Mike 

I do agree with you that he isn't technical enough to pull off improvs.  Would I be correct in saying that most of his solos are in the "blues box"?
    Yeah, I think that's fair. Seems to be where he's more comfortable. That said, gotta give him his dues - he's pulling out some new techniques I don't think he's ever done on record before on this one - the solo in SBWM is pretty tight. And some of the ballad solos he's done, right up to Sirens are gorgeous.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

examples:

Mike 

Yeah, I think that's fair. Seems to be where he's more comfortable. That said, gotta give him his dues - he's pulling out some new techniques I don't think he's ever done on record before on this one - the solo in SBWM is pretty tight. And some of the ballad solos he's done, right up to Sirens are gorgeous.
    Love the solo in sbwm!!!!  I don't enjoy the song but his solos in nais are quite impressive.  
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    Eilian said:
    on2legs said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:
    Eilian said:
    PJNB said:

"He is not a fan"

Nothing pompous or condescending about my using either of those words in the context of my comments. He's capable of more thoughtful, smarter playing. I'm beginning to think that you're actually trying to troll me now.
    I’m the guy who said I liked your music.  Definitely not trolling you.  

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    I am GUTTED by all the NOODLING. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

examples:

Mike 

Love the solo in sbwm!!!!  I don't enjoy the song but his solos in nais are quite impressive.  
    For sure. They serve the song perfectly. He doesn't really stray on that one live too much either. Seen it live a few times and it's always been great.
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

I agree with you on the kalimba, I think it’s distracting from the beautiful organ and Ed’s voice. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

examples:

Mike 

For sure. They serve the song perfectly. He doesn't really stray on that one live too much either. Seen it live a few times and it's always been great.
    When did you see SBWM live?  LOL
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

examples:

Mike 

I haven't. I was responding to, "his solos in nais are quite impressive."

If you are intent on burning so much fuel being a dick, at least be accurate.
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

I agree with you on the kalimba, I think it’s distracting from the beautiful organ and Ed’s voice. 
    Thank you. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Eilian said:
    vedpunk said:
    Eilian said:

Aw c'mon.

examples:

Mike 

I haven't. I was responding to, "his solos in nais are quite impressive."

If you are intent on burning so much fuel being a dick, at least be accurate.
    Sorry Eilean
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    alexross42alexross42 Posts: 359
    edited March 2020
    Loving this song, how it keeps shifting and diverging but then comes back to the chorus and of course the final 2 minutes which lift it even higher.
    Can anyone else hear a buried vocal at the 0:24 mark?
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    @Eilian just listened to this song again and I finally understand what you are talking about with mike s solo.  I actually agree with you.  Mike definitely could have elevated this solo.  (Maybe he will live)