Options

Who Ever Said

The beginning (the actual song, not the intro) reminds me of Far Behind. Anyone else hear it? siap 

Comments

• Options
    I don't want to think, I wanna feel....

2.5.95 Seattle
    9.16.96 Seattle
    7.18.98 Portland
    7.21.98 Seattle
    7.22.98 Seattle
    10.30.99 Mountain View, CA
    10.31.99 Mountain View, CA
    5.10.00 Bellingham, WA
    11.2.00 Portland, WA
    11.3.00 Boise, ID
    11.5.00 Seattle, WA
    11.6.00 Seattle, WA
    10.22.21 Seattle, WA
    9.1.05 George, WA
    7.6.06 Las Vegas, NV
    7.22.06 George, WA
    7.23.06 George, WA
    6.28.08 Mansfield, MA
    9.21.09 Seattle, WA
    9.22.09 Seattle, WA
    11.29.13 Portland, OR
    12.6.13 Seattle, WA
    8.8.18 Seattle, WA
    8.10.18 Seattle,WA
  • Options
    EilianEilian Posts: 276
    Definitely. 

I'm actually gutted to hear so many recycled ideas.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    edited March 2020
    I mean I don’t hear it but there nothing about this album that’s recycled to me
  • Options
    Have Parting Ways and Far Behind in mind when you listen to Come Then Goes - I do like the overall package of that song, though.
    Have almost every 2/3 descending chord pattern-based rocker they've churned out when you listen to Never Destination or Take the Long Way.

There's been a bunch of stuff since Binaural onwards which baffles me - I guess I just don't get why a band capable of Given to Fly would find the basic idea of SBWM, or Who Ever Said, or Never Destination interesting enough to bother making a full song from.

• Options
    Eilian said:
    Have Parting Ways and Far Behind in mind when you listen to Come Then Goes - I do like the overall package of that song, though.
    Have almost every 2/3 descending chord pattern-based rocker they've churned out when you listen to Never Destination or Take the Long Way.

There's been a bunch of stuff since Binaural onwards which baffles me - I guess I just don't get why a band capable of Given to Fly would find the basic idea of SBWM, or Who Ever Said, or Never Destination interesting enough to bother making a full song from.

And when Given to Fly came out all anyone could say was it was a ripoff of Going to California. We are 60+ years into rock and roll. There is not much out there left to do without it sounding familiar to you. 

It’s true that the E chord is played throughout the album. But to say, hey this sounds like this because they played that E chord like this is kinda lazy if you ask me. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    And when Given to Fly came out all anyone could say was it was a ripoff of Going to California. We are 60+ years into rock and roll. There is not much out there left to do without it sounding familiar to you. 

It’s true that the E chord is played throughout the album. But to say, hey this sounds like this because they played that E chord like this is kinda lazy if you ask me. 
    I'm not talking about the use of individual chords, clearly. I'm talking about creativity and instrumental interplay - there's an infinity of musical possibilities left... always will be, by definition. Given to Fly is tight and precise and everyone's parts are thought about. There's a lot of stuff on this effort which wastes what the individual members are capable of.

Imagine being in the room when Stone first played the Alive riff, or when McCready first played the Given to Fly intro, or when Eddie first played Just Breathe for that matter. Then imagine being in that same room and hearing the beginning of Who Ever Said or Never Destination or Take the Long Way for the first time.

I don't get why, having experienced the first examples, the second lot of song ideas aren't immediate B-sides.
  • Options
    You are comparing songs you’ve heard for a day or two to Alive, GTF, and Just Breathe. Not very fair. 
    Alive is a recycled MLB song that Stone wrote, and has been accused of being a KISS ripoff. 
    Just Breathe is a recycled song from the ITW soundtrack. 
    GTF was accused of being a straight up Zeppelin ripoff. 
    That is what people were saying about them when they appeared. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    Alive is a recycled MLB song that Stone wrote, and has been accused of being a KISS ripoff. 

Well, the solo is a blatant KISS ripoff :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    You are comparing songs you’ve heard for a day or two to Alive, GTF, and Just Breathe. Not very fair. 
    Just Breathe is a recycled song from the ITW soundtrack. 
    GTF was accused of being a straight up Zeppelin ripoff. 
    That is what people were saying about them when they appeared. 
    Are they, or are they not more interesting instrumental parts?

You get what I'm saying - If I were in that band, most of these new instrumental parts wouldn't pique my interest enough to bother making full songs out of them. And if I had to, I certainly wouldn't want all three guitars doing essentially the same thing like they seem to be doing on SBWM, Never Destination etc.
  • Options
    My advice then would be to wear some headphones listening to this. I don’t think their doing the same thing on any songs. Mike is doing weird E-bow textures in Who Ever Said, according to that article. Stone is doing fuzzed out guitar on Take the Long Way. Read that article from Variety. It’s plain as day that they were all about layering and coming up with interesting parts for this record.
    Josh also talks about trying to add a lot to songs and it didn’t feel right, like on Comes Then Goes. 

• Options
    My advice then would be to wear some headphones listening to this. I don’t think their doing the same thing on any songs. Mike is doing weird E-bow textures in Who Ever Said, according to that article. Stone is doing fuzzed out guitar on Take the Long Way. Read that article from Variety. It’s plain as day that they were all about layering and coming up with interesting parts for this record.
    Josh also talks about trying to add a lot to songs and it didn’t feel right, like on Comes Then Goes. 

Comes then Goes works just fine stripped back.

I've listened through a bunch of times, ONLY through headphones, and where some people are hearing texture, I'm hearing mush. And WAY too much ambient, auxiliary stuff overwhelming the mix in places.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

Gutted? Come on, dude. Man-up a little. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

Man-up?

I have high expectations of this lot - I've had semi-religious experiences to their music and get stupidly excited for new releases.

So much of this songwriting feels dialled in to me, and the bits that don't are spoiled by odd production choices or McCready's lazy noodling, so yeah - I'm gutted.
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,235
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

#gigagutted
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    CO278952 said:
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

#gigagutted
    LOL - If I had any social media accounts, that'd be my new status.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 902
    CO278952 said:
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

#gigagutted
    Lololololol. My gutting is in retrograde 
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pearl-jams-gigaton-angry-hopeful-151848940.html   is from USA today and while giving GT a raving revue gives ALL credit for writing and recording to Ed.  I hear a lot of rehash but that's not all bad. I mean you can't write and record for 30 years without sounding like yourself occasionally.  I hear some "into the wild" towards the end that I could do without. But of course I bought it and I will try to learn every word before they come back around.  I'm afraid I'll have more than enough time for that
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Eilian said:
    CO278952 said:
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

#gigagutted
    LOL - If I had any social media accounts, that'd be my new status.
    I don’t mean to get all inside baseball, but are you a musician? I ask because of your “lazy noodling” comment. 
  • Options

I don’t mean to get all inside baseball, but are you a musician? I ask because of your “lazy noodling” comment. 
    Of some description, yeah.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

Man-up?

I have high expectations of this lot - I've had semi-religious experiences to their music and get stupidly excited for new releases.

So much of this songwriting feels dialled in to me, and the bits that don't are spoiled by odd production choices or McCready's lazy noodling, so yeah - I'm gutted.
    Well if you’re gutted by Gigaton, then you must have clinically depressed by Avocado, Backspacer, and Lightning Bolt. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Eilian said:

You really think lazy noodling would be put in this record?
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

Man-up?

Well if you’re gutted by Gigaton, then you must have clinically depressed by Avocado, Backspacer, and Lightning Bolt. 
    In parts, yeah. Really don't like the garage-band gear they sometimes slip into, so stuff like Gonna See My Friend from such a talented bunch of musicians bums me out. That said, I honestly think the high spots of both Backspacer and Lightning Bolt trump 90% of this album.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    pendulum is still my favorite song from the last 3 albums. I can’t even explain why. I just fuckin love it 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    pendulum is still my favorite song from the last 3 albums. I can’t even explain why. I just fuckin love it 
    Pendulum is beautiful.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    Definitely. 

Man-up?

In parts, yeah. Really don't like the garage-band gear they sometimes slip into, so stuff like Gonna See My Friend from such a talented bunch of musicians bums me out. That said, I honestly think the high spots of both Backspacer and Lightning Bolt trump 90% of this album.
    I think the complete opposite. I can’t even think of any “high spots” on BS or LB. But to each their own I guess. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Eilian said:

You really think lazy noodling would be put in this record?
    It does it's best to ruin Quick Escape.

That end solo sounds like a one-take improv. It's horrible.
  • Options

I think the complete opposite. I can’t even think of any “high spots” on BS or LB. But to each their own I guess. 
    No high spots at all? I wouldn't say they're brilliant start to finish either, but Force of Nature, Just Breathe, Pendulum?

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 902
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yes, fantastic song
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    KN219077 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Yes, fantastic song
    So good.