Spring Tour Postponed - Letter from the Band

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    edited March 2020
    Administrations fuck up the response to major issues all the time, this isn't new. Who cares if they (Ed and PJ) mentioned what is the truth right now. Are you the same people who defended the lack of response to Katrina? There are definitive steps and actions that can be taken prior to an all out pandemic. While the health of the stock market is important, it shouldn't be more important than the actual health of real people. This admin seems to be focusing on the effect instead of the cause and hoping it all just goes away when the weather warms up. Fucking stupid.

This is terrible for everyone. It's not like this isn't a huge hit financially for Pearl Jam. Months of planning, logistics and labor involved to get this tour up and now, all for naught. Sure, they can probably eat the cost better than a lot of their fan base, but there is an impact.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • MC185899MC185899 Posts: 76
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Not surprising but quite telling that so many attacking this decision are coming at it from the "HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT OUR GOVERNMENT! YOU MUST WATCH CNN!" angle. It's a default position for too many nowadays. Absolute blindness that they too are guilty of making this a political issue.
    No Jimmy.  The Band(er...Eddie) made this a political issue.  And for no reason.  This administration stopped travel with China months ago when they were roundly mocked for it. This probably saved many lives in the process.  There is no playbook for an outbreak like this.   I think our government has done pretty well considering all the variables involved.   
    And you are free to think that. They are free to watch the bizarre statements our President continues to make and conclude exactly what was stated in the letter. It was a political issue long before yesterday and immediately rushing in to defend your tribe contributes to that. 
    I don’t think it was political(and never should have been political).  Nothing was going to stop this thing from spreading as long as people were traveling all over the world on planes, cruises etc....  The political party in charge wasn’t going to change any of that.  Not to mention that China was slow to report the truth.  This thing could have been here months ago for all we know.  But blame our politicians for that.  Don’t blame China for trying to keep it under wraps.  👍🏻 
    If you don't think this was political before yesterday then you either haven't been paying attention or are simply not being honest. Again, defending your tribe from any and all criticisms contributes to politicization. 
    It definitely IS political.  It just didn’t need to be.  Politicizing it doesn’t help make anyone safer.  We should all be coming together to help get through it.  Not sniping at the President in order to score political points.  
    And the President should be leading us in that task, which is the job he was elected to do. What's on his mind this morning? Does this sound like a man interested in coming together?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237340894610759680
    It looks like he’s in “business as usual” mode.  The entire virus team had a press conference yesterday.  They are doing them more frequently, as well.  I’m not sure what you want?  The President to panic on the daily?  We have like 400(?) cases for 330m people in this Country.  I’m sure those numbers will go up, but it sure seems like an overreaction as of now. 
  • Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 827
    The right decision. And thanks to you guys for making it as early as you could.  Major bummer for me and my wife as we already have flights booked from UK to LA for the Forum and Oakland shows... Not the end of the World.
    We are not super rich people but I went all out as I was 50 in February and wanted a BIG treat!!

But again, it's the right decision and I wish everyone health and stay safe.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Not surprising but quite telling that so many attacking this decision are coming at it from the "HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT ABOUT OUR GOVERNMENT! YOU MUST WATCH CNN!" angle. It's a default position for too many nowadays. Absolute blindness that they too are guilty of making this a political issue.
    No Jimmy.  The Band(er...Eddie) made this a political issue.  And for no reason.  This administration stopped travel with China months ago when they were roundly mocked for it. This probably saved many lives in the process.  There is no playbook for an outbreak like this.   I think our government has done pretty well considering all the variables involved.   
    And you are free to think that. They are free to watch the bizarre statements our President continues to make and conclude exactly what was stated in the letter. It was a political issue long before yesterday and immediately rushing in to defend your tribe contributes to that. 
    I don’t think it was political(and never should have been political).  Nothing was going to stop this thing from spreading as long as people were traveling all over the world on planes, cruises etc....  The political party in charge wasn’t going to change any of that.  Not to mention that China was slow to report the truth.  This thing could have been here months ago for all we know.  But blame our politicians for that.  Don’t blame China for trying to keep it under wraps.  👍🏻 
    If you don't think this was political before yesterday then you either haven't been paying attention or are simply not being honest. Again, defending your tribe from any and all criticisms contributes to politicization. 
    It definitely IS political.  It just didn’t need to be.  Politicizing it doesn’t help make anyone safer.  We should all be coming together to help get through it.  Not sniping at the President in order to score political points.  
    And the President should be leading us in that task, which is the job he was elected to do. What's on his mind this morning? Does this sound like a man interested in coming together?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237340894610759680
    It looks like he’s in “business as usual” mode.  The entire virus team had a press conference yesterday.  They are doing them more frequently, as well.  I’m not sure what you want?  The President to panic on the daily?  We have like 400(?) cases for 330m people in this Country.  I’m sure those numbers will go up, but it sure seems like an overreaction as of now. 
    You are giving him a pass for his behavior and contribution to the politics of the day while accusing others of being responsible for politicizing this issue. He is the President. His words and behavior matter. No one can be blamed for reading his tweets and listening to his words and concluding exactly what Ed stated in that letter. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

• Hey Man - STOP with the trolling and comparing HIV, Drug Overdoses and Cancer deaths to concerts being postponed due to a virus that we're all still learning about.  Get a grip you're offensive AF and your posts should be deleted by the mods.
    Yes, because anything that personally offends you should be wiped from existence.
    Nope.  I think these statements pretty much offended everybody...

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,795
    MC185899 said:
    MC185899 said:

I think our government has done pretty well considering all the variables involved.   
    Do you count the person saying that they should keep people on a cruise ship for the sole purpose of not raising the statistics as one of these variables?
    You can take as much of this stuff out of context as you like.  That “person” has deferred to doctors and the people who understand the spread of infectious disease from the beginning.  Our media just wants to make it all about him so they can bludgeon him with it in the hopes it hurts his re-election chances. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Mikusxkm said:
    I am so very sad and disappointed, I actually cried..... However, I completely understand and support the difficult decision the band had to make. 
    I hope everyone here can please quit bashing each other and PJ/EV. Life is hard enough without that kind of BS, and I think it’s about time for a little peace, love and understanding. Come on people, we are and can be better than that. 

I was probably looking forward to seeing PJ again as much as anyone possibly could. My husband, our kids and their spouses and my brother were all going specifically for me. They love PJ too of course, but mostly it was meant to be a really good memory for us all. My health has been declining pretty quickly and I really am not sure how much longer I will have the stamina to go to a concert. I should know very soon whether I really am on my way out or if there is something else the docs can do for me. Either way, in an effort to try and stay positive, I am going to continue to look forward to seeing them again, just one more time! We all need something to look forward to, this is mine and I am going to hold on as tight and as long as I can. 
    Their music has been my sanity for awhile now. It makes me so happy and is a great distraction from the bad crap. I listen, love and sing my ass off with them every single day. They have no idea how much bad stuff they have helped get me through and how often they have been a part of some really great times. My life is definitely better while listening to my absolute favorite band! 

So now I will be a brat. If I can understand and respect their decision, knowing that if the shows are postponed for too long I personally might not get to see them again, then I think the negativity towards each other and the band needs to stop please. To all of the fans who are disappointed but supportive of their decision, thank you! You are the best and truest of fans and I am quite sure it is noticed and appreciated. 

Hopefully this crisis will soon end and people will not continue to suffer. 

Thank you Eddie, Stone, Matt, Mike, Jeff and Boom........ I appreciate all that you do and stand for, keep fighting the good fight and with some hope and maybe some luck I will see you again!
    Sobering post (and not bratty at all!).  I wish you well :)
  • RiderRider Posts: 125
    I am from Hillsborough NC and have gone thru the PJ show cancellation process before unfortunately.  I rarely post anymore because many of the people on here are incredibly selfish, spoiled and short sighted.  I have plenty of stake in this too - having non-refundable (?) flights on Air Canada for next week and great seats to Ottawa and QC, two fun cities.  
    BUT- I totally respect PJ's decision to post pone.  It is the right choice and I would have been stunned if they chose making $ over their fans health and safety.  This COV-19 thing is totally in limbo right now, we could have widespread quarrantines, airlines shut down, some form of martial law OR nothing much to be concerned with by May.  The point is, they did not want to put their fans (US) into a possibly bad situation and it's too early to tell.  
    Our federal government is absolutely not managing this crisis well so far and is acting out of their own interests and not the peoples.  Wake up.
    Madonna and Miley Cyrus just postponed dates too for the same reasons.  PJ is a leader not a follower, we all know that right?
    Good luck to all of us who need to untangle their travel arrangements!  Be safe!  Appreciate what you do have!

We all walk the Long Road...

Charlotte & Raleigh Lollapalooza 1992, Charlotte Memorial 1996, Tibet Freedom Concert 1998, Raleigh & Greenville 1998, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh & Camden 2003, Asheville 2004, Camden 2006, DC 2008, Atlanta 2012  Charlottesville 2013, Charlotte 2013
     Greenville, (XRaleighX) and Hampton 2016, London Hyde Park, Quebec City and Ottawa 2022, St Paul (hopefully) 2023
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    hedonist said:
    Mikusxkm said:
    I am so very sad and disappointed, I actually cried..... However, I completely understand and support the difficult decision the band had to make. 
    I hope everyone here can please quit bashing each other and PJ/EV. Life is hard enough without that kind of BS, and I think it’s about time for a little peace, love and understanding. Come on people, we are and can be better than that. 

I was probably looking forward to seeing PJ again as much as anyone possibly could. My husband, our kids and their spouses and my brother were all going specifically for me. They love PJ too of course, but mostly it was meant to be a really good memory for us all. My health has been declining pretty quickly and I really am not sure how much longer I will have the stamina to go to a concert. I should know very soon whether I really am on my way out or if there is something else the docs can do for me. Either way, in an effort to try and stay positive, I am going to continue to look forward to seeing them again, just one more time! We all need something to look forward to, this is mine and I am going to hold on as tight and as long as I can. 
    Their music has been my sanity for awhile now. It makes me so happy and is a great distraction from the bad crap. I listen, love and sing my ass off with them every single day. They have no idea how much bad stuff they have helped get me through and how often they have been a part of some really great times. My life is definitely better while listening to my absolute favorite band! 

So now I will be a brat. If I can understand and respect their decision, knowing that if the shows are postponed for too long I personally might not get to see them again, then I think the negativity towards each other and the band needs to stop please. To all of the fans who are disappointed but supportive of their decision, thank you! You are the best and truest of fans and I am quite sure it is noticed and appreciated. 

Thank you Eddie, Stone, Matt, Mike, Jeff and Boom........ I appreciate all that you do and stand for, keep fighting the good fight and with some hope and maybe some luck I will see you again!
    Ditto.  Hope they play soon for you....sounds like a great party you have planned!
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,767
    hedonist said:
    Mikusxkm said:

Indeed! Best of luck to you, @Mikusxkm!
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Can't lie... I'm pretty disappointed about the postponement.
    all that I am, all I'll be...
  • Obviously bummed, but it was the right thing to do. Nice to see tickets will be honored when the shows are rescheduled.  My only question is whether or not there will be an option to have tickets refunded.  I have some life changes coming up and may not be able to attend a show out of town in the future.  
    you're god and you've got big hands
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,795
    Obviously bummed, but it was the right thing to do. Nice to see tickets will be honored when the shows are rescheduled.  My only question is whether or not there will be an option to have tickets refunded.  I have some life changes coming up and may not be able to attend a show out of town in the future.  
    Usually you are able to pick that opttion
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • TM193128TM193128 Posts: 25
    I truly believe it s a combination of International Travel bans and flight restrictions combined with the minuscule possibility of  exposure.  Lots of fans travel far and wide to enjoy PJ.    Sucks!! but watcha gonna do??
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    While extremely disappointed about the postponement, I kinda felt like it was coming.  It is the combination of postponements, cancellations, and some family health issues that have me quite concerned and depressed all at the same time.  I understand completely, and yet I still think this piece part cancellations and changes aren't really going to do much overall.  The virus is here, it will spread.  It may not spread as fast to a large group all at one time by canceling these types of events...which does help the health care system. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Lots of big events are being canceled.  It's called going the preventative route so we don't lose a huge part of our population to something that could be avoided if we are proactive.  It's a new virus (no one has immunity), no pill (like for the FLU) no Vaccine (like for the FLU), it's a big risk for a lot of people. Our President doesn't even listen to his OWN people and gives us misinformation.  These are facts.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • dkoneildkoneil Posts: 16
    edited March 2020
    I purchased two first class tickets from DFW to STL for the show using miles and a web special - all non-refundable.  Just got off the phone with American and they are reinstating all my miles!  So happy.  The hotel was booked through American with half miles/half cash.  They will NOT reimburse.  However, they said not to cancel the hotel and sit tight.  If things change with travel bans, I might have a chance.  I hate losing money, but I knew I was taking a risk with non-refundable reservations.  This was a special trip and I was going all out.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,619
    Quebec arena posted the goal is to have it rebooked in 2020.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I don’t understand how anyone can be critical of these cancellations. There has already been an instance where a Coronavirus carrier was publicly linked to attending a Tool concert (down to the exact area of his seat). So PJ goes through with these shows, a carrier inevitably attends, we learn that an outbreak has taken place in a specific city, and we learn that a carrier potentially exposed others at the show. Some people get very sick and/or die. Is that worth having on the conscience of the band? It’s just not worth the risk, at least not until the medical community gets a bigger picture of what we’re dealing with. I love PJ, I have tickets to three postponed shows (two in GA), but I’m not selfish enough to think they’re making the wrong decision. I’ll see them when this blows over. And if it doesn’t blow over, we all have bigger problems to worry about. 
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Got 2 e-mails from MSG this morning - 

1) PJ postponed for March, you're tickets will be honored
    2) See you soon!!! The Brothers 50th Anniversary show is 8 hours away

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    The only decision I support is the decision to honor current ticketholders.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    My heart goes out to those who had tickets, especially to those seeing them for the first time.  I hope the world can overcome COVID-19 and those who had already booked their shows can see them again later.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    KN219077 said:
    I’m glad they made the decision for people, especially since many are not healthy enough to justify the risk of the concert environment. It’s the responsible thing to do. 
    So many good posts on here. Thank you Pearl Jam. We respect your decision. 
    rustedsigns
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    it's not scoring political points. it's calling it as they see it. he's a fucking idiot that is doing nothing but hurting this effort. he is spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories about a real fucking threat to his 30M followers, many of whom believe every turd that drops out of his mouth. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

tbergs said:
    Administrations fuck up the response to major issues all the time, this isn't new. Who cares if they (Ed and PJ) mentioned what is the truth right now. Are you the same people who defended the lack of response to Katrina? There are definitive steps and actions that can be taken prior to an all out pandemic. While the health of the stock market is important, it shouldn't be more important than the actual health of real people. This admin seems to be focusing on the effect instead of the cause and hoping it all just goes away when the weather warms up. Fucking stupid.

This is terrible for everyone. It's not like this isn't a huge hit financially for Pearl Jam. Months of planning, logistics and labor involved to get this tour up and now, all for naught. Sure, they can probably eat the cost better than a lot of their fan base, but there is an impact.
    yeah, this has got to be a big loss and not an easy decision to make, obviously. it seems as this is the way things are going to be for the next while with everything, so buckle down and turn on the turn table folks!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• It's not where the virus is at now as much as it's where it will be as speculated by band and management down the road based on current trend of virus and what PJ and management see as US govt Trump Whitehouse lead response or lack thereof. Also PJ being a caring corporation/business needed to make a go/no go decision now to try and mitigate the financial loss, time to re-eval, resched etc. They also have a financial stake/health of their and their employees to keep in mind. Fans finances time etc also a consideration, but if you bought with no cancellation that is on you cause you booked not the band  shit happens plan accordingly and if it hits the fan ask yourself if you did all you could to avoid getting splattered...
    Vancouver 1998, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2013 - Toronto 2000, 2003 - Gorge II 2006
    Seattle I 2009, 2013 - Calgary 2011 - Edmonton 2011
    EV solo VAN II 2008, Las Vegas I, II 2011
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 793
    You don't need to agree with everything the band says and represents, there will always be disagreements when it comes to politics(especially). For me personally, their beliefs and messages make their music that much better. This band has some of the most passionate fans I have ever seen, and they show gratitude for that in so many different ways. They care about your "average joe," even after all these years. If your'e saying things like "F*** Eddie" or "I'm done with this band", you truly do not belong in the 10c or care what this band has ever been about. Go listen to NickleBack. Hell, Dave Matthew's is touring. Break out the cargo shorts and drop your 10C membership. Good riddance.
    Why you gotta rip on cargo shorts man?  :)
  • MC185899MC185899 Posts: 76
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    it's not scoring political points. it's calling it as they see it. he's a fucking idiot that is doing nothing but hurting this effort. he is spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories about a real fucking threat to his 30M followers, many of whom believe every turd that drops out of his mouth. 
    No.  He’s not spreading misinformation.  He’s doing the best he can in a situation that nobody saw coming. How about giving him credit for stopping travel with China when most were mocking that decision?  He saved countless lives with that move.  He’s not trying to misinform anyone.  That’s pure spin. 
    MC185899 said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    MC185899 said:
    JimmyV said:
    No.  He’s not spreading misinformation.  He’s doing the best he can in a situation that nobody saw coming. How about giving him credit for stopping travel with China when most were mocking that decision?  He saved countless lives with that move.  He’s not trying to misinform anyone.  That’s pure spin. 
    the dude literally posts that the coronavirus is a dem hoax and you call that spin?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and he just tweeted that the virus is spreading because of mexican immigrants and that the wall needs to go up fast. you know how many cases mexico has?

SEVEN. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This discussion has been closed.