Options

"Gigaton" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    Updated for week ending April 25, 2020.

"Superblood Wolfmoon" continues to make small but steady gains at rock radio.

Gigaton falls out of the Billboard 200 after two weeks, but remains at No. 15 in Top Album Sales.  Harry Styles at No. 14 sold about 4,000.  Dua Lipa at No. 16 sold about 3,700.  So figure that Pearl Jam sold in the high 3,000s.  That would give it a sales trajectory of 55,000-~10,000-~4,000.  It will be hard to get to 100,000 at that rate.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,439
    BF25394 said:

Gigaton falls out of the Billboard 200 after two weeks, but remains at No. 15 in Top Album Sales.  Harry Styles at No. 14 sold about 4,000.  Dua Lipa at No. 16 sold about 3,700.  So figure that Pearl Jam sold in the high 3,000s.  That would give it a sales trajectory of 55,000-~10,000-~4,000.  It will be hard to get to 100,000 at that rate.
    Plus the streams
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    I saw Gigaton shot up to #9 on iTunes album chart after Eddie's River Cross performance on Global Citizen webcast. It's #18 today. Been in top 20 iTunes every day since Saturday. River Cross (Gigaton version) was also around #100 in iTunes Songs chart. Not on there anymore.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    T-Bone 82 said:
    I saw Gigaton shot up to #9 on iTunes album chart after Eddie's River Cross performance on Global Citizen webcast. It's #18 today. Been in top 20 iTunes every day since Saturday. River Cross (Gigaton version) was also around #100 in iTunes Songs chart. Not on there anymore.
    And on Amazon the CD has been at #3 most of the time. Fluctuating between 3 and 10. Digital between 10-26.
    Maybe Mike's appearance with Awolnation on Thursday will help a little. Other than that there's no appearance that I know of. I know someone mentioned that they'll "show up" in the Bulls documentary at the end. But that will be late May. Speaking of that documentary. It helped the Alan Parsons Project "Sirius" go to #1 on iTunes rock
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 826
    edited April 2020
    I don't think they care about sales based on the little to no media and promotional activities.  Amazing how just a brief 2 minute Eddie performance this weekend catapulted River Cross to the most popular and highest selling song on Gigaton.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    I don't think they care about sales based on the little to no media and promotional activities.  Amazing how just a brief 2 minute Eddie performance this weekend catapulted River Cross to the most popular and highest selling song on Gigaton.
    Only for this week. But Dance, SBWM, and Quick Escape were higher. SBWM was at #1 longer as well. In the rock chart
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    vedpunk said:
    I'm guessing Quick Escape was never actively promoted to radio but only a pre album release single.  Retrograde is being marketed and pushed to radio.  An official video is being produced and will be out soon.

Retrograde??? Are you kidding?

Why not 7:00 or Quick Escape? This makes no sense to me.  
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    igotid88 said:
    T-Bone 82 said:
    And on Amazon the CD has been at #3 most of the time. Fluctuating between 3 and 10. Digital between 10-26.
    Maybe Mike's appearance with Awolnation on Thursday will help a little. Other than that there's no appearance that I know of. I know someone mentioned that they'll "show up" in the Bulls documentary at the end. But that will be late May. Speaking of that documentary. It helped the Alan Parsons Project "Sirius" go to #1 on iTunes rock
    I've been listening to Sirius on a loop for the last two days. 

In fact, it's on right now

hahaha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 826
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    Only for this week. But Dance, SBWM, and Quick Escape were higher. SBWM was at #1 longer as well. In the rock chart
    Per Apple iTunes, River Cross has sold the most on the album.  Not sure about other outlets.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    Per Apple iTunes, River Cross has sold the most on the album.  Not sure about other outlets.
    Yes. For this week. But Dance and SBWM have been #1 and I believe Quick Escape as well. And those  3 were #1 on Amazon as well. Overall it has not sold the most or streamed the most.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The next best thing they can do is drop the digital price to $3.99 like Dua Lipa did
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Plus the streams
    I'm only talking about sales here.  I put no stock in streaming equivalents.  
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Plus the streams
    Yea but it counts
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Plus the streams
    Yea but it counts
    Counts toward what?  The Billboard 200?  Sure, but I said I was talking about Top Album Sales.  The streaming numbers don't offer any meaningful comparable with any other Pearl Jam studio album because they all charted on the Billboard 200 before streaming was included on that chart.  And we have no idea if 10,000 streaming equivalents means that 150,000 people streamed all 12 tracks or if 150,000 people streamed "Dance Of The Clairvoyants" 12 times each.  The former would tell us something about album consumption; the latter tells us nothing about album consumption but a lot about the popularity of the individual track.  Counting streams of individual tracks toward an album chart renders the whole thing incoherent.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Plus the streams
    Yea but it counts
    Counts toward what?  The Billboard 200?  Sure, but I said I was talking about Top Album Sales.  The streaming numbers don't offer any meaningful comparable with any other Pearl Jam studio album because they all charted on the Billboard 200 before streaming was included on that chart.  And we have no idea if 10,000 streaming equivalents means that 150,000 people streamed all 12 tracks or if 150,000 people streamed "Dance Of The Clairvoyants" 12 times each.  The former would tell us something about album consumption; the latter tells us nothing about album consumption but a lot about the popularity of the individual track.  Counting streams of individual tracks toward an album chart renders the whole thing incoherent.
    I don't disagree. But those numbers will count towards it going gold, platinum, or diamond
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Plus the streams
    Yea but it counts
    I don't disagree. But those numbers will count towards it going gold, platinum, or diamond
    Oh, I see.  That's true, but it doesn't seem like it has a snowball's chance in hell of getting to gold if its top streaming week is 12,000.  It was streamed so little this week that it didn't rank among the Billboard 200 despite being No. 15 in sales.
  • Options
    I think The Strokes dropped out of the 200 already.
    Let's see if River Cross makes one of the rock charts next week
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    While Billboard had Gigaton at #66 on the 2nd week
    Rollingstone chart had it at #121 with 7.3k album units. 4.6k album sales, 1.1k song sales, and 2.5 million song streams
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    down to 66 on top 200 after one week
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:
    That was a week ago. Such a great album. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:
    You should read the rest of this thread for up-to-date information and context.  Or at least look at the original post.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Plus the streams
    Yea but it counts
    By the way, the other thing to keep in mind about RIAA certifications is that, even if they could somehow get to 500,000, they would have to seek certification from the RIAA.  It's not automatic.  Given that the band doesn't seem to care, and that it's not free, I'd be surprised if they bothered.  In the past, the record company had an incentive to do this and the record company paid for it.  They're on their own label now, and the distributor would almost certainly not shell out for this.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Plus the streams
    Yea but it counts
    By the way, the other thing to keep in mind about RIAA certifications is that, even if they could somehow get to 500,000, they would have to seek certification from the RIAA.  It's not automatic.  Given that the band doesn't seem to care, and that it's not free, I'd be surprised if they bothered.  In the past, the record company had an incentive to do this and the record company paid for it.  They're on their own label now, and the distributor would almost certainly not shell out for this.
    Yea. I figured that also. But Just Breathe got platinum and they weren't in a label then. But I would think Jeremy should be platinum by now and Alive gold? Heck, Last Kiss should be platinum by now.
    And does a song have to be an official single to be eligible now? I'm not sure how it works in the streaming age
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 902
    Seems weird to me that a band that can sell out safeco field 2 nights can’t sell 100k albums when the album is quite good. Does no one own music anymore? 
  • Options
    KN219077 said:
    Seems weird to me that a band that can sell out safeco field 2 nights can’t sell 100k albums when the album is quite good. Does no one own music anymore? 
    Not as much as before. It's all about streaming. And also with Pearl Jam. Some of their fans only want the live stuff.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DLeydeDLeyde Pennsylvania Posts: 11
    I’ve listened to the album at least once all the way through everyday since it came out, but this is the first physical PJ album I haven’t purchased yet.  Spotify has made it kind of unnecessary to buy an album which is why the sales are lower than expected.  The band is compensated for streaming plays but I have no idea how that compares to a record purchase.  The album is amazing.  It deserves to be heard and I really appreciate that my favorite band still kicks ass this far into their career.   
  • Options
    DLeyde said:
    I’ve listened to the album at least once all the way through everyday since it came out, but this is the first physical PJ album I haven’t purchased yet.  Spotify has made it kind of unnecessary to buy an album which is why the sales are lower than expected.  The band is compensated for streaming plays but I have no idea how that compares to a record purchase.  The album is amazing.  It deserves to be heard and I really appreciate that my favorite band still kicks ass this far into their career.   
    Very low compared to buying the album. Do you have a paid subscription or free? If paid you would have to do what you do 1500 more times for it to equal 1 sale.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    DLeyde said:
    Unnecessary, perhaps, but you get better sound quality and the package, which is something the band put a lot of time into creating and which can enhance the experience of listening to the record.  I realize these advantages aren't as valuable to everyone as they are to me.
  • Options
    KN219077 said:
    Keep a couple of things in mind.  A significant portion of the crowd at a two-night event consists of the same people attending both shows.  So 80,000 people over two nights might only be 50,000 unique individuals.  Second, of those say 50,000 unique individuals, a very large number of them have very little interest in anything the band has done since 1998; for some people, it's 1994.  They haven't bought a Pearl Jam album this century and they're not going to start now.

Finally, while this album was probably never going to sell much more than 100,000 copies its first week-- if that-- it was released into an unprecedented retail environment that had to negatively affect sales.

(And this is without even answering the question of whether the Ten Club reports direct sales to Nielsen Soundscan.  It is possible that they do not.)
  • Options
    I was wondering if the Apple TV things would move the needle. But so far it's dropping on ITunes and Amazon digital.  CD is still doing good
    I miss igotid88